Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No flying experiment has failed in WoD

HoplitesHoplites Member CommonPosts: 463

unlike other MMO's that age with time, this is the first that has made playing content at level cap more painful and reduced replay value.

What a shame.

Comments

• nate222nate222 Member UncommonPosts: 7

The hell. Ground-only transport is one of the big design decisions that help to harken back to the glory days of WoW. Actually having to plan your route and be invested in it makes things far more interesting.

I hope they never allow flying.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by nate222

The hell. Ground-only transport is one of the big design decisions that help to harken back to the glory days of WoW. Actually having to plan your route and be invested in it makes things far more interesting.

While I really enjoyed flying when I returned to WOW to play Cata, I see what you are saying as I recall flying over harms way and dropping in on my objective, only to fly quickly back out skipping over much of the countryside.

Sometimes in fact I was voluntarily walking//fighting my way through it just to see more of the land.

One interesting idea is perhaps they could have made you fight your way through it the first time on the ground, until you reached some sort of way point or milestone marker, then you could fly back to that point on a return trip?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RedmantleRedmantle Member Posts: 25
    I agree with nate222. The lack of flying in the new zones makes the game much more immersive and fun. Definitely has that old school feel again, and I am loving the new expansion.  
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I like the move, having to play the game and run into people playing is really awesome. Not flying from quest node to quest node is a lot more fun. GJ Blizzard!!!!!!
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by nate222

While I really enjoyed flying when I returned to WOW to play Cata, I see what you are saying as I recall flying over harms way and dropping in on my objective, only to fly quickly back out skipping over much of the countryside.

Sometimes in fact I was voluntarily walking//fighting my way through it just to see more of the land.

One interesting idea is perhaps they could have made you fight your way through it the first time on the ground, until you reached some sort of way point or milestone marker, then you could fly back to that point on a return trip?

Hey, don't forget that you don't need to worry about that ominous shadow overhead, continuously circling you, and dropping in to kill you each time you respawn. Not gonna lie, I won't miss that. At least if someone's going to camp me, they'll need to do it on the ground where it's not as easy to escape. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

I was not aware it was an experiment.

I can see how the content locusts would hate it, but as for me, I love it.

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I disagree. I think flying mounts was one of the worst things to hit WoW.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    I hope more devs remove these QoL (Quality of Life) items that basically allows people to bypass being in the game world.
  • FujieFujie Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I'm quite happy there's no flying in WoD, there was no fun in swooping in, doing objective and flying away.  Flying was a mistake in WoW from the start.  Hope it never returns myself.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

As a druid it is kind of lethal though... You see after a while you get used to just doing stupid jumps off of things and go in to flight form on the way down... It dossa not worksa good now.

Druid pancake with extra failsauce... =P

Beyond that i have no issue with it.

This have been a good conversation

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I have done this too in the past but "voluntary" is the keyword here.

The temporary no-fly until level cap in Pandaria and this permanent one in WOD both feel forced and gimmicky to me... a way to artificially prolong the Xpac content... something that Pandaria needed but there is plenty extra content in WOD with the strongholds that makes it seem odd.

And it's not like this is a gameplay feature rollback to Vanilla: public flight paths were few and far between back then and that all changed with Cata convenience where many additional paths were added. WOD follows the post-Cata mold of having them all over the place as well... and there was a hell of a lot more about Vanilla that slowed the progression, such as much tougher regular mobs whereas the ones in WOD are very dense, to be sure, but laughably weak.

So sorry, not even "for the sake of vanilla nostalgia" makes sense to me. I'd much rather fly here too now that we've been used to flying for many years.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Originally posted by tawess

As a druid it is kind of lethal though... You see after a while you get used to just doing stupid jumps off of things and go in to flight form on the way down... It dossa not worksa good now.

Druid pancake with extra failsauce... =P

Beyond that i have no issue with it.

Good. That is what you get for farming my nodes in flight form while I have to take time to mount. Love the change though.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Love the no flying.  It doesn't make much sense from a lore standpoint, and is yet another "not-feature" of WoD, but ultimately it makes the world feel more alive, makes exploration more interesting and I run into enemy players all the time when I want some good ol' PVP, and they can't just fly away and avoid it!  I kind of dread when flying ultimately makes it into the expansion.
    Well between me and the OP Im shocked how this thread is going. Seems the desire for flying mounts in WoD is not that big lol
  • Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

I have to agree that I am enjoying being tethered to the ground once again.  Like most it seemed before when you could fly, you could just skip everything but your objectives and that's it.  It made the game much easier to get through at least for lvling/dailies purposes.  It definitely helps with immersion although not sure how the lore is affected by it.  Overall I hope they leave it out of WoD, it doesn't feel needed and like many wow zones, there is stuff all over the place, with flying you barely see it.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Well between me and the OP Im shocked how this thread is going. Seems the desire for flying mounts in WoD is not that big lol

But it's not really a new argument. People have been saying this for several expansions now.

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468

Didn't some of their higher up content designers state that if they could undo one thing they have implemented in WoW it would be flying mounts?

Trust me, it wont kill you to ride around on the ground.

Who remembers when you were on foot until level 40?

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

Leaving out flying in WoD was easily one of the best decisions they could've made.

Reason: Read all of the great points made in this thread thus far. Flying adds very little, while taking away far more from the game.

• NixlNixl Member Posts: 67

I could not disagree more.  I hope Blizzard never adds it back in.  Draenor is not hard to navigate to begin with, and all flying would add is allowing people to circumvent mobs or players. 

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

But it's not really a new argument. People have been saying this for several expansions now.

Saying and doing is not the same thing =-) People say they want an old school MMO a lot but project gorgon does not have 500K players yet. Seeing a game roll back to no flying mounts and seeing it embraced is really cool. Maybe MMOers are growing up past the wack a mole mentality. 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Mark me down in the "Wish there wasn't flying mounts" camp

Just like in the real world: Flying makes the world soooo much smaller

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Saying and doing is not the same thing =-) People say they want an old school MMO a lot but project gorgon does not have 500K players yet. Seeing a game roll back to no flying mounts and seeing it embraced is really cool. Maybe MMOers are growing up past the wack a mole mentality. 

The interesting thing, is that Blizzard could easily remove the flying restriction if things didn't work out, i think its testament to the games ongoing success that they have not had to yet, hopefully they won't ever, but i wouldn't rule it out in 4 or 5 months time, as by then sub numbers will probably have dropped back to earlier levels, give or take the odd million image

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Hoplites

unlike other MMO's that age with time, this is the first that has made playing content at level cap more painful and reduced replay value.

What a shame.

Not having flying mounts is perhaps one of their better decisions they have ever made. Once the next xpac comes out they should introduce it then, but not before. I enjoyed exploring the world again without the laziness of flying mounts. Not sure why people find them so 'fun' to begin with, good cosmetic, but that's all really and it worked in BC as that place required you to actually fly but in WOTLK, CATA and MOP it was completely unneccessary. 

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    There's a flightpath every 100 meters and it takes seconds to fly anywhere. Point moot.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Ino flying has a lot of advantages and only a couple disadvantages, a great move by blizz.

Disadvantages

-you have to ride through the world from flight points.
    --mm that's it?

Advantages

- Terrain means something it's not just a meaningless blur of bumps on a map, your more likely to engage with and get to know a world again.
    - no more node hopping
    - you see people in the world more
    - tactical play returns - clearing paths to targets etc
    - no gank from on high
    - exploring is more fun
    - gives bliz freedom to design terain with the questing experience in mind.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D