Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible Episode 7 Spoiler - KOTOR link in EP7?

2»

Comments

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by Incomparable

I like the story of revan, and even like the possibility of revan being in the movie.

However, what I don't like is thinking about how the people at swtor marketing probably had a hand in this.

Meanwhile, the swtor is raking in 100s of millions in revenue, but EA somehow allows swtor to produce a tiny expansion with limited content. Maybe the swtor team is 5 actual programmers, and 50 people doing other things like running their websites, writing 'story', marketing etc

I know that producers like to treat their that consumers like they are retards. And that's how we are being treated really, since you might have a game already purchased with DLC already steamlined just after purchase. Maybe, sure, a huge company can cut down on costs, and therefore still offer content for a good price... but...

But look at swtor and in 3 years since release and what it has to offer since then, and what should/could offer now. OR what it could have offered if they went with an engine to handle mmo pvp.

So, even though I like revan, I see this as a marketing scheme for a game that has been mismanaged. I will try to brush this aside while I eat my pop corn and swallow my tears.

You won't have to, because he won't be in the movie. There is no way in hell that they will interrupt the flow of the story to put in some character that to most people will not be some significantly understood "ghost" from the past. Even if a similar character appears in the movie it will be named differently and be a composite or something like that.

Introducing a character that is thousands of years old and has all that history would require some exposition and explanation to introduce a new rule for the setting that moviegoers have not seen before. Ghosts were in the other movies, but not any from thousands of years ago.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Archlyte
    Originally posted by Incomparable

I like the story of revan, and even like the possibility of revan being in the movie.

However, what I don't like is thinking about how the people at swtor marketing probably had a hand in this.

Meanwhile, the swtor is raking in 100s of millions in revenue, but EA somehow allows swtor to produce a tiny expansion with limited content. Maybe the swtor team is 5 actual programmers, and 50 people doing other things like running their websites, writing 'story', marketing etc

I know that producers like to treat their that consumers like they are retards. And that's how we are being treated really, since you might have a game already purchased with DLC already steamlined just after purchase. Maybe, sure, a huge company can cut down on costs, and therefore still offer content for a good price... but...

But look at swtor and in 3 years since release and what it has to offer since then, and what should/could offer now. OR what it could have offered if they went with an engine to handle mmo pvp.

So, even though I like revan, I see this as a marketing scheme for a game that has been mismanaged. I will try to brush this aside while I eat my pop corn and swallow my tears.

You won't have to, because he won't be in the movie. There is no way in hell that they will interrupt the flow of the story to put in some character that to most people will not be some significantly understood "ghost" from the past. Even if a similar character appears in the movie it will be named differently and be a composite or something like that.

Introducing a character that is thousands of years old and has all that history would require some exposition and explanation to introduce a new rule for the setting that moviegoers have not seen before. Ghosts were in the other movies, but not any from thousands of years ago.

My money is on that. It prob won't be Revan himself (though I think it is a small possibility), but it will definitly be based off of Revan.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Well... all that picture really shows is that the bad guy is cloaked and helmeted, which not only shares similarities with Revan, but also almost every Sith outfit available in SWTOR.

Also, and I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but I don't think Disney has rights to Revan nor any KoTOR character.

It would've been cool to have Revan in an unnamed cameo, like in a montage of the history of force users, or something.

Personally, I'd rather it not be Revan.  Nothing against the character, just that the movies and the KoTOR games have always had a different feel, IMO.

• CalgorCalgor Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by Robsolf

Well... all that picture really shows is that the bad guy is cloaked and helmeted, which not only shares similarities with Revan, but also almost every Sith outfit available in SWTOR.

Also, and I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but I don't think Disney has rights to Revan nor any KoTOR character.

It would've been cool to have Revan in an unnamed cameo, like in a montage of the history of force users, or something.

Personally, I'd rather it not be Revan.  Nothing against the character, just that the movies and the KoTOR games have always had a different feel, IMO.

