Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Origins Of Malu: Origins is Back on Track

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Last week we got the chance to sit down with Origins of Malu’s Michael Dunham to discuss the current state of development and some of the new changes coming to the game for 2015. The game is set for Steam early access coming up in the next few weeks and Mike’s team has been working hard to get everything ready to go. Mike explained a few of the exciting new goals coming up with early launch as well as some of the pitfalls the team faced when developing an independent MMO.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Origins of Malu: Back on Track with Michael Dunham.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I can't wait to see what has changed.  I remember being in one of the original alpha tests before the engine switch.   Always thought the idea and art direction were really unique.  Forgot about this game until now.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Love the art style of the game , but the game will be another PvP gankfest type game so pass for me. 
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    Looks like a nice game with some good ideas, looking forward to see what comes real.
  • skynight007skynight007 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    im not going to play this game... since it's going to be a subscription model. I have TOO many subscribed games for me to add another one. (maybe 1 or 2 more if the game is worth it). But if it were buy to play i would have defenitely play it.
  • tinoberserktinoberserk Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Just out of curiosity skynight, how many subs do you have at the moment?
    OT: OoM really looks nice but if it is truly the gankfest that flizzer says it'll be i will not be playing.
  • cyberpunkhobocyberpunkhobo Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Love the art style of the game, but the game will be another PvP gankfest type game so pass for me.

And what exactly do you know that the rest of us don't that has lead you to conclude the game will be a gankfest? Or are you simply assuming this will be the case because you've sighted the acronyms MMO and PvP?

• skynight007skynight007 Member UncommonPosts: 16

tinoberserk

World of Warcraft, Xbox live, ps4 sub, final fantasy sub, elderscroll sub, wildstar sub, eve online sub

That seems to be it. (yes i play all these games and im too far in to let them go)

• tyranadetyranade Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Love the art style of the game , but the game will be another PvP gankfest type game so pass for me. 

Could you explain this please.  If you're going to make a statement like this you should at least  tell us why this is. 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I remember getting into the alpha over a year ago. Good to see this game has been redone and is back on track.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Jockan
    I remember getting into the alpha over a year ago. Good to see this game has been redone and is back on track.

we still have access it seems to the alpha/beta forums

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I don't get the design of this game,it sounds like nothing more than a fps,but then why make a Fantasy type open world?Pvp combat works way better in an arena setting because you don't need tons of players to fill an entire world in and arena maps are actually laid out for pvp while a Fantasy world has absolutely no layout to support pvp.

I mean there is like battlegrounds and modules and capture the flag,it sounds exactly like an odd version of Unreal Tournament meets Wow,  but  not done with any real design purpose that supports it.

A Fantasy world supports exploration and players playing out a role,whilst pvp is the anti role,it carries one purpose that detracts from everything else in a game.So no matter what else the game might offer the focus will still be pvp.

As far as a Gankfest,it sure sounds like that to me as well however i don't know the rules of engagement so who really knows.When it mentions Faction Warfare,i guess that is the nail right there,imagine 20 faction members psotting 1-2 opposite faction players,nice 20-2 gankfest and NOT promoting FUN,unless you consider 20 on 2 to be fun.

Also what sort of differentiation is there between players,like is there levels  or gear that can badly separate two players,again lopsided battles are super non fun.It might be like a 300 ping player trying to compete versus a 30 ping player,i don't mean exactly that but i am referring to possible separation .

This si basically why i don't like pvp settings ever  unless it is a PERFECTLY balanced Arena setting where then of course ONLY ping separates players.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.