Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No flying experiment has failed in WoD

Comments

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    Seems like most players disagree with the OP. I am one of them on this particular issue.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by TalulaRose
    I hope more devs remove these QoL (Quality of Life) items that basically allows people to bypass being in the game world.

This.

There are 2 types of players in WoW, one group being the one that want to roam in a living online world for whatever reason (lore, world pvp etc) and the group that wants to get 'progression' done asap and log off and they need insta travel/gating/warping etc and not flying only is wasted time while they could be powerleveling or doing dungeons in the meantime.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375

Blizzard developers and their marketing team are genius in sugar coating content and we as gamers eat it up like candy. I believe the no fly zone was more about stretching the content timeline. Less development more time to play through said content equals more profit for them. It's a business and the longer they can keep us subbed without updates makes them more money. Especially the way gamer locust go through content today.

Dailies are a perfect example one time content done over and over with a daily time stamp for us to reuse and Wow's the king of dailies. Don't think for moment you're not being spoon fed. For me flying is unique to Wow and they do it well, very fluid. It's what I miss most when I take my wow breaks. Any ability taken away from an mmo just plain sucks no matter how you look at it. The donkey and the carrot on the stick was the best analogy way back says it all.

Another Wow thing I find funny is class patches. It's perceived as an update yet aren't patches suppose to be a fix sometime along the line. Been at Wow since12/04 that being the case they've been patched to death.

• BravnikBravnik Member UncommonPosts: 158

Not sure why a person would play an MMO in the first place and then complain that actually seeing it is not cool. I hated flying in WOW or any type of fast travel really as it just ruins the immersion of the game. You need to ask yourself. If you are flying over all the content then are you actually playing a game?

However, I liked the old school days.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

I am surprised there are not more people campaigning for the "instance transporter" to be removed; to get rid of the insta-porting to scenarios / dungeons / raids - which made flying pretty redundant. If they did that people would actually have to travel to the entrances ....the way it used to be ...

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Only a few wants flying back in WoW. There is reason why also. Lot's refuse to have this dumbed down even more. You can fly everywhere except in WOD. So no big deal. Go see the old content if you want to fly. There is no need for flying in a smal xpac like WOD is.

Also all items that are farmable for professions now have a glowing effect that can be seen clearly form the air, just use the gryphon and you can see the trees, nodes, flowers, ect. from there air clearly. So it will no help anyone else except the farmers, botters, gold sellers and hackers.

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    I -might- be OK with flying again if they gave us a 100 yd range rocket launcher to force people down on PVP servers.  Strong emphasis on MIGHT, as there are other reasons no flying is good.
    Originally posted by Bravnik

Not sure why a person would play an MMO in the first place and then complain that actually seeing it is not cool. I hated flying in WOW or any type of fast travel really as it just ruins the immersion of the game. You need to ask yourself. If you are flying over all the content then are you actually playing a game?

However, I liked the old school days.

It's not just fast travel it's flying and it's fun and only a handful of games do it and as well as Wow.  It's totally immersive for me I could just cruise around the seemless world for hours and through no freaking portals like most games. Dragon Prophet your massive dragon you've tamed flies like 20 feet off the ground, wtf. In Wow you fly so high you can't see the ground feels like 10,000 feet, that's immersive.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by gervaise1

I am surprised there are not more people campaigning for the "instance transporter" to be removed; to get rid of the insta-porting to scenarios / dungeons / raids - which made flying pretty redundant. If they did that people would actually have to travel to the entrances ....the way it used to be ...

Now you're just talking crazy. image

I think many feel that some fast travel is fine, but not when it's the same old trip to a dungeon entrance that serves no real purpose, not even a decent sight-seeing trip.

Not all fast travel is considered a bad idea, but as for the people in this thread, they are more or less happy flying is not part of WoD.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445
    To you that don't like flying. Who ever forced you to fly in the other expansions? By the way I have a set of wings I got from a heroic that will fly me across any zone with a cooldown of  10 minutes. Did your fun just decrease because I am flying?
    Originally posted by damond5031
    To you that don't like flying. Who ever forced you to fly in the other expansions? By the way I have a set of wings I got from a heroic that will fly me across any zone with a cooldown of  10 minutes. Did your fun just decrease because I am flying?

So true, just the same if tomorrow flying was introduced to WOD those same people hating on flying ruining gameplay would be up in the sky same day, no doubt. in my mind.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • aaradunaaradun Member Posts: 91
    i'm actually happy there's no flying in WoD. made the game challenging some again. Flying is for the lazy actually play a damm game instead of bypassing everything to max level.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Satsunoryu
    I -might- be OK with flying again if they gave us a 100 yd range rocket launcher to force people down on PVP servers.  Strong emphasis on MIGHT, as there are other reasons no flying is good.

there is a rare in kun lai summit that drops an item that can be used to dismount players :P

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide
    Originally posted by Satsunoryu

there is a rare in kun lai summit that drops an item that can be used to dismount players :P

EQ2 did a great job with jumping mounts but I have to say the game did lose some luster when I earned my first flying mount. Everything seemed less scary. 

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

I have to side with Blizzard and many of the other forum goers here. I like the decision to take away flying. It makes the world feel significantly smaller when flying is added to the game. Essentially trivializing all exploration.

Where's the challenge of finding a hidden treasure if all you have to do is fly to the location grab it and fly away?

World can feel small if there lack of content to keep people on ground, hidden treasure can be place in the right place that is hard for flying to get to, and caves when they can turn off flying.

