Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No flying experiment has failed in WoD

Comments

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Overpopulated sky and underpopulated ground is one of the things that killed world pvp and led me to leave the game . OP obviously likes the care bear aspect of WoW just wish Blizzard would stop catering to people like him . 
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Hoplites

unlike other MMO's that age with time, this is the first that has made playing content at level cap more painful and reduced replay value.

What a shame.

Couldn't disagree with you more, much better game because of it. Makes the world feel alive again.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631
    Originally posted by anothername
    Originally posted by askdaboss

Fun fact. Should Blizz introduce flying those 67,34 still have the 100% ability to continue to enjoy not to fly while, and thats the magic, the 32,66 who does not like the no fly would also enjoy the then hypotetical added ability to do so. Massice 100% instead of just 67% enjoy now! Minus the few who does not enjoy that other can do something they enjoy now, but no one should care for those few rotten trolls.

That being said I really like WoD overall, I actually do like to ride the rivendare mount (which I also have done in areas I could fly) and I will totally not cry "doom" for the lack of flying. Just saying I like flying I think the reasoning behind the drop of it is as stupid as the support of doing so since nobody forces anybody to do so.

Agree, also I think all characters should have a skill that kills in one shot any creature, on a short cooldown (normal or boss creature).

Personally it annoys to be limited when I'm trying to experience the content (groups, boss raids and all) when I don't necessarily have the time or group to do it. This way, whoever still wants to kill bosses and creatures the "old way" can still do it, whereas people like me who want to experience the story/lore faster can do so.

And everyone is happy.

Oh, come on. You can do better. This analogy was as lame as it was wrong.

I'm serious, one of the reasons why I stopped playing WoW is because I didn't have the time/group to experience content. If we can change the rules of the game, then that's what I would change. Or non elite dungeons.

Also it would be optional, so wouldn't affect you at all.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Kuinn

unlike other MMO's that age with time, this is the first that has made playing content at level cap more painful and reduced replay value.

What a shame.

67,34% of players answered that they are enjoying the no-fly of WoD in mmochampion poll.

(Total Votes: 220,270k)

Fun fact. Should Blizz introduce flying those 67,34 still have the 100% ability to continue to enjoy not to fly while, and thats the magic, the 32,66 who does not like the no fly would also enjoy the then hypotetical added ability to do so. Massice 100% instead of just 67% enjoy now! Minus the few who does not enjoy that other can do something they enjoy now, but no one should care for those few rotten trolls.

That being said I really like WoD overall, I actually do like to ride the rivendare mount (which I also have done in areas I could fly) and I will totally not cry "doom" for the lack of flying. Just saying I like flying I think the reasoning behind the drop of it is as stupid as the support of doing so since nobody forces anybody to do so.

The lack of flying in WoD has improved the gameplay for many people, and Blizzard has already stated via tweets that flying isn't a possibility in the next major patch.

If you look at the overall design of WoD, the ability to fly would more or less destroy much of the intended design. Resources, rares, loot caches, bonus objectives and easter eggs have been placed in hard to reach/out of the way areas. Flying would negate all of that design. Improved game design is never a "stupid" reason as your last sentence would suggest.

Personally, I feel Blizzard made the correct decision to ground us for the time being. They've effectively changed how the game in played in a major way. Additionally, this also shows that Blizzard is consciously making decisions to create differing nuances for their expansion areas without becoming overly predictable. I'm looking forward to the nuances they introduce in the future.

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    There is a reason the eagles dont show up until the end of lord of the rings. Its not as exciting if one shows up in the shire and drops frodo off at the base of the mountain a day later.

Not all who wander are lost...

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Did they actually say why?

IMO and having known every Blizzard release is they are tired of players finding glitch's in maps.Blizzard is maybe the worst out there for releasing  tons of glitched maps,Soe is th eking of bugs but Blizzard has a weak mapping team.I don't mind flying to some degree,did as a form of travel in EQ2 however i have seen it's ugly downside in Aion.

If i had a choice i don't think i could sway either way,i rather leave it up to the developer,however if it left the game as was in Aion i would definitely say NO.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Agree, also I think all characters should have a skill that kills in one shot any creature, on a short cooldown (normal or boss creature).

Personally it annoys to be limited when I'm trying to experience the content (groups, boss raids and all) when I don't necessarily have the time or group to do it. This way, whoever still wants to kill bosses and creatures the "old way" can still do it, whereas people like me who want to experience the story/lore faster can do so.

