Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going back to development, How could this game been made better? What changes would need to be made

Comments

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Leon1e

Gw2's model is fine as it is. And i think many people agree with me, given how many people login each day. You people are the vocal minority. The game is great. [mod edit]

I played GW2 since beta, was active on their forums from the start and through release. From what I read on their forums this is far from a minority. GW2 staff have just been good and locking and shutting down threads that said anything about the living story and there being better routs. Even the staff here at MMOrpg.com have said, GW2 taught them they love the trinity system.

[mod edit]

I agree that there are people that enjoy the trinity setup. Im not one of them. People who still play Gw2 are people like me. From business standpoint it would be stupid for them to magically flip that shit on. Forget about the plethora of systems they have to revamp, flipping trinity on Gw2 would certainly kill and burry the game.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Gw2's model is fine as it is. And i think many people agree with me, given how many people login each day. You people are the vocal minority. The game is great. [mod edit]

Oh the irony

Do elaborate on that. I see no irony. If trinity is whatever floats your boat, that's fine, there's plethora of trinity games. I think the trinity is the most retarded mechanic. I've voted with my wallet and never spent a cent on WoW. [mod edit]

I have no issue with GW2 combat. I learned how to operate in dungeons. Infact, my reply has little to do with GW2. And more to do with your response. Your attitude doesn't help. No game is perfect and every game has serious issues that can be addressed to improve them. Telling everyone who thinks differently than you to GTFO is the problem here. Becasue that will ultimately happen. But it will be more than you think. Then GTFO turns into "Where'd everyone go?"

I don't act like that all the time. But on these boards i see the same people complaining over the same things. It's certainly demotivating because Gw2 is truly a success no matter how you look at it. Its a game with good feel to it, amazing graphics, suitable mechanics, dynamic combat and plethora of other amazing features. Sure its not perfect, but to the same bunch of folks that repeat shit like broken radiostations, how you about you/they quit it and stop reading Gw2 forums. That would be great :)  

The only thing the game lacks atm is decent new story, but i dont play Gw2 just because of the story, so I'm alright. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Add class rolls, solid trinity system. If they did I would take the game as is now. That was the main reason I didnt stick around full time.

I like the fact that the game is not like other games on the market - the trinity is an old and dated combat system. It stinks basically.

So, you want to be like GW1 and other games - 'DPS LFG with healer' - yeah that is really advanced!!

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

i'd probably still be playing if

They had taken more lessons form GW1.  For example a more complex skill system then GW1 rather than simpler. When it comes to skills they were much better at balancing them in GW1 then GW2. Even acquiring skills was more interesting and a game within itself. And speaking of games within the game it always seemed to me GW1 had more of these to choose from then GW2. 

Another huge one for me is to Invest in DEs over Living Story. Make DEs more complex over a longer periods of time. Additionally have DEs that are both hard to find and hard to get to. Have DEs tell the story. 

On a side note two things that get complianed about I really liked: 

Personally I like the lack of progressionj. I think they sold out on that to some small degree when it was perfectly fine in GW1. Casual is not - "I'm powerful because I put in more time."  Never missed it in GW1. 

As for the trinity I find it a rather boring mechanic. I will say they needed to make sure what got implemented didn't devolve into everyone goes Berserker. Variety I miss but trinity not so much. 

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    Is GW2 dead or something? 
  • MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by Zarf42

Sure ever since release some have said it is dieing, losing money and not sucessful. Like most things on this site you have to define terms in this case - "Death"

Edit-- 

For some the definition of death is an MMO that I don't like. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-14-guild-wars-2-in-steep-decline-in-weak-q4-for-ncsoft

No, but their profits are down. WoW's profits were down as well till WoD took the game in new directions. Again some hate it some like it. This thread is all talk. Heck as fans playing the game, what changes would you like to see? So far its been mostly former fans who are willing to say the game needs some work. You current fans must have some feedback. You sure cant give them in the GW2 official site lol

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-14-guild-wars-2-in-steep-decline-in-weak-q4-for-ncsoft

