Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reduced Server Capacity

TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Rumor is that during the server outage, Trion has reduced the server capacity to save money.  Before the servers crashed, not one server was rated as HIGH and now, 48 hours later when the servers have come back up, they are mostly at "HIGH" or "QUEUE".  This is across the boards on NA and EU servers.

Now I know a certain person will jump in and say it is just more people playing but...  What would drive the server population to double after a 48 hour server outage?  Why would thousands of new players jump in after a server crash with no new content?  Are we to honestly believe that the PR of a second failed castle siege and all servers down would bring in an avalanche of new people to the game?

Before the crash on my server, the population never went past HIGH and the Jury queue was usually at 1200.  Now my server is back up, listed as HIGH and the Jury queue is at 600 when I log in.  How can we have less people in the Jury queue but a higher server population?  You cant opt out of the jury queue, all level 30's and above who did the jury quest are automatically placed in the queue. 

I'm ok with the server crash, these things happen.  What I have a hard time with is the poor management and lack of communication coming from Trion.   

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Comments

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Perhaps the crash was due to a outright failure of hardware and teh server is operating at a reduced capacity until the defective nodes can be replaced? No clue, really. Don't play. But there might be other reasons?

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I haven't been able to get in since Saturday and the word from Trion is kind of mind-boggling. I am not a hardware person, but am wondering how in hell complete server arrays can go down? Well hmm maybe I answered my own question lol.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by spankybus
    Perhaps the crash was due to a outright failure of hardware and teh server is operating at a reduced capacity until the defective nodes can be replaced? No clue, really. Don't play. But there might be other reasons?

Sure, it it was a server or two.  This is across all 21 servers in both NA and the UK.  Different servers using different ISP's dont all suffer from the same hardware failure.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    They said that they reduced server capacity earlier in the day to help improve server stability. Once things were stable they increased the capacity again. It's right in the Server Status post http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?134477-ArcheAge-Server-Connectivity-Issues
  • BinafusBinafus Member UncommonPosts: 230

My guess this all happened with the last apex exploit people were posting in AA forums.  

Trion tries to fix the problem and whatever the fix was made the lag and crashing of the servers.

This is at least a good guess, because there was bad lag after the fix, could be more checks on the server vs account.

• Moguy3Moguy3 Member UncommonPosts: 70

You guys arent playing wow?

• BinafusBinafus Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by Moguy3

You guys arent playing wow?

I am at the loading screen now:)

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    My server was showing at High capacity and I was a little over 1000 in the jury queue when I logged in.  I'm usually around 1200-1300 in queue when I log in at high capacity.  Capacity seems to have dropped a bit but not as much as the OP indicates.   That is on the Tahyang server.  I can't speak for the other servers.
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Forgrimm
    They said that they reduced server capacity earlier in the day to help improve server stability. Once things were stable they increased the capacity again. It's right in the Server Status post http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?134477-ArcheAge-Server-Connectivity-Issues

good catch Forgrimm ...looks like the OP should try a little research before his posts

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Talonsin

Rumor is that during the server outage, Trion has reduced the server capacity to save money.  Before the servers crashed, not one server was rated as HIGH and now, 48 hours later when the servers have come back up, they are mostly at "HIGH" or "QUEUE".  This is across the boards on NA and EU servers.

Now I know a certain person will jump in and say it is just more people playing but...  What would drive the server population to double after a 48 hour server outage?  Why would thousands of new players jump in after a server crash with no new content?  Are we to honestly believe that the PR of a second failed castle siege and all servers down would bring in an avalanche of new people to the game?

Before the crash on my server, the population never went past HIGH and the Jury queue was usually at 1200.  Now my server is back up, listed as HIGH and the Jury queue is at 600 when I log in.  How can we have less people in the Jury queue but a higher server population?  You cant opt out of the jury queue, all level 30's and above who did the jury quest are automatically placed in the queue. 

I'm ok with the server crash, these things happen.  What I have a hard time with is the poor management and lack of communication coming from Trion.   

Do you even understand archeage? People had 5k capped labor, their animals were dying, crops dying, not to mention those that just wanted to play the game after such a wait.

They did reduce server capacity temporarily but still, it was a busy day.

Not a white knight or anything but it's really not a big deal, just a game.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    I figured they reduced server capacity simply so they could do some testing on the servers and try to figure out what's wrong and/or fix it or... some junk like that.  I doubt they'd do it right NOW to save money when the things are like, in the middle of exploding or whatever.  I could be wrong. *shrug*
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

I hadn't played WOW for 7 years .

It's actually great fun to be playing again , So much so that I rolled a lvl 1 Warrior to tank all those classic dungeons .

Max level I got to was 50  before I quit ,  So I missed out of 40 lvls worth of dungeons over the last 7 years .

Also lvl 90 - 100 dungeons :)

Am I missing ArcheAges PvE content ? lol haha .. yeah funny joke .

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Originally posted by Grailer

I hadn't played WOW for 7 years .

It's actually great fun to be playing again , So much so that I rolled a lvl 1 Warrior to tank all those classic dungeons .

Max level I got to was 50  before I quit ,  So I missed out of 40 lvls worth of dungeons over the last 7 years .

Also lvl 90 - 100 dungeons :)

Am I missing ArcheAges PvE content ? lol haha .. yeah funny joke .

Am I missing WoW farming, crafting system, ships, sieges, open world and pvp? lol haha...yeah funny joke.

• TimzillaTimzilla Member UncommonPosts: 437
    They put the cap back to normal, but left the threshold for "high" at a lower value according to Trion.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Timzilla
    They put the cap back to normal, but left the threshold for "high" at a lower value according to Trion.

I'm sure they will keep revising the thresholds as required, it's always better to have servers at "High" rather than just "Up"...

• prestodotexeprestodotexe Member Posts: 35

Someone better mention WoW once or the trolls will never get fed.

Check out every post out there, betcha someone mentions WoW at least 1 time per thread.

haha presto!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by spankybus

I would sort of lean towards this as i don't see any reason for them to shift server machines to some other game,unless they are actually renting and using some outside service.Lack of communication seems to be typical from Trion,i scoffed at them when they first got the license for this game and took 2 months to say anything.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.