Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning Player - Where to Start?

EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749

So, I have an on-again-off-again relationship with EVE Online. The last I played was probably 2010, and the newest update has me itching to try it again. Where is a good place for an EVE newbie to start? I remember fondly EVE-University being a big part of my game play before, is this still a good place to begin or has the landscape changed?

Please help a returning player out!

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

EVE Uni are definitely still going stronger than ever. Red vs Blue is also very active indeed for all your casual-access PvP needs too. Brave Newbies are recruiting openly if you fancy giving 0.0 a try, and they seem to be having a whale of a time in Catch.

Basically it's a pretty good time to be a new or returning player - there's a really good energy in the community these days.

And now over to Gdemani to explain why this is the cancer that's killing EVE.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• FinsterwaldFinsterwald Member Posts: 7

I can only give you 1 advise:

Remove the game from your harddisk. They dumped down the game with the last update and made it "easier" to increase subscription numbers.

And after reading what happened to the buddy (TheChronic) in the general forum (see first post above your thread), it seems like it was good decission from my side to quit the game after devs got exposed cheating ingame a couple of years ago.

By now players even get banned for stealing ingame items.

This game has become a joke.

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

I strongly advise you avoid eve online. The developers don't have the balls to make real changes to the game and really nothing has changed since 2010 in regards to game play. 

If you really need to kill some time and want a virtual online job then go ahead.

Eve players either grind isk all day solo or get ordered around by neckbeards and told how to play.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Whatever you do, seek sound advice from knowledgeable players currently enjoying the game, you'll get a lot more mileage from the experience.

There are numerous corps out there willing to train up new players, seek out the right one and you could find a new home in EVE.

Oh yeah, and never fly something that you aren't willing to lose, leads to hard feelings in the end.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Op don't listen to Finsterwald, the guy TheCronics post he's refering to is a guy that got caught and banned for buying ISK ftom gold farmers. The entire post is a fabrication and hes now caught in a lie which has been proven in the thread.

EXPECIALLY don't listen to Sketch420. He's a fraud who never really played EVE as I have exposed him in the following thread.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/419820/Eve-Solo-PVP-Rock-Paper-Scissors-Isk.html

There is so much to do in EVE right now. Exploration is better than ever. But I would suggest what's been suggested above. Check out Eve-UNI, RvB or Brave Newbies. All are amazing corps for Newbros and vets alike.

EVE is better than ever imho.

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by Deathenger
    Op don't listen to Finsterwald, the guy TheCronics post he's refering to is a guy that got caught and banned for buying ISK ftom gold farmers. The entire post is a fabrication and hes now caught in a lie which has been proven in the thread.

EXPECIALLY don't listen to Sketch420. He's a fraud who never really played EVE as I have exposed him in the following thread.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/419820/Eve-Solo-PVP-Rock-Paper-Scissors-Isk.html

There is so much to do in EVE right now. Exploration is better than ever. But I would suggest what's been suggested above. Check out Eve-UNI, RvB or Brave Newbies. All are amazing corps for Newbros and vets alike.

I played eve on and off since 2010 I have no idea how you can be delusional to think you know what games I have played in my life.

Don't take is so personal that some people may not like the boring game you play. I do spreadsheets at work not for the video games I play.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Sketch420

I played eve on and off since 2010 I have no idea how you can be delusional to think you know what games I have played in my life.

Don't take is so personal that some people may not like the boring game you play. I do spreadsheets at work not for the video games I play.

You need to take your own advise and understand that some people may like the "boring" games you don't.  For a person who is interested in returning to EVE the advise about specific corps they can join is really good.  Your advise to just not play really isn't that helpful at all now is it?

I don't play EVE currently although I have been tempted to return recently and if I did I would seek out one of those corps previous posters suggested.  What I wouldn't do is accept some random persons value assessment of the game based on vague complaints about the game that are subjective opinion at best.

You're right Sketch420, I made a bit of a typo in my post above. In the thread I was talking about I said "you either never played the game, or are the biggest baddie to ever play EvE. This is based off your claim that combat only consists of selecting a target. ..hit F1 and orbit and that's it.

So since you are maintaining you really did play then I guess the later must be true. That you are extremely bad at EvE. Which is cool, but don't bash the game because you are absolutely terrible at it!

OP, there is serious ISK than can be made by Newbros right now. Search for dessie wolf rayet fleets. Guys are forming fleets with destroyers with shit fits clearing sleepers in high level wormholes.

Sorry I can't make this a real link, you'll have to copy and paste.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=390375&find=unread

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

Hhahah press F1 and orbit and your done.. lmfao

come to querious region know it all and get reamed a new butt hole if you think its that simple.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    OP, you may want to consider creating a new character just to do the turtorials and relearn how to play. Once you've figured it out again go back to your existing character and go forward from there.
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749

Wow. I've been constantly playing EVE for about a week now, and totally forgot about this thread. It surprises me that so many people are so negative about the game. I didn't come here asking IF I should play it - I already made my mind on that one.

As a returning player to EVE, I can say that the changes they've made are ASTOUNDING, IMO. It's like a completely different game than when I last played. Simpler? Maybe. Easier to understand and access? Absolutely. That's a key component to bringing in new players. Before, EVE was a very complicated beast (not that it isn't anymore) but also very hard to understand. I find it (still) a complicated beast, but SO much easier to understand and navigate. Especially with the new UI. Thank goodness they got rid of that terrible 90s graphically-fancy UI.

The community seems quite different as a whole, as well. Everyone seems so much more helpful and forgiving. I've had friends new to the game tell me that someone blew up their expensive ship, only to start a conversation with them telling them how to avoid the situation next time, and even giving them ISK to replace the ship. More than enough ISK even than the ship was worth. I'm not saying it's all sunshine and roses, but it's definitely a lot different than it was when I last played. Or at least, it FEELS different.

I've had such a blast with E-Uni over the past week, and have recently gotten involved in both Incursions and low-sec PvP. I can't even being to tell you how deep this game is. It's hard to fathom ever being able to do everything there is to do in EVE. The risk vs reward scheme is perfect. It creates and fosters really amazing player based content ... And it's incredible. Whole corporations dedicated to a specific doctrine, ran by players themselves, that effect the entire community in profound ways.

The game also sports a really neat developer -> community relationship with the CSM. A player-elected "council" that brings the communities' issues, concerns, and ideas the the developers doorstep? Each with their own platform, audience, and goal? How amazing is that? I don't think any other game can quite say that they have this feature. I thought it was so neat!

I can't say how happy I am returning to EVE. I've already gotten multiple accounts running again, and skill queues for each of them for different tasks! I can't wait to delve deeper into this sandbox.

o7

Glad to hear it op. Yeah just ignore the trolls. There are a few posters on here with their own agenda rather than talking about the topic.

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Glad to hear it op. Yeah just ignore the trolls. There are a few posters on here with their own agenda rather than talking about the topic.

You don't say. On an internet forum? Who would have thought!

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

As you stated, it's an on again, off again kind of game.

Glad you are in the On again side but burnout will set in. I've been back for 5 or 6 months and it is for me. Times will vary by person but that's the glory and the bane of EVE.