Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Damn the combat

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet

"You out of all people should also realize this since you play BLM. Each skill you do you must commit to, since you need to be immobile for the time of the casting. If you can't weave in enough actions in-between having to move your DPS will plummet; thus you need to know when to cast spells and when not to, and this decision has far more weight in FFXIV."

There is no decision though.  Find a safe spot and cast fire 1 until it procs, then cast fire 3.  That's basically the bulk of what I do.

It's literally basically pressing one button every couple of seconds.  The same freaking button.

Totally not dependent on anything anyone else does and the only way the mobs factor in is if I can find a safe spot or not.

I'm thinking a melee might be more interesting because at least you have to weave in and out of being near the mob, but besides that I'm thinking not so much really.

Maybe actually a healer would be the best because you have to actually react depending on what your team does.

What you describe might be cool if there were really small windows where I could cast, but it's not like that.  I get plenty of time and it's usually extremely obvious if an attack is coming to range.

Maybe in the hardest fights it's like that but I just don't have the patience to wait that long.

I'm currently leveling up a reaper in TERA.  Everything about the game is worse except for the combat, which is like lightyears better.

I actually think you pinpointed my problem with the combat system.  It's not really the speed, although the speed makes it more apparent.  It's more about the fact that there's no decisions to be made.

I would actually prefer turn-based FF-solo style gameplay, where you had to choose the right actions and spells at the right times, even though it was as slow as you wanted it to be.

That has been the same thing in most mmos with ranged classes. Ranged classes have it easy since most aoes have a small range and you are out of the range or only need to move a tiny bit.

I played melee myself (DPS and Tank) and I can tell you, as melee you have to be prepared all the time and not lose focus on what's happening around you. Even tanking specially as warrior the one I tanked with it's very stressful sometimes.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

"You out of all people should also realize this since you play BLM. Each skill you do you must commit to, since you need to be immobile for the time of the casting. If you can't weave in enough actions in-between having to move your DPS will plummet; thus you need to know when to cast spells and when not to, and this decision has far more weight in FFXIV."

There is no decision though.  Find a safe spot and cast fire 1 until it procs, then cast fire 3.  That's basically the bulk of what I do.

It's literally basically pressing one button every couple of seconds.  The same freaking button.

Totally not dependent on anything anyone else does and the only way the mobs factor in is if I can find a safe spot or not.

I'm thinking a melee might be more interesting because at least you have to weave in and out of being near the mob, but besides that I'm thinking not so much really.

Maybe actually a healer would be the best because you have to actually react depending on what your team does.

What you describe might be cool if there were really small windows where I could cast, but it's not like that.  I get plenty of time and it's usually extremely obvious if an attack is coming to range.

Maybe in the hardest fights it's like that but I just don't have the patience to wait that long.

I'm currently leveling up a reaper in TERA.  Everything about the game is worse except for the combat, which is like lightyears better.

I actually think you pinpointed my problem with the combat system.  It's not really the speed, although the speed makes it more apparent.  It's more about the fact that there's no decisions to be made.

I would actually prefer turn-based FF-solo style gameplay, where you had to choose the right actions and spells at the right times, even though it was as slow as you wanted it to be.

Well you just told all of us that, while the game offers great gameplay with a lot of decision making involved you choose to not take part in it because... you don't have the patience to wait that long? Whatever that means.

In other words you don't do the encounters that force you to make decisions with weight in them, yet you then turn around and say the combat is bad because there are no decisions to be made nor any weight to the actions.

It's like sticking to the overworld critters in solo FFs where you don't need to choose the right actions and spells at the right times because the mobs are so weak, then complaining that the game doesn't make you choose the right actions and spells at the right times.

Damn the combat? The fun is right there and you choose to ignore it. Enough said.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

I recently tried the game again and found it to be really amazing except for one thing- the combat!  People have talked about it before but it's just too slow to be any fun.

I leveled up to 50 and started the progression and even with the harder battles it's still pretty simplistic.

I'm getting a vibe from your post that simple = boring, while complex = fun. While the fact is neither simple nor boring in their own right make for a fun or boring game. It's what you do with the simplicity or complexity that matters. Many of the best games in the world are rather simple in their mechanics, while many of the worst games in the world have created unnecessary complexity where it doesn't belong.

The MMORPG community has been conditioned to favor complexity and speed. Anything new or abnormal is going to be met with a backlash, because it requires people to actually adapt to something they're not used to.

If the amount of button presses per minute is the primary indication of whether a combat system is fun or boring, it tells more about the player than the game.

