Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I've seen through WoD and I'm no longer impressed

mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

I've played all of WoW expansions and enjoyed them to a greater or lesser degree.  I started to enjoy WoD.  Now, I've upgraded the majority of my Garrison to level 3, except for the Menagerie and fishing shack (I don't really do either).  I feel almost compelled to log in every day and do the Garrison tasks to get my resources and the like.  I do the Apexis Crystal task and I play a couple of dungeons, which I must admit feel like they are very short compared to the dungeons of old that we used to get at the lower levels and some of the other expansions.

All in all, it seems the game is now encouraging people to do their own thing - the Garrison and the dungeons.  There are no dailies in Draenor, to speak of, so you don't really see much going on unless it's people still catching up to level 100.

The Garrison seems to be everyone's hub now, playing alone doing their thing - but I had to ask myself, "To what end?" The game is taking up people's time now, with the Garrison, and that's the key feature that people are encouraged to work at, because aside from the dungeons, that's the game now in it's entirety. You're paying your sub and dedicating time to repeat the same thing every day.  Mmm.

The questing was so fast from 90-100 and the world map seems quite small - each zone may be ok in size, but much of the space is mountains, hills and forests, so there's not really that many places to explore. 

When I think back to when WoW came out, it took an age to get to the level cap and that game costs the same as the expansions do now.  There was a whole game of things to do, level 1-60; lots and lots of zones and a wide variety of stuff.  Now you get charged the same price for a handful of zones and no new races, professions, talents, classes.  Blizzard has got lazy and they think that by giving us our own farmville (again!) that it justifies it as a game.

I know I'll get flamed for this post as people are still in honeymoon period, but I think the masses will eventually realise that doing this WoD day after day is going to get boring fast.

Just my thoughts of course.

Comments

• metal0xmetal0x Member UncommonPosts: 72

I felt wow was like facebook games back when I played during wotlk. Get on do the kill/collect dallies and the dungeon one as well.

Looks like it still is just the same thing just a new flavor.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    The game is great - you've just got it all figured out though, so to you and me I will admit, what's the point? I have moved on already too.
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

That's how I've felt about WoW since it launched. It's always been a simple game of little to no substance.

It's an endless treadmill, with level caps and gear constantly changing. Just like it did in EQ. But at least with EQ there was some pretty solid level design, and the whole game had you socialize and experience things with other players, while WoW has you do it alone.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    I'm still mainly having fun with it, but I see your point, OP.  One thing, though.  You say that WoD is "doing the same things every day", stating the lack of daily quests.  If we had daily quests...we'd be doing the same thing, every day.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

The game is taking up people's time now?  LOL, all games do that... it's called entertainment.  If it wasn't taking up your time, you wouldn't be playing it now would you?  The whole point is to waste time... you had time to waste and chose a game as a means to pass the time away.  If you had no time to waste, you wouldn't be playing a game in the first place.

If it eats up your time, it's doing what it is supposed to do.  If it doesn't eat up your time, you aren't playing.

• VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

I'm still working on getting my first character to 100, and my garrison is still at level 2, so I have a long way to go, including any dungeons and raids. 

But one thing I'm planning on doing when I hit 100 and get tired of the daily grind is to go back into the old world and farm for transmog sets and things.  The game is HUGE honestly.  Tons of things to do, including getting every class to 100. 

I never realized it but really, the game has over 30 classes, when you factor in specs.  Hell, just learning ONE spec on ONE class and perfecting it is a huge challenge.  There's a lot to do.  Do what you want to have fun.  :) 

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Blizzard has not gotten lazy. They just do what they have to to keep people logging on every day.. no more, no less. Designing dungeons is expensive and takes lots of time, same with professions and their numerous recipes, not to mention the art work for each craftable item.

Why bother if players are happy with micro-managing their own instanced facebook game.

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

I definitely see where the OP is coming from.  I've just gotten my character to the 630ilvl and have started to see the amount of tasks available to me start to evaporate or at least see the same tasks coming up.  I've done MC and started Highmaul with LFR since my main guild force stopped playing a Lllllloooonnnngggg time ago.

It certainly feels like I've gotten to the point where it's either work on the garrison or run heroics/raids.  Other than that there are some quests still left to do like the daily apex quest but other than that there really isn't much.  I still have a little longer to go with my garrison only because I've been working on gearing up more than the garrison but I'm still close to having all of that leveled as well.

