Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is ArcheAge any good?

124»

Comments

• TomShadowTomShadow Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by JDis25
    Originally posted by steelwind

If you are looking for a truly "different" experience than what 10 years of Wow clones have given us, AA is a good choice.

If you love crafting and enjoy many non-combat related goals and are ok spending a significant amount of time progressing through non-combat, AA is a good choice.

If you are open to finding your own end game goals without being told "here is where to go next", AA is a good choice.

If you are looking for a game with more depth than the standard fare, AA is a good choice.

If you can accept playing AA and base your judgement on your own experiences instead of the vocal majority, AA is a good choice.

BUT!!!!

If you only find satisfaction and enjoyment through combat and only combat, DO NOT PLAY ARCHEAGE!

If you are a grass is greener kind of player and cannot get past what other players have and how they got it, DO NOT PLAY ARCHEAGE!

If your primary focus is a F2P game and have no plans to sub (patron is a must) or just want a "free" game, DO NOT PLAY ARCHEAGE!

If you have spending issues and cannot control your impulses then the cash shop will ruin you, DO NOT PLAY ARCHEAGE!

If you cannot stand the thought that there are exploits and cheaters in the game that while are a small percentage of the playerbase, will be ahead of you and in some cases take advantage of you. DO NOT PLAY ARCHEAGE!

My personal opinion from playing the game for nearly two years is simply that even with the Trion failings, hacks, exploits, bad decisions and more, Archeage is still the most feature packed and innovative MMO on the market. Combat aside, AA has the most ambitious feature set of any MMO for nearly a decade and there simply is no other MMO release atm that compares. So while many will condemn it  (or Trion) for it's continued launch failings, there still is no alternative on the market and if you approach the game with the right understanding and expectations, AA can deliver a truly unique experience.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I hope Trion doesn't mess it up further, the PTS is a start.

Agreed.  Steelwind nailed it.  Thanks!

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

ArcheAge caters to a wide variety of players. I've grown tired of questing, for now, and with ArcheAge I am able to very casually farm, trade run, craft my way through levels, and I'm having a lot of fun doing it. I capture houses that are being demolished (taxes ran out) and flip them for profit. I grow the stuff I need for dailies and trade runs so its mostly profit. One day I fished form level 40-42 in just over an hour.

You don't need to pay for anything if you are ambitious enough to make gold in game. Once you've paid for patron, with gold mind you, your money earning possibilities get even higher.

It's free to play. Go for it and see if you like it.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Bad.dog

Nahh that's nothing, I've been bashing this game since before it released, I've never even created an account for it.

and the sad thing is you actually made that post ...sort of sets a value on any post you make doesn't it ?

Nahh, the value of anyone's post is set by the truth it contains. But it was a good attempt at an Ad-hom though......Nice and subtle.

I figured you as someone who had at least tried the game, as you talk an awful lot about it.. How would you know what the truth is if you have not even played the game at all yourself?

I have not been very  judgmental about the game itself except for maybe a few comments here and there about it having too many exploits. But even then, it's at a high level. In fact, I have often said, I recognize the game's systems and concepts as being otherwise very creative. Check my post history. However, I have been exceedingly critical of the greedy business model and the overall shitty implementation. I don't need to play the game to know I will not support it. That's where I have focused my dislike for this game.

Here's the thing. And if you disagree, fine, I can respect that, But, I have been playing MMOs for over a decade and a half now. Including many F2P and Asian P2W games. Especially Rappelz where I got into the 90s. I have not seen anything in AA that is so forward thinking, so innovative and so revolutionary that my experience leaves me without an accurate frame of reference to draw from. I could see back in the games pre-release where "pay2Faster" was the buzzword. But I knew enough about the game's mechancs to see the reality, I called it then, there was no gap-closer or progression plateau like there is in GW2 so "faster" MEANS "winning".

Seriously, These are MMOs in 2015 now. There's no rocket scinec and there is nothing deeper than action combat now. This notion about not playing means you have no right to speak comes from 2 sources. 1. Someone who is an elitist. Or someone who is a white knight trying to silence an opinion they don't want to hear.

