Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Value of 12X Class XP

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With the launch of early access for Shadow of Revan on Tuesday, Star Wars: the Old Republic retired a subscriber perk that had allowed hordes of filthy casuals like myself to finally get through each class story and have a character at the now-previous level cap.  Today's article is about that perk and whether it ultimately had value to the game.

Read more of Jean Prior's Star Wars: The Old Republic - The Value of 12x Class XP.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

When was this 'subscriber perk' added?

I quit the game a month or two before the 'housing' update.  I never saw any sort of experience boost for subscribers aside from the 20% global bonus.

Granted, I wouldn't give them money again after playing the game (or really even play the game at all because of its horrific engine that still hasn't been updated), but this might have tempted me to come back and experience the stories of other classes I never got to before I got fed up enough to quit.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

I remember some of the fights in the story line being rather rough if you weren't properly geared. My first toon, an assassin in "whatever the heck I picked up along the way" gear, had his butt handed to him in the very last fight for a while before I called in a guildie and beat it.

Later characters had the benefit of a stable of crafters and a war chest full of cash, allowing them to be fully geared in blues at level, making the last fights while not exactly easy, very manageable.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by DAOWAce

When was this 'subscriber perk' added?

I quit the game a month or two before the 'housing' update.  I never saw any sort of experience boost for subscribers aside from the 20% global bonus.

Granted, I wouldn't give them money again after playing the game (or really even play the game at all because of its horrific engine that still hasn't been updated), but this might have tempted me to come back and experience the stories of other classes I never got to before I got fed up enough to quit.

It was added as an additional perk when you pre-ordered the expansion.

They really need to bring it back somehow, as it made the game vastly more enjoyable and actually felt like a Old Republic game.

• KwonKwon Member UncommonPosts: 56

You had to pre-order the expansion AND be a subscriber to get the perk.

I enjoyed the perk thoroughly.  The gear issue was a problem at times, but it wasnt a show stopper.  When you reached 47 and Makeb opened up, the last 8 levels were easy as pie because of the Makeb gear normalization buff. 

I managed to get 5 level 50's to 55 and 3 more to 55 from scratch.  Some of those imperials, which I would not have done otherwise.  I ended up seeing a lot of story line I would not have seen.

On to Rishi...

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    They definitely have to make this permanent in-game somehow. Maybe when you take one character to 50 you unlock it from your legacy or something if you are a sub. It was way more enjoyable than standard levelling and kept me playing the whole time and even then i couldn't finish all the stories. If they put this as a CM item it wouldn't really sit well with folks probably but if they do it that way it has to be a legacy-wide unlock and not per character with a ridicilous price. One thing is for certain, this need to be in the game permanently.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

I leveled seven of my characters from 50 to 55 during that period and for me it worked out great.  Having 7 characters at 50 I had done my exploring and experienced the side quests to my hearts content.  I just want to experience the main story line.  So, again I loved it just as it was.  I won't do 50 to 60 unless they do something like that again.

Just for kicks I went to level a lvl 15 to see if just the main story xp x12 was enough to take him up to 55.  It wasn't, around level 35 he started falling behind the quest levels.  Rather than do side quests or other content I just left him there at 35.  I see why Wow offered those lvl 90 characters.  I can only enjoy the same content so many times. 

I wouldn't be surprised if SWTOR started selling lvl 50's one day.

Good article.  Thanks.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by orionblack

They really need to bring it back somehow, as it made the game vastly more enjoyable and actually felt like a Old Republic game.

Pretty much this.  Between my 2 accounts I have close to or either over 40 something characters. Been playing off and on since first day of early access (Was on my home server Kinarth Spider within the first hour of that day). As much as I like the game when I go back. I just can't really be bothered to do the side quest anymore. They just aren't fun anymore. The 12x Class experience offer for preorder got me back and playing. Because all I really care about now more or less is class stories. The early access for the latest expansion has been under way for how many days now? And I've barely gained two levels because of the side quest boring me already. If they made the 12x experience for class missions a consumable in market or legacy unlock or something. I'd be more then happy to continue my sub, and just keep leveling alts like I did with my Chiss project.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    I LOVED the 12X xp and wish they would bring it back in some shape or form.  I have 2 more class stories I need to get thru ;D.
  • MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

"For example, I played my other Jedi Knight for 15 hours on Monday, but not hardcore, often chatting with friends and devs in Landmark on my laptop at the same time.  I wound up going from level 20 to 42, which is over half of Chapter 1 and all but the tail end of Chapter 2.  That's about half of the class's elder game content in one casual sitting."

