Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite limited chat - hidden reason ?

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I was shocked to learn that Elite will have no form of global chat.

No :  system , local , universe , guild ... nothing of that kind.

Only chat in game will be limited to targeted player that have to be next to you ( and maximum of 6 players) ?!.

I see this as horrible gameplay decision , especially now that they announced that the game is Online only.

Basically kills any hope this game could function on any social level - no guilds , no politics , no economy , no roleplay , no trading. Nothing.  ( its almost on the level of fake multiplayer of dark souls )

Now. I can not believe this is in any way a gameplay decision. Because thisalone will drop game rating and any designer knows this.

I believe this is done in order to hide some engine deficiency or problem. Any idea what it could be ?

Comments

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Yeah I really hope Elite Dangerous dosent turn out to be a cheesy no depth space sim.  EVE isnt for me and Star Citizen... well dont even get me started on the virtual ship shop dupe of the century game.
  • HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

They just need to get their ingame shop ready (and a suitable amount of players demanding the option to pay for extras).

Voila: 2 week chat-pass only $7, one-use pass for global announcement $nn... J/K (really! At least I hope I am).

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

The point you mentioned is just one of countless horrible game design decisions of people who have never made an online game and obviously don´t have a clue how to design one.

In my humble opinion, this tech demo should be dumped in the depths of the ocean and never surface again, at least not on MMO sites.

Oh well since it´s now a "single player online game" with DRM, I don´t even see where it would fit in. Probably in the more obscure indie experimental genre.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Global chat for whom ?

All the players in the galaxy ?

Only the players in open-world multiplayer-mode ?

All the players playing in single-player mode who'll never meet any real player in the game ?

All the players playing together in the same "private login group" ?

I'm not sure that "global chat" fulfills any useful function in the game. What's the point in chatting to people that you cannot ever see in your instance of the game world ?

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

The game is now literally like Dark Souls.

You must be online. Sometime you see people as ghosts for moment , not related to anything you do.

There goes 20 year waiting for online Elite :(

One turned into virtual space ship cash shop , and other one is a tech demo with some kind of lobby.

:(

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    Thinking on some of the comments you guys made above, this is actually becoming mind-boggling to me. Why, oh why?
  • HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708

Well, apparently it was never considered as part of the design : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6371.

That's really weird to me.

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

The reason is this is a single player game first, with bad coop features to sell the online only drm and cash shop to simple minded people expecting eve with better combat.

They could have done so much with this game but it will never be a mmo.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Originally posted by Sketch420

The reason is this is a single player game first, with bad coop features to sell the online only drm and cash shop to simple minded people expecting eve with better combat.

They could have done so much with this game but it will never be a mmo.

Pretty much this...blunt as heck..but true i think.:P

If they had of made an new updated version of the old elite  single player game i think they would have been better off. Then later make it into a MMO..not try to do a half assed version of both.

• janmarsjanmars Member Posts: 1
    No we are at release, quite a number of people are picking up on this issue - and it may well end up being quite a problem...
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    I don't miss global chat. If I ever socialize ill use ventrilo, like the last five years.