Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG you missed Update 15 for LotRO.

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

... so what you're saying is ... it even took 5 days for someone (you) to notice that MMORPG hadn't posted about it.

.. Right.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Ikeda

... so what you're saying is ... it even took 5 days for someone (you) to notice that MMORPG hadn't posted about it.

.. Right.

Actually you are wrong, which is usually the case when people have nothing to offer a thread.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6504505#6504505

Why are you posting in this thread?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Haven't heard much about this game. Didn't Turbine have financial problems?
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    trundling away very nicely, it's a very enjoyable MMO if you don't need lightening comming out of your shoulders :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Ok, so 3 days.

I could ask you the same thing.  Why?  

Yamota,

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/turbine-inc-studio-faces-layoffs/

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Ok, so 3 days.

I could ask you the same thing.  Why?  

Yamota,

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/turbine-inc-studio-faces-layoffs/

Because large part of the MMORPG crew is PROBABLY at Blizzcon and I "gave" them a week of consideration before making my post here to REMIND them about a MMORPG update that includes a new race/class.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I agree with the OP.  Should have been covered.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    Originally posted by Nadia

posted a month ago

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/45/view/news/page/1/read/32708/Lord-of-the-Rings-Online-Update-15-to-Arrive-on-Bullroarer-on-Friday.html

and more recent,  from 10/29

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/45/view/news/page/1/read/32892/Lord-of-the-Rings-Online-The-Beornings-and-Central-Gondor-Are-Coming.html

It went live 5 days ago.

another who has the largest e-peen reply...thats is..I am down prowling these forums..

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Well why not make your own personal review? List what you like and what you don't like. And what you think they could have done better.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Already did that, after the first few hours :) http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6502473 (ok, not a review, just the facts and the prices)

And yep, I agree OP. Since the launch of U15 they also did the first bugfixing update this Monday, I thought maybe now there will be a note in the news section here about the bear people occupation of Bree, but still nope... it's a bit odd, actually.

edit:

Originally posted by clumsytoes44
    Well why not make your own personal review? List what you like and what you don't like. And what you think they could have done better.

I like the changes (and the Monday fix) about the epic battle reward mechanic - I don't really play it, but the random BoA loot was one of the reasons why I don't (the other is that I don't like skirmishes :) )

Music system change, I think there's more time needed for it to settle down, so far it looks promising, and the bugged note is gone with the Monday update.

Bear, it needs some more work as I've heard, on the higher levels, but it will be a fun to play class.

Central Gondor, wasn't there yet.

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    I believe this is because Lotro is falling behind and being forgotten.  Lotro was my first MMO and still one of my best gaming experiences...but nobody I played with during launch through Moria is still playing.  This last update was the first story update I didn't return for.  It sad to see the game fading away but Unfortunetly that's what's going on.  
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

Originally posted by Tasslehoff35
    I believe this is because Lotro is falling behind and being forgotten.  Lotro was my first MMO and still one of my best gaming experiences...but nobody I played with during launch through Moria is still playing.  This last update was the first story update I didn't return for.  It sad to see the game fading away but Unfortunetly that's what's going on.  
    That and the fact there are only a handful of people on the forums these days who discuss LOTRO regularly, for awhile it was one guy bumping their own Op for a week or two. MMORPG has a choice when it comes time for article space and potential advert revenue. They can write about a game 30 or so people will comment on and maybe a couple hundred even read, or they can write about something that's actually gonna drive a response. This is less of an issue when you have staff/contributors independently playing a game then writing about it on their own, compared to an "assignment" reviewing a game they would otherwise couldn't care less about. Once upon a time a lot of MMRPG staff were players of LOTRO, now just another demographic WB/Turbine chased away. That is what's changed.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

I wish I could get it playing in wine again. I'm also having horrible connection problems to Akamai and the LotRO servers.

I've never played on Linux, so can't help on that sadly. But the second part, you're not alone with that... sometimes the client closes itself, sometimes it stucks at the Getting connect part, etc. for me too. (and for some others as well, there's a thread on forums)

It started a few weeks ago, but since U15 it's more frequent. After I manage to get in, all's fine though. Just it takes 2-3 tries sometimes to get in... Hope they'll fix it soon, pretty annoying. (but with the pre-caching at least the login is faster now)

Originally posted by Gorwe
    Did they REALLY include Beornlings as a class?

