Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age:Inquisition's continuing problems

2»

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Doesn't seem to meet the minimum spec. That was they key answer above. And whilst the recommended HD4870 is not an "underpowered" card its not top of the range either, PassMark have it towards the bottom of their High End graphics card list.  

Some checks / sources:

1. Tom's Hardware Graphics Card Performance Heirarchy - in which they group different cards together to help you do a value for money comparison. (Tom's Hardware is an old long established, highly respected site in the industry.)

The minimum spec AMD HD4870 is a "tier 12" card; the AMD 6800 is a "tier 24 to 30-ish" card depending on the version.  

2. PassMark's  Video Card Performance site - based on readers running their cards through a "check". So many cards but a search and comparison came up with the following: 
    • 733 to a Mobility Radeon HD 4870
    • 109 to a basic GeForce 6800
    Which again suggests your card doesn't meet the minimun spec.  

You might say: why could I run those other games? Reasonable question and the answer probably lies in the rest of your system. The CPU will try and assist ...if it can.

Maybe an Apology to Bioware thread might be in order ...
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Doesn't seem to meet the minimum spec. That was they key answer above. And whilst the recommended HD4870 is not an "underpowered" card its not top of the range either, PassMark have it towards the bottom of their High End graphics card list.  

Some checks / sources:

1. Tom's Hardware Graphics Card Performance Heirarchy - in which they group different cards together to help you do a value for money comparison. (Tom's Hardware is an old long established, highly respected site in the industry.)

The minimum spec AMD HD4870 is a "tier 12" card; the AMD 6800 is a "tier 24 to 30-ish" card depending on the version.  

2. PassMark's  Video Card Performance site - based on readers running their cards through a "check". So many cards but a search and comparison came up with the following: 

You might say: why could I run those other games? Reasonable question and the answer probably lies in the rest of your system. The CPU will try and assist ...if it can.

I wish more people understood what minimum truly means.  This is a very nice explanation and layout.  While there are some issues with Dragon Age INQ, not meeting minimum specs is not the fault of Bioware

• UncleTopherUncleTopher Member UncommonPosts: 36

Well shit...

This one is on me. Thanks a LOT for the information and I am making my way over to TigerDirect as we speak to upgrade this GPU (as well as a couple more case fans) and try this all over again.

I think I am going to reserve any apologies to Bioware for now...the PC version of the game has technical problems of varying severity and degree to spare as well as some pretty flawed KB&M controls, though the game was touted as 'made by PC Gamers FOR PC Gamers". Too many problems for a AAA title. The DEVICE_HUNG error ranges across AMD as well as Nvidia cards of various descriptions. Not all of the cards being inferior. 

But I have to take some of the hit on this one.

Many of you were very cool and helpful and I very much appreciate it.

Any recommendations on a  $150-200 range GPU upgrade from this AMD HD 6800? After reading through Tom's HW I am a little ashamed I did not realise how not wonderful this card appears to be. I am amazed I got the frame rates and playability I did on recent games.I have CoolerMaster 850W power supply, so I think I should be OK to move forward on the GPU and upgrade significantly.

Thanks again for the help, guys.

Tophiate
    Co-Founder of Elder Moot
    SotA Founder

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Iselin

Video cards, ram, PSUs etc. don't require a new install but all MB changes and CPUs (other than replacements from the same architecture family) do.

A motherboard change will cause Windows to invalidate your OS license.  CPU architecture changes don't matter as long as they are compatible with the motherboard.  

I would like to see specific examples before I admit I'm wrong.  One guy on a forum who claims some odd things happened doesn't count, especially if the OS was only enabling three out of six cores.  Something was more messed up than just the OS.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by syntax42

Video cards, ram, PSUs etc. don't require a new install but all MB changes and CPUs (other than replacements from the same architecture family) do.

A motherboard change will cause Windows to invalidate your OS license.  CPU architecture changes don't matter as long as they are compatible with the motherboard.  

I would like to see specific examples before I admit I'm wrong.  One guy on a forum who claims some odd things happened doesn't count, especially if the OS was only enabling three out of six cores.  Something was more messed up than just the OS.

