Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Monetizing strategy backfired?

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Again, focusing on the 'hand-wavium' examples to avoid discussing the actual point at hand.

/sigh

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

Again, focusing on the 'hand-wavium' examples to avoid discussing the actual point at hand.

/sigh

/sigh

We have discussed it.

We have different opinions, based on the same available facts.

Only the game after launch will tell which opinion was closer to the truth.

Have fun

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Nothing has backfired, at all.

Fact is the game is well funded because people chose, as in freedom of choice, to donate via ship purchases to the development of a game they strongly want to see get made.

Fact is that each milestone in funding opens up new development goals. It employs more artist, more programmers, more interest in the genre itself.... you know the genre that was almost dead prior to all of this.

One of my pals bought just about every ship available, while I personally think it was a bit overboard, it was his money and he had enough of it to give for something that makes him happy, and yes he is happy. He has also spent a large sum giving out ships to people, thus increasing those interested in the game. He knows it doesnt give him any serious advantage, or that its going to make him unique. He does it because he wants to support something he feels strong about. As a result, he has been able to drive down to the Santa Monica offices and get to spend some time in their studio, as well as meet Chris Roberts. He was able to not only be inspired but learn quite a bit in regards to his own personal career path. All the more power to him... and if he some how gets burned or let down at the end of it all...then he learned a life lesson. Thats reality.

We make choices freely and live by them. People are making the choice to fund this game through the ship donation mechanic. It works for all parties involved. There should be no issue unless you are just jealous or angry at its success, which isnt really much of a larger issue as much as it is a personal one.

With enough funding, it also keeps the studio from being part of a bigger publisher. Don't forget, Chris Robert's last studio Digital Anvil was burned and gutted by Microsoft back in the day. Publishers are one of the worst parts of this line of work, they make you reliant on their money while they dictate the nature of the game, and often get rid of the devs that made it happen after its "done", they force dlc, they force drm, they generally do more damage than good and keep the studios dependent upon them to the point where they cannot be independently funded.

So there is more at stake here than just funding the game, but rather it sends the message to EA, Activision..and all those other middle men out there that they are not needed nor can they control the goods and services found in this particular industry. This is something I would gladly support, especially if you know your game history and the role publishers have played in reducing the type of content you receive as well as the studios that exist today.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I definitely don't share in the cool aspect of a ship.First of all you spend most the time if not all of it in a VERY simple ugly cockpit,boring 101.Then unlike a mount that has animation and a feel for riding it,a ship merely floats through the space with zero animation.

You know what happens in a normal game,you get cool armor and weapons to use,you actually hold that weapon,in SC all you have is that same cockpit and ship.point being the hands on and COOL effect is far superior in a normal Fantasy type rpg,so why are people throwing money at boring non animated space ships?

The answer is simple,i see tons of money wasted and thrown around the entire game community so not like i nor anyone else should be surprised at wasteful money spending.We have all heard it a million times "it is my money,i can waste it anyway i want".

As to the question of backfired...seriously?A big fat no,they have got filthy rich and undeserved ,so it most certainly paid off for the DEVELOPER however not for the consumer.

A valid point however is that the game is not released,until that time we can't really give a FAIR valid opinion of the money grab.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Kopogero
    Originally posted by DocBrody

nothing backfired, zero nilch

everyone in the RSI forums knows perfectly well they are just making pledges for a game that will have everything available in game for regular credits you earn.

They "advertise" ships in the pledge store by saying "YOU DON`T NEED TO BUY THIS SHIP, you can wait and get it in the ingame universe with credits"

There will be no magic super weapons that are cash shop only.

There will be no skins that are cash shop only.

There is no "premium ammo" bullshit.

The ship hulls from the pledges still need to be outfitted with improved components, better weapons, overclocking which can only be bought in universe with credits.

There are countless videos of cheap ships with good twitch pilots defeating higher price ships with noob pilots.

Star Citizen is a FPS, there is no "I WIN" button.

Like in any FPS, give a noob a bazooka and the better player will still pwn him two dozen times with a slingshot.

Everyone who keeps spreading this BS about wrong monetization is only running an agenda or has absolutely no clue whatsoever.

PERIOD

In case you didn't know "credits, money don't grow on trees" in other words, people will need to put effort and spend time to earn those credits and then spend them on those ships, which they could be using that same currency on other things in the game if they already had them in first place as you said it yourself...Ship still will require further currency to upgrade them with many other things.

Finally, what you are saying is that as long as something is available in game that players can eventually purchase it with currency, it's not considered pay to win. My guess is those same ships that players spent hundreds to thousands of $ will require significant amount of time/currency to obtain, which you forgot to add to your sentence at the end.

