Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old gamer looking for relaxing mmorpg

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    People will scoff at this suggestion, but a career as a miner, industrialist, mission runner in EVE would well meet most of your criteria.

Sorry, no pets, though some folks collect the corpses of the players they pod kill.

I wouldn't scoff.  EVE is the first that came to mind when I read the OP and seems to be the perfect fit except like you said, no pets. 

So you could play EVE and mine and craft to your hearts content and never ever get ganked?

Yeah, OP said that he wants to avoid forced pvp. Not really sure that EVE is the best suggestion.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    People will scoff at this suggestion, but a career as a miner, industrialist, mission runner in EVE would well meet most of your criteria.

Sorry, no pets, though some folks collect the corpses of the players they pod kill.

I wouldn't scoff.  EVE is the first that came to mind when I read the OP and seems to be the perfect fit except like you said, no pets. 

So you could play EVE and mine and craft to your hearts content and never ever get ganked?

Meh.  When, and the way, I played EVE I mined and crafted without getting ganked.   I did get podded once when going through a gate in low sec once though.  It could have been avoided, but I'm not here to convince anyone to play a specific game much less play it a certain way.  I'm just chiming in like everyone else.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814

A couple of games come to mind:

Ryzom -- as already mentioned, it is the best exploration/crafting game set in a virtual world. Many many nights just spent digging and listening to music. Built in MP3 player too.

ESO -- mostly a solo type game, lots of fun to just explore and gather stuff and fish.

FF14 -- has a slower, measured pace. It's fun to just seek out new fishing spots and relax.

LoTRO -- another slower game, fun to explore and gather stuff.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Meh.  When, and the way, I played EVE I mined and crafted without getting ganked.   I did get podded once when going through a gate in low sec once though.  It could have been avoided, but I'm not here to convince anyone to play a specific game much less play it a certain way.  I'm just chiming in like everyone else.

Yeah, you could actually mine and craft without ever getting ganked.  Not likely however since you are likely to make a mistake, or take a chance here and there and on occasion, pay for it.

But it's an uncommon occurrence and considered in the cost of doing business.  But like you said, I'm not here to tell people how to play or predict how successful they'll be at it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

As other's have said EVE is a possibility. If you stay in HiSec you can avoid being ganked as much as possible and spend your time mining and crafting. If you want to quest for a while run some missions for an Agent. I find sitting in an Asteroid belt mining with my Retriever very relaxing. Arma 3 Epoch is also worth considering, if you die you lose your gear but it's pretty easy to get new stuff, you just need to go to church :).

Landmark is good for your creative side but you run out of things to do pretty quickly. Xyson is also a possibility. Life is Feudal: YO has potential but is in early Alpha and needs a lot of to be implemented before it becomes fully fleshed out, once it develops as far as the MMO it would be worth considering. Wurm is god if you can get passed the interface. The Repopulation (still in alpha) may be worth a look. from what I've read you can stay in the safe zones and avoid PvP.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Disagree with Eve, it's famous advice to all new players and especially Pvers is don't fly what you can afford to lose. Next is constantly watch radar or setup a tank build for your miner. Next it's don't use autopilot, then it's use scouts and avoid fate camps if you want to got to anything other than hi sec, then it's avoid malicious corps who attack miners for tears. This is all micro management to avoid being griefed - not relaxing or fun for a pver, it's a pain.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Disagree with Eve, it's famous advice to all new players and especially Pvers is don't fly what you can afford to lose. Next is constantly watch radar or setup a tank build for your miner. Next it's don't use autopilot, then it's use scouts and avoid fate camps if you want to got to anything other than hi sec, then it's avoid malicious corps who attack miners for tears. This is all micro management to avoid being griefed - not relaxing or fun for a pver, it's a pain.

All pretty sound advice really, and yes, EVE is a MMORPG that you have to fly safe, be smart in order to thrive.

It's not for everyone. But it's really not that hard, most people are just that bad.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

Do not bother with EVE, i tried to do missions while listening to audio books and i got suicide ganked 6-7 times before i quit as it clearly was not what i was looking for....

EVE is a PvP based game and the griefing there is real, they get killed by the police AFTER you die... and there is nothing i could do vs 10+ people  determined to suicide gank me. 

They have corporations dedicated to suicide ganking and every major corporation/alliance does it "for fun" on occasion. :-)

Also, they have events where the whole point is to suicide gank miners....

