Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heads up! Potential faction issues.

Hey guys,

There's something you may want to be aware of. The faction system may not be very easy to deal with. For the moment, once you get bad rep with a faction, it seems to snowball until they are fully hostile and want to kill you right NOW!

That's not so bad, except it appears to be extremely difficult to correct the situation and it will pose grave problems if you want to visit space controlled by factions hostile to you. It may also pose problems for groups if one or more group members manage to get in this situation. As it stands, and without adjustment, you can get trapped and the only way I know of to clear that is to delete your save, thereby losing any progress you have made.

If this changes, I'll drop back by. Could get adjusted with the next patch. If this is intended? Oh, brother! Absolute fail!

Update: Bug appears squashed at launch, Will update if the situation changes.

Edit number 2: I need to point out that I made an error! It's not a fail at all! It's just some very hard edges for you to bump into! This mofo appears to meant to challenge like nothing you have ever encountered before! I had to think about it very carefully and go back and study the manual. If you want an unusual challenge, you may like this one. if you are just wanting a space pew pew, this one will probably just kick you in the teeth. Get your A-Game on if you want to play!

Search Elite Dangerous manual to find the link.

Judge it by normal MMO rules and you will be mistaken. That was my mistake. You have my apologies. This one is thought out way way outside the box! I'm wondering if it may end up constituting a new genre, or is simply the first "correct" interpretation of what a space sim SHOULD be.

Man, I am a little slow on the uptake sometimes. But at least I try to make it right.

Comments

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    What happens if you try and visit space owned by a faction hostile to you?
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Originally posted by Holyavenger1

pew pew pew....BOOM

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• snowman22snowman22 Member UncommonPosts: 54

for anyone reading this that hasnt played game. keep in mind that to get hostile you have to be rather retarded and

fail at missions, (just read the mission before willy nilly taking them)

can you afford the items?

is the system out of your jump range?

do you have enough time to finish missions?(mission timer is real time not game time.so it runs while off line) 

do you know where to get said items  for retrival and donation missions?

get caught with stolen items.

kill local law enforcement

not ask for docking permissions constantly

hover over another docking platform

kill target friendly with said faction in said factions space

so yeah its a harsh game if you mess up. but its like blaming the train company for hitting your car that is stopped at a crossing

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Originally posted by snowman22

for anyone reading this that hasnt played game. keep in mind that to get hostile you have to be rather retarded and

do you have enough time to finish missions?(mission timer is real time not game time.so it runs while off line) 

so yeah its a harsh game if you mess up. but its like blaming the train company for hitting your car that is stopped at a crossing

You also lose faction when taking down a bounty even if target is wanted (bug)

When reading BB missions if you "decline" you lose faction from group offering said mission (bug)

Due to mission failures due to connection issues, this one here I think is going to skyrocket at live release the 16 as there are many many people having this problem right now

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

Is this a MMO or just a single player game with some multiplayer? Being here it should be a MMO but all i hear people saying is that its mostly a single player game with a bit of multiplayer...

So what is the truth? Is it more like EVE Online or not?

• wuckswucks Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by alexhpy98721
    Is this a MMO or just a single player game with some multiplayer? Being here it should be a MMO but all i hear people saying is that its mostly a single player game with a bit of multiplayer...

So what is the truth? Is it more like EVE Online or not?

It's a single player game with rudimentary multiplayer tacked on. The devoted will try and assure you otherwise.

Nothing at all like eve.

Plenty of non-mmos on this site now though.

• Originally posted by alexhpy98721
    Is this a MMO or just a single player game with some multiplayer? Being here it should be a MMO but all i hear people saying is that its mostly a single player game with a bit of multiplayer... So what is the truth? Is it more like EVE Online or not?
    It's different from EvE in many ways, but similar in some. The most obvious gameplay difference you will notice being you control the ship hands-on from the cockpit rather than point and click. It's multiplayer or single player, depending on player choice. Although when you play single player you will still need to be online and you will still be indirectly affected by other players through the background galaxy simulation.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Experimemt13

Hey guys,

There's something you may want to be aware of. The faction system may not be very easy to deal with. For the moment, once you get bad rep with a faction, it seems to snowball until they are fully hostile and want to kill you right NOW!

