Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transformers Universe: Jagex & Hasbro Agree to Close the Doors

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Jagex and Hasbro have agreed to shut down Transformers Universe on January 31, 2015. The closure comes about a month after Jagex announced downsizing of the development team, a fairly normal occurrence after a game is released. Jagex will focus on its existing IPs while Hasbro will pursue other game options for the Transformers IP.

"If there are any staffing issues that arise out of this additional level of restructuring, then we will discuss them with the parties concerned first and foremost," a Jagex representative said. "As ever, we will make any possible outcomes public, but only at the appropriate time."

Transformers Universe has entered a maintenance period, and will shut down for good on January 31 next year.

Source: GamesIndustry.biz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200

Beware of these words... "reaches a new stage of development in its life cycle."

Wonder if they use this same terminology for death row prisoners :-p

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Did this game even make it out of production? I took one look at the founders packs and never looked back after being accepted into the beta. Too expensive for too little. When will these devs realize that mmos built using mobile pricing systems only work for mobile gamers.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    They were originally making an MMO in the universe of Transformers... then they decided to make it a MOBA. Honestly, as crowded as both spaces are, I still think they'd have done better with an Action MMO where kids of all ages could play as Transformers, a la Marvel Heroes.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I agree. MOBA is a far too E-Sport "hardcore" genre to just dabble in. You have to really know whT you're doing and be prepared to compete.

At least that is how I see it. Less room for happy coexistence in MOBAs.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

This was a game that released?????????

WOW!

/goes back into his cave where sunshine has to be piped in and ponders........

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    They were originally making an MMO in the universe of Transformers... then they decided to make it a MOBA. Honestly, as crowded as both spaces are, I still think they'd have done better with an Action MMO where kids of all ages could play as Transformers, a la Marvel Heroes.

Yup, and we all know that MOBA is basically where failed MMORPG Projects end up (ie Titan). :) 

So what's a step down from there? Probably some sort of iOS app. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    This game was a missed opportunity. A real fleshed out mmo could have been great. Look at the vast Transformers universe available to pull from.

Instead, it was another piece of trash that could have been found on Junkion.
    -Chuckles
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I guess this is what happens when the primary focus is monetization of the IP, rather than making a game that players will enjoy playing. This is where the old "money-grab" meme comes from...

Hasbro probably doesn't have a clue what the online gaming market is all about, but they probably read one too many of Superdata's reports, and figured they'd hit the mother lode. Jagex probably thought the Transformers IP was a licence to print money. I'd imagine both parties are equally to blame for this failure.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

May 1, 2014 Transformer Universe Founders Packs $450

You know what would be awesome War for Cybertron meets Planetside 2 with the character customization of City of Heroes for making a Transformer.

This is pretty bad.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Weren't they selling $500 founders packs for this game? I seem to recall $500 founders packs. When do we finally govern ?
  • nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Wow!  I tried this game for about an hour, and then forgot about it.  Makes you think twice about buying a founders pack or lifetime membership for any mmo...
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    $450 founders packs apparently.  Hopefully either no one brought them or tons of people brought them, got burned, and now will never again contribute to this lousy cash grab founders pack dirty business model that's gripping the industry these days.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Hahah this is the exact game I was thinking would bottom out.  Sorry but I remember thinking that the founders pack was way too expensive.. here.. it's more expensive than I even thought... as they're never getting a full product.

@BillMurphy Any word about asking them about what happens to those people who flushed half a grand away on a failure?  I mean this is really eye opening.  Is there no way to get your money back on this venture?

• sonicwhip2sonicwhip2 Member Posts: 86
    And they cancelled Stellar Dawn for this failure of a game?
  • PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

As a note, it wasn't a "MOBA", but a "MOTA" (Tactical instead of Battle). It was a third-person tab-targeting PVP game or something. They thought they'd throw the "MOBA"/"MOTA" label around to try to cash in on LoL, but it ended up ruining them. It wasn't a MOBA, so MOBA fans tried it and were disappointed, People who want nothing to do with MOBAs stayed away, but those were the ones whom this might have appealed to.

And a $450 Founder's Pack is a great way to broadcast to the world: Bend over, this game is all about harpooning the whales. Whenever I see outrageously nonsensical pricing on an unreleased game, I walk away and never look at it again.

I really liked F2P, but the trends in monetisation schemes are telling me that we need to go back to B2P and, possibly, a sub. I dunno. Having cash shop monetisation driving development is just awful. Even games that started out with not-too-bad F2P scheme, like LotRO and Rfit, eventually morphed into something almost as bad as any gPotato or PerfectWorld disaster.

I can't believe I have to go back and start considering WoW :(

• TheRabidsmurfTheRabidsmurf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Everyone i know who wanted transformers mmo was super excited. Soon as the word moba came up many gave up on waiting for this launch.
  • seldinseldin Member UncommonPosts: 196
    At  least they are giving some refunds to the founder, relic pack purchasers, and start packs buyers
  • Always sad to hear about a game closing down.

Although I always thought this one would not last long. But it's still sad to hear.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I always planned to check this game out when it launched. However, I never heard that it actually *did* launch and looking at the posts here I am not alone. I'm sure a fair portion of the blame for low players might be because not all of their potential audience knew the game was released.
  • OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Hahah this is the exact game I was thinking would bottom out.  Sorry but I remember thinking that the founders pack was way too expensive.. here.. it's more expensive than I even thought... as they're never getting a full product.

@BillMurphy Any word about asking them about what happens to those people who flushed half a grand away on a failure?  I mean this is really eye opening.  Is there no way to get your money back on this venture?

They're refunding founder packs.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

This was a game that released?????????

WOW!

/goes back into his cave where sunshine has to be piped in and ponders........

Guess I am not the only one using fiber optic to pipe in sunlight.  

Great way to get natural light to those basement grow rooms.

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623

well if they are refunding people then i cant really say anything bad about the situation from the gamer standpoint. kudos to jagex for not pocketing the money and running.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as for the game itself..... kinda expected.

jagex really hasn't done much other then runescape...which was built on the backs of people that are no longer with the company.

Hasbro has also historically made piss poor decisions aswell... and really only stay afloat because of the 1980s IP merchandising(transformers, GI joe, tonka, my little pony etc), their WotC subsidary(magic the gathering, DnD, etc), and liberal use of chinese labor. as a game/toy company they haven't really done anything new in a good 15-20 years.

in short the whole venture was a recipe for failure from the beginning.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

You could tell by logging in once that it was a unfinished product that was just abandoned after a while.

Being a Transformers fan for the past 30 years, I was insulted at the half a!@ery that was that game and the cash shop that was a disgrace to cash shops everywhere. The useless junk in that cash shop that was sold for stupid amounts of money was so disrespectful that it's not even funny.

Jagex just released a new game on steam called Block N' Load that's a voxel pvp game

http://store.steampowered.com/app/299360/

I do give them credit though for deciding to close the game sooner rather than later and not waste peoples time/lives.

• jazneojazneo Member UncommonPosts: 52
    i knew going to fail when say moba 
  • holyneoholyneo Member UncommonPosts: 154
    I brought this subject long time ago, about people driving up the cost of games.  I am glad the people voted with there wallet and didn't fall for the 450 founder packs.  If you did get a founder pack for 450, sorry for your lost, but please don't do it again.