Take my word for it, unless you want PvP or high risk, EVE is not for you.

I`ll also add that once your ship explodes its gone and you need to buy a new one, its like having to rebuy your gear/mount when you die in a fantasy MMO...

I`d recommend SWTOR for the voice acted story and the Elder Scrolls Online for the same thing... both are a joy to level in.(In ESO many dislike that you have to do all the content to level, including the other alliances, but if you just want to hve fun and take it easy... i for one liked doing the content... and there is a lot of it...)

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Yeah, you could actually mine and craft without ever getting ganked.  Not likely however since you are likely to make a mistake, or take a chance here and there and on occasion, pay for it.

But it's an uncommon occurrence and considered in the cost of doing business.  But like you said, I'm not here to tell people how to play or predict how successful they'll be at it.

The OP said they didn't want to pvp so I was curious if you could play a portion of the game and completely avoid that entirely. It hear conflicting claims and never really get a straight answer. I was hoping for one this time.

If you are careful you can avoid 99% of PvP. Don't fly through LowSec as there is a good chance you will get ganked at the gate as you jump in. When mining in an asteroid belt align yourself to a station so if someone warps in that looks suspicious you can warp out quickly and avoid PvP. If you are going to afk mine, watch movies while playing or listen to audio books and not concentrate on what you are doing there is a good chance that you will be ganked and lose your ship. If you want an easy mode game EVE is not for you.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

OP..

pick up a copy of GuildWars2

group partying isnt a problem and neither are class rolls untill max lvl ..lvl at your own pace and if you get bored you can do a lil pvp / its not forced upon you..and atm  you can pickup a copy from their web-site for 20$ with no monthly pay fee ..its a cheap super casual mmo

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    EQ2 and WOW are my go to game when i want to relax after long day of work.
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

FFXIV is the most relaxed of the "New school" MMOs I have played, combat is paced slower and is less twitch reliant, which as those reflexes slow is a nice thing

Swtor played as a Co-op RPG with between 2 and 4 people is an amazing experience too.

For sandbox games there is nothing out there mmo wise that ticks all your boxes that I have tried sadly.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Wow, the guy asked for a sandbox like game where he can chill, do his thing and still progress and have fun, yet all I see suggested "or the majority" are themepark/grind/loot centric games.

Listen man, I hear ya and I think I know where you are coming from. I would highly suggest Wurm Online or Xyson. Both of those games are a more "take your own pace" type game yet offer enough diversity to be fun in both exploration and progression/collecting and having a mysterious and "new" feel, with enough depth to keep anyone with patience happy.

Wurm Online has a "continent" type server structure, so you can live on a fairly safe "raiders do sometimes invade" PvE contienent yet if you feel moved to do so can progress to the full on PvP continent where it's everything goes at the cost of skill loss, you can traverse through these contienents anytime you wish but it must be planned as it is a VERY large skill loss. The crafting is VERY deep and involved, you essentially live in this game and the population is pretty decent and very nice....well most.

Xyson is pretty close to the same, but it's split into seperate servers that do not connect, yet it has a style all its own. You can live and progress in this world as well and it's quite a unique experience but the progression is a bit more stilted and requires more patience and resolve and can be hard if you don't find a guild, a bit harder to live off the land so to speak and not quite as smooth overall and the population isn't quite as friendly, helpful or abundant, but still quite a gem in many regards and worth at least checking out.

Of these two I suggest Wurm Online more as overall it just has better design, but Xyson is interesting in its own right. I would say both of these MMORPG's are quite "mature" and you would get along I believe quite well with the community of both.

• ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348
    Should give Trove a try. It's what Cube World was shaping up to be before it flopped.
  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    I'm an older gamer too and i find Firefall real relaxing....okay not so much, but I really like the game.
  • snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    All they mentioned above, except GW2.
    Big let down imo

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• cd_bluecd_blue Member UncommonPosts: 14

Awesome!

Again thanks everyone for all the replies looking at all the options. Only one I am taking a pass on is Eve because the PVP element will cause me problems I am sure.

Thus far got to play some LoTRO and I had old account forgot about (from beta!)... Somehow had premium account with 1,000 Turbine points. I got into some of the deeds and seemed like great way spend some time.

