Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Nexon, Tencent, Most-Played PC Games

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Unless you've been hiding from the world, it should be clear that for the past few years now, the major Asian game publishers have outstripped their western counterparts in terms of increasing annual revenue. The recent weeks have brought interesting information on two of them, Nexon and Tencent. In addition, some new market data came out last month about the most-played PC games in North America and Europe.

Read more of Richard Aihoshi's The Free Zone: Nexon, Tencent, Most-Played PC Games.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

The new business model. Buy most of the shares in a company that's already released, convert it if it's got no sub into a currency conversion machine tied directly to real currency, tie that directly to real money requirements to play and voila. 

Oh and don't forget to place well placed employees who spend all day and night watching the main forums of these games to act like everyone posting concerns over the creeping in of the eastern billing model into the west are conspiracy theorists so that the apologists will continue to spend spend spend. That's what happend with most of those on that list.

• MarkJWMarkJW ColumnistMember Posts: 226
    • Can Tencent grow its revenue fast enough to surpass EA and Activision combined?
    Sure. Heck, it could buy either company outright if it wanted to.
    • What do you think Tencent is planning for North America and Europe? How long will it be content to continue having only a limited presence in these regions?
    Tencent has investments in many NA and EU based companies. My favorite Tencent puppet company is HiRez Entertainment, which dropped support for Tribes: Ascend after Tencent saw what they were doing with SMITE.

I think Tencent will continue to passively invest in studios outside of China as it tests the waters and tries to figure out what game enthusiasts will pay for in other parts of the world.
    • What will it take for a western game publisher to become the world's largest? How likely is this?
    Western publishers would have to go after the Chinese, South Korean and Japanese mobile and online PC gaming markets in order to regain their top positions. It's unlikely that either EA or Activision will do this. They'll probably just keep making sub-par free versions of their existing games (FIFA World, Battlefield Play4Free, FEAR Online, etc.) and wonder why late-to-the-party efforts like Dawngate fail.
    • How accurate do you think Newzoo's list of most-played PC games is? Why doesn't it include more MMORPGs?
    I'm surprised ArcheAge is listed, since Overwolf doesn't work well with the game at all. Also, who doesn't use two monitors? Just put TeamSpeak on one and the game on the other, problem solved. No third-party tracking overlay needed.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    First of all, Western publishers will never be likely to become as profitable as someone like tencent because the Chinese government will, likely, restrict their ability to do so. They would never endanger a local success in favour of a Western publisher. Although, since consoles are now available over there, it'll be interesting to see how this all goes down. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Asian games don't do that well in the west, at least so far.  They are designed for game play that the asian market wants.

You have to realize that eastern markets are at least 5 times or more greater in size than the west too.

As to overwolf, not used by the majority of gamers and probably less so by MMO players, so any statistics from them is useless beyond getting a general trend.

• CalexCalex Member UncommonPosts: 99
    They can keep their shit games and pay models over there.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Chinese publishers are providing games for a relatively homogenous cultural and linguistic group, which just happens to be 4 times larger than the USA and 3 times larger than all of europe. If a Chinese publisher was NOT the biggest by revenue, it would be a very sad reflection on their abilities.

Western publishers cannot operate freely in the Chinese market, so it's unlikely that they could become world leaders, even if they could overcome the cultural differences. The same is not true of Chinese companies when it comes to operating restrictions, so they have a built-in advantage.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by Calex
    They can keep their shit games and pay models over there.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."  - Henry Ford

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Not that Cryptic had alot of great games. But just look at what PWE did to that company. They should just stay out of the western market. Their f2p model is just bad for the players here. We play our games at home where in Asia they play in cafes. Thats why their games are cash shop p2w games. They play by time over there while we play relaxed at home.
  • CorlurkCorlurk Member UncommonPosts: 6
    An aggressive foray into NA,EU and KO markets that Tencent is going to make with their newest and best mmo,Moonlight Blade online.Really deserve us keep an eye on that game.
  • Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    First of all, Western publishers will never be likely to become as profitable as someone like tencent because the Chinese government will, likely, restrict their ability to do so. They would never endanger a local success in favour of a Western publisher. Although, since consoles are now available over there, it'll be interesting to see how this all goes down. 

Yep.  Not forgetting that China has a hell of a lot more people.  I read somewhere that Xbox and PS4 are being released by the same company, which is odd.  

I would like to see some numbers as to profitability per capita of target audience.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    • Can Tencent grow its revenue fast enough to surpass EA and Activision combined?
    Possibly.
    • What do you think Tencent is planning for North America and Europe? How long will it be content to continue having only a limited presence in these regions?
    Buy into Western companies, make another game based upon Journey to the West.  Indefinitely.
    • What will it take for a western game publisher to become the world's largest? How likely is this?
    Again it will all depend on a western publisher's version of Journey to the West.  Not much I think.  Every big western company has sent a team to China.
    • How accurate do you think Newzoo's list of most-played PC games is? Why doesn't it include more MMORPGs?
    It's a sample poll.  Those who use and understand polls realize there is a margin of error.  Accurate enough.  I believe that most MMORPG players don't use these tracking programs, because they take resources away from the MMOs.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Asian games don't do that well in the west, at least so far.  They are designed for game play that the asian market wants.

You have to realize that eastern markets are at least 5 times or more greater in size than the west too.

As to overwolf, not used by the majority of gamers and probably less so by MMO players, so any statistics from them is useless beyond getting a general trend.

That isn't entirely true, The Final fantasy games are very popular here and they aren't the only ones. And Archeage have at least done some impact lately as well.

Chinese games though seems to underperform pretty badly here, maybe we just don't like the same game or maybe Japanese players are closer to us then Chinese.

That the Eastern market is larger is no surprise, there is far more people in Asia then in North American and Europe. PC were far more common here once but not anymore.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

What?  Are we ignoring the:

*ESTIMATED*

Or that only 6 of the "top played games" can actually prove their numbers with tracking/stats unlike LoL/Blizzard's:

4433534905834590348590345834905348540958 people play, proof?  Hah, good luck with that!

statistics...?

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Originally posted by Corlurk
    An aggressive foray into NA,EU and KO markets that Tencent is going to make with their newest and best mmo,Moonlight Blade online.Really deserve us keep an eye on that game.

Holy mother of whorebiscuit. Moonlight Blade looks great. I wonder why there is so little press on that one.

• LeGrosGamerV2LeGrosGamerV2 Member Posts: 90
    At the end of the day, who cares?  Asians apparently have different tastes in games than N/S America and Europe.   So, Nexon summed up 3 billion something, remind me again how many games they got in service?  Compared to let's say, SE and Blizzard?   Ummm?   Yeah that's what I thought.   Share holders are happy for Nexon, more dough in their pockets, but don't come writing that most people that play MMO's like Nexon,  Asia has more than half the planet's population and if Asians love putting their money on cash shops, that's their thing.     I only remember Nexon with the first MMO I've ever played in the mid 90's and that's Nexus : The Kingdom of the winds,  Dark Ages and Shattered Galaxy.   Too bad they abandoned the titles, because Shattered Galaxy could have been something bigger than the whole console world put together.  Shattered Galaxy would have made Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, EVE Online, Novus Aeterno look like garbage.   Ahhh the good ol' "What Ifs" of the MMO industry, it makes you wonder, huh?