That's not so bad, except it appears to be extremely difficult to correct the situation and it will pose grave problems if you want to visit space controlled by factions hostile to you. It may also pose problems for groups if one or more group members manage to get in this situation. As it stands, and without adjustment, you can get trapped and the only way I know of to clear that is to delete your save, thereby losing any progress you have made.

So unless you like the idea of grinding the same thing over and over due to self wipes, you may want to pass. The game is beautiful, but it ain't that good. Not for me. It could become serious hamster running on a wheel time.

If this changes, I'll drop back by. Could get adjusted with the next patch. If this is intended? Oh, brother! Absolute fail!

Such an odd sentence to see in a MMO, even if this isn't a MMORPG.  Can you really play some portion of the game, decide that you don't like the outcome (say getting bad faction) and then erase it all by deleting the save and going back to an earlier point.

If so, that makes this very single player like and I'm not quite sure whether I think that's a good thing or a bad.  I've always wanted a "save" game in an MMO so I could go off and attempt something stupid, knowing I could reset if it didn't work out.

As to the faction issue that doesn't sound like a good situation, in EVE you can ruin your faction with either the NPC empires, or the police force (Concord) but there are game mechanics in place to restore your faction.  Might not always be easy or quick, but no character is ever made a total loss due to faction standings, always hope for redemption. (or a life in null/low sec)

I will say in EVE, quite a few mission runners and faction warriors screw up their faction with one or more NPC empires not realizing the implication of their game play actions and come to regret having to grind it back up again in order to access the full range of High sec space.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• I think "deleting your save" in this case is the equivalent of deleting your character in WoW and making a new one. It's just called a "save" instead of a "character." Note that I don't have full Gamma access, but I think if it was a regular single player game save people would have rioted.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Asm0deus
    Originally posted by Holyavenger1

pew pew pew....BOOM

Similar to Eve Concord (i.e. inescapable certain death) or can you fight back or run?

What percentage of space do factions control?  Living in some remote part of the galaxy as an outlaw is actually pretty appealing to me.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Experimemt13Experimemt13 Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Experimemt13

Hey guys,

So unless you like the idea of grinding the same thing over and over due to self wipes, you may want to pass. The game is beautiful, but it ain't that good. Not for me. It could become serious hamster running on a wheel time.

Such an odd sentence to see in a MMO, even if this isn't a MMORPG.  Can you really play some portion of the game, decide that you don't like the outcome (say getting bad faction) and then erase it all by deleting the save and going back to an earlier point.

Yes, it it rather peculiar and you wipe all progress in the operation. That's devastating if you have worked hard to build up a ship and need to delete it all! But again, it seems squashed. If I learn of any reoccurrence, you will be the first to know. I despise the treatment some game companies dish out and won't stand for more.

For you guys wondering if this is an MMO, Elite Dangerous is using more or less the same scheme as War Thunder. Your "instance" can hold up to 32 players. There's a very good technical reason, to provide optimum performance! Think about EVE, too many ships in a system and it lags to hades!!! That's instant death given the nature of the combat in Elite!

So if you call War Thunder a MMO, you can't call this one anything else.

@ Dave: Each faction controls roughly 1/3 of inhabited space and a life of piracy would be challenging. Word of advice if you want to try? Use outposts, not stations. Less chance of  a scan!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by snowman22

It's brutally harsh compared to most mainstream MMO's, lol

It has actual penalties and a host of ways to earn them. It flies directly in the face of the theory that "players should always be rewarded, never punished". Modern MMO'ers are in for a rough ride...

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

So in other words:

-this game requires reading and thinking.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by Axxar

I think "deleting your save" in this case is the equivalent of deleting your character in WoW and making a new one. It's just called a "save" instead of a "character." Note that I don't have full Gamma access, but I think if it was a regular single player game save people would have rioted.

Is the 'save' a local file? or server data? I would hate to think that this is something stored on the client, as it will surely get modified, and cause all sorts of havoc.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by Superman0X
    Originally posted by Axxar

I think "deleting your save" in this case is the equivalent of deleting your character in WoW and making a new one. It's just called a "save" instead of a "character." Note that I don't have full Gamma access, but I think if it was a regular single player game save people would have rioted.

Is the 'save' a local file? or server data? I would hate to think that this is something stored on the client, as it will surely get modified, and cause all sorts of havoc.

It's a remote save. Obviously that has it's own potential issues but Frontier seem quite decent about fixing problems ie https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=75753