Never had problem with my OS becoming invalidated due to a change in mobo, while i did have to reinstall windows when i had my asus mobo burn out, which admittedly was something i messed up rather than a hardware fault, when i replaced it with a gigabyte mobo i didn't have any issues with the OS, whether this is due to my using oem versions, i am not sure, but i can only assume the whole invalidation thing only happens when you buy a PC with the OS already installed, something i have not done since windows 3...image

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    yeah you can always tell when a game was devoloped for consoles first then given a lazy pc port, the fact da:i has no built in mod support on the pc is a pretty big indication it was put on pc as a after thought, DA:O the first game had mod support at release as did DA2 I believe. Sigh, getting tired of consoles ruining pc gaming with crap like this. Also my pc specs are i5-2310 (2.66ghz cores i think 4 of em) 8 gb ram and a geforce 560 gtx 1gb, and i've never had these errors the OP mentioned. But my videocard DOES show its age in DA:I i had to drop some settings for a better fps. Looking to upgrade in jan most likely.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Some checks / sources:

I wish more people understood what minimum truly means.  This is a very nice explanation and layout.  While there are some issues with Dragon Age INQ, not meeting minimum specs is not the fault of Bioware

I ran the PassMark (cool program btw!) and I am literally dead in the middle of the pack on CPU, RAM, Mobo with the exception of my SSD which has me ranked much higher than most and my 3D Mark score was lower than most..yes I need a better GPU, I think we can all agree on that. I scored a 2502 overall.

Thanks so much for the help!

Tophiate
    Co-Founder of Elder Moot
    SotA Founder

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

And it can be re-validated with a simple phone call to them telling them that you just changed MBs and your license no longer applies to the old one... last time I did that the phone call was even automated and gave me a new code.

If you change a CPU with a different architecture or a new MB, Windows is supposed to notice the change and uninstall drivers that are no longer relevant and install new ones that are... supposed to.

Just like when you uninstall a program all traces of it are supposed to disappear from your HD and the registry... do you find that this happens in reality?

I have been building PCs for over 20 years and I have tried to do hardware migrations of MBs and CPUs before since that would be so much simpler if it was reliable... and I have never seen one that didn't mess up something important - sometimes something as basic as getting the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) for the CPU wrong - requiring me to do a clean OS re-install in the end.... I, and everyone else I know who knows what they're doing when building PCs, just cut to the chase, don't put our trust in Windows to recognize and deal with all the changes properly, and just do the clean install in the first place.

As I said, if you don't, some things will still work--especially all the basic tasks like web browsing, word processing, email, etc.-- and you may get the impression that all is well... until you try to run something that taxes the hardware and all of a sudden it isn't... and then you start troubleshooting the problem and can't figure out why... 

But you're right to not believe what some guy on the internet says - you'll find lots of people telling you that you can just do the swap and the OS will take care of everything... good luck with that.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

Eeek ! Scored even lower 2081. Like I said all set at high dare not try ultra with my aging system . Here's another shot if you want to compare.

Chamber of Chains
    wow..that image looks WAY better than mine do on the low settings...can't wait until all this is resolved so I can just play and enjoy the dang game already.
    Tophiate
    Co-Founder of Elder Moot
    SotA Founder

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

Running a AMD machine here with AMD ATI 7900 gfx cards with 14.9 drivers without problems. 

Modern games though such as Assassins Creed, Watchdogs, the new CoD (can't remember its name been so many of them) are all designed for the console and then ported back to the PC. This will always cause problems in frame rate drop and poor control systems.

The designers do their job backwards as all games start off on a PC or Mac and should be left as such, and then ported to console. They don't do this though as it is easier to make a game with lower graphic quality and fps rate for the console and then port it to the pc. Then if the game sells well enough to add in the HD textures latter and do a big fanfare about it saying they have added it as DLC for free. Which keeps the PC gamers happy.

Ubisoft and EA are both doing the same trick.

This is why a lot of games wont work well on the PC on the day of release due to poor porting of the code from console back to the PC, and so we see locked frame rates, vignettes and graphics that pop into existence when you get close as the game engine can not render quick enough for the PC.

