Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP F2P

I remember a post from SWTOR a while back saying they were going to make PVP unlimited for F2P. Did this ever happen? If not, is there a time frame? This is the main reason I quit logging in more than just when I get the Star  Wars itch.

Comments

• CalgorCalgor Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by Delusive
    I remember a post from SWTOR a while back saying they were going to make PVP unlimited for F2P. Did this ever happen? If not, is there a time frame? This is the main reason I quit logging in more than just when I get the Star  Wars itch.

http://www.swtor.com/FREE/features

According to this its still 5 per week for F2P and Preferred.

• frosty73frosty73 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    you can buy a weekly pass to the warzones on the gtn for around 275k and play unlimited for 1 week.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

There was a recent Q&A in which the topic came up; there was a thread created a few weeks ago.

One of the questions was - basically - about how long it was taking to get enough players together and whether there were any plans to expand f2p. In response the devs gave a response that implied very few f2p players were active and of those that were only a small percentage did so on a regular basis.

The devs went on to say they were looking at other ways of addressing the issue; the implication being that things are not going to change.

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319
    Originally posted by gervaise1

There was a recent Q&A in which the topic came up; there was a thread created a few weeks ago.

One of the questions was - basically - about how long it was taking to get enough players together and whether there were any plans to expand f2p. In response the devs gave a response that implied very few f2p players were active and of those that were only a small percentage did so on a regular basis.

The devs went on to say they were looking at other ways of addressing the issue; the implication being that things are not going to change.

That's interesting but maybe not too surprising, considering swtor has one of the most restrictive f2p models in the industry.

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

With the restrictions they put on F2Pers earning requisition in Galactic Starfigher, and the liklehood they'd do the same to PVP, I don't want a bunch of F2Pers dragging my team down. I am sorry but if you have more F2Pers in your GSF match than the other guys have its a loss more often than not. No matter how good you are if you are running one of two of the most basic ships in the game, with little to no upgrades, its REALLY hard to compete. Not impossible but you are gimped coming right out of the gate. PVP is much along the same lines, there is a point at which skill cannot make up for lack of gear if the other guys are skilled as well.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    It's really dumb of them to restrict PvP at all. This would be a great way to gate people into the rest of the game, and having fully participant PvPers makes that part of the game work. Bioware seems to have a good supply of idiots still making bad decisions.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
    Originally posted by Archlyte
    It's really dumb of them to restrict PvP at all. This would be a great way to gate people into the rest of the game, and having fully participant PvPers makes that part of the game work. Bioware seems to have a good supply of idiots still making bad decisions.

At lower levels having it open to all wouldn't be bad as nobody has PVP gear, but at lvl 60 having a bunch of undergeared people constantly running around would be brutal to those of us looking to be competitive, even in unranked matches it would be a huge drag.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by Calgor
    Originally posted by Archlyte

At lower levels having it open to all wouldn't be bad as nobody has PVP gear, but at lvl 60 having a bunch of undergeared people constantly running around would be brutal to those of us looking to be competitive, even in unranked matches it would be a huge drag.

I agree, I think they should have allowed better gear and all that for PvP purposes. I don't blame you for not wanting F2P with you in PvP with the way they did it. It was stupid to restrict Free Players on the PvP game the way they did.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by leinad312

That's interesting but maybe not too surprising, considering swtor has one of the most restrictive f2p models in the industry.

So swtor isn't a welfare mmorpg.  Freeloaders can go find other games that a great for them.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

People still spout this garbage?

I guess farming for 3 hours for the credits  required for a weeks worth of  PvP is to "restrictive"  

Lower PvP rewards for non-subs are also countered by boosts, and valor boosts are always dirt cheap. I'm talking loot 10 max level enemies  cheap. . .

I honestly thought the Hate spewed nonsense for SWTOR would die down after AA came along, foolish me. . .

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

That's pretty interesting, because i'm pretty sure their pvp restrictions are actually keeping f2p players away.  If they actually opened up pvp to be unlimited, those f2p players would stick around, and probably use the cartel market for armor and other things.  Ironically their f2p model keeps f2p players away.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by waynejr2

So swtor isn't a welfare mmorpg.  Freeloaders can go find other games that a great for them.

They already have, and that's why swtor is struggling for players.  Have you been on the fleet lately?  A couple hundred during prime time hours.  I remember when there used to be 500+ with multiple instances of fleet, on both sides.

People like you think f2p players want everything free which isn't true.  They just want to pay for things that are actually worth paying for.  $15 a month isn't worth it to them, when they can get a better experience in other MMO's that doesn't charge a monthly subscription.

Originally posted by observer

That's pretty interesting, because i'm pretty sure their pvp restrictions are actually keeping f2p players away.  If they actually opened up pvp to be unlimited, those f2p players would stick around, and probably use the cartel market for armor and other things.  Ironically their f2p model keeps f2p players away.

Their F2P model isn't about keeping F2P players around, its to give them a taste so they eventually sub.

Originally posted by waynejr2

They already have, and that's why swtor is struggling for players.  Have you been on the fleet lately?  A couple hundred during prime time hours.  I remember when there used to be 500+ with multiple instances of fleet, on both sides.

People like you think f2p players want everything free which isn't true.  They just want to pay for things that are actually worth paying for.  $15 a month isn't worth it to them, when they can get a better experience in other MMO's that doesn't charge a monthly subscription.

Log on to Harbinger, its a couple hundred...per instance during prime hours lol, SWTOR is doing just fine.

Originally posted by sayuu

People still spout this garbage?

I guess farming for 3 hours for the credits  required for a weeks worth of  PvP is to "restrictive"  

Lower PvP rewards for non-subs are also countered by boosts, and valor boosts are always dirt cheap. I'm talking loot 10 max level enemies  cheap. . .

I honestly thought the Hate spewed nonsense for SWTOR would die down after AA came along, foolish me. . .

Hating on SWTOR will always be the cool thing to do for some. Facts be damned when their is vitriol to be had.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by observerPeople like you think f2p players want everything free which isn't true.

Yep, people do not want everything for free, only things that matter to them, anything else can be available in cash shops.

Once there is something worth the money in the cash shop, all of sudden you get people screaming "P2W", "the most restrictive f2p models in the industry", "worst F2P ever", etc...

Apparently those people find the items in cash shop worthy, they do not want to pay for them tho.

Originally posted by Gdemami

People like you think f2p players want everything free which isn't true.

Yep, people do not want everything for free, only things that matter to them, anything else can be available in cash shops.

Everything matters to someone, so while any one person might not want it all, collectively they want everything for free.

• DelusiveDelusive Member Posts: 151

I didn't mean for this to become a war between F2P and Subs. I simply wanted to bring up the fact that SWTOR devs themselves mentioned removing the PVP restrictions over a year ago, and was asking if a date had ever been determined.

• FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282

Mostly playing as Preffered myself and I don't do much pvp.  I think the free unranked pvp for f2p/preffered was abandoned and will probably never happen.  However if you team up with a friend you will get unlimted acces.  That's how it was before 3.0 antways.  Maybe it was a bug I don't know,  and maybe the friend has to be subscribed I'm not sure.

All I can say is it worked for me a while back.  Quite a while back though.