Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What online card games do you play?

reigar32reigar32 Member Posts: 5

For me at least, sometimes it is nice to relax and play cards. In the age of internet, this means that one is not relegated to physical cards any further. After deciding that the physical game of MTG was a money sink (not say it was not fun per se), I decided to look online at various collectable card games, and the like. So far, I have tried Hearthstone, Prismata (I really like Prismata), and MTGO. I know there are sure to exist other CCG and MTG esk style games, and curious what others play when they get that card playing ich.

Link to Hearthstone

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/?utm_expid=68589644-24.yOgsCsWhSz-gOSDIbl82Wg.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Link to Prismata’s demo,

http://www.kongregate.com/games/LunarchStudios/prismata-demo?acomplete=prisma

Link to Magic The Gathering Online

http://magic.wizards.com/en/magic-online

Comments

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    I enjoy Hearthstone quite a bit. Game is quick and fun. I played some mtgo for a while but draft tourneys take too damn long... "ain't nobody got time for that".

You might want to check out HEX. It's a MTG clone. Supposed to be cheaper. They're also developing a pve dungeon mode which they have not announced any kind of release date on. The game is open beta atm so go chexk it out.

Sorry for no link, I'm on my phone.

• reigar32reigar32 Member Posts: 5
  • EleeriEleeri Member UncommonPosts: 18

I can recommend Hex and MTGO. Hearhtstone is to shallow and luck based to be enjoyable. Maybe as a first card game ever before you move to 'greener pastures' where you must use your brain. 

I also can recomend:

Infinity Wars (animated Card Art, simultaneous turns, 'deception, bluff and mind tricks game mechanic'), probably the deepest and most intelectually engaging card game i played in my life. Very 'fresh' game, nice experience even for TCG veterans:

LINK - https://www.infinitywarsgame.com/#!/

YT TRAILER - 

Duel Of Champions (decent but lack of player trade make it pain on enjoyable level to play without heavy money investment)

LINK - https://www.duelofchampions.com/pl/

The Random Number Generator (RNG) is why sometimes I have a hard time with these games. Prismata seems to move away from RNG, but it is still really new (compared to others).  Still. I am looking forward checking out the links. Thank you my friend. 
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

There's so many anymore...

I play:

MtGO

Pokemon Online

Hearthstone

Ascension (really good)

Star Realms (really fun)

Hex

Those are the major ones I have installed right now.

For others that may track this thread

Pokemon Online

http://pokemon-online.eu/

Ascension (really good) * not sure if there is an online play for this?

http://ascensiongame.com/

Star Realms (really fun)

http://www.starrealms.com/

• MTG

Scrolls

Heartstone

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

Might and Magic Duel of Champions is a really good F2P card game... There are lots of interesting strategies as you grow in rank. To get more cards from the get go, make sure you get a referral code (but as said, you can't trade). There are tons of opponents playing unranked.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

I don't like too heavy cheese mechanics. My fav card game of all time was the original Magic before the many expansions.

I'm trying to find a similar experience online but I think designing games around obliterating your opponent in 2 rounds is what makes the most money right now as Hearthstone has proved.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Deathenger
    I enjoy Hearthstone quite a bit. Game is quick and fun. I played some mtgo for a while but draft tourneys take too damn long... "ain't nobody got time for that".

You might want to check out HEX. It's a MTG clone. Supposed to be cheaper. They're also developing a pve dungeon mode which they have not announced any kind of release date on. The game is open beta atm so go chexk it out.

Sorry for no link, I'm on my phone.

That sounds so cool a dungeon giving the game a better overall feel.I love the card game genre,sadly i enjoyed the SOE version but it is dead.The problem with this genre until HS came along is the same terminology i was about to use...HUGE money sinks.It really gives you a sick feeling in the stomach spending tons of money then have like SOE shut the game down.

NOBODY and i mean nobody will remain successful if they are down right greedy.I don't really like anything Blizzard does but they did HS right in delivering a reasonable cost to the players.Sure in the long run a game like this takes less manpower,less cost less effort and will run the average user more than a regular sub fee but not so much that it feels painful.