If so, lore = ravaged. See, Beorn had no students-in fact he lived in a solitude within his longhouse. So, who are these shapeshifters? I always thought that was a 1st april joke... >.>

Not exatly ravaged, but I feel you somewhat... it's like the Rk was, gameplay-wise it's fun, but lore-wise... not very fitting :)

Beorn lived there alone, 50+ years ago, that's true, but later he had a son Grimbeorn who is the chieftain of the beornings at the time of Frodo's journey, they are keeping the pass for travellers safe and open from orcs and wargs (they're mentioned a few times in the trilogy, and a bit more in the other works). So that part is fine lore-wise.

The issue is more like 1) why would they spread out and travelling all around Eriador (probably it would've been better if they start at lvl50 as the original plans was), though it's somewhat explained during the introduction quests.

And 2) their massive numbers :) the game is stuffed with bears right now, and I think when it will go on sale the first time (probably next summer) there will be a second wave of bears too... but of course any restriction on their numbers would be weird gameplay-wise, a new class is always something everyone is trying out.

Originally posted by Gorwe
    Beorn had a son? With what???

And yeah. This is RK all over again ;(

Yep, Grimbeorn The Old, as Frodo have learned in Rivendell. Also that he's the chieftain now in the Vale, leader of many sturdy and valiant men, and if they wouldn't be there, the passage from Dale to Rivendell would long ago have become impossible. And just like Beorn in the past, they don't really like dwarves, so the tolls of passing by is high :)

(and later, on the road it's mentioned that the honeycake of the beornings is maybe the best cake out there, even better than hobbit dishes - which is a bit hard to believe... maybe it's just the quality of their honey.)

So, the news section missed Update 15 back then, here's the chance to fix it: U15.1 just went live :)

Contains mostly U15 fixes in Gondor, with Pelargir (the new Big Battle), and some bear tweaking, fixing their gear, adding some new stuff.

Oh, and Yule festival is launched too with this maintenance, with some new cosmetics, and (sadly) new cosmetic pets - yet again. I think this cosmetic pet mania is getting out of control... but probably the players with the collector mindset like it.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Po_gg

So, the news section missed Update 15 back then, here's the chance to fix it: U15.1 just went live :)

Contains mostly U15 fixes in Gondor, with Pelargir (the new Big Battle), and some bear tweaking, fixing their gear, adding some new stuff.

Oh, and Yule festival is launched too with this maintenance, with some new cosmetics, and (sadly) new cosmetic pets - yet again. I think this cosmetic pet mania is getting out of control... but probably the players with the collector mindset like it.

Will update the news, AND we have a review and HiveLeader video coming.

Honestly, we usually get loads of PR from Turbine about the game, but it's been very quiet. When in doubt just email tips to

news at mmorpg dot com

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Yamota

It's been limping along with sub average numbers since launch, after they shifted gears from sandbox and turned it into a WoW clone. When they were dangerously low, they shifted to FTP and got a boost for a little bit. But now they're basically spinning their wheels, churning things out with the skeleton crew they have left.

I have no idea what Turbine is doing. Their offices have downsized, they aren't hiring anyone new, and all the games they have are just about dead... are they working on a new MMO, or getting out of the market?

Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

It's been limping along with sub average numbers since launch, after they shifted gears from sandbox and turned it into a WoW clone. When they were dangerously low, they shifted to FTP and got a boost for a little bit. But now they're basically spinning their wheels, churning things out with the skeleton crew they have left.

I have no idea what Turbine is doing. Their offices have downsized, they aren't hiring anyone new, and all the games they have are just about dead... are they working on a new MMO, or getting out of the market?

Based on your one star I'm assuming it's safe to say you have zero facts to back up your comment.  

The truth is during launch and through mines of Moria lotro was extremely popular and had a very healthy population. 

Limping along since launch lol too funny.  

MEO would never have worked sandboxes don't work swg, AA come on is been how long and you can't get over a video game switching to a successful model instead of the failed model you like.  So now 8 years later you post lies on a website lol 

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Will update the news, AND we have a review and HiveLeader video coming.

Wasn't complaining for real, hence the smiley :)

Wow, that's great news, don't know when was the first time I suggested a LotRO vid (way back, before he enlisted here) but somehow there was always some new game popped up its head for testing. A HL LotRO video, that will be epic! Can't wait to see how will he mocking the game :)

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

Based on your one star I'm assuming it's safe to say you have zero facts to back up your comment.  