I hope part of the KOTOR/SWTOR feel is what they bring into the SW movies going forward, kind of what they had going in Ep IV, the sense of this being one part of a much larger story. When Obi-Wan tells Luke that for over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the old republic it only made you want to know more.

As far as rights go I believe EA has the rights to produce all SW games for like 9 years but I believe the names and the rest would still be owned by Disney. I could very well be wrong tho.

As much as I'd like to see them fold The Old Republic into the existing canon of Star Wars I think the fact they changed Korriban to Moriband in the Clone Wars (which, unless something changed in the handover to Disney, was always considered canon) does not bode well and I think the likelihood of Revan making an appearance is very slim.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Calgor

I hope part of the KOTOR/SWTOR feel is what they bring into the SW movies going forward, kind of what they had going in Ep IV, the sense of this being one part of a much larger story. When Obi-Wan tells Luke that for over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the old republic it only made you want to know more.

As far as rights go I believe EA has the rights to produce all SW games for like 9 years but I believe the names and the rest would still be owned by Disney. I could very well be wrong tho.

As much as I'd like to see them fold The Old Republic into the existing canon of Star Wars I think the fact they changed Korriban to Moriband in the Clone Wars (which, unless something changed in the handover to Disney, was always considered canon) does not bode well and I think the likelihood of Revan making an appearance is very slim.

Yes indeed!  Same thing about Obi Wan and Anakin being friends and fighting together.  Then Episode 1 happened and:  "Anakin @ 8 years old?  Midichlorians???  I wanna know less!  I wanna know less!!!"  image

Of course they do. They own the Star Wars IP, and everything in it (including the entire EU, regardless of which 3rd party company developed the material).

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by doodphace

Of course they do. They own the Star Wars IP, and everything in it (including the entire EU, regardless of which 3rd party company developed the material).

Either way...it is NOT Revan.....they have revealed the names of the new people from the trailer...

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/12/11/star-wars-the-force-awakens-character-names/4/

Thank god they are not using the EU...

Originally posted by orionblack

Either way...it is NOT Revan.....they have revealed the names of the new people from the trailer...

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/12/11/star-wars-the-force-awakens-character-names/4/

Yup, was just coming to update the tread with that.

It like I suspected, not Revan, but one who's look was borrowed very heavily from.

The "awakening" part turns out to be the force getting stronger, to the point that people who didn't know they were force sensitive, end up feeling it. Almost as if the force "wants to be used" and starts to "call out" after the jedi purge and fall of the sith.

On a side note...they are using some EU...

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

This thread contains no spoilers for Episode 7.

The question isn't: is that Revan's mask?

The question is: Why is he wearing Revan's mask?

It's so obviously Revan's mask, there's no point in debating it. Everyone saying "it'll be shit if it's Revan" can calm down. Driver is Revan. Revan is featured in some way however.

What better way to draw in existing Star Wars fans that may be a little annoyed that Disney are killing off the EU post episode 6? Revan is almost certainly the most popular character in the Star Wars franchise outside of those featured on the movies. In fact, he's more popular that a lot of characters in the movies. If they can use him, they will. It's likely that Revan won't be explicitly featured and will instead be used as a set up.

If Driver's ambition is to bring back the glory days of the Sith, what better way to do that than by modeling himself on the most powerful Sith Lord's of all time??? Revan is one of them.

Visit his tomb, have a chat with his ghost, get turned to the Dark Side, put on his mask.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Just wanted to point out the strong "grave robber" rumour that's been going around about the bad guy for Episode 7. The idea that he would use relics found in Sith Tombs he finds would fit with that narrative, especially if those relics were taken from some of the most powerful Sith Lords that have ever lived (of which Revan is one (and is often shortlisted as the most powerful Sith Lord to have ever existed).

So perhaps we'll see this guy using other equally as iconic artifacts from other Sith Lords as well?

Perhaps the lightsaber he's using isn't Revan's and instead another Sith Lord's? I'd put money on it not being a lightsaber he crafted and is instead one he found. It's "unstable" blade could be down to it being hella old.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by orionblack

Amen, and in all seriousness everyone should be glad of this.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures