Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: A Christmas Nightmare

Comments

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Pretty nice screenshots, might fire up Archeage if those environments come to the West.
  • lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

im having a blast in this game since beta. no idea what troubles you guys have, i dont have them and im happy :)

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

"Cash grab" is a term used where a developer puts out a shitty product, that looks great on the outside, but has no substance.

There's a difference between a solid product being sold, and a shit one. Cash grab is when they want to get all of your money away before you realize just how bad it is. Different than a normal product where you get what you paid for.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    AA will go down in history as the worst launch and worst mis managed MMO. Should be put right up there with Anarchy online and Vanguard.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Well, it seems that Archeage is certainly getting more publicity than almost any other MMO currently running in NA/EU. The content of the publicity is irrelevant really, it's the "mind share" that's important. Quite possibly, all this free publicity has actually increased AA's profitability in the NA/EU market !

Let's face it, "we all know" that EA is the most evil game publisher in the world. It has been known for years. Yet EA remains the biggest and most profitable publisher in the west. Millions of gamers continue to buy their games every day. So much for having a bad reputation....

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Well, it seems that Archeage is certainly getting more publicity than almost any other MMO currently running in NA/EU. The content of the publicity is irrelevant really, it's the "mind share" that's important. Quite possibly, all this free publicity has actually increased AA's profitability in the NA/EU market !

Let's face it, "we all know" that EA is the most evil game publisher in the world. It has been known for years. Yet EA remains the biggest and most profitable publisher in the west. Millions of gamers continue to buy their games every day. So much for having a bad reputation....

Well if it was true then Vanguard and SWG would still be alive and kicking with millions of players.

I doubt this little spurt in popularity due to all the wrong reasons  is going to last long term. Game is still very new in western region.

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289
    The holiday event will be gambling boxes that look like Christmas gifts. You will spend $4 to get an average of $0.25 worth of items. A very small amount of lucky people will be blessed by RNG Santa and win a costume with no stats or a normalized mount. The people who can't drop over $1000 will just have to settle for a candy quest that gives you candies to increase the drop rate of loot from 0.00001% to 0.000011%.
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    I cringe every time I read "cash grab". Every game developer is "grabbing" for your cash. You just give it up easier if you like the game. Doesn't mean they didn't "grab it" any differently though.

Like many arbitrary terms created by the MMO community, "cash grab" is in part a matter of scale.

That said, however, R2Games' business presentation on the matter made by an actual company that's very successful (profit-wise) in the F2P business shows that there are, in fact, calculated business strategies where making cash is heavily prioritized over what's actually good for the quality of the game (as defined by whatever increases "player retention" and "game life span"). Which gives both a decent definition of a cash grab (a company prioritizing profits over what they know is good for the game) as well as showing that companies are very VERY consciously AWARE of what strategies entail more cash grabbing over what's good for the game (and, in many cases, choose to do those strategies anyways.  Cause profits and grabbing cash, yo.  Screw the game itself!)

• MarkJWMarkJW ColumnistMember Posts: 226
    Originally posted by raapnaap

This game has been one giant cash grab that left most people touching it (or falling into it's trap, if you want to look at it that way) with a very bad taste, as well as money lost.

To me, ArcheAge acts as a reminder why I should never again play Asian garbage MMO's, never again touch a Trion product, and never again to pay a penny for beta or currency in betas, or just never touch F2P garbage ever again.

Thanks for the costly reminder Trion. Unfortunately for every other, more honest, company out there, issues like ArcheAge only act to drive player and developer further apart, as that trust barrier just keeps getting hammered.

At least Trion and ArcheAge deserves some awards by default this year: Worst MMO launch in 2014, Biggest cash grab and scam in 2014, and not the least of all, Company to lose most reputation value in 2014. Congratulations.

Asian garbage MMO? Come on now, let's not let this thread slide slowly into racism. Games made in Eastern countries are made with certain Eastern sensibilities and priorities in mind. Your dislike of MMOs produced in Asia does not cause them to suddenly be garbage. Actual bad design and bad support makes them garbage. ArcheAge was a great game prior to the 1.0 and 1.2 patches.

Originally posted by Sydh
    I like how with all of the Trion hate everyone seems to forget all of the good they did with Rift. Now the management team working on the Archeage project is pretty horrible for sure.

I think the people on the ArcheAge team at Trion are a really smart and nice bunch. Unfortunately, it seems they were saddled with a prolonged translation period and lack of developer support in 2013, forcing them to push the game back to the tail end of this year. It could have been out sooner and it could have been a subscription-based game. :(

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    If they only made it a sub game..without shop..this game would be just fine..why they dont think about doing so..is just wierd.

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    I cringe every time I read "cash grab". Every game developer is "grabbing" for your cash. You just give it up easier if you like the game. Doesn't mean they didn't "grab it" any differently though.

Like many arbitrary terms created by the MMO community, "cash grab" is in part a matter of scale.

