Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying to Update Hp h8-1020 GPU

jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
I am looking to update my HP h8-1020. It has a IPIS8-CU (Carmel 2) motherboard. I know the motherboard is a piece of crap, but I do not want to replace it if I dont have to yet. My Bios is a Legacy Bios and I can upgrade to 7.16. From my research it seems people are having some trouble getting cards to run with this MoBo, but I do not know if its because they are buying UEFI cards or a deeper issue. I would like to get a GTX 760 or a R9 270x. I found a Sapphire Radeon that specifically says that it works with both UEFI or a Legacy Bios, and has a switch on it. I have not been able to find much out about the GTXs. Do you think that the R9 270 or GTX 760 will work? I already upgraded the PSU when I bought the PC. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

As you observed, your motherboard is basically the definition of cheap junk.  It's an LGA 1155 motherboard that not only can't handle Ivy Bridge processors at all, but can't even handle most Sandy Bridge quad cores.  I didn't know that they made such a thing, but it doesn't surprise me that HP would commission it.

UEFI versus BIOS shouldn't be a problem.  The motherboard says it has a PCI Express x16 slot; hopefully they mean PCI Express 2.0 x16, since that's what's built into the CPU.

You're definitely going to need to replace the power supply in order to upgrade the video card.  Something like this should do nicely:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182261

It's probable that some video cards won't fit in your case.  This will:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127794

And then there are still worries about having enough general case airflow to keep the case interior from getting excessively hot.  I'm not sure exactly how much airflow you have now, but it's probably not very much.  Replacing the case would fix that, but so would adding fans if there are places for them.  Which there might not be.

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I am pretty sure it's a 2.0, but have not found a definite answer. I think i have enough space for whatever. I have 2 empty bays above my card and i have a lot of space to the back. I have seen people say they could not get the Gtx 760 to work, but i don't think they got a definitive answer as to why? The Pc currently has a hd 6570 in it which is like a $40 card... Hopefully one of the R9s will work
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

A higher end video card is not compatible with the power supply you have.  Depending on how savvy the people who weren't able to make it work are, the problem might be as simple as that.  It's not just that the appropriate connectors are missing; it's that it can't supply enough power appropriately.  Even if you can get adapters to convert Molex to PCI-E power connectors or some such, that doesn't magically make the power supply able to deliver more power than before.  It would, however, be very much a danger to fry the entire system.

If the higher end video card kind of worked, but not properly, overheating could be the culprit.  Video card coolers typically assume that they're put into a case with appropriate airflow so that they just have to get heat off of the GPU and dispersed into the case, and the case will handle getting the excess heat out of the case entirely.  Put a card into a case without much airflow, and it won't clear out the excess heat.  Instead, you just end up with overheating.  That can cause clock speeds to throttle back severely, and also shortens the life expectancy of many components in the system.

PCI Express is backward compatible, so you can plug a card of one PCI Express version into a slot of a different PCI Express version and it will work--but at the bandwidth of whichever is the slower version.  Ideally, you'd like to put a PCI Express 3.0 card into a PCI Express 3.0 slot, but outside of top-end cards, a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot will only infrequently make a measurable difference, and even a PCI Express 1.0 x16 slot isn't that bad.

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I upgraded psu before i even turned pc on. I have a corsair 600w. I am not sure of exact model. The 6570 does not require a power connector. I know the 280x is a power hog, but the 270x seemed much lower. People who tried the 760 day they bought new psu as well so im not sure
  • StoevixStoevix Member UncommonPosts: 37

Couple days ago I bought the XFX R7 260X Double D Edition and it said UEFI on the box. My PC is a custom built which I built it my self 5 years ago so it don't use UEFI.

I had no problem at all getting the XFX R7 260X Double D Edition to work in my PC.