The truth is during launch and through mines of Moria lotro was extremely popular and had a very healthy population. 

MEO would never have worked sandboxes don't work swg, AA come on is been how long and you can't get over a video game switching to a successful model instead of the failed model you like.  So now 8 years later you post lies on a website lol 

Yes, themeparks don't work. That's why Eve has about 600k subs, after being active for... how long? And LotRO never saw that number, ever? Despite being the biggest, most well known fantasy IP in the entire world?

That's why SWG didn't fail until it switched to the themepark model?

But yeah, base it off the stars of my username, because that makes sense. I live in Providence, and I've been to Turbine's offices 3 times in my life, twice because they invited locals there to test their products and have lunch with the devs. So I'm one of the very few people who got to play Middle Earth Online.

When MEO became LotRO, a large portion of the fanbase outright quick alpha right there. When it launched, even more quit after giving it a try. So LotRO limped along in the "doing okay" pile, but after they'd almost lost the lion's share of their fanbase.

And no, it's very clear Turbine isn't doing too well. Between all the downsizing on LotRO, Wizards giving all their D&D related content to Neverwinter NIghts, and Asheron's Call winding down...

• ParagonianParagonian Member UncommonPosts: 39

LotRO is clearly starting to wind down too. It's a Single Player RPG at this point, and a bad one at that. Turbine has had two separate waves of layoffs this year, and there are rumors of a third coming early next year. Their MOBA is a flop, and they claim that they're moving their focus to mobile gaming.

My main is currently stuck in Fangorn because I - a life-long Tolkien fan - have developed an extreme case of apathy towards the game itself. Both Helm's Deep and Fangorn seem to be concentrated on forcing players to sit through reenactments of LotR lore rather than actual fun game play. The game rigidly adheres to the lore, but it's not actually fun to sit through that crap. LotRO is now nothing more than an interactive novel in game form with an obligatory reputation grind stapled on to it.

LotRO is currently beating WoW in MMORPG's "poll". If LotRO is so damn good, then where is everyone? I've been playing on Landroval(one of the "big" servers by LotRO standards) for 5 years, and the server is a shell of it's former glory. It turns out the "raiders" really do contribute a lot to a game's culture, after all. Too bad Turbine decided that raids aren't worth investing in any more.

And please shut up about Middle Earth Online already. It's the most irrelevant, non-germane tangent that could possibly be discussed here- and it always seems to be the exact same guy mentioning it every single time... :P

Yes, themeparks don't work. That's why Eve has about 600k subs, after being active for... how long? AND WOW HAS 10X THAT FOR BEING ACTIVE FOR...HOW LONG?   And LotRO never saw that number, ever? I am assuming you have proof of that?  A link somwhere I mean youve been to there office THREE times im sure they gave you info right?  Despite being the biggest, most well known fantasy IP in the entire world?

That's why SWG didn't fail until it switched to the themepark model? SWG switched to a themepark model LOL too funny!

But yeah, base it off the stars of my username, because that makes sense. I live in Providence, and I've been to Turbine's offices 3 times in my life, twice because they invited locals there to test their products and have lunch with the devs. So I'm one of the very few people who got to play Middle Earth Online.  For our readers please remember this line....

When MEO became LotRO, a large portion of the fanbase outright quick alpha right there. Why would "a large portion of the fanbase outright quit" when "you were one of the few people who got to play MEO?  Something isnt working here...but please keep going.  When it launched, even more quit after giving it a try. So LotRO limped along in the "doing okay" pile, but after they'd almost lost the lion's share of their fanbase. Again I am sure you have links to show ALL these people bailed on LOTRO after launch right?  Or are we supposed to take the word from an angry MEO bitter vet...one of the only ones in the World might I add.  

And no, it's very clear Turbine isn't doing too well. Between all the downsizing on LotRO, Wizards giving all their D&D related content to Neverwinter NIghts, and Asheron's Call winding down...I didnt say Turbine is doing well now did.  Please go back and read what I said and what I was replying to.  I am not denying turbine or LOTRO current state, I am however saying anything you say about Launch or up to Mirkwood is 100% garbage.  

8 Years dude...and I thought the SWG vets were bad, its been over 8 years since I have heard anyone mention the pipe dream MEO...I take it you were never able to get over it, so you come to sites like this to push your bias lies with zero facts or links to back it up...just a few "I visted Turbine three times"  like that means anything lol...