That said, however, R2Games' business presentation on the matter made by an actual company that's very successful (profit-wise) in the F2P business shows that there are, in fact, calculated business strategies where making cash is heavily prioritized over what's actually good for the quality of the game (as defined by whatever increases "player retention" and "game life span"). Which gives both a decent definition of a cash grab (a company prioritizing profits over what they know is good for the game) as well as showing that companies are very VERY consciously AWARE of what strategies entail more cash grabbing over what's good for the game (and, in many cases, choose to do those strategies anyways.  Cause profits and grabbing cash, yo.  Screw the game itself!)

It never ceases to amaze me how many folks ignore your responses here like ostriches with their heads in the ground.  I've seen you post this (with link) multiple times in applicable threads.  I've read the link.  And I've seen many folks arguing the pros and cons of F2P games completely ignore it because, well..  They can't be assed to articulate a proper response?  I don't know.  However, what's being said in that articles makes so much sense and shows why such hastily drawn and released (or even "sold" prior to release) F2P MMOs naturally conflict with providing a long-term and quality experience, thereby relegating development time and resource efficiency to a position secondary to "what's going to open the players wallets the fastest, before they even make an educated (i.e. extensive hands-on experience) decision about the quality of the game?"

It's such a dangerous trend for the gamer, though I feel reassured that eventually the method will implode upon itself and shift the paradigm back away from such trends.  However, the sheer amount of wasted time, resources, and energy between now and then is a damn shame.  It's like forcing almost all the special effects folks outta the industry because creating a 2-minute light show during the trailer is enough to fill seats at the theater.  The end product means very little, as they've started pre-selling tickets months in advance.  In the end, such a misguided, future-be-damned situation is only going to stall the creatively positive progression of the industry (creating stagnation).  Incidentally, the movie industry is but a step away from that very thing, and is the reason why 50% (note: not a mathematically calculated number) of blockbuster releases have become sequels and reboots (particularly of comic book icons).

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    AA will go down in history as the worst launch and worst mis managed MMO. Should be put right up there with Anarchy online and Vanguard.

+1

• AeroDruid13AeroDruid13 Member Posts: 5
    Although Trion and this game has its flaws other F2P publishers come to mind that have crappier customer service and crappier games, namely the PWI franchise amongst other asian publishers.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by MarkJW
    I like how with all of the Trion hate everyone seems to forget all of the good they did with Rift. Now the management team working on the Archeage project is pretty horrible for sure.

I think the people on the ArcheAge team at Trion are a really smart and nice bunch. Unfortunately, it seems they were saddled with a prolonged translation period and lack of developer support in 2013, forcing them to push the game back to the tail end of this year. It could have been out sooner and it could have been a subscription-based game. :(

Really?  They seem utterly incompetent and idiotic to me.

Originally posted by grimal

I've met them in person and verified they are competent and sane people.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by grimal

I've met them in person and verified they are competent and sane people.

I'm curious to hear in which way you verified this.

Cause nothing we have seen with the way AA was handled suggests that there was any competence involved.

Harbinger of Fools
  • nebb1234nebb1234 Member Posts: 242
    yeaaaaaa if a pic of the CEO was up with some junk is his face for hours.... that is a horrible sign imo
  • RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298

I am probably the last person to wear a White Knight armor and defend this game or Trion but, every time there's an article about it, there's always negativity in both the article itself and the comments. And at times some of these folks haven't even played AA.

We all agree people, the game is really poorly manged so just uninstall and move on. I know i did.

I'm already fed up of this trend of complaints and drama shows over the Archage disasater. 

How much longer must i see news about it?

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Do you honestly think Archeage is benefiting from this negative publicity?  Do you think people are saying, "Wow, this game is getting craptastic reviews.  I've got to try it out for myself!"  

That's not how gamers think.  EA does a crap ton of sales every year because they have a large amount of established franchise games that they publish.  Name recognition.  Archeage doesn't have that going for them.  

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    I stopped playing even though I have about a month and a half left of paid playing time. The game has become too grindy and for too restrictive to be of an future fun for me.

Let's party like it is 1863!

Stop viewing threads about it.
    Originally posted by Radoo

I am probably the last person to wear a White Knight armor and defend this game or Trion but, every time there's an article about it, there's always negativity in both the article itself and the comments. And at times some of these folks haven't even played AA.

We all agree people, the game is really poorly manged so just uninstall and move on. I know i did.

I'm already fed up of this trend of complaints and drama shows over the Archage disasater. 

My above post was meant to include this quote.

I guess until I stop writing about it. These things are the top stories for the game, otherwise I'd be writing fluff pieces about random NPCs in dungeons and reviewing costume sets or something. :X

• EruielEruiel Member UncommonPosts: 75

I guess until I stop writing about it. These things are the top stories for the game, otherwise I'd be writing fluff pieces about random NPCs in dungeons and reviewing costume sets or something. :X

There is nothing wrong with writing about the truth though, be it negative or otherwise, it's not the community's or anyone else's fault that the AA blunders just keep coming...I stopped playing AA now but I still read about it, even if it's just to see if there has been any improvement, now what's strange is someone who doesn't want to see the criticism still going out of their way to read about them.