Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One Month Later

JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

How do we feel? Is WoW still king?

I am having fun, but at the same time... I don't feel that special feeling upon logging in. Nor do I think about WoW when I am not playing it and when I do play, I can only really do it in 1-2 hour sessions.

Grinding Apexis crystals right now, and it just isn't fun. Feels like Hasla in Archeage.. grinding and tagging stupid mobs. Heroics and now Raiding and Arena is the focus of my time right now, and I enjoy my boosted 90 class as playing a new class is refreshing.

I don't feel this is the right direction for WoW though. They could have offered us something new besides garrisons, it is not a fantastic feature IMO, and really takes away from the social aspect.

I hope they add something like Timeless Isle in MoP. That was a bit of fun on a PvP server. I hate to say it, but I think I liked MoP better. Also, I really miss flying. I know for some games limiting flying works, but being able to fly in WoW was something that made it unique.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Honeymoon period almost Over - realisation will eventually dawn for the masses that inserting a single player side game into wow has nothing to do with rpg's and connecting with your in game avatar and th virtual world. Next step back to the raid race for gear for the next 2 years.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

There is no "race" or "top" in PvE, as long as a guild can do endless attempts on a boss for a full week 24/7, clearly the guild with most time invested will excel at progression.

Find a top guild that raids for 6-9 hours in the week who can compete with these so called "top guilds" and then that would be something. The real fun in WOW is the arena/RBG for me. PvE is too casual, but certainly a great feature that makes the game more than it is. I was planning to get into raiding in WOD, but been too busy with PvP. The 20 man thing is also too much, 10 was great since I could actually make an impact on our progression.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    It's fun but I'm likely heading back to playing Rift or SWTOR more.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Robokapp

World race is in full swing.

Leading US guild got crushed by what everyone believed to be boss#2 (everyone else picked him as boss#6.

Europe has 3 guilds at 6/7 and Oceania has one.

Supposedly the expected leading western guild is skipping the same "boss #2" and progressing on the final boss instead. 

Behind the World Race pack, most top western guilds are arriving at 5/7. 

http://www.methodwow.com/board/content.php?383-Highmaul-Mythic-Progress-Race

Unfortunately this has no effect on my gameplay at all. I could care less who is winning some made up race to beat a game. I have no interest in this aspect of WoW at all. I mainly PvE just to see content and PvP but after years of Bgs and Arena, this game has made virtually zero progress in the PvP aspect (or the PvE aspect really) they simply copy and paste the same game. 

Despite having smooth and fun PvP, they have offered little in terms of game modes that are actually fun and playable. Ashran does not fall into this category for me. They should add some bosses in the game world that flag you PvP or king of the hill points that offer bonuses to your faction or something. There is no open world anymore other than for questing.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Love it, and will for a long time. I play along side swtor though.
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Love it, and will for a long time. I play along side swtor though.

I don't mean to hate on it, I definitely don't regret the time I have spent playing it, but it is that love for the game that wishes WoW could wander outside of it's comfort zone... lol

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Honeymoon period almost Over - realisation will eventually dawn for the masses that inserting a single player side game into wow has nothing to do with rpg's and connecting with your in game avatar and th virtual world. Next step back to the raid race for gear for the next 2 years.

Oh please.  I noticed the list of games you are currently playing.  And I find your entire soapbox speech about "connecting with your avatar and virtual world" to be highly ironic.  

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

Despite i didnt liked the lore much, i could say i liked MoP better than WoD. After a month i find myself doing mostly garisson missions and play the game as a facebook mini game.

Combat is completely boring, classes have no rpg elements at all, there is almost zero character customization, quests are worse than in MoP, talent choices are minimal and almost default. There are no new classes, no new races or even talents. If i m not wrong in a whole expansion and after 10 newl lvl's the only addition is a single talent...

Professions are crap anymore and garissons helped an already bad situation. Placing Bank and AH in the garissons, destroys community and makes the game even more single oriented.

Quality is always top notch but imho that's it. Maybe its me after more than 10k hours played, i don't know. I feel wow has reached its limits.

I will resub for a month and after that i ll try ESO and wait for the Drop 4 in WS.

Btw it doesn't matter what i think about the game. When a mmo is p2p and played by almost 10m ppl, then without a doubt its the KING.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

Originally posted by Varex12

Oh please.  I noticed the list of games you are currently playing.  And I find your entire soapbox speech about "connecting with your avatar and virtual world" to be highly ironic.  

My favourite games are ESO and LOTR, both for the virtual world and relaxed lore based game play, so maybe stick with the thread rather than your slimy little misplaced personal attacks.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

My favourite games are ESO and LOTR, both for the virtual world and relaxed lore based game play, so maybe stick with the thread rather than your slimy little misplaced personal attacks.

But your slimy wide sweeping generalization attack was far better placed wasn't it? 

Originally posted by Zorgo

But your slimy wide sweeping generalization attack was far better placed wasn't it? 

So true.

im attacking the strategy of a company fleecing billions out of a stable customer base you fool, your just attacking people because you don't like their opinions.  I answered your suggestion that im 'ironic'(?) by telling you what games i enjoy and why, you just like being nasty.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I'm still going strong! This has been the best expansion for me yet, so much to do and it's keeping me busy. I'm not going to admit to how many hours I play a day, it is somewhat disturbing. o.O

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

im attacking the strategy of a company fleecing billions out of a stable customer base you fool, your just attacking people because you don't like their opinions.  I answered your suggestion that im 'ironic'(?) by telling you what games i enjoy and why, you just like being nasty.

And now a well placed slimy personal attack. It's all in the timing I suppose. 

