Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft: The Troubling State of Rogue

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Just about anything you could do with Rogue since Naxxramas, you’d be better served doing with the game’s other classes. And now with Goblins vs. Gnomes, things appear to have gotten worse.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Hearthstone: The Troubling State of Rogue.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    First Leeory, then auctioneer...I used to like playing miracle but it just seems ruined now.
  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Rogue is really weak outside of Miracle.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

This is one of my biggest gripes about Hearthstone, the class disparity. Some classes have multiple builds that offer different ways of playing the game, while other classes (like the Rogue) have basically one way of actually making it work. Additionally, Blizzard doesn't seem to care too much as long as people are buying packs. Making a whole new expansion of sorts (GvG) has seemingly taken up a lot of the attention of the dev team, but yet there hasn't been much in the way of actual class balancing.

Ironically, this was the same issue many iterations of WoW...class disparity. Well, there's something to be said for consistency even across genres.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I do agree a lot on Rogue suffering outside the Miracle Rogue deck,it has seen some good times outside of that deck.

Backspace Rogue is one of the more famous decks,built basically as a speed deck.

SO happens just today i was goofing around as i play to have fun ,i play the decks i consider FUN.I happen to play a Rogue that was not Miracle and had a super long game.I actually had two games today that  went into fatigue,one of course was versus a Priest but the Rogue game stood out because i have never had a non Miracle Rogue match that went into Fatigue.

I think i won the game ,lol i played about 10 games and cant remember exactly what went down in every game.Point however is not that i won or lost it was a real fun match,i was playing Day9 Echo mage versus this Rogue.The Rogue was very patient,more so than i expected,i guess because they need to wait for a reaction play to combo.

I believe the real problem with the game is not so much the cards but the HERO power.The reason is simple most ideas you can do are better with certain classes.Example why play a rush or Zoo type deck outside of Warlocks very powerful card draw.SO what happens is players start adding Oracle or Jeeves for card draw,it takes up a valuable space in the deck that a Warlock does not need to add.

This is Day9 video of his Panda Rogue deck.This dude is a great person for the community of gaming,he is funny and above all else,he plays to have FUN and yo ucan see it in his face,he really does have fun.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224
    Well said Mike!
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I just feel like Goblins and Gnomes created a major issue where you can lose a game in the first draw. People are literally getting the perfect hands because the cards work so well together that they can decide a game in the first turn. I think they made too many of the cards synergize too well with each other so it just turns into who can draw combos first. Although I don't main a rogue I have played a bit and feel like it is the same as it was before, and that isn't really a good thing.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

@Panther,you are pretty much correct on the power of the starting hands and draws.I mentioned it to RDU when he was winning and he kind of got mad,like don't you dare down play my wins.Then he proceded to lose like 5 in a row and was whining about rng luck and how they had all the answers.He then went on to complain about his opponents luck and having answers all night because he was at rank 5 Legend and ended up losing more than 50% of his games over 10 hours and ended up i think 37.

Point is that this game is as i mentioned on Mike's disappointment in Rogue cards,not so much really about the cards.The whole design allows players to play their combos uncontested,so it becomes all about the RNG luck of getting your answers and combos and less about player skill and choice.

I find it funny watching the supposed pros b rag on "Zoo" is the best deck because it is the most consistent,then lose 5 in a row and quit playing Zoo and try 20 different decks all with the same result,comes down to RNG luck.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

2 things here. One is that Blizzard can't balance. They just shuffle things around a bit. They start from what's good and what isn't and buff what isn't and nerf what's good. Their problem is they look at the present situation and don't consider what the meta will be after the patch, so they often ignore things that don't need work but buff everything else to the point where the ignored class or spec shouldn't have been ignored. They also tend to see a class as a success if it has one working strategy.

The second thing is, people who are far better than you at it have already figured out how to build a class. With rogues, it's miracle. That's how it is, you can accept it and play miracle for the win or you can keep going with your homebrew for fun. Thinking your homebrews will ever compete in a competitive environment is ridiculousness. Doesn't mean you can't perfect it for fun, but writing articles about how it's not panning out means you need to accept how TCGs work.