Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going back to development, How could this game been made better? What changes would need to be made

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Going back to development, How could this game been made better? What changes would need to be made to do so?

What could Anet have done differently?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Add class rolls, solid trinity system. If they did I would take the game as is now. That was the main reason I didnt stick around full time.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Going back to development, How could this game been made better? What changes would need to be made to do so?

Drop the Living Story. It's anything but.....Stop making content that revolves around a cash shop and return to what people originally thought B2P meant back in 2011, by making frequent boxed expansions they way they did with GW1 instead of this "F2P" model with a $39.99 cover charge.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Step 1: Keep the trinity

Step 2: Add vertical progression

Step 3: Profit

Joined - July 2004

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Drop the Living Story. It's anything but.....Stop making content that revolves around a cash shop and return to what people originally thought B2P meant back in 2011, by making frequent boxed expansions they way they did with GW1 instead of this "F2P" model with a $39.99 cover charge.

Here Here!!!

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by remyburke

yep, someone should go and play WoW i'd say.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Here Here!!!

errrrm... try using "hear hear" next time

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Originally posted by Thane

Here Here!!!

Bet your a real winner with the ladies lol

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

- More defined roles with coop where players are dependent on eachother, such as heals, buffs, debuffs, combos, tanking, crowd control. If grouping or working as a group would be more than every player for themselves, the game would be more interesting for me.

- Complete remake of combat. No locking abilities to weapon types, there need to be some better system with more freedom to choose abilities. Some abilities are ok as it is, but much has to change aswell, to allow for above introduction of roles.

- Less frequent dynamic events.. Build on that system, and take it further than just a slightly different exclamation mark quest system.

- Away with loot vender systems, randomize drops so it feel like you are actually player your character, not playing a point system. It has to be by adventuring that gear is gotten.

- Take advantage of that beautiful well designed world full of caves and hidden areas. Named mobs with random spawn, rare materials, etc.. Make it interesting to explore those places.

- The usual, less storytelling by the developer more systems and gameplay allowing players to create their own.

Gw2 is not that far off, they just need to make it interesting to play... Just.

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

While there are a number of things I am not fond of in GW2, I don't think a good starting point for making the game "better" would be:

- Make your game like every other game already out there. 

Originally posted by PulsarMan

While there are a number of things I am not fond of in GW2, I don't think a good starting point for making the game "better" would be:

- Make your game like every other game already out there. 

You are right but the 2 top reasons I have seen why people left GW2 was the class system and living story. I think the devs may want to start looking into that but it is their game and can do what they want with it =-)

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I know!!

How about if they surveyed 10 million gamers.

Then they took the results and put all of the ideas into one game. 

Then they make the game so that you can choose all the features you like and get rid of all the rest.  

Voila!!...... Best game ever!!!

Only one downside.  You can only multiplayer with people who chose the exact same features as you.

Pretty sure we would all be playing alone........

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Originally posted by kjempff

- More defined roles with coop where players are dependent on eachother, such as heals, buffs, debuffs, combos, tanking, crowd control. If grouping or working as a group would be more than every player for themselves, the game would be more interesting for me.

- Complete remake of combat. No locking abilities to weapon types, there need to be some better system with more freedom to choose abilities. Some abilities are ok as it is, but much has to change aswell, to allow for above introduction of roles.

- Less frequent dynamic events.. Build on that system, and take it further than just a slightly different exclamation mark quest system.

- Away with loot vender systems, randomize drops so it feel like you are actually player your character, not playing a point system. It has to be by adventuring that gear is gotten.

- Take advantage of that beautiful well designed world full of caves and hidden areas. Named mobs with random spawn, rare materials, etc.. Make it interesting to explore those places.

- The usual, less storytelling by the developer more systems and gameplay allowing players to create their own.

Gw2 is not that far off, they just need to make it interesting to play... Just.

I agree, I think the game has a pretty solid foundation. However, like most MMOs released in this 2nd decade, the monetization is getting in the way of proper game development.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by Boneserino

I know!!

Then they make the game so that you can choose all the features you like and get rid of all the rest.  

Only one downside.  You can only multiplayer with people who chose the exact same features as you.

As much as people hate to admit it, the game would be WoW.   

Originally posted by flizzer
    Originally posted by Boneserino

I know!!

As much as people hate to admit it, the game would be WoW.   

The game already has more influence from WoW than people want to admit. The problem is that ANET went out of their way to recreate something that wasn't WoW.  Regardless of how well the system already worked, ANET decided if WoW did it, they weren't going to. In a lot of cases, what they replaced was either new and largely untested in a large MMO and thus introduced it's own new set of issues that were unforseen, or they simply introduced a different way to do things that was more of a trade off but really wasn't better.