How is playing 15 hours out of 24 not hardcore lol. Casual is a couple hours a day imo.

On topic...i wish this was permanent as it would get me to go back and take another look. Should be an option when you create a new character whether you want to turn it on or not. Now way would i slog through all that filler i've already done just to see the only part of TOR i want to.

• MirandelMirandel Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Would love to see that feature permanent! Optional, if possible, but available in game at any moment. Was so great to do it. Some stories finally made sense to me and was was able to get all legacy buffs painlessly - a very useful perk on a new server. 
  • Username_takenUsername_taken Member UncommonPosts: 19

And yet another derogatory article from a misinformed writer that doesn't have the sense of a pile of bantha poodoo. Where do they find these tards that write this stuff?

And to the guy that said he got stuck at 35: You are lying. I got 4 characters from 15-28 to level 55 during the 12x time and never once fell behind on levels. In fact, when I started a new planet I was always at the top end of the level range for that planet.

• residentxresidentx Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by Mirandel
    Would love to see that feature permanent! Optional, if possible, but available in game at any moment. Was so great to do it. Some stories finally made sense to me and was was able to get all legacy buffs painlessly - a very useful perk on a new server. 

That would be awesome. How about up to level 50?

• DrucalionDrucalion Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I did enjoy the 12X XP perk but i think making it permanent would ruin the game. it's already full of wanna be 12xp tanks trying to run Operations with absolutely no idea how to play as a tank. Progression in operations would become intolably hard the more people get to max level without knowing how to raid.
  • residentxresidentx Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by Roin
    Originally posted by orionblack

Pretty much this.  Between my 2 accounts I have close to or either over 40 something characters. Been playing off and on since first day of early access (Was on my home server Kinarth Spider within the first hour of that day). As much as I like the game when I go back. I just can't really be bothered to do the side quest anymore. They just aren't fun anymore. The 12x Class experience offer for preorder got me back and playing. Because all I really care about now more or less is class stories. The early access for the latest expansion has been under way for how many days now? And I've barely gained two levels because of the side quest boring me already. If they made the 12x experience for class missions a consumable in market or legacy unlock or something. I'd be more then happy to continue my sub, and just keep leveling alts like I did with my Chiss project.

I'd sub the game for 12x xp...I'd buy a year upfront!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by Username_taken

And yet another derogatory article from a misinformed writer that doesn't have the sense of a pile of bantha poodoo. Where do they find these tards that write this stuff?

And to the guy that said he got stuck at 35: You are lying. I got 4 characters from 15-28 to level 55 during the 12x time and never once fell behind on levels. In fact, when I started a new planet I was always at the top end of the level range for that planet.

So you did nothing but the story quests?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    I wish they would make it a permanent sub perk too, not much else seems worthy of sub anymore, except faster leveling.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

It should be permenant, or rather any content past lvl 50 should be only the main story.

and for ppl with legacy 50 or cc unlock, 1-50 is 12x as well.

side questing is a chore. End game is more important than side questing for the sake of a journey especially for those 1. Don't want it. 2. Played through the game and have a high legacy and several alts.

the real problem is how shortening the journey puts more emphasis on end game. How many millions of dollars and time did swtor devs spend developing side questing to then not develop other aspects such as developing end game more, mini games more, and even their engine to better suit the needs of the players without needing a super PC to run it to still have video lag.

for me, I would enjoy the game much more without the downtime in side questing and even dailies. 