So ask yourself, who really doesn't have a clue here or just check the outcome of the poll or read all the responses in this thread to get the idea.

Oh my god... You mean... *Gulp*... People will actually be required to Play the Game!?!? How dare they expect this of people! The nerve to think people might actually have fun playing the game and earning credits along the way! This is outrageous! *Gasp*

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

Will be funny if the game turns out to be a complete turkey, they knew it and so milked as much money as they could before releasing it. 

I kinda hope it does happen to teach people a lesson, they are throwing money at this unknown title based on pretty pictures, nostalgia and tech demos.

In all honesty though this game will never be able to live upto the expectations anyway.

Originally posted by amber-r

Will be funny if the game turns out to be a complete turkey, they knew it and so milked as much money as they could before releasing it. 

--> Check out the gameplay videos of the PRE-ALPHA version on Youtube. Hundreds of them available from various players. Decide for yourself if its "a complete turkey". 

I kinda hope it does happen to teach people a lesson,

--> I kinda hope it works out and will be awesome. And i put my money were my mouth is to make it happen.

they are throwing money at this unknown

--> Unknown ????????

title based on pretty pictures, nostalgia and tech demos.

--> I play several hours of pretty pictures every week, shoot down other players in PvP, kill hordes of Vanduul in PvE and coop PvE  and have fun with race tracks. But hey ... if you say its only pictures and demos ... more power to you !

In all honesty though this game will never be able to live upto the expectations anyway.

--> I concur. Not every one of 680.659 Star Citizens will feel that expectations have been met. Its simply impossible. Because everyone has a different, individual view of what the game should be. So YES, we will hear wailing and teeth-gnashing from some people NO MATTER how awesome the game will be. Thats the way the cookie crumbles if you have 680.000 design directors in a game. Its like your favorite sports game. Everyone is a world class trainer behind his TV set.

--> Have fun

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Erillion
    Originally posted by amber-r

--> Check out the gameplay videos of the PRE-ALPHA version on Youtube. Hundreds of them available from various players. Decide for yourself if its "a complete turkey". 

I kinda hope it does happen to teach people a lesson,

--> I kinda hope it works out and will be awesome. And i put my money were my mouth is to make it happen.

they are throwing money at this unknown

--> Unknown ????????

title based on pretty pictures, nostalgia and tech demos.

--> I play several hours of pretty pictures every week, shoot down other players in PvP, kill hordes of Vanduul in PvE and coop PvE  and have fun with race tracks. But hey ... if you say its only pictures and demos ... more power to you !

--> I concur. Not every one of 680.659 Star Citizens will feel that expectations have been met. Its simply impossible. Because everyone has a different, individual view of what the game should be. So YES, we will hear wailing and teeth-gnashing from some people NO MATTER how awesome the game will be. Thats the way the cookie crumbles if you have 680.000 design directors in a game. Its like your favorite sports game. Everyone is a world class trainer behind his TV set.

--> Have fun

I think you are side-stepping amber-r's point. You say "no matter how awesome" The point is, it simply may not be awesome at all. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. No body knows what this game is going to be beyond a list of features. Wrum has a great list of features too.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I think you are side-stepping amber-r's point. You say "no matter how awesome" The point is, it simply may not be awesome at all. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. No body knows what this game is going to be beyond a list of features. Wrum has a great list of features too.

I am not side-stepping his point. Everyone can see for themselves if they like the game or not. Plenty of Youtube videos made by players out there. One does not have to watch the developer videos. That is how the game looks in pre-Alpha, on the old version of the Cryengine.

Everyone can keep following the project .. see for themselves how it looks like with a 64 bit CryEngine. How it looks like when it hits feature-complete Alpha, when it hits Beta....

I personally think it will be awesome. Other people may have a different opinion .... 

Have fun

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

I thought these commenst by one of the SC devs was telling. (from an article on this site)

-get components out the door to players more quickly and not wait for things to be completely finished first

-these systems and the experience should get better over time

-continue getting things in a slightly less-than-polished state

-pointed out that it wouldn’t be a free-for-all (not a sand-box)

Author's comments at the end of the article

-I still can’t say it’ll be the Star Citizen I expected when I backed, but I do think it’ll be a pretty bang up version of it.

• ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457

They hoped for 2 mill to make the entire game. Now they got 65 mill and counting.

Are you bloody kidding?

I doubt the devs would've came up with a 65 mill figure in their wildest drug induced wet dreams!

Basically they are overwhelmed with the respons and milk this hypetrain as long as possible. I don't blame them (wont invest more then what i have either though).

Originally posted by Thoemse

They hoped for 2 mill to make the entire game. Now they got 65 mill and counting.

Are you bloody kidding?

I doubt the devs would've came up with a 65 mill figure in their wildest drug induced wet dreams!