No, but their profits are down. WoW's profits were down as well till WoD took the game in new directions. Again some hate it some like it. This thread is all talk. Heck as fans playing the game, what changes would you like to see? So far its been mostly former fans who are willing to say the game needs some work. You current fans must have some feedback. You sure cant give them in the GW2 official site lol

WoW is a sub game where you also buy the box - GW2 is box only. HUGE difference!!! It is not in steep decline as A.Net would have to continually sell boxes to continue to make money at the same rate and that is impossible due to market saturation. That article states that GW2 is the flagship game for NCSoft and it is not - that is Lineage 2 and Blade and Soul. Reporters really need to get a clue when reporting as they pull stuff out of their asses that have no basis in fact other than they think it is so. If A.Net was doing so bad, they wouldn't still be hiring people.

Sure you can give feedback on the official forum but if you just spew hate and not constructive feedback, of course you will get slammed. That happens with every official forum out there.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Add class rolls, solid trinity system. If they did I would take the game as is now. That was the main reason I didnt stick around full time.

I like the fact that the game is not like other games on the market - the trinity is an old and dated combat system. It stinks basically.

So, you want to be like GW1 and other games - 'DPS LFG with healer' - yeah that is really advanced!!

That's how I feel as well.  Yet some people want it to fall in line and be just like every other MMO out there.  Truly there are enough decent TRINITY based MMOs out there that charge subs and with action combat that GW2 doesn't have to conform to that mold?  This is why I don't feel the need to come on these boards to defend GW2 anymore because it bucks most trends and has proven to be a successful game.  Besides, most of the people that come here to say anything negative about GW2 are the same people that have been doing so for the past 2 and a half years.  My thoughts and opinions isn't going change their minds anymore than theirs will change mine. So..../shrug

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Way back when this game came out.. I was one of the most vocal talking about the design decisions...  and now the game has literally devolved into boss timers.. farming .. and zerg groups in WvW.  Its become so trivialized...  that nothing of their original design decisions really hold true.  Theres really just no incentive to play.

The classes are pretty good.. but they aren't really diverse enough.. they cut the skills down so much, that its pretty common to find people that are exact copies of your character.  Apart from ascended gear... which doesn't even look that great and is a major timesink to achieve... the rest is all kind of pointless to try to earn.

The "dynamic events"  aren't as dynamic as they planned I guess...  nobody cares that these events change the world... because they just change back in an hour or so.  All that matters is getting the chests from the zone bosses.

If it were me... I'd seriously start randomizing some content.   Flat out randomization... like back in the CoX  days with their world events.  Throw world bosses out there when people don't expect them, where people don't expect them.  I mean.. level scaling pretty much takes care of the issue with difficulty well enough that you can spawn anything.. pretty much anywhere... and everyone can participate in fighting it.

Give the classes more abilities per weapon.. or just more weapons in general.  Some classes like the engineer and elementalist get a lot of options.. but even those get tiring after a while when everyone else pretty much uses all of the same things.

At this point you really can't incentivize too many different ways.... but if I had a choice... I'd incentivize more skills... even just make the same skills available with different animations to further customize your character.  Changing colors of abilities, ways you cast your powers.. make it a little flashier...  and earn them through.. oh I don't know.. skill trainers or random events.  Just spice up some of that monotony that made me log out so many months ago.

Thats how I see it anyways.  Just make me want to work for something..  if its going to be cosmetic.. make it really define my character. 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by maskedweasel
    The "dynamic events"  aren't as dynamic as they planned I guess...

There were some of us who said the DE would come out like they did but we got talked down to by those who had unrealistic expectations. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Going back to development, How could this game been made better? What changes would need to be made to do so?

What could Anet have done differently?

Only thing I miss (to late I guess for Gw2, but doable for eventual Gw3) is CLASSIC questing with classic quest hubs and progression. I enjoyed for ful 6 months as I remember daily play, leveling all my alts, .... then burden of "innovative" questing with "random" (that are not at all random) events in zone, that hearts, .... got more and more unfun. At the end I was just jumping around with my alts, looking for something to do, to get to next level. Actually I like idea player stats adapt to low areas ... but problem is loot is useless. Otherwise liked all other aspects. Have tried to return many times ... ending at logout maybe even before actually playing. For sure remain best game ever without sub. And nothing is really a must to buy (still have spent a lot of money :-)).