It's not the amount of button presses- it's about having to act and react and thus get immersed in the combat.

Tab target is pretty bland to begin with but with the long cooldowns it's like molasses speed.  The only thing to watch out for is glowing stuff on the ground and besides that it's just going through the same simple rotations over and over.

At least when I was playing FFXIV back in the day as a rdm, the rotations were complex and there were skillchains to time right.

As for the synergy thing, BLM has like no synergy with anyone.  In FFXI, BLM burst on skillchains was super important.  I'm not even dependent on others for mana with the stance switching mechanic.

I loved the combo system in FF XI where you needed different classes, chaining of specific spells from each other. It was so refreshing to have an MMO system with complex, combo system which required a great deal of cooperation to get right.

Sad to hear that FF XIV did not implement it, very sad indeed. I guess the dumbification of MMOs continues...

• FourplayFourplay Member UncommonPosts: 216
    Originally posted by Fourplay
    Other than endgame most battles can be face rolled with little to no attention to what is happening. For a Final Fantasy that is not right.

That is Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XIII, XIII-2, LR:FFXIII in a nutshell.

You have just hit the essence of what it means to play a Final Fantasy game.

You have done well, even if unintentionally so.

Lol whatever dude. There are NM in most Final Fantasies that will pop your skull open. And with a menu based system there is no way to not pay attention unless use macros or bot. This cooldown combat that mmos have become famous for is the most stale, uninspiring, button mashing, tab targeting, mish mash. 

You must be thinking about Dragon Age 2 or Skyrim or something. Final Fantasies have thoughtful, complex battle systems.

Final Fantasies have thoughtful, complex battle systems.

Who am I to ruin someone's reality and go against the spirit of Christmas?

Yes, Fourplay, that is absolutely right. Good job :)

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Other than endgame most battles can be face rolled with little to no attention to what is happening. For a Final Fantasy that is not right.

That is Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XIII, XIII-2, LR:FFXIII in a nutshell.

Lol whatever dude. There are NM in most Final Fantasies that will pop your skull open. And with a menu based system there is no way to not pay attention unless use macros or bot. This cooldown combat that mmos have become famous for is the most stale, uninspiring, button mashing, tab targeting, mish mash. 

You must be thinking about Dragon Age 2 or Skyrim or something. Final Fantasies have thoughtful, complex battle systems.

I love the combat in DA2 and Skyrim, but I also agree that the combat in FF14ARR is nowhere near as good as in the older single-player FF (and similar games) I have played. The combat in Skyrim may not be as tactical/deep as in older FF games, but it is fun, whereas the combat in FF14ARR lacks both depth and excitement.

Originally posted by YashaX

I love the combat in DA2 and Skyrim, but I also agree that the combat in FF14ARR is nowhere near as good as in the older single-player FF (and similar games) I have played. The combat in Skyrim may not be as tactical/deep as in older FF games, but it is fun, whereas the combat in FF14ARR lacks both depth and excitement.

It wouldn't be a Final Fantasy topic if there was any logic or reasoning involved after all.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Are...

You joking?

I find the combat to fast? HOW CAN ANYONE SAY IT'S SLOW? There's almost no CD on anything, you just spam skills, rarely ever get an Auto-Attack off, and there's so much going on on the screen you can barely see!

I was used to FFXI / RuneScape, and I find the combat too fast paced and I actually want it slowed down so we can ENJOY our armor, our weapons, and our skills, not just a Michael Bay MMORPG.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354
    BLM is too simple, play NIN or MNK at level 50. 
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788

You people must be joking right?  You gotta be!!!!!  If serious definitely laughable.  LOL

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I disagree that combat is simplistic in the tougher battles ,it is of fact anything but,SEVERAL runs were needed to figure them out.However on a whole combat is weak and the reason i lost interest.Well i also don't want to play another WOW game grinding gear progressions,that is a dumb reason to play any game.

Needing several runs to figure out a boss doesn't mean the combat is complex. It means they have decent boss mechanics. Though it does say something that today needing to do a boss fight more than once somehow means its difficult.

FACT is that a simple pug would most likely LOSE the fight if not using overpowered geared players,example the ORIGINAL groups that ran the content.I would bet 90% of the completed groups were using internet and others knowledge,they did not figure it out for themselves.

Personally i can't stand combat based on your gear and the way Square made a really bad gear system allowed them to control all of combat  and turn it into a WOW type gear progression.Get this gear to fight this boss then advance to the next tier to fight that Boss,it is well i'll get miffed if i even think about it anymore.

