Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BEWARE: Steam Sales Price Manipulation.

KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394

DayZ Stand Alone, the game that is still in early Alpha with less features and stability than the original mod is now "On Sale on Steam".

Price before: $29.99 | 23.99 Euro

Then they Increased the base price so new sales price is almost the same as before

Price now: $29.74 | 23.79 Euro

----

They increased the base price right before the sales. This is called misleading advertisement and a punishable offense under European Law.

Comments

• mmorpglover1mmorpglover1 Member Posts: 49

Thanks for the heads up but Im not buying it anyway although its on my wishlist.

I go to g2a.com to buy my steam and origin games anyway.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by Kangaroomouse

DayZ Stand Alone, the game that is still in early Alpha with less features and stability than the original mod is now "On Sale on Steam".

----

They increased the base price right before the sales. This is called misleading advertisement and a punishable offense under European Law.

Why is it misleading?

23.79 < 23.99

It's on sale even if the price difference is couple of cents. If they actually put it on sale and made a higher price we could talk about misleading the consumer.

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388

its corrects. its a sale even if its 0.00001 cents lower.

sale: the price at which something sells or is sold at after its price has been reduced

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow
    Originally posted by Kangaroomouse

----

Why is it misleading?

23.79 < 23.99

It's on sale even if the price difference is couple of cents. If they actually put it on sale and made a higher price we could talk about misleading the consumer.

I think he meant to say that the regular price before was $29.99/23.99  and that the sale price now is $29.74/23.79 after 15% off of the regular price of $35 which it is now.

I find it interesting that they raised the price $5 on this game, are there really that many people buying it and loving it to justify this? Did they make the game bigger or better? Or are there really not many buying it and they are trying to recoup losses? 

Anyhow the price is moving in the wrong direction for it to interest me.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

It's been a year and DayZ is still the same crapy underdeveloped game as it was back than. Clunky, unoptimized, full of bugy "features".

Even ISS is ahead (my opinion).

SOE  will have easy time throning H1Z1 as the king of this ganre (not saying they can't fail).

At this point I'd advise everyone to wait for H1Z1 to catch up, in half a year it will most likely be miles ahead of DayZ.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

You're right. 

I think someone should actually try contacting Steam about this and tell them. I doubt it's their intention to allow advertisements that are this clearly in violation of EU law.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

What would run foul of the trading standards is the 15% claim. In such matters the item has to have been on sale at the higher price for a period of time (typically at least 21 days).

Fortunately in the EU this sort of thing can simply be reported to trading standards bodies.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

First off i doubt anyone cares enough to actually file a claim,

Secondly i would think it is fairly pointless as all Valve need to do is take the sale down. In fact by the time anyone take a look at the claim the sale is probably over.

But by all means knock your self out.

This have been a good conversation

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Things like this happen in retail all the time, it isn't against the law as long as the wording doesn't say anything to make it not true. We could have sales in our store that would say really big 50% OFF and underneath smaller it would say "and under" so it would be able to be less than 50% off. It's just stupid marketing.
  • crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Reminds me of this electronics retail company in my country that sells barely entry level gaming PCs and then sets the normal price to like 699 eur and then they make it look like it is having a huge discount and put it to like 499, where in reality, the pc is so shit that it isn't even worth 499. 

Cheap and annoying shit, I just avoid buying from companies that do that. Not even gonna waste my nerves and start fighting it. Enjoy ripping off the idiots I guess.