And everyone is happy.

I'm serious, one of the reasons why I stopped playing WoW is because I didn't have the time/group to experience content. If we can change the rules of the game, then that's what I would change. Or non elite dungeons.

Also it would be optional, so wouldn't affect you at all.

Honestly, a dungeon probably takes you an hour. If you don't want to wait in queue, roll a tank. Instaqueues and half hour or hour long dungeon runs (even on heroic). Shoot, even the new Raid Finder setup splits raids into wings that shouldn't take more than an hour to clear. Are you honestly saying that you don't have 1 hour to dedicate? If you don't then you're probably right, it's probably not the game for you. There are a metric crap ton of awesome SP RPGs though that you should be able to drop in and out of. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

Very disappointed that there is no flying in WOD. Sorry, after leveling up my 4th alt I am tired or riding and walking all over the place.

One of the reasons that WOW is one of my favorite games is flying. It is the closest to real flying you can get and I love the feeling of seeing things from above.

The "flying breaks immersion" argument is laughable. You see griffons and bats carrying people everywhere - and we can't do it? Stupid.

I think that eventually Blizzard will bring it back just due to greed. No flying mount = less money players spend real money on mounts.  I have not bought a mount since WOD started. Bring back flying and I might think about buying another one.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Betaguy

What a shame.

Couldn't disagree with you more, much better game because of it. Makes the world feel alive again.

How would it make any difference in how alive the world feels?

Then again I have never once understood why people are against the idea of flying mounts in the first place, or bypassing seas of uninteresting mobs, etc... Wanna walk through the world, walk through it but don't complain because someone else isn't, that should have no effect on your personal experience.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• hidrohidro Member UncommonPosts: 52
    I for one am enjoying the no flying. It prompts other players to join you when fighting that rare spawn, or group of mobs and also makes the game feel more populated. If you really miss flying that much get that feather item that permits you to fly on a cooldown... I got it as a reward from a tavern daily.

Console Esports?
    www.supergamebowl.com

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I disagree. I think flying mounts was one of the worst things to hit WoW.

While flying was fun when it was first introduced, I think overall it was a negative.  I partially blame flying for the ruining of Azeroth in cata as they had to redo so many zones for the graphics.

OP, cry harder.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

having the convenience of flying for so long was detrimental to the game. People (including myself) got used to be more lazy when traveling, to a point where lots of them (that i didnt do lol) would even pay a lot of gold for a mage teleport instead manually moving around.

I love that there are no flying mounts in Draenor. Even though i spend 24/7 in my garrison with my only lvl 100 character, i enjoyed the ride through all the maps. And there are still flight masters so its not like we are completely limited to walking/riding.

It is a smart move, the game feels much more alive now that everyone is on foot. Im leveling again on a PvP server now to see how violent draenor can get lol

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Honestly, I was a bit upset when they weren't going to add flight in draenor but honestly it doesn't need it. That isn't really a good thing though. The more I played, the more I realized how "lazy" this expansion has been so far. There isn't really much replayability. Sure people will say garrisons but all they do is make you play like one of those simulation games, sending people on missions, managing work orders, and farming resources to build more. Gets old doing that on 5-6 characters.
  • anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by anothername Fun fact. Should Blizz introduce flying those 67,34 still have the 100% ability to continue to enjoy not to fly while, and thats the magic, the 32,66 who does not like the no fly would also enjoy the then hypotetical added ability to do so. Massice 100% instead of just 67% enjoy now! Minus the few who does not enjoy that other can do something they enjoy now, but no one should care for those few rotten trolls. That being said I really like WoD overall, I actually do like to ride the rivendare mount (which I also have done in areas I could fly) and I will totally not cry "doom" for the lack of flying. Just saying I like flying I think the reasoning behind the drop of it is as stupid as the support of doing so since nobody forces anybody to do so.
    Agree, also I think all characters should have a skill that kills in one shot any creature, on a short cooldown (normal or boss creature). Personally it annoys to be limited when I'm trying to experience the content (groups, boss raids and all) when I don't necessarily have the time or group to do it. This way, whoever still wants to kill bosses and creatures the "old way" can still do it, whereas people like me who want to experience the story/lore faster can do so. And everyone is happy.
    I'm serious, one of the reasons why I stopped playing WoW is because I didn't have the time/group to experience content. If we can change the rules of the game, then that's what I would change. Or non elite dungeons. Also it would be optional, so wouldn't affect you at all.