The game I still find to be fun but it is even more solo centric than before and it really makes the world feel smaller.  I'm still enjoying my time in WoD and I'm not worried about leaving the game before January but I find it hard to see myself playing all the way through January if the content stays where it is.  This also coming from a player that didn't start at release, I started a couple days into December so I would imagine most folks that started at release maybe feeling it even more than myself.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by mark2123

I've played all of WoW expansions and enjoyed them to a greater or lesser degree.  I started to enjoy WoD.  Now, I've upgraded the majority of my Garrison to level 3, except for the Menagerie and fishing shack (I don't really do either).  I feel almost compelled to log in every day and do the Garrison tasks to get my resources and the like.  I do the Apexis Crystal task and I play a couple of dungeons, which I must admit feel like they are very short compared to the dungeons of old that we used to get at the lower levels and some of the other expansions.

All in all, it seems the game is now encouraging people to do their own thing - the Garrison and the dungeons.  There are no dailies in Draenor, to speak of, so you don't really see much going on unless it's people still catching up to level 100.

The Garrison seems to be everyone's hub now, playing alone doing their thing - but I had to ask myself, "To what end?" The game is taking up people's time now, with the Garrison, and that's the key feature that people are encouraged to work at, because aside from the dungeons, that's the game now in it's entirety. You're paying your sub and dedicating time to repeat the same thing every day.  Mmm.

The questing was so fast from 90-100 and the world map seems quite small - each zone may be ok in size, but much of the space is mountains, hills and forests, so there's not really that many places to explore. 

When I think back to when WoW came out, it took an age to get to the level cap and that game costs the same as the expansions do now.  There was a whole game of things to do, level 1-60; lots and lots of zones and a wide variety of stuff.  Now you get charged the same price for a handful of zones and no new races, professions, talents, classes.  Blizzard has got lazy and they think that by giving us our own farmville (again!) that it justifies it as a game.

I know I'll get flamed for this post as people are still in honeymoon period, but I think the masses will eventually realise that doing this WoD day after day is going to get boring fast.

It takes me 10 minutes to complete my menial punitive Garrison task's.  Doesn't really suggest solo.  Also the Apexis daily is a group quest if your doing the 1000 one. It's does anything but promote solo gameplay.  Invasions, need friends to help or you won't get silver or gold.  I mean, I think you need to take a better look because you couldn't be more wrong.  I could go on all day with examples but that is not my job here. 

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by Betaguy

It takes me 10 minutes to complete my menial punitive Garrison task's.  Doesn't really suggest solo.  Also the Apexis daily is a group quest if your doing the 1000 one. It's does anything but promote solo gameplay.  Invasions, need friends to help or you won't get silver or gold.  I mean, I think you need to take a better look because you couldn't be more wrong.  I could go on all day with examples but that is not my job here. 

I would agree that there are group options to be sure but that doesn't necessarily mean it is easy to get them done.  Most of the folks I know that are playing only do the solo apex crystal daily, for example.  Not to mention, in some instances doing garrison stuff takes a bit longer than 10 minutes.  Especially if you run with a lumber mill and don't have any wood on hand.

Especially if your a returning player and your usual friends or guildmates aren't playing, it makes it a bit harder to do the group stuff.  Luckily group contentt is still there but in my experience, unless you have friends/guildmates online when you are, it will be a problem trying to get it done.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

This!!! I do all my dailies as soon as I log in and then run a dungeon all in the matter of an hour. 

I really don't understand why the OP wants dailies? Are we now asking for a rep grind? Remember that there was so much backlash during MOP that they had to introduce items that would increase your rep on other toons once you'd already finished grinding out one. There are plenty of ways to get loot compared to previous iterations. Followers, Inn quests, world elites, etc., etc. The variety is actually really nice. 

As far as levelling goes, if you accomplished the WoD story line in less than 20 hours, I'd say you blasted through without reading any of the quests at all. I was on rest XP from 91->100 and even when I was level 98 in Skyreach, I only got 23% of a level, so I have a very hard time believing than anyone going through the game and playing it, like a game, and reading the story and caring about the story, like a game, could achieve more than 1 level every 2 hours. If you're exploiting you can do it much more quickly, but then you're devaluing the game for yourself, so I don't really have any sympathy. 