I could do dailies if it were presented in such a way as a dynamic event in an open world setting with interactive npcs that seem more alive by reacting to current conflicts - moving, dying etc, open world Pvp, alignment with npcs and building favor and unlocks or help in open world, and npcs reacting to situations  to having their own agenda.

tye world feels too static for me to bother with questing other than the main story. So they are doing fine now. But I feel, had I missed the 12x boost I would have quit the game with the new expansion and not wanting to waste time with more than one class.

which is why having quick lvling to end game is important. Make alting fun and more rewarding. Alignment choices in story and allow people access to end game with different combat styles.

im not sure how, but apparently some finished the game 1-55 in 7 hours. I guess they had stealth and just ran through content and no datacrons. For me around 17 hours with datacrons and downtime with gearing and watching some of the cutscenes. On the other hand before any exp boost the quickest time to 1-50 was 50 hours, mine was around 5-6 days playtime. I'm beginning to become suspicious on how this is possible.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• FanOfSupermanFanOfSuperman Member UncommonPosts: 144

Add me to the list of those wanting the 12x XP to come back in some form or another. It's was brought me back to SWTOR and has kept me subbed the last two months and I'd be far more likely to stay if the perk did.

I've said in another thread (or perhaps on another site) that I thought it would be a great thing to add to the legacy system as a possible unlock and I've seen a lot of people in various places (including a couple here in this thread) saying the same. Can't be that bad an idea if so many people feel that way. C'mon BioWare, make it happen!

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I really liked this perk, and it was the only thing that got me to buy the expansion. Yet, Dragon Age: Inquisition combined with ESO pvp distracted me too much and I only ended up doing a fraction of the leveling I had planned. I don't think I could stomach leveling without that 12x xp perk again, hopefully it's brought back. Otherwise I'll be waiting till the next expansion, sigh.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    People generally want to level with the stories only now.  All those sides quests aren't as interesting after the first time through.  This is why the 12x XP perk is popular.
  • Username_takenUsername_taken Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by Octagon7711

Exactly. I even leveled a fresh character from 1-38 over the final 2 days of 12x. I would've reached 50+ but for work. No side quests, no heroics, no flashpoints. Strictly storyline.

• LeiHngWeiLeiHngWei Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Originally posted by Octagon7711

Ya noticed the flaw to his method too?

Every 15 min. we posted the following info in chat about the 12x event.

1. It starts the moment ya purchase the pre-order. Just restart the game to make sure it kicks in. This was before they added the XP indicator to the XP bar.

2. 12x stacks with Class missions only (bonus missions don't count) + Guild (+10%) + Minor XP Boost (+25% for 1 hour).

3. Take a break every 10ish levels for Heroics/FP/OPs to collect commendations for mods and up-to-date gear.

I'd love 12x to come back next time they have an expansion with a rise in level cap. How about a 6x Class sub only boost?

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I'm really surprised by the responses in the thread and that the power leveling perk is as popular as it is. I thought leveling and the stories would have been a more popular aspect of a Bioware, or most any RPG, game than grinding end game treadmills, but I'm a bit out of touch it seems.

I'm not sure I'll return to the game because I don't really like the way the skill progression and traits work now. I didn't like it in WoW and I don't see why I would like it here. But, with that said, I think they should add a fast track option for those that only like to do end game. Maybe they can sell insta 50s for $35 - $50 like EQ2 and LotRO do.

The benefit of the 12x is to avoid the Grindy feel of side questing. If people don't like grinds for their journey then why assume they want the same for an end game.

if they develop their content for end game to be less grinds then that would be much better.

1. It would be more accessible for players with time constraints  to have little end game grind. Get to try and play different ops

2. More rewarding to get to play other classes

3. Other games would fit along swtor better.

4. Develop content that adds to the game horizontally better- mini games pvp, dynamic events at least for newer content.

they put a lot of effort with discipline system. And it's an easy way to add to the game without adding to the game. Maybe the game is more balanced, and that helps with allowing the game to be less Grindy for pvpers and focus more on the fun combat.

so not just story but also end game should be much less grindy. Amd they should integrate different combat mechanics into story. Why not mix 3d space combat into the progression for SoR story? Could have been the first mission for yavin to gain entry.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    SWTOR leveling is already very fast. So i really don't miss the 12x class XP.  Now if only they give us 12x XP for rep grind i would be very happy. image
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I think that given how popular it was, it'll return in some form sooner or later. Maybe as part of the multi-month subscription plans or something. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/