But don't stop still rogues doing that you said finding a hidden treasure, sap then takes it then run away.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Hoplites

unlike other MMO's that age with time, this is the first that has made playing content at level cap more painful and reduced replay value.

What a shame.

Agree fully with you. Flying is fun and add new dimension. I only agree about no flying before max level. Sure, less programming and possible problems this way. :-)

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    i dont mind the no flying in WoD what i do mind is the fact they gave delux edition a FLYING mount lol. it is by far the most derpy ground mount i have seen! My friend mentioned maybe adding a stamina bar allowing you to fly ffor say 3-8 minutes at a time with a recharge time after.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by nate222

The hell. Ground-only transport is one of the big design decisions that help to harken back to the glory days of WoW. Actually having to plan your route and be invested in it makes things far more interesting.

I hope they never allow flying.

While I really enjoyed flying when I returned to WOW to play Cata, I see what you are saying as I recall flying over harms way and dropping in on my objective, only to fly quickly back out skipping over much of the countryside.

Sometimes in fact I was voluntarily walking//fighting my way through it just to see more of the land.

One interesting idea is perhaps they could have made you fight your way through it the first time on the ground, until you reached some sort of way point or milestone marker, then you could fly back to that point on a return trip?

I would suggest that flying could be something expensive (add food for the mount ?). So it remains as an experience but not something you do every moment. It supposed to be something unique, right ?

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    Originally posted by loulaki
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by nate222

The hell. Ground-only transport is one of the big design decisions that help to harken back to the glory days of WoW. Actually having to plan your route and be invested in it makes things far more interesting.

I hope they never allow flying.

While I really enjoyed flying when I returned to WOW to play Cata, I see what you are saying as I recall flying over harms way and dropping in on my objective, only to fly quickly back out skipping over much of the countryside.

Sometimes in fact I was voluntarily walking//fighting my way through it just to see more of the land.

One interesting idea is perhaps they could have made you fight your way through it the first time on the ground, until you reached some sort of way point or milestone marker, then you could fly back to that point on a return trip?

I would suggest that flying could be something expensive (add food for the mount ?). So it remains as an experience but not something you do every moment. It supposed to be something unique, right ?

That would be the obvious answer to this problem. I'd go even further and add some cooking recipes for pet food that gives flight time, buffs hunter's pets, gives SP for warlocks demons, etc. You know, give a meaning to level up a profession..

But no, this is the exact opposite for Blizzards design philosophy since.. forever. Micro-managing pets is not convenient and is in fact boring and time consuming, so it had to be cut off from the game for the sake of their players.

There is so much you could do to spice up and create depth in WoW, but i guess it's most profitable to keep things simple: Queue, kill, collect loot.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    I think it improved the game experiemce while soloing by several miles, however its plagued by the spoiled baby syndrom, if you take away a toy from a baby, it will keep crying till it gets that toy back

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by Hoplites

unlike other MMO's that age with time, this is the first that has made playing content at level cap more painful and reduced replay value.

What a shame.

67,34% of players answered that they are enjoying the no-fly of WoD in mmochampion poll.

(Total Votes: 220,270k)

Fun fact. Should Blizz introduce flying those 67,34 still have the 100% ability to continue to enjoy not to fly while, and thats the magic, the 32,66 who does not like the no fly would also enjoy the then hypotetical added ability to do so. Massice 100% instead of just 67% enjoy now! Minus the few who does not enjoy that other can do something they enjoy now, but no one should care for those few rotten trolls.

That being said I really like WoD overall, I actually do like to ride the rivendare mount (which I also have done in areas I could fly) and I will totally not cry "doom" for the lack of flying. Just saying I like flying I think the reasoning behind the drop of it is as stupid as the support of doing so since nobody forces anybody to do so.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Originally posted by damond5031

It's about everyone else flying as well, never encountering a player even if you'd use your ground mount.

Players are half the world, and while we can choose not to fly, everyone else still will.

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631
    Originally posted by anothername

Fun fact. Should Blizz introduce flying those 67,34 still have the 100% ability to continue to enjoy not to fly while, and thats the magic, the 32,66 who does not like the no fly would also enjoy the then hypotetical added ability to do so. Massice 100% instead of just 67% enjoy now! Minus the few who does not enjoy that other can do something they enjoy now, but no one should care for those few rotten trolls.

That being said I really like WoD overall, I actually do like to ride the rivendare mount (which I also have done in areas I could fly) and I will totally not cry "doom" for the lack of flying. Just saying I like flying I think the reasoning behind the drop of it is as stupid as the support of doing so since nobody forces anybody to do so.

Agree, also I think all characters should have a skill that kills in one shot any creature, on a short cooldown (normal or boss creature).

Personally it annoys to be limited when I'm trying to experience the content (groups, boss raids and all) when I don't necessarily have the time or group to do it. This way, whoever still wants to kill bosses and creatures the "old way" can still do it, whereas people like me who want to experience the story/lore faster can do so.

And everyone is happy.

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by askdaboss
    Originally posted by anothername

Agree, also I think all characters should have a skill that kills in one shot any creature, on a short cooldown (normal or boss creature).

Personally it annoys to be limited when I'm trying to experience the content (groups, boss raids and all) when I don't necessarily have the time or group to do it. This way, whoever still wants to kill bosses and creatures the "old way" can still do it, whereas people like me who want to experience the story/lore faster can do so.

And everyone is happy.

Oh, come on. You can do better. This analogy was as lame as it was wrong.