Depending on when you stopped you should have indeed a lot of dungeons end even raids (excluding pandaria) ahead of you that you can solo; myself have not found the time too for bother with the new dungeons yet but if what others said is true and they are just about 30 min that should not be much trouble. The times of 3h LBRS are long over.

Originally posted by Kaneth

Originally posted by Kuinn

Originally posted by Hoplites unlike other MMO's that age with time, this is the first that has made playing content at level cap more painful and reduced replay value. What a shame. .
    67,34% of players answered that they are enjoying the no-fly of WoD in mmochampion poll. (Total Votes: 220,270k)
    Fun fact. Should Blizz introduce flying those 67,34 still have the 100% ability to continue to enjoy not to fly while, and thats the magic, the 32,66 who does not like the no fly would also enjoy the then hypotetical added ability to do so. Massice 100% instead of just 67% enjoy now! Minus the few who does not enjoy that other can do something they enjoy now, but no one should care for those few rotten trolls. That being said I really like WoD overall, I actually do like to ride the rivendare mount (which I also have done in areas I could fly) and I will totally not cry "doom" for the lack of flying. Just saying I like flying I think the reasoning behind the drop of it is as stupid as the support of doing so since nobody forces anybody to do so.
    The lack of flying in WoD has improved the gameplay for many people, and Blizzard has already stated via tweets that flying isn't a possibility in the next major patch. If you look at the overall design of WoD, the ability to fly would more or less destroy much of the intended design. Resources, rares, loot caches, bonus objectives and easter eggs have been placed in hard to reach/out of the way areas. Flying would negate all of that design. Improved game design is never a "stupid" reason as your last sentence would suggest. Personally, I feel Blizzard made the correct decision to ground us for the time being. They've effectively changed how the game in played in a major way. Additionally, this also shows that Blizzard is consciously making decisions to create differing nuances for their expansion areas without becoming overly predictable. I'm looking forward to the nuances they introduce in the future.

But I already explored the spires of Arak while leveling, I already climbed the Nagrand mountains and carefully not fell to death on getting the hidden treasures.

I do understand that a lot of the cool to find stuff would by far less cool with flying involved; but its only cool the first time. I would not even bothered if they would making the fly unlock possible by a series of quests (req lvl 100) that involve lots of climbing and jumping instead of a dude who asks for a bunch of gold and put some kind of turbulent air zones around a fistful of their most special places which just dismount you after a warning if getting to close.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Distopia

What a shame.

Then again I have never once understood why people are against the idea of flying mounts in the first place, or bypassing seas of uninteresting mobs, etc... Wanna walk through the world, walk through it but don't complain because someone else isn't, that should have no effect on your personal experience.

Ah but it does.  Building a proper MMORPG world requires a consistent rule set for everyone, so we both must abide by the same ones. 

As for my personal experience, I want to interact with you.  I don't want you flying over my head, I want you on the ground right there with me so I can see you, interact with you, gank you, whatever, I want you in front of me, so that whatever encounters between players can actually take place, flying and other forms of fast travel negate that completely.  Good for you perhaps, but who really cares about you, I only care about me and want games designed to cater to my tastes.

Originally posted by hidro
    I for one am enjoying the no flying. It prompts other players to join you when fighting that rare spawn, or group of mobs and also makes the game feel more populated. If you really miss flying that much get that feather item that permits you to fly on a cooldown... I got it as a reward from a tavern daily.

See, this guys gets it, he understands exactly why no flying is a good thing, making the game feel more populated is a primary objective of a MMO, so it makes sense to limit game mechanics that discourage it.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

What a shame.

I think the trash talk about flying is mostly hipster stuff at the worst and strong desire for a nostalgic association with vanilla wow at best. I'd be willing to be most of the people who don't fly make heavy use of the quick travel points dotting the landscape and quick travel to group instances.

Phry even said above that if people really wanted to experience the world and walk everywhere they should remove dungeon fast travel. Kyleran's response was that walking to dungeons would be boring.

So we can conclude that walking everywhere not to dungeons is really interesting and makes the world feel alive but walking to dungeons is boring and redundant. Flying is bad if the play can do it, but flying on a fast travel mount only makes sense. Gamer logic in full force.