• lordshroom420lordshroom420 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Simple add Monk class a BAM! fixed!
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797

- Factions

- Open World PvP

- and holy trinity (like to play healer)

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by Daikuru

- Factions

- Open World PvP

nope nope and you can play a healer class if you want

pick elementalist get healing gear and bam you can heal :D

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Originally posted by saurus123

- Factions

- Open World PvP

ehhh no.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

If all these ideas posted in this thread went into GW2, I would stop playing GW2.

I would like to see Guild Halls, Missions a la GW1, a vanquishing game mode where you could turn a GW2 zone into a private instance and go kill smarter mobs that worked together, more weapon variety, a moba like pvp variant.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

all these talks about  what the should be and what ppl think the game is...

what the game is and always be focused around will be pvp n wvw ..no matter what kinda content they roll out it will always be what the real players want and play "in game" and 80% witch is pvp n wvw ..plain and simple..sure you have some carebear servers that pve but i play on one of the top 3 pvp wvw servers and thats the main focus ..not pve nor xpan

the 3 high pop servers jq / bg / tc make their money witch are pvp n wvw focused not pve / carebound servers

if your playing this game and your asking your self "what could make this game better?" ...well maybe its just not for you ..GW2 is what it is..a cheap casual pvp / wvw b2p grinder..and grinder i mean for the end game crafted gear if thats your thing

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

100% of 100% agree.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by saurus123

- Factions

- Open World PvP

There is no point in playing a healer when the game is designed to be played without them.... image

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

- Don't dumb down the debuffs and buffs from the first game.

- Have a much larger skill pool of more specialized skills.

- Build PvP around a deeper, more complex PvP mode than conquest. Even a moba clone would be superior.

And a few "Don't do's" regarding post-release choices:

- DON'T add Ascended Gear

- DON'T focus on temporary content or a living story over game-wide improvements.

- DON'T stall on fixing major issues or improving the arsenal of build choices available to the player.

There's plenty of other issues, but these are the biggest ones by far. Comments like "keep the trinity" and "vertical gear grind" are pants-on-head retarded because they don't take the Guild Wars series' target audience into consideration, nor do they consider the merits of tackling a unique sector of the market.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Originally posted by Gorwe

Rather easy:

Do:

-> Add Heroes/Henchman

What possible use could GW2 have for Heroes/Henchmen? Guild Wars 1 was an instanced CORPG, where not having players around to play content would mean that the content would be impossible without AI helpers, but they would serve no purpose in Guild Wars 2. Open world content doesn't synergize with H+H by design, and the dungeon community is more than active enough to give you a group in short order.

Plus, Arenanet is incapable of making decent AI. In order to make H+H even remotely capable of doing dungeon content, they'd have to artificially buff them via major stat increases.

• iGumballStariGumballStar Member UncommonPosts: 106

Most of the complaints are direct towards making GW2 a more traditional MMO.

As GW2 have pretty much been the most commercieally sucessful title in the west since WoW's release (doesn't mean it is the best quality title or the best game, that's all subjective. I am talking here about sales, reviews, media attention, popularity etc.), I don't really think they would have needed to do anything differently. If anything Anet gave us an MMO that experienced with alot of new elements and while some of them got praised, others got hated.

All in all, GW2 is successful the way it is. I don't think changing into a more traditional MMO would make any good and if anything it is too late to do anything. All the game needs is an expansion with some new twists and that will keep players interested for the next 1-2 years.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I've always felt that guild wars 2 was a major downgrade to Guild wars 1, graphics aside ofcourse.

I would've liked to see a functional trinity system, and as many skills as GW1 had and similar ways to unlock them.

I always hated the weapon tied skills and lack of healers, besides that guild wars 2 feels pretty solid.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Trinity - GW2 made me realize how much i liked and missed class roles.

Expansions - I really didn't care for the personal story and would have much rather had new classes and lands to explore.

These would have made the game better for me