A GOOD design is to give each class LOTS of abilities and spells and player>player tp moves like FFXI did,it creates team work/cohesion and thinking.I don't want to have to think ok in 25 seconds i will have to avoid something or have to kill lava spikes or whatever,i like at least some plausible realism,change it up so it is not about "figuring it out" then it is predictable.

However before we knock Square ALL the developers are designing their Boss fights the same or WORSE and their class designs are every bit as lacking as FFXIV's.

btw spamming hotbar icons is also really bad,however it takes forever to even get a decent amount of choice in FFXIV,they really dumbed down the entire class/combat system.

FFXI  "vanilla" you had to run your group efficiently and with smarts or you would run into trouble with healers grabbing hate or using up all their mana.Games now a days ALL of them are about SOLO designs and spamming potions and hotbar icons,game design has got real shallow thanks to imo Blizzard who does nothing but make  single player mmo's.

Grouping now aside from a healer is about SOLOING inside your group and even heals are EASY mode ok to AOE in FFXIV,in FFXI a healer would grab hate if not using it at the right time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by TalulaRose
    Obvious troll post.

To me, I cannot understand how people can think combat in this game is good or interesting. It seems ridiculous to me, but I accept that some people like it. Compared to a game like Tera the combat is just a yawnfest and the mob/boss mechanics are so weak in comparison. It also seems really bad compared to the actual single-player FF games, where I really enjoyed the combat and strategy behind it.

I guess people are just conditioned by games like WoW to accept mediocre combat and boss fights. I have played so many other games that the combat in FF14ARR just sticks out as plain sucky, although other aspects of the game seem quite amazing. Since combat is what I generally spend a lot of time doing in these games it has to be quite a bit better than boring me out of my brain to avoid disappointment.

But it is what it is I guess.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Obvious troll post.

To me, I cannot understand how people can think combat in this game is good or interesting. It seems ridiculous to me, but I accept that some people like it. Compared to a game like Tera the combat is just a yawnfest and the mob/boss mechanics are so weak in comparison. It also seems really bad compared to the actual single-player FF games, where I really enjoyed the combat and strategy behind it.

I guess people are just conditioned by games like WoW to accept mediocre combat and boss fights. I have played so many other games that the combat in FF14ARR just sticks out as plain sucky, although other aspects of the game seem quite amazing. Since combat is what I generally spend a lot of time doing in these games it has to be quite a bit better than boring me out of my brain to avoid disappointment.

What?  People have different taste?  Go figure.  [mod edit]

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by aesperus

Yep, the combat in FFXIV is undoubtedly it's weakest quality (pvp included). Inspite of that I still had fun w/ the game for a while, but the OP is right. It's too simple.

It's not just about not having the renkai system from FFXI. (Which I loved btw, but it didn't work. Because people became too lazy to deal w/ it and just started doing TP burn groups instead).

But also the actual mechanics of the combat are incredibly simplistic. You don't really have to worry much about resistances, because the abilities are too simplified for that to work. Instead you have very vanilla 'buff X' type of damage modifiers, and defense modifiers. In fact the only real class synergy involves using these buffs (i.e. dragons buff pierc, which also buffs bard damage). But they are pretty much irrelevant outside of coil. Even then, you really only see such synergy w/ drg and ninja. And yet one of those aren't frequently chosen, because it's too difficult for most people to play them properly (drg).

This.

Ifrit, Lord of Inferno, EAT MY FIRE!

Obvious troll post.

TERA ishalf-assed acton combat.  And it's a snorefest for a totally different reason, it's incredibly easy.  The idea of TERAs endgame bosses is something big and gross with 3 mechanics...riveting.

1) TERA combat is indeed light years ahead, if still not quite what I would want.  The problem is you can stand there and let a mob wail on you for (i timed it) 2 minutes (and I was playing a ranged DPS class) and still come back.  

2) Right there with you.  The answer is apparent, if you happen to miss a key, well that's different.  Rotations are set in stone for every class, with VERY little room for anything different.  They're made this way by design, to make it easier to learn, but ultimately are boring.

Originally posted by Kajidourden
    Obvious troll post.

TERA ishalf-assed acton combat.  And it's a snorefest for a totally different reason, it's incredibly easy.  The idea of TERAs endgame bosses is something big and gross with 3 mechanics...riveting.

I haven't played Tera for a long time, but at launch the BAMs and bosses would pretty much one shot you.

The boss fights were some of the most amazing moments I have had in any game, the first few times into any dungeon had me actually scared with the huge and terrifying looking bosses animated so well I could really feel the weight and devastation of their moves and attacks. I still haven't played an mmo that has done that aspect of a game so well.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I recently tried the game again and found it to be really amazing except for one thing- the combat!  People have talked about it before but it's just too slow to be any fun.