Honestly, if anything I've said were untrue or inaccurate, wouldn't it be easy to challenge? If I spoke misinformation? It would be a simple matter to show where it was untrue. So why do we tell people "You haven't played, you can't speak?" Becasue regardless of who says it, the truth is still the truth. If the game is P2W, the fact that I say it's P2W doesn't change if you discredit me.

When What I have been complaining about was blatantly obvious from the beginning? I had watched this game since it was announced Trion would publish it. I had waited and planned to play it. Until I saw the monetization. Then I made the conscious decision to boycott it.

And, as I have said before, AA is the 1st game I have been this open about. All the other games, I have taken the Play and see attitude. I was wrong about SWTOR, and GW2, I had thought for sure I wouldn't like them and I did like both. I'll even say, I might even enjoy AA. But I won't play it.

I don't ever want to see an MMO with this type of monetization scheme release ever again. THIS is the reason for my stance and the ONLY reason I continue to be outspoken. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Nahh that's nothing, I've been bashing this game since before it released, I've never even created an account for it.

and the sad thing is you actually made that post ...sort of sets a value on any post you make doesn't it ?

Nahh, the value of anyone's post is set by the truth it contains. But it was a good attempt at an Ad-hom though......Nice and subtle.

I figured you as someone who had at least tried the game, as you talk an awful lot about it.. How would you know what the truth is if you have not even played the game at all yourself?

I have not been very  judgmental about the game itself except for maybe a few comments here and there about it having too many exploits. But even then, it's at a high level. In fact, I have often said, I recognize the game's systems and concepts as being otherwise very creative. Check my post history. However, I have been exceedingly critical of the greedy business model and the overall shitty implementation. I don't need to play the game to know I will not support it. That's where I have focused my dislike for this game.

Here's the thing. And if you disagree, fine, I can respect that, But, I have been playing MMOs for over a decade and a half now. Including many F2P and Asian P2W games. Especially Rappelz where I got into the 90s. I have not seen anything in AA that is so forward thinking, so innovative and so revolutionary that my experience leaves me without an accurate frame of reference to draw from. I could see back in the games pre-release where "pay2Faster" was the buzzword. But I knew enough about the game's mechancs to see the reality, I called it then, there was no gap-closer or progression plateau like there is in GW2 so "faster" MEANS "winning".

Seriously, These are MMOs in 2015 now. There's no rocket scinec and there is nothing deeper than action combat now. This notion about not playing means you have no right to speak comes from 2 sources. 1. Someone who is an elitist. Or someone who is a white knight trying to silence an opinion they don't want to hear.

Honestly, if anything I've said were untrue or inaccurate, wouldn't it be easy to challenge? If I spoke misinformation? It would be a simple matter to show where it was untrue. So why do we tell people "You haven't played, you can't speak?" Becasue regardless of who says it, the truth is still the truth. If the game is P2W, the fact that I say it's P2W doesn't change if you discredit me.

When What I have been complaining about was blatantly obvious from the beginning? I had watched this game since it was announced Trion would publish it. I had waited and planned to play it. Until I saw the monetisation. Then I made the conscious decision to boycott it.

I don't think along those lines (haven't played, so can't speak) people have played that card with me numerous times in regard to AA, and I have played it, just not much of it. I agree it's the way it's monetized that really hurts everything else. WHich is what I meant by punishing you when it wants more money out of you.

Anyway fair enough, you don't have to play a game in order to hate the way it's being sold.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

When What I have been complaining about was blatantly obvious from the beginning? I had watched this game since it was announced Trion would publish it. I had waited and planned to play it. Until I saw the monetisation. Then I made the conscious decision to boycott it.

I don't think along those lines (haven't played, so can't speak) people have played that card with me numerous times in regard to AA, and I have played it, just not much of it. I agree it's the way it's monetized that really hurts everything else. WHich is what I meant by punishing you when it wants more money out of you.

Anyway fair enough, you don't have to play a game in order to hate the way it's being sold.

For the record, I realize, it's probably not the best thing... openly having an agenda against another MMO. That is, unless there is an extreme reason for it. Having an agenda against a game seems silly, but this one, IMO, was ripping people off.