My PC is a beast of a rig and can run Crysis 3 on ultra settings at 60fps constantly. I play a heavily modded Skyrim on Ultra also at 60FPS . Even new games in development like Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous are not a problem for my machine. Yet to this day it will not run Watchdogs due to the poor quality port of the game.

My main problem with Dragon Age Inquisition  though is that I can not seem to get multiplayer to work with it. It keeps saying I must log into Origin, but the game fires up Origin and logs me in automatically when I fire up the game. A lot of PC users have the same problem as well, so this is not an isolated case and BioWare doesn't seem to be doing anything about it. Gone are the days where PC gamers were respected by the developers and publishers from major companies like EA and Ubisoft. Yet they can't seem to live without us and will use us to boost sales figures on console only games.

Perhaps they can boost their sales quotes for a time, but with this fiasco they are ruining their reputation as a PC Game developer and I think Bioware is going to see a drop in PC sales on their next titles....which seems absurd to me...akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    Tophiate
    Co-Founder of Elder Moot
    SotA Founder

• RynetRynet Member UncommonPosts: 114

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

And in that thread you'll find many posts like this one:

"Finally it works! My problem was that Win7 didn't detect my new cpu as a hexa-core but triple-core because the old one was a triple core and the settings couldn't get updated. So I had to reset the number of the cores to default.

Notice anything odd? Such as no clean install of Windows after changing CPUs? lol...

I swear they should require licenses to operate PCs, or at least a test to demonstrate basic common sense... and if they fail, it's consoles for them.

enough said...

(PS. Have played over 100 hours SP with no problems (i7 4400k oc'd @ 4,2 GHz + Radeon HD 7970)... a few minor bugs here and there (can't mouse select wheel options sometimes and have to use the KB instead, disconnects in MP mode, etc.) but hardly anything worth mentioning.)

I have never heard of needing to reinstall Windows after any hardware upgrade.  Windows 7 might need to be directed to use the right drivers, but doesn't need a full reinstall.  I had no problem going from a four-core AMD to an eight-core.  It sounds more like something strange was going on with Windows or the BIOS.

If I had a dollar for everytime someone suggested reinstalling windows for a computer problem I'd be rich.  I've run into a lot of computer problems over the years but none were solved by reinstalling windows.  What I do is make an image of the os drive and put it away. In the event something nasty happens like a failed hard drive or such I make a copy of the image drive and use that, but even that's been rare.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

I play on my PS4.

Off topic.

It's an okay rpg but i have to ask myself wtf is going on with BioWare. Seriously how the feck can this game have no nght&day cycles lmfao. If this game wins goty then it will be a freaking joke.  

Seriously BioWare no weather cycles lmfao.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Originally posted by Robokapp

cyber monday > RAM Upgrade

that's my thoughts. There'll be more and more games above your computer's capabilities in future, why not upgrade now.

I am confused...what makes you think he doesn't have enough RAM? 8GB is all you need these days, and it is pretty much standard.

As for the game, I have had random ctd's and the respec crash bug is ridiculous too. I have stopped playing it until they patch it. Fed up with it.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by UncleTopher

Well, sure that's an easy answer, so often given in here and true enough in many cases

...any upgrade is nice but I am running 16GB of RAM, a 6 core 3.2 Ghz CPU and my weak link is my AMD 6800 series GPU...so maybe a better GPU but...if we force people to buy a new $1000 PC every 2 years ...I don't see PC gaming surviving that.

Still leaves me feeling that a game should be more polished and bug free upon release. Especially a game with the visibility of this one.

@Kaneth: I really do hope the best for the game and that the PC issues do get worked out. Not just for selfish reasons....I thoroughly enjoyed DA:O and was REALLY looking forward to this release. And along the lines of what you are saying: If PC games are an afterthought behind consoles in development....how long will PC gamers stay loyal? How long will PC gaming continue? I just am totally bewildered by this whole experience and I have been a devoted PC gamer for many years...I thought I had seen it all. 

When you didn't bother to list your specs in the OP I knew right away the issue was your PC. Now you've said it yourself, "my weak link is my AMD 6800 series GPU...so maybe a better GPU". 

