Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As a PVP player I no longer see the point in playing Rift anymore .

greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451

I've been playing Rift since its release . The majority of my gameplay revolved around the instanced PVP  War Fronts . I enjoyed ranking up and obtaining the PVP gear as I did . Since the Nightmare tide was released all PVP gear has been unified which sounds ok but I've found upon turning 65 it discriminates against people who have leveled from 60-65 by just doing PVP . Its nearly impossible to get the new unified gear by just doing pvp alone so essentially it forces you to do pve as well and given the ranking system  is nothing more than cosmetic anymore it is only worth doing the daily and weekly war front quest ( where as prior to the Nightmare Tide you played as many WFS as you could to up your rank) . I really don't want to have to do weekly raid rifts or 30 weekly adventures . I don't mind working for the gear that I get in game as long as the game lets me play the way I want to play and doesn't force me to do things I don't enjoy as much in it . For this reason I have decided to give up on rift . 

Does anyone know of another mmo ( besides WoW ) that has decent e-sports ? ( also some good old fashioned world pvp on the top of that would be nice )

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sounds like they did to Rift what Mythic did to DAOC with the TOA expansion, which forced PVP community who were perfectly happy earning their progression through PVP and light PVE activities into a new raiding centric expansion that had to be ground through in order to obtain the best pvp gear and skills.

People including myself left in droves and the game never recovered. (Didn't help they followed it up with a bad PVP expansion, NF, and then finished the community off with their "catacombs" expansion.

I digress, point is, never turns out well trying to force PVP players to PVE or vice versa.

As to good e-sports games, seems most folks are turning to MOBAs for that, but maybe GW2?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

Similar type of instanced pvp can be found in SWTOR, but I'm not sure about open world. I don't think there is much of note there, but I'm not sure.

You could also try GW2 for pvp. ArenaNet has been trying to make it into an esport. Not really much in the way of open world, but you could try their server v server pvp, which is mainly zerg based. However, you can gank and engage in small group pvp from time to time.

Other than that, I'm not sure.

Anyone playing TSW for pvp? I played regularly over a year ago and pvp seemed to be pretty fail in that game at the time, but they had instanced pvp, as well.

• DrukstylzDrukstylz Member Posts: 189

I never played rift, but can you buy the armor from someone who did the quests/dungeon whatever? 

is this dungeontype armor a way to give epicdungeon doods a  chance to compete in pvp with their purepvp bretheren?

if you got this uberarmor you could pvp more guys to death, so maybe get this uberstuff bra. just think of it like spinach, and yourself like popeye. 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I would have to agree that Nightmare added a few things/changed a few things that made me less satisfied with the game right now. Honestly, the game was fine how it was before, but that might just be how I see things. I wont uninstall the game, but honestly I do not have the desire to play anymore after Nightmare Tide.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

As pvp player, when a match in pvp become fair ground end up with the right amount healer, dps and support,  maybe other team lose ground or we do, and next you know it people start leaving!, it is a fair match! why leave, tons of pvp player don't wait fair match, is why I see them complain on the rift forums, saying pvp is dead with no data to back it up, when tons people still pvp just 40% of the pvp base just play for fun then power.

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    I spent maybe a year or so playing endgame Rift PVP, got my gear finally somewhere decent. Then the update came along and it all became utterly useless overnight - my existing PvE gear outclassed it by a mile.
  • kingsmidgenskingsmidgens Member Posts: 8

It sounds like you had the good SL gear (maybe did the grinding along with everyone else) at the end and forgot that it's a 100% gear-based game with literally no skill involved.

Also you can't really buy good gear from players, but they can gift it to you from the RMT shop or you can buy it yourself.  It was about $50 per piece which is absurd, and you can't get (most) of the BIS stuff that way.

By the time you legitimately had the PVP rank to use PVP gear, you'd have enough currency to buy it yourself but if you pay for pvp exp potions and not pvp currency potions (which give you a % increase) you might have to pay for the gear with cash since literally the only reason to rank up is to access the gear.

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by kingsmidgens

It sounds like you had the good SL gear (maybe did the grinding along with everyone else) at the end and forgot that it's a 100% gear-based game with literally no skill involved.

Also you can't really buy good gear from players, but they can gift it to you from the RMT shop or you can buy it yourself.  It was about $50 per piece which is absurd, and you can't get (most) of the BIS stuff that way.

By the time you legitimately had the PVP rank to use PVP gear, you'd have enough currency to buy it yourself but if you pay for pvp exp potions and not pvp currency potions (which give you a % increase) you might have to pay for the gear with cash since literally the only reason to rank up is to access the gear.

Actually I didn't forget it was a hundred percent gear based game because I have been playing mmos for ten years now and every single one of them has been a hundred percent gear based . What I enjoy about doing pvp in these games is being able to do acquire pvp gear through just doing pvp . What I don't like is playing a game where to get decent gear that I can use in pvp matches I am forced to do pve as well ( which I don't enjoy as much ) if I want to stand a chance of getting any decent armor and weapons within the next two years . 

I think you missed my point completely 

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Yeah, pvp in Rift is now casual only really. They started ruining it when they introduced Conquests with no balance or any restrictions, so people could just farm the best gear all night every day with no opposition at all.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I myself also started playing early in 2011 as a PVP player. Ever since Storm Legion came out and the game went Free to Play it has gone downhill fast. I truly feel some bad hires and fires were made by this company. People like Daglar under the direction of the CEO have ruined the game, and this is why Trion is receiving so much bad press.  They took a really good game and just destroyed it from a pvp perspective. I cannot comment on the PVE side since I just did that casually. Poor management is always the cause when the majority of the population and reviews almost always agree this games pvp is just bad. All their games seem to be suffering from some major flaw at the moment. The only game i'm not sure how it's actually doing is Trove so I won't comment on it. Look at there present debacle Archeage if you want proof of a company that is poorly managed. I could go on on with this and that but I will save the reader my rantings. In the end Trion needs a new CEO and new employees with fresh ideas and ultimately some real talent.