Basically they are overwhelmed with the respons and milk this hypetrain as long as possible. I don't blame them (wont invest more then what i have either though).

They wanted a few mill $ from crowdfunding to attract investors. They always knew it costs more to develop such a game.  The overwhelming success of the crowdfunding campaign has made external investors unnecessary. It also allowed CIG to greatly increase the scope of the game.

All of this is well documented with official quotes from CIG and Chris Roberts as well as two years worth of gaming press articles.

Have fun

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf

Nothing has backfired, at all.

Originally posted by DocBrody

nothing backfired, zero nilch

Except for Google, apparently:

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Google does not add cash to this crowdfunding project.

Several  tenthousand new backers every month do.

Have fun

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Wighty
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by maybebaked
    You sir are wrong yet again. The came is scheduled to come out in 2016. They are continuing to collect money, like a lot of other games do. You can buy a castle in Shroud of the Avatar for $5000. How is this any different? How does hype matter this far out from the full game actually being released? 

And how is any of this different than people choosing to spend money in cash shops?

People get to do whatever the hell they want with their money.

A successfully monetized game makes a lot of money - people seem to have a problem with this for some reason.

To some folks dropping $100,000 on a video game is pocket change, to others spending $5 per year on video games is absurd.

Disposable income varies *greatly* because wealth varies greatly.

Precisely... If a guy is driving around in an 15' AMG Mercedez and you're driving around in a 95' Toyota Corolla, despite whether ot not you can afford to drive the higher priced car you choose to spend your money differently.

We clearly live in a class bases society predicated on wealth. This concept seems to be thrown out the door whenever gaming is brought into the discussion in which case everyone wants it to be communist Russia.

Blame capitalism, there are people with far more money than you or I that (as DMK said) can spend thousands++ on gaming and not even blink (whether they can or can't afford to no less)

What you say is true, however there was a day when gaming had managed to keep the influence of wealth out and people were more or less on a level playing field.

Those days are clearly long gone, and money is increasingly becoming a defining factor on what you are able to access in a game which while sad, is just a reality of life.

Fortunately, there are still games you can play where money doesn't have much of an influence, SC just isn't one of them.

Even back then, there were people who worked long hours complaining that games were not on a level playing field because gamers who lived in the mothers basement would play 15 hours a day.  So it has been around a long time.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

The real goal of a company is to make money without pissing it's customers off. SC was pitched and sold as something totally different to the mass ship selling CoD in space game that it's morphed into.

They might have pissed YOU off and some others.  But the growing number of backers - some 35.000 new backers per month at the moment - says something different.  Do not equal your opinion with that of the majority of customers that are backing Star Citizen. 

Does plus 35000 new backers per month sounds like a strategy thats backfiring ?

Have fun

this place is just the hater enclave of people with different agendas against Star Citizen or crowdfunding haters in general.

So many entities with a vested interest in talking down SC, the thing is, reality is grossly different than how the haters display the project.

Gamers are not dumb buying into everything they read on a forum. They can look at game footage themselves, try out the game in its current state, watch streams etc.

The growing budget is not coming out of thin air. It really doesn't matter what they write here the project will grow and CIG will become a major game industry player when the game is released. I can think of a few who don't like to see this happening.

"Gamers are not dumb buying into everything they read on a forum"-  Is this serious?

Your entire argument, btw, relies on conspiracy theories about groups that "hate" something for mysterious "agendas."

"the project will grow and CIG will become a major game industry player when the game is released."-  This is your opinion.  We are talking about a guy who hadn't made a good game in over 10 years.  Money does not equal good good making.

It sounds like you are more comfortable in your echo chamber.  Nothing wrong with that.

I am not side-stepping his point. Everyone can see for themselves if they like the game or not. Plenty of Youtube videos made by players out there. One does not have to watch the developer videos. That is how the game looks in pre-Alpha, on the old version of the Cryengine.

Everyone can keep following the project .. see for themselves how it looks like with a 64 bit CryEngine. How it looks like when it hits feature-complete Alpha, when it hits Beta....

I personally think it will be awesome. Other people may have a different opinion .... 

Have fun

The real problem is the f-ing idiot gamers who think a game that doesn't match their ideals is somehow a failure and the company is a sellout or p2w or the devs are lazy/incompetent. People need to get some perspective and check their own reactions to game design choices.  If you don't like something, fine. 

I have wonder why people invest to much time posting about games they don't like.  Do they have nothing better going on with their little lives?

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

Have fun

The real problem is the f-ing idiot gamers who think a game that doesn't match their ideals is somehow a failure and the company is a sellout or p2w or the devs are lazy/incompetent. People need to get some perspective and check their own reactions to game design choices.  If you don't like something, fine. 