/thread

nope, sorry. The issue is not with the PC. It exceeds all minimums and most req specs:

AMD Radeon HD6870

AMD FX 6100 6 core CPU ~3.4Ghz

8GB RAM

240GB Intel SSD

I have managed to get the game to run with minimal crashing by turning off any AA or post processing, as well as shadows on low. I also am running the game in 'windowed' mode.

For all the extra super cool smarty guys who makes assumptions about the PC being deficient or what not, I can only reiterate: The problem is with the game itself. Many people spread across all brands and levels of gaming rig are having game breaking problems.

Read some user reviews. Have knowledge before spouting nonsense.

Tophiate
    Co-Founder of Elder Moot
    SotA Founder

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

nope, sorry. The issue is not with the PC. It exceeds all minimums and most req specs:

AMD Radeon HD6870

8GB RAM

240GB Intel SSD

I have managed to get the game to run with minimal crashing by turning off any AA or post processing, as well as shadows on low. I also am running the game in 'windowed' mode.

For all the extra super cool smarty guys who makes assumptions about the PC being deficient or what not, I can only reiterate: The problem is with the game itself. Many people spread across all brands and levels of gaming rig are having game breaking problems.

There are genuinely several problems with this game on the PC side that have not to do with specs.  In fact it seems some people who have specs that exceed the recommended levels are the ones having the most issues. 

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962

AMD Radeon HD6870

8GB RAM

240GB Intel SSD

Ok where are you suggesting people read user reviews?  As if sites like this and metracritc are quality places to get reviews.  Plus it being an EA/BW game you are bound to have the trolls litter any review site.  These trolls just pick up on talking points and spam away.  

One thing that makes your post a little fishy no offense in your aggressiveness to those asking simple questions about your specs.  

Sure re some have issues more don't the problems probably are somewhere in the middle...the game itself and maybe your pc configuration.  There is zero reason to get hostile when someone suggest that...unless you are hiding something.  

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

AMD Radeon HD6870

8GB RAM

240GB Intel SSD

Maybe it is an issue with the game, but we're not tech support here, yet many were still trying to help you out anyway, hence why people need your specs to do so. IF turning down graphical settings helps, it's certainly one area you may still need to upgrade (issues with the game or not).

I'll Never understand why people turn to forums for such help, then get bent out of shape when specs are brought up... it's key to knowing where the problem may be spawning from. Next time take your problems to customer support, see how much better that is...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

And it can be re-validated with a simple phone call to them telling them that you just changed MBs and your license no longer applies to the old one... last time I did that the phone call was even automated and gave me a new code.

If you change a CPU with a different architecture or a new MB, Windows is supposed to notice the change and uninstall drivers that are no longer relevant and install new ones that are... supposed to.

Just like when you uninstall a program all traces of it are supposed to disappear from your HD and the registry... do you find that this happens in reality?

I have been building PCs for over 20 years and I have tried to do hardware migrations of MBs and CPUs before since that would be so much simpler if it was reliable... and I have never seen one that didn't mess up something important - sometimes something as basic as getting the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) for the CPU wrong - requiring me to do a clean OS re-install in the end.... I, and everyone else I know who knows what they're doing when building PCs, just cut to the chase, don't put our trust in Windows to recognize and deal with all the changes properly, and just do the clean install in the first place.

As I said, if you don't, some things will still work--especially all the basic tasks like web browsing, word processing, email, etc.-- and you may get the impression that all is well... until you try to run something that taxes the hardware and all of a sudden it isn't... and then you start troubleshooting the problem and can't figure out why... 

But you're right to not believe what some guy on the internet says - you'll find lots of people telling you that you can just do the swap and the OS will take care of everything... good luck with that.

I agree wholeheartedly.

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by Distopia

AMD Radeon HD6870

8GB RAM

240GB Intel SSD

Maybe it is an issue with the game, but we're not tech support here, yet many were still trying to help you out anyway, hence why people need your specs to do so. IF turning down graphical settings helps, it's certainly one area you may still need to upgrade (issues with the game or not).

I'll Never understand why people turn to forums for such help, then get bent out of shape when specs are brought up... it's key to knowing where the problem may be spawning from. Next time take your problems to customer support, see how much better that is...

Because they are not here for help...they most likely have another agenda they are trying to push...