I leveled up to 50 and started the progression and even with the harder battles it's still pretty simplistic.

It's a terrible shame too because the rest of the game is without a doubt the best themepark I've ever played- graphics, story, things to do etc.- all of it beyond top notch.

Now part of it may be because I was a blm, but still I can't see it being much better on another class.

I recently tried the free trial again, and i must agree on the combat.... it almost feels like the orriginal FF7, so static...

I am finally realizing how much combat has grown ever since the orriginal EQ...   Combat in games like GW2 and ESO is probably more my take, it feels much more interactive then this old stand still and hit your sword type of combat

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Spankster77

The two biggest issues I had with FFXIV was the combat feeling super slow and the whole game being so instanced.  I imagine they had to do the latter because of the game being released on console but the instanced zones kill immersion for me.

As far as the slow combat goes I think the major issue is that there is like a 2.5 second global cooldown during which you find yourself looking for something to do. 

Wait, how are all the zones instanced? Last time I played they were all pretty much persistent and NOT instanced.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Spankster77

The two biggest issues I had with FFXIV was the combat feeling super slow and the whole game being so instanced.  I imagine they had to do the latter because of the game being released on console but the instanced zones kill immersion for me.

As far as the slow combat goes I think the major issue is that there is like a 2.5 second global cooldown during which you find yourself looking for something to do. 

Wait, how are all the zones instanced? Last time I played they were all pretty much persistent and NOT instanced.

I think he means the world (and even towns) are broken into parts or zones so that it is not one big open world, and you have to load between zones. It is extremely segmented in this way, and I actually found it very difficult to navigate, especially in the cities, because of that. In some cases even a single building in a city is split into different zones/areas that need to be loaded.

• KorzeamKorzeam Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

It's a terrible shame too because the rest of the game is without a doubt the best themepark I've ever played- graphics, story, things to do etc.- all of it beyond top notch.

Now part of it may be because I was a blm, but still I can't see it being much better on another class.

I recently tried the free trial again, and i must agree on the combat.... it almost feels like the orriginal FF7, so static...

I am finally realizing how much combat has grown ever since the orriginal EQ...   Combat in games like GW2 and ESO is probably more my take, it feels much more interactive then this old stand still and hit your sword type of combat

If you think the combat is static, it's because you probably not reached lvl 50.

The combat is 10 times less static than Wow for example.

But it's true that at low levels (<30) the combat is too slow and you don't have enough skills.

• SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I think the combat is very fast actually and I don't like it that it's that fast. I played FFXI for 10 years and the combat in FFXI was way slower giving you time to use skills and coordinate with your party members instead of click click click click click spamming of this fast combat. OP and all the others that agree that the combat is slow apparently never played FFXI or any game that requires skill and not spamming.
  • ChipOreoChipOreo Member UncommonPosts: 22

The combat is going to feel slow at lower levels because you only have 2-3 skills, some classes only have 1. At level 20-30 is when you start feeling the combat flow better because you'll gain access to more skills, then when you hit lv50, depending on the class you're playing; you won't feel the GCD much if even at all.

If you really like every aspect of the game but the combat, just stick with it until lv30. If you still don't like it, then unfortunately the game isn't for you.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by ChipOreo

The combat is going to feel slow at lower levels because you only have 2-3 skills, some classes only have 1. At level 20-30 is when you start feeling the combat flow better because you'll gain access to more skills, then when you hit lv50, depending on the class you're playing; you won't feel the GCD much if even at all.

If you really like every aspect of the game but the combat, just stick with it until lv30. If you still don't like it, then unfortunately the game isn't for you.

This. The first time the combat started to pick up when I was fighting Titan. During that team fight, not once did I think, man I am so bored and I am waiting for stuff to cast. The first time I did it I was healing like crazy while trying to dodge his 1 hit death lolzorz mechanics.

The problem I guess is most people play till level 10-15 and then quit.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Korzeam
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

If you think the combat is static, it's because you probably not reached lvl 50.

The combat is 10 times less static than Wow for example.

But it's true that at low levels (<30) the combat is too slow and you don't have enough skills.

Well, to bad for them, i never got past level 7 in this game (okay level 20+ in beta) and its not getting any better, i will never reach the glorified max level....  espescially not in this game that has you play over lower level content time and time again to level different classes....

I play for the journey, and if the journey is not fun, or even irritating me like with this game, i quit.. simple as that

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)