Now going to get into some Wurm as I type this :)

Awesome got so much advice never expected 5 pages worth. Thanks again everyone! :)

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by cd_blue

I have been out of MMORPG scene for a really long time. I am thinking about getting back into it but I think my dungeon grinding/raiding days have past me.

As I have gotten older ive  gotten more into games like Minecraft, Mount and Blade, type open ended sandbox games. So thought I would see what suggestions there might be out there.

I really don't much care about grinding for gear at all. I was doing all that pre-Kunark EQ and for many years later heh.

What I am looking for more is something to play while kicking back, listening to music, and just relaxing. Game based around crafting, exploration, getting achievements, collecting pets, etc etc.

To give rough idea... When left WoW many years ago most my time I spent collecting mounts/companions, had every tradeskill maxed (made ton of gold which I also found fun), mined when I was bored and wanted to just chill, and farmed old dungeons just for sake of it. I spent vast amount of my time either play with my wife or just solo (mostly solo)

Just thought ask see perhaps what was out there. Was considering Trove but not so sure about it. Also I don't care if it's F2P or not. Actually do like subscription model better but with that said F2P would be fine :)

Also want to stay away from forced pvp

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Why not give WoD a try? Now, it's obviously not a sandbox or that style of game, but as far as the things you said you like to do, it would hit some marks. I'm an older gamer myself... well, 33. But around here, that seems old.

Myself and a good buddy took some time away from WoW as well. I came back a while ago, but my buddy held off. He was hesitant to do WoW again as he did NOT want to rehash any content or do a starting zone again; however, he also didn't want to jump in on his old character as he felt lost. 

It wasn't until WoD came out that I got him back into the game. With WoD, you can jump in at level 90 and experience all the new goodness without doing any of the old (if you don't want to). With the new garrisons,  a player like you would be in heaven! Lots of new things to collect and achieve. Buildings, mounts, followers, etc. I really think you would enjoy it. 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Wow and the emotes/rush through dungeons/get ganked if you fall behind the gear race gameplay is probably not what most would call a relaxing game focused on crafting and exploring :p besides if you read host post he is comming from wow. Lotr is a good shout op - get yourself in a good guild :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by cd_blue

Thus far got to play some LoTRO and I had old account forgot about (from beta!)... Somehow had premium account with 1,000 Turbine points. I got into some of the deeds and seemed like great way spend some time.

Nice, premium with some TP is a cool start.

And yep, that's what I wrote above, for a completionist / collector the deed log is a great way to spend some (massive) time. Also check the collector tab, with the mounts, pets, and other collectibles. Since a few of those are seasonal, you can spend years to collect everything :) And after that there are still the housing items, the wardrobe, the rare emotes, etc. (Yule festival will launch next week, a great place for learning some dance moves, good to know a few for the player events)

• GandoresGandores Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Sounds to me like you're in need of some good ole UO
  • KeppyKeppy Member UncommonPosts: 28

I found this thread useful.  I am a female gamer.  I had to step away from gaming for a few years cuz my twin boys took up most of my time.  Now that they are a little older, I'm anxious to find a game.  I really miss it.  image

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I recommend you broaden your search to single player rpgs. I would recommend Skyrim or Dragon Age Inquisition for something newer. Let the game pull you in like a good book or good movie. Interact with it though, be curious, analyze voice over dialog and run on some instinct. I personally don't think mmorpgs allow one to enjoy a game quite like I am suggesting.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

For causal leave it alone for awhile, come back and pick it up easy game I play Guild Wars 2. If you like to craft, I was amazed at the amount of dedicated storage space they give you for crafting. 

Lots of exploring and you don't have to go into a PvP area unless you want to collect that rare pet wolf they have there which isn't even deep in PvP territory.  Also Guild Wars has a legacy program with GW2 which give you additional rare pets for having played that game. 

There's no level requirement for pets, so if you want to run your low level ranger to  high level areas to collect additional pets so you can play with them as you level you can, but you will die a lot getting there (and have fun doing it).

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• vkejaivkejai Member UncommonPosts: 99

Hi having played most games out there and being in my forties I would have to recommend LOTRO , SWTOR or ESO . With LOTRO and SWTOR my only complaint really about these games are the amount of abilities classes have , way to many to be chilled out . ESO has the least amount so depends if you are comfortable with a few abilities or loads of abilities.

LOTRO and SWTOR are F2P , ESO is subbed. Although if you do get into a F2P game you will probably land up spending money in them anyways. Hope this helps you out.