First of all I was only explaining the reasoning,not defending it.  I'm a die hard EVE player, I fully support long travel times and only grudgingly accept personal mounts (your Minstrel should be boosting you) flight path vendors (I've skipped them on many occasions and ridden through the world just for the heck of it) and totally abhor dungeon finders.

But in the case of dungeons, face it, in WOW you re-run them sometimes up to 100 times to get the gear you want (well, you used to back in the day) so why make people take the exact same trip 100 times.  In the situational flying it's likely you won't fly over the same path more than a dozen times so it's not as necessary to have fast travel. (again, not that I agree there ever should be any)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I think it was a good decision, flying mounts might be cool but they hurt the gameplay and shouldn't have been implemented from the start.

There are some type of games where flying mounts would add to the gameplay, if you were making a Dragonlance game with specific and good mechanics for it then it would be fine but for most MMOs they only make the gameworld smaller.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Aside from the super hero genre (for obvious reasons), how many MMOs have successfully implemented flight where it actually enhanced the game and not detract from it?

I played Anarchy Online for years. The game had flight. But they did the same thing WoW just did. When Shadowlands released.........no flight in the new maps.

• HoplitesHoplites Member CommonPosts: 463

Fundamental problem is that without flying mounts, WoW has the worse travel system in the entire MMO industry.  For a pay 2 play MMO to have such terrible travel options in the year 2014 is unacceptable and not worthy of a sub.

When free 2 play and freemiums offer better travel systems than a p2p something is seriously amiss.

Reality is that, the lack of content pushed the WoW devs to make a myopic decision to restrict flying mounts while leaving in place the terrible flight paths and poorly designed maps for ground mounts.

Vanilla had properly designed maps for ground mounts in comparison and obviously a lot more content.  The best designed content came in WotLK which integrated flying mounts as part of the player experience (eg. flying quest hub, Stormpeaks).

It has become an industry standard to have good transportation options for players.  Without flight in WoW, it discourages player exploration and interaction as most players just sit in their garrisons now.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I can understand the OP's point of view.  After years of flying in WoW, it actually made traveling more convenient.

• Gathering professions was made easier with flying.
    • Flying saved time while doing Archaeology.
    • Getting to places while flying is actually faster than using flightpaths for some routes.
    • Flying up to zeppelins was easier.
    • Immersive viewpoints for machinima and screenshots.
    • etc.
    There were many positive things with flying, and it's sad to see people dismissing the entire concept and only listing the negatives.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Fundamental problem is that without flying mounts, WoW has the worse travel system in the entire MMO industry.  For a pay 2 play MMO to have such terrible travel options in the year 2014 is unacceptable and not worthy of a sub.

When free 2 play and freemiums offer better travel systems than a p2p something is seriously amiss.

I disagree.  That's going too far.  Traveling is worse in swtor. lol.

There are many pros and cons to flying in MMO's, but the first arguments should be about immersion and gameplay, and how it affects the purpose of the world.

I read that the devs said flying would ruin the gameplay they designed for WoD, because they added treasures and other jumping puzzle areas in the game world.  I can understand that viewpoint.  Imagine if GW2 had flying.  It would totally ruin their jumping puzzles.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Flying mounts are probably one of the worst features implemented in wow. Don't get me started on those players with their massive dragons sitting on top of quest givers.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Your opinion OP is yours of course. The "experiment" has hardly failed and I haven't even noticed not being able to fly. The expansion isn't that big that it really makes a difference imho.  /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

What a shame.

Human nature is the majority will always take the easy path first. To keep up with everyone you are forced to take that same path. I will give you just one example. I would do just as you suggested and I would walk, killing my way to a node (mine or quest node) and often when I was killing the last few mobs to get it, someone would fly down, click the node and fly off. This didnt happen just a few times, it was often. In the end you conform to keep up. I could list many other reason why but I think this makes the point.

• Brisky29Brisky29 Member Posts: 65

I wasn't sure what to think about the "no flying" when I first purchased the expac. And let it be stated that I DO like flying, my stance is sort of middle of the road on flying mounts, I can see merits to the arguments on both sides. 

Until I seen this thread, however, I honestly forgot about it entirely. Flying literally never even crossed my mind I've been so engrossed questing, treasure hunting, etc. The fact I haven't missed flying at all tells me I certainly don't need it to be happy in this game, but that is just me.

I will say, there is a certain appeal to being able to have that beautiful bird's eye view every now and then. I suspect they will bring flying to Dreanor at some point, probably after the first patch or so.