To me, there was this constant undertone, that I was playing a game that should have been named "Not-WoW Online".

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I would have to agree with having actual class roles while also having the same kind of skill system as GW1. The amount of skills in that game was amazing and had an extremely good deal of playability.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Few things

- progression stops at max level.... Gear,Story and character progression all stopped when the game released as soon as you reached max level.... Not repaired yet

- withouth trinnity groups dungeons turn intoo chaotic battles, with not enough tactical depth

- story, story story.... We need more epic story questlines

- dynamic events are still to predictable, add something like the invasions we know from rift

- and like any MMO, it needs GM lead events..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Few things

- progression stops at max level.... Gear,Story and character progression all stopped when the game released as soon as you reached max level.... Not repaired yet

- withouth trinnity groups dungeons turn intoo chaotic battles, with not enough tactical depth

- dynamic events are still to predictable, add something like the invasions we know from rift

Spot on!

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

Gw2's model is fine as it is. And i think many people agree with me, given how many people login each day. You people are the vocal minority. The game is great. [mod edit]

• MorlewenMorlewen Member UncommonPosts: 45
    1. a much higher variety encounters and boss mechanics: since we do not have a trinity and all classes can fulfill all roles the encounters should reflect this. There should be encounters that cover the spectrum from 5 DD to 6 healer as favorite team composition.
    2. focus on LW and giving up on expansion packs: This would push the game forward and give GW2 a very strong USP.
    3.  better reward system for WvW: all activities should give almost the same reward per hour:Scouting, attacking or defending
    4. better communication: Visions and goals for the game should be clearly visible and well known
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Few things

This is super opinionated. 2+ years in, i still login on daily basis and always find something to do. I would having a carrot on a stick. if that's what you like, there's plethora of other games. I don't want that shit in Gw2. As soon as they add something like that, the game will implode, period.

Tequatl, Great Jungle Wurm, Fractal level 50 and countless other encounters totally fuck up your point. Yeah you can go in like a retard into a fight. Doing it how its supposed to be done lets you run Arah for about 20 minutes with good group though. Think the community record is 11 minutes for path 2. 

In my opinion they are headed there. You can't compare living world 1 to 2 in terms of story. There are no official statements, but I'm expecting an expack or expack announce at the end of LW 2. So that's that.

That's the only point i can agree with you on. Not saying DEs are bad, but full on scale attack would be fun. Considering how much fun i'm having at the silverwastes with mobs sieging the fortresses all the time all over the place. 

You should check the WvW event they've prepared. 

Ontopic, I would like the living world one marionette encounter back. I would much prefered that compared to the great jungle wurm x.o 

Originally posted by Leon1e

Gw2's model is fine as it is. And i think many people agree with me, given how many people login each day. You people are the vocal minority. The game is great. [mod edit]

Oh the irony.

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by Thane

Here Here!!!

Bet your a real winner with the ladies lol

The problem with today's generation

Oh the irony

Do elaborate on that. I see no irony. If trinity is whatever floats your boat, that's fine, there's plethora of trinity games. I think the trinity is the most retarded mechanic. I've voted with my wallet and never spent a cent on WoW. [mod edit]

"When "GTFO" turns into "Where'd everybody go?"" 

Erm ... I'm quite sure that people who play Gw2 now for over 2 years without bitching about the lack of trinity system will keep playing it for the simple reason that they, just like me, don't like the system. Maybe it gives you purpose but to me its nothing but a limitation and I exclusively seek games without trinity. 

I played GW2 since beta, was active on their forums from the start and through release. From what I read on their forums this is far from a minority. GW2 staff have just been good and locking and shutting down threads that said anything about the living story and there being better routs. Even the staff here at MMOrpg.com have said, GW2 taught them they love the trinity system.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

More weapons

More skills

Better Traits

Block Button

Better designed WvW map

I would have made past three weeks and my have been playing up until ESO launch in March.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Oh the irony

Do elaborate on that. I see no irony. If trinity is whatever floats your boat, that's fine, there's plethora of trinity games. I think the trinity is the most retarded mechanic. I've voted with my wallet and never spent a cent on WoW. [mod edit]

I have no issue with GW2 combat. I learned how to operate in dungeons. Infact, my reply has little to do with GW2. And more to do with your response. Your attitude doesn't help. No game is perfect and every game has serious issues that can be addressed to improve them. Telling everyone who thinks differently than you to GTFO is the problem here. Becasue that will ultimately happen. But it will be more than you think. Then GTFO turns into "Where'd everyone go?"

And fo rthe record, I agree with you in that GW2 doesn't need a Trinity.