Lol, you do realize you re responding to the wrong person, right?

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Ooh man. I knew it. We will now get posts saying that that abomination of an expansion called mop was better. It's a never ending cycle. Previous games get the nostalgia treatment even tho they deserve it.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by JDis25

How do we feel? Is WoW still king?

I am having fun, but at the same time... I don't feel that special feeling upon logging in. Nor do I think about WoW when I am not playing it and when I do play, I can only really do it in 1-2 hour sessions.

Grinding Apexis crystals right now, and it just isn't fun. Feels like Hasla in Archeage.. grinding and tagging stupid mobs. Heroics and now Raiding and Arena is the focus of my time right now, and I enjoy my boosted 90 class as playing a new class is refreshing.

I don't feel this is the right direction for WoW though. They could have offered us something new besides garrisons, it is not a fantastic feature IMO, and really takes away from the social aspect.

I hope they add something like Timeless Isle in MoP. That was a bit of fun on a PvP server. I hate to say it, but I think I liked MoP better. Also, I really miss flying. I know for some games limiting flying works, but being able to fly in WoW was something that made it unique.

they already have a pvp zone and will add one more in the close future, so yea, there is pvp and btw....

the "social aspect" is completely up to you, so if you are missing it, it is only your fault.

also, being able to fly would completely fuck up some rare mobs and treasures you can find, which are not hard to get if you actually fly to them.....

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

After a month:

Still having fun with it, though I'm very casual. I play it along side a Dragon Age/Titanfall. Haven't had an MMO grab my full time gaming in quite some time.

@JDis: I didn't realize we were discussing YOUR gameplay. The original post is not very clear. I thought we were discussing if WoW is still king. In a made-up kingdom of course.

You were the one that hyjacked the thread. I was asking what people's impressions were a month into the game, not the raid stats of top guilds......

Originally posted by Thane

the "social aspect" is completely up to you, so if you are missing it, it is only your fault.

also, being able to fly would completely fuck up some rare mobs and treasures you can find, which are not hard to get if you actually fly to them.....

I agree it is partly up to the player, but the game doesn't lend itself to being social. You never NEED another player unless you are into the advanced raiding, which doesn't interest me being on the East coast with a full time job and other time constraints.

I am saying there isn't much advantage to having a tight-nit guild. Professions have become an automated farming game. PvP servers have little meaning.

But of course, I don't doubt Blizzard will add to the game so I will keep a close eye on it. I would expect to keep playing for at least another month or so. I think when Tanaan Jungle is released there may be some interesting pvp aspects to it.

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

This xpac was really solid and I still have a lot to explore / do, however I think the fact that most people just hang in their garrisons the majority of the time has and will have a fairly significant effect on the social aspects of the game.

I certainly can't speak for anyone else but when I look at my guild roster in-game, the majority of people are sitting in their garrisons.   Those that aren't are typically in some sort of other instanced content.

Last night I logged into a level 90 char I had sitting in Org and it was a complete ghost town.   

WoW really became a lobby game over the years but at least most people would hang in the capital cities making them feel active.   These days, not so much.  

Originally posted by Xssiv

This xpac was really solid and I still have a lot to explore / do, however I think the fact that most people just hang in their garrisons the majority of the time has and will have a fairly significant effect on the social aspects of the game.

I certainly can't speak for anyone else but when I look at my guild roster in-game, the majority of people are sitting in their garrisons.   Those that aren't are typically in some sort of other instanced content.

Last night I logged into a level 90 char I had sitting in Org and it was a complete ghost town.   

WoW really became a lobby game over the years but at least most people would hang in the capital cities making them feel active.   These days, not so much.  

That is how I feel too. I wish Garrisons were never brought to WoW and instead we could have something that brings people together or perhaps even refuels the Alliance vs Horde pride. Guild versus Guild would be interesting too. Politics/sandbox elements/dynamic events & a changing world. All ideas Blizz could implement.

The last wonderful feature they introduced to the game was Battle pets and the revamped 1-60. and over the course of 10 years I think they took away more than they gave us. I want flying back too :(

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Xssiv

At first I thought this too, but it doesn't make much of a difference. What is different is when people are in the garrison they are still chatting instead of all standing in between the bank and AH. I don't really miss that at all, it was merely a place to show off mounts and gear anyway.  I would much rather have my own garrison to dabble with for a few minutes every day and to have my own place. /shrug 

As far as a "ghost town" is concerned, I remember when WOTLK started and the entire server of people was in Dalaran causing horrible lag. Either way folks will eventually start filtering back into their capital cities.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

@JDis: I didn't realize we were discussing YOUR gameplay. The original post is not very clear. I thought we were discussing if WoW is still king. In a made-up kingdom of course.

You were the one that hyjacked the thread. I was asking what people's impressions were a month into the game, not the raid stats of top guilds......

I actually read his post as further evidence of your opinion.....

If the top guilds are already that far, it begs the question, how much longevity does this expansion have for all of WoW's players? 

Starting to seem like you are discounting the top raiders as not worthy of mention, yet they pay the same sub rate as you, so why wouldn't their experience with the expansion add to the discussion? 

I actually read his post as further evidence of your opinion.....

If the top guilds are already that far, it begs the question, how much longevity does this expansion have for all of WoW's players? 

Starting to seem like you are discounting the top raiders as not worthy of mention, yet they pay the same sub rate as you, so why wouldn't their experience with the expansion add to the discussion? 

Don't worry, I am not discounting anyone. How far along the top raiders are in the game does not define their opinion of the game though. This thread was about how you, as the player, feel about the game. Raid progression is a completely seperate topic that one could easily find on the WoW forums.