I would say the average MTG player was spending prolly 100-500 a MONTH ! and that is insane.I remember long ago people spending 1500 a month in Runes of magic,that has to hurt bad when you leave the game.

I just love the card game too much to leave it alone ,but HS has lots of players and is decent enough to keep me mildly interested although i have only played maybe 50 games since Beta.

I guess i really should check some of these other games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by askdaboss

Might and Magic Duel of Champions is a really good F2P card game... There are lots of interesting strategies as you grow in rank. To get more cards from the get go, make sure you get a referral code (but as said, you can't trade). There are tons of opponents playing unranked.

Looks like a really good game but my brain can't handle learning a bunch of new ideas right now lol.I do like how they give the game a bit more depth with life as well as retaliation and attack and a Hero power to aid the minions,well the ability to cast them.The game also seems a bit like MTG in the expense area so not so sure on that.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by Deathenger I enjoy Hearthstone quite a bit. Game is quick and fun. I played some mtgo for a while but draft tourneys take too damn long... "ain't nobody got time for that". You might want to check out HEX. It's a MTG clone. Supposed to be cheaper. They're also developing a pve dungeon mode which they have not announced any kind of release date on. The game is open beta atm so go chexk it out. Sorry for no link, I'm on my phone.
    That sounds so cool a dungeon giving the game a better overall feel.I love the card game genre,sadly i enjoyed the SOE version but it is dead.The problem with this genre until HS came along is the same terminology i was about to use...HUGE money sinks.It really gives you a sick feeling in the stomach spending tons of money then have like SOE shut the game down.

NOBODY and i mean nobody will remain successful if they are down right greedy.I don't really like anything Blizzard does but they did HS right in delivering a reasonable cost to the players.Sure in the long run a game like this takes less manpower,less cost less effort and will run the average user more than a regular sub fee but not so much that it feels painful.

I would say the average MTG player was spending prolly 100-500 a MONTH ! and that is insane.I remember long ago people spending 1500 a month in Runes of magic,that has to hurt bad when you leave the game.

I just love the card game too much to leave it alone ,but HS has lots of players and is decent enough to keep me mildly interested although i have only played maybe 50 games since Beta.

I guess i really should check some of these other games.

If you didn't try Scrolls before, try it. It's a game from Minecraft's creators. They will release the android version on december 11 too. And this means there will be a huge population incrase. That's a very quality "b2p" game. There is nothing p2w about it. http://scrolls.com/

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by askdaboss

Looks like a really good game but my brain can't handle learning a bunch of new ideas right now lol.I do like how they give the game a bit more depth with life as well as retaliation and attack and a Hero power to aid the minions,well the ability to cast them.The game also seems a bit like MTG in the expense area so not so sure on that.

Combat/battlefield depth is the big plus of this MMDoC indeed.

The big differences with MTG is that there are no instant spell you can play during opponent's turn, and that you can only play your faction creatures cards in your deck.

Money wise, again it's F2P. So if you decide religiously to not spend a penny, nothing in the game will ever force you to and there is no P2W wall. I would advise finishing the PvE campaign though, as you get a lot of IG money this way. There are ways to get specific cards without opening random packs, so if you're unlucky you can actually get your rare cards anyway by just playing.

I'd say it certainly is worth a try for free.

Forgive my writing as suffer from dyslexia, and tend to have odd writing issues. 

Lol I blink, and the thread goes crazy. HS is good, but the RNG issue gets to me. A selling point with physical games CCG, I can trade to build a deck of my choosing.  Prismata is doing a really odd direction where you and the other player have access to the exact same games (the random part is what cards you and the play will work with). Still, Prismata is new and not sure on its survival per se. Some of the others ones seem to allow trading (which is really neat and has my attention). I have many new games to try.  Thank you everyone as I am enjoying see what everyone thoughts on the various games listed are.