I have wonder why people invest to much time posting about games they don't like.  Do they have nothing better going on with their little lives?

There is no game yet and won't be for some time.  It is being made by someone with nothing created of note within a decade and instead relies on name dropping a series from 20 years ago.

You wonder why people discuss their opinions on a potential game in a forum about games?  I find that hard to believe.  The fact that you name call and want to silence people with different opinions speaks volumes.

Originally posted by whisperwynd

That's uncertain at this time. Game hasn't even launched.

Only when we see what the game is and has to offer can we ascertain if anything 'backfired' concerning money given for ships.

They've made enough money that the game does not need to sell.  Their strategy demonstrably worked.

That being said, the game's quality has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether this strategy is successful or not.

Has the strategy worked in terms of me personally?  I won't touch the game with a 10 foot pole because I do not support games, no matter how good they are, if they are all about monetization.  I do not play games to be asked for money while playing.  Most people aren't principled this way.  Most people don't care.  Most people like the attention they get when showing off things money related.  That is why it works.  

Now, had they introduced ships for $600 and no one bought it and it turned everyone off to the game, then it would have backfired.

Originally posted by Azoth
    Originally posted by jmlane223

Unless you are part of the 1% (referencing USA) dropping even $1000 on concept art is unfathomable to most because that's a LOT of money. Unless you are the minority 1%

Ironic when you consider this was meant to be a grassroots method of getting games made while staying away from the greed culture of AAA.

What game developper be it AAA or indy isn't after profit ? Why do people seem to find the notion of trying to grab money so repulsive ? It's always, if not the first at least the second goal of any company out there.

"Why do people seem to find the notion of trying to grab money so repulsive ?"-  Is this really a serious question?  Do you want an answer?

Originally posted by NightBandit

The only people who feel this is a scam are the people who have not researched it and the one's who feel out priced by what CIG is doing. The fact of the matter all this moaning is pointless if it's not for you then don't spend any coin quite simple as for the OP total pointless survey pal. If you just going to bitch about someone else's success they don't give a shit as they are employing over 300 hundred staff who would not have a job for 3 to 4 years and in my book it's one company growing when all the traditional companies are laying off now if you want to call that a scam then we need more scams like this.

Keep seeing post like this all the time it's getting really boring you people got nothing else to do but complain you need to get out more or go play Wow this is clearly not for you. Oh and I bet that 90% of the people complaining don't play flight or space sims ever too, so that would of been a better survey to find who does.

This is demonstrably false.  Your argument seems to simply be "you are just jealous!", which is a preposterous argument and one that I have rarely heard since grade school.

• jmlane223jmlane223 Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Haha I could not help but laugh when I seen they have a subscription plan... now that is a big wtf? A subscription really? Not even to get in the game but to pretty much give them a monthly income for those truly retarded. 
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

I don't KNOW that those ships are P2W, them seem like VANITY gear that so many P4F gamers say they are fine with.  The truth is the P4F gamers WANT the vanity gear now and that makes it P2W.  Its not the WINing that they are against it's the PAYing.  They don't want or can't afford to pay for their gaming, so they call ANYTHING that they must pay for P2W.  Be it vanity costumes, four month insurance on their gear, or +10 dmg swords.  If they want it and wont pay for it then it's P2W, end of story. 

Calling games P2W is just their way of telling us how poor they are.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

Originally posted by shadow9d9
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Have fun

There is no game yet and won't be for some time.  It is being made by someone with nothing created of note within a decade and instead relies on name dropping a series from 20 years ago.

You wonder why people discuss their opinions on a potential game in a forum about games?  I find that hard to believe.  The fact that you name call and want to silence people with different opinions speaks volumes.

I didn't say that so don't twist my words.  Why would you waste your time posting about a game you have zero interest in getting?  No life?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by shadow9d9
    Originally posted by whisperwynd

That's uncertain at this time. Game hasn't even launched.

Only when we see what the game is and has to offer can we ascertain if anything 'backfired' concerning money given for ships.

They've made enough money that the game does not need to sell.  Their strategy demonstrably worked.

That being said, the game's quality has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether this strategy is successful or not.

Has the strategy worked in terms of me personally?  I won't touch the game with a 10 foot pole because I do not support games, no matter how good they are, if they are all about monetization.  I do not play games to be asked for money while playing.  Most people aren't principled this way.  Most people don't care.  Most people like the attention they get when showing off things money related.  That is why it works.  

Now, had they introduced ships for $600 and no one bought it and it turned everyone off to the game, then it would have backfired.

This is the statement that most concerns me. They are doing this now because it's working. They will continue to do it for as long as it continues to work, including after the game releases. To believe otherwise is simply unrealistic considering they could stand to make even more money selling ships with a workable game.