If you're complaining that the game has provided you with 20 hours of gameplay, with only the first raid out there, then I'd ask you to give your head a shake. The majority of games sitting on retail shelves these days offer less than 20 hours of story content. Anything offered over and above that is, generally, just a grind. So I'm wondering what WoW "was" before to you? You say you've played every single expansion, but don't seem to have ever been through the gear grinder before. I'm interested to know which expansion you felt wasn't, in large part, about Dungeons and Dailies? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

You know.... fun is what you make it.

You will get tired and bored of the content in each and every game that has ever or will be made.

The most fun and most entertaining time I've ever had in an MMORPG was in WoW. It was brought to me, courtesy of my fearless  mind controlling undead priest of a guild leader "Wicked"  He made WoW tens times more entertaining than the game was on it's own. This guy was just good at making fun.

He had something that most of us lack in this day and age....  The magic sauce that made the earlier MMORPG's so much fun....

He had an Imagination

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

You're the one that couldn't be more wrong.

Garrison "maintenance" takes a bit longer than 10 min between work orders, mining, weed pulling, missioning, follower maintenance, and that's without trapping.  And if you have a few alts.... well once can easily put in an hour without even actually playing the game.  And if an private instanced lobby doesn't promote solo then your definition of solo is very different than the norm.

Just zerging through Shattrath blindly and just AoEing grinding without saying a single word to anyone doesn't help the blatent problem of the game feeling more and more soloist.

Invasions I tend to help or ask for help in guild and always get enough people, all invasions are is the new heroic scenarios.

The problem I have with WoW is that it is the same shit all over again with new gimmicks that promote and cater to soloist casuals.  Where is the large world where you have exploration, challenges the requires groups, things to do besides raiding (or garrisons now).  WoW has further gone down the path of an OMG (online multiplayer game) with multiplayer features and continuously takes more of the Massive out of MMO.

Warlords is quickly becoming one of the most boring expacs for me.  I hate garrisons and if I wanted to play Farmsville, I'll play Farmsville.  I want to play an MMO were I need to work with other to overcome numerous challenges and have viable alternatives beyond raiding at end game.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    It's all about game design, peoples personalities don't change when they swap between games. Design a game that's about being better than anyone else or fail then accelerate that process and you reap what you sow.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Cramit845

I would agree that there are group options to be sure but that doesn't necessarily mean it is easy to get them done.  Most of the folks I know that are playing only do the solo apex crystal daily, for example.  Not to mention, in some instances doing garrison stuff takes a bit longer than 10 minutes.  Especially if you run with a lumber mill and don't have any wood on hand.

Especially if your a returning player and your usual friends or guildmates aren't playing, it makes it a bit harder to do the group stuff.  Luckily group contentt is still there but in my experience, unless you have friends/guildmates online when you are, it will be a problem trying to get it done.

I hate to be that guy, but this sounds like a "you problem".

I see this all the time and honestly i'm guilty of it as well at times. The trick is to find people like minded as yourself and enjoy the games you enjoy with them. This typically means moving on from past friends that no longer enjoy what you enjoy. This is what most people don't want to do but you'll be happier in the long run once you do.

The problem is of course that many players don't want to put in the effort to make new friends. Believe me, i know this feeling all too well. Instead of waiting around and hoping your old friends or guild mates get on the same page as you again, move on. No use complaining about something you yourself can control but don't want to.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    You don't solo the apex quests you go to the zone and ask for an invite and get one since there is about 20 other people doing the same thing. You don't even need a guild or friends.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Alders

The problem is of course that many players don't want to put in the effort to make new friends.

Pretty much the problem with many people who post here constantly complaining about the "soloification" of MMOs. They are unable to make friends if the game does not force people into grouping and therefore into making supposed "friends" which are in reality nothing more than strangers forced to play with you in order to get to their own personal objective in the game.

Real friends aren't forced.

True, that's why you can buy them...

"Looking for XXXX run, will pay..."

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962

I don't think you have a clue "what the masses will be doing". Everyone I know who plays is loving WoD.  I would ask you what the were you doing different between MoP and WoD one month in? 

And if you sit and QQ in your Garrison all day QQing there is nothing to do...that is NOT a game issue that is a YOU issue. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I was never impressed.  I am tiring of the daily garrison related tasks.  My sub ends in early January and I'm spending my time doing the garrison tasks, LFR and getting achievements.

