Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning Player needs advice? TANK Or DPS??

So i gave this game another shot last night and despite having a lvl 45 sith sorcer i decided to start fresh and roll a jedi. I am approaching the level where i need to make a descion as to roll tank or dps , Now here's my dilema.... I have never played a tank despite over 10 years of playing MMO's this intrigues me but the real motivation lies in the fact i would probably not sit in long Q's when running dungeons ie flashpoints...  At the same time i would prefer to roll dps which im comfortable with but afraid that ill never get to expierance flashpoints/dungeons because of the games age and expansion. I would imagine few playersare still running old content....

Can any SWTOR Vets give me advice, If i roll tank, how unforgiving are the dungeons to a inexpieraned tank? If i roll dps how long should i expect to wait in Q, will i even be able to find groups for old content?

Any advice suggestions are welcome.....

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Comments

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    I haven't played SWTOR in a year, but when I did, I was a Jedi Shadow tank. I am an experienced MMO vet but this was the first game I tanked with any level of seriousness and I didn't have any issues doing any of the content. Like most other games, DPS will have harder times getting groups. My queue times as a tank were usually instant. Thanks to the companion system, it's entirely possible to level and quest as a tank as well. If you think you want to tank, I'd say go for it. I had a really fun time doing it in this game.
  • SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

As someone stated, getting a group with tank will be quick. My experience tanking was not pleasant doing PUGs. I got into one of the early flashpoints in the game and clearly explained I was brand new to tanking and class in this game to the group. Let one DPS die and they let into you. Had to put a person on ignore midway through the flashpoint.

My advice on tanking is find a good guild that you can get into mumble/teamspeak if you plan to do groups for tanking until you know the flashpoints by heart. I have a Knight and Vanguard I only do Flashpoints with guild. I enjoy the classes and tanking a lot, but the PUGS not so much.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• CalgorCalgor Member Posts: 106

Tanking will not be a problem at lower lvls, for solo put out your healer and you can kill nonstop, albeit a little slower then a DPS. When it comes to endgame is where being a tank can be rougher. Tanks are expected to be adequately geared already and know all the fights beforehand. I know it sounds dumb but people want tanks that already have the best gear and don't like to teach fights to new tanks. That said right now, with the expansion just being released, nobody is geared and very few have all the strats down pat. Right now is probably the best time to get a new tank to 60 and start raiding and grping for Flashpoints. 6 months from now will be a different story.  For old school raiding, ie not current endgame, its not as big of an issue and for flashpoints as long as you hold aggro nobody really cares if you are already up to snuff or not. Plus super quick queue times for Tanks and Healers.

DPS on the other hand only need to not stand in the bad stuff and have a general grasp on their characters. Its a lot more lenient towards being masters of content beforehand. But for Hardmode endgame your DPS will be scrutinized a lot more, but as I said before the expansion hit the reset button so everyone is back to square one, and what with the new discipline system and new abilities many are still learning their new rotations. But you queue times will be massive as there are 100 DPS for every tank and healer, so wait times of 30 mins plus even during peak hours isn't unheard of.

TLDR: Right now is a good time to get in what with the new expansion so play whatever you will have the most fun doing.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

Ending up rolling dps, Sat in q for 2 1/2 hours with no luck finding a group. Should have rolled Tank......

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Originally posted by thunderC

Ending up rolling dps, Sat in q for 2 1/2 hours with no luck finding a group. Should have rolled Tank......

Low lvl queue? Caue right now hardly anybody is doing lowbie stuff so for DPS its going to be next to impossible to get grps till you hit 50+.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

For a tank w/ a healer at low level you either need to have Treek or go Trooper , who gets Dorne around level 20. J/K gets Doc around 40. Shadows get Theran around 24 for Shadow tanks

I never enjoyed tanking in FPs but the WZs were often fun. Killing while leveling is of course slower but it's hard to die, which is a plus.

The new 3.0 re-do on the skills did make me feel tankier at low levels (Storm at 10 I think it is and Harpoon at 22 [another trooper again]) and I'm having fun with it.

On the good side if you [spacebar] through the cut scenes you can re-roll a char and be off the starter planet in and hour and a half if you wanted to re-re-roll.

• maxjeniusmaxjenius Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Why do people ask questions like this, unless it's their first MMO experience? What role do you like to play when you play an MMO? If you prefer to DPS, rolling a tank just to get fast queue hits doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
    Originally posted by maxjenius
    Why do people ask questions like this, unless it's their first MMO experience? What role do you like to play when you play an MMO? If you prefer to DPS, rolling a tank just to get fast queue hits doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Why do people make posts like this, they waste their time giving their opinion on something nobody asked for in the first place. The thread isn't what do you peeps think about me asking what class should I play. Participate or simply move on without the needless judgement on the worthiness of someone elses thread.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Thunder, what I'd do is roll both, leveling is a breeze in TOR, so it really takes no time to get a character up to the mid levels... by then you'll know what you want to go with.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson