Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows or OS X

MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
I don't really need to know about or care about  peoples preferences for Windows or OS X.  I'd ask a question that actually pertains to my situation, but what's the point if people are just going to talk about a windows machine versus a OS X machine?  So since that's what people want to talk about please do it here.  

Comments

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    This is never a good spot to ask for any kind of advice in regards to a Mac.  Most people on this forum fall into a hardcore gamer category which Macs are not made for.  They can't see past their own needs in a machine to offer advice in that regard.  If you have already stated you are getting a Mac then the advice should never be "get a pc".  That is useless.  In the case of the thread you refer to the answer is the 15 in Macbook pro with retina that has an Nvidia chip is really the only option for gaming.  If you want just want to play Final Fantasy like you said and that isn't an option then I would go with an Iris Pro over the Iris.  The Iris is HD 5100 and the Pro is HD 5200.  They meet minimum specs so don't expect great performance but they will run the game as it is currently.  I can't guarantee it will continue to run the game as updates change the minimum configuration requirements though.  
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Magiknight
    I don't really need to know about or care about  peoples preferences for Windows or OS X.  I'd ask a question that actually pertains to my situation, but what's the point if people are just going to talk about a windows machine versus a OS X machine?  So since that's what people want to talk about please do it here.  

It's really simple. You pick an OS that supports your production and software needs.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Magiknight

It's really simple. You pick an OS that supports your production and software needs.

Exactly.  Gaming options on OS X are limited.  Most games are made for Windows and very few support Linux or OS X.  This includes the MMO market.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Windows, OS X or Linux all depends on what you want to use your PC for.

If you game then Windows is best (but go for 7,not 8).

OS X is good if you work with media. It is also very user friendly.

Linux is the fastest one so if you aren't a gamer but are good with computers. It is more complicated to use then the other 2 and far more secure.

Saying one is better than the others aren't really fair since they have different ups and downs, pick the one you like best that supports what you do with your computer.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

I might as well explain the context of this thread, since people don't seem to be ignoring it as I hoped.  The original poster isn't actually interested in a Windows versus Mac discussion.  Rather, he started another thread basically asking, "Which Intel integrated graphics should I use for games?"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/425098/Iris-VS-Iris-Pro.html

And then he got upset with an answer of "neither" and started this thread to try to tell people in that thread to go away from that thread and come here.  Even for someone dead set on a Mac, if you're going to play games on it, you want a discrete card, whether from AMD or Nvidia.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I actually don't see how OS X is useful at all. I work primarily with 3D CAD applications and the Adobe Suite. The difference is you don't have the same level of hardware choices with OS X that makes it unideal for a workstation. This also applies to audio and compositing. I think the only thing making OS X ideal in media is the long period of usage. The professionals have gotten used to using it and like any other person who has gotten used to a product, have a difficult time with change.

In terms of security, Windows is better where as OS X is pretty much open to a plethora of vulnerabilities proven every year during the computer security summit. In terms of usability, Windows 8 is one of the most usable and stable OSs to come out in a while.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

May as well be asking "Pie or Cake" -- why not both?

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245

I no longer care what a bunch of parrots repeating every negative thing about Apple products they have read other parrots repeat on the Internet when they have never even touched an Apple product. 

Ignore them.

This discussion has been closed.