I like how they keep ignoring the Burning Legion with every expac in recent history.  Getting back to them would be far more fun to me than Deathwing, Pandas or alternate history.  Arthas was far from the end of the unfinished Lore of WC3 and TBC.  Feels like they're milking the lore these days.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

I blew through the content in less than a month playing very casually. I don't know why people think it's so much content?

I did it all without grouping or guilds. Sure I haven't done the difficult raid tiers, but I don't really enjoy scheduling my gametime around other people so much.

I think Garrisons are the most overrated addition to an MMO in recent memory.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

Second month in WoD and i guess my last one. One of the most boring WoW expansions i have ever played.

5 mins / day to put followers on missions (i got 26 epic followers, 7x645ilvl and the rest 615-630) and put new orders. 1 min for daily prof craft. 10 mins for the daily apexis quest. 5 mins in the AH.

Plus the weekly activity. 20 mins for LFR (10 mins for each one) and another 10 mins for a world boss. 10 mins also for the garrison invasion.

Thats all folks. There is no new BG or Arena in WoD. HC Dungeons are not needed at all or its a matter of 1-2 days for a full 340ilvl gear (garrisons+crafted+boe are much superior). Professions are crap anymore, especially gathering ones. Everything is on a 24hour CD making the game a facebook farming minigame.

Most of the time online i m spending it by doing old content for mounts, achieves, transmog etc.....for 2684864564 time...

I was hyped about WoD, but imho this is maybe the worst expansion ever.  Anyway its all about tastes and WoD is not for mine.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Tasslehoff35

I don't think you have a clue "what the masses will be doing". Everyone I know who plays is loving WoD.  I would ask you what the were you doing different between MoP and WoD one month in? 

And if you sit and QQ in your Garrison all day QQing there is nothing to do...that is NOT a game issue that is a YOU issue. 

It's a game issue if all there is to do is QQ at the garrison.

Seems like they took any and all world end game content and shoved it into garrisons outside raiding.

WoD is by far the least to do in the world expansion.  Maybe garrisons is a great thing for peoplelike my brother who loves it, who also boggles me why he bothers playing MMOs as he doesn't like playing with many people in an MMO of all places image.

But for myself I am bored and want a game where you venture out in the open world and come across challenges that you cannot tackle on by yourself and need friends or mutual agreement aquantance.  To me that's what an MMO is all about.  But my definition is very different from Blizzard's whose definition isn't even an MMO in my eyes but an Online Game with multiplayer features.  I desire a challenge and not self entitlement.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Seriously, WTF was everyone expecting from this expansion?!?

Which ever way you cut it, whatever you add to it, no matter how much content they put in it is still to it's core the same game you have been playing for the last 10 years, so what exactly were you expecting?

I am a raider turned casual and my sons hardcore raid, all of us are enjoying the game as we have for the last 10 years because we still enjoy the core of the game and we are enjoying even more the additional options for everyone to get involved in all levels of the game.

So what can you do? Well pretty much what you have always been able to do, you can do dungeons, you can raid, you can craft, you can cover achievements, you can level more characters, you can do your archaeology, you can do battlegrounds, you can battle your pets. But now you can also take care of your garrison, you can take part in the ongoing PvP area, you can run some re-vamped old content, you can pick up and complete all of the area specific quests, complete your toy selection etc..etc.. but at the end of the day it is still the same game!!!!

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by furbans
    I desire a challenge and not self entitlement.

So I guess you've already cleared both heroic and mythic modes.

Are you a member of Paragon?

Lol, I agree. The comment itself is ignorant because it's been universally acknowledged that the difficulty has been significantly increased over previous expansions. I've seen it, I've wiped on normal dungeons. There is a lot of PvE content which is a walk, but that's somewhat expected being that the game needs to remain accessible to kids and filthy casuals like myself, but to say it's not challenging is just an elitist comment from someone who probably hasn't even played the expansion, or WoW for that matter. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I don't disagree, but I'd say that's true of nearly every game.

With the exception of some outlier MMO's(like Eve), it's inevitable that one day you'll be at max level, will have done whatever form of "daily activity" there is in a game to where advancement is all but maxed, and you'll ask that potentially fatal question:

"If I'm doing this to max all my stuff out, what am I maxing all my stuff out for?"

When you don't have an answer to that question, congratulations.  It might not be game over for everyone, but it is for you.  That doesn't have to be a bad thing.