Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild wars 2's longevity

13»

Comments

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by oboc
    GW2 is doing just fine and will so for many year's ahead. With or without an expansion, it will plug away sucking up people's monies. Don't believe me ? Come back in 3 years and see people talking about how it's still dying. 

Yeah I tend to agree more with this type of posts. Good products are appreciated. Sadly for all the haters, Gw2 is a good product. Too bad they are all self-entitled economists and quite vocal about their mishaps on the internet. Wonder how many of them work at McDonalds... 

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by JackFrosty
    Originally posted by Deivos
    Nah they have an expansion on the way, they already hired on more people last year for it.

There is no expansion on the way.

“However, NCsoft is scheduled to launch an expansion pack for Guild Wars 2 in the US and Europe in 2015.”

Source: http://www.kdbdw.com/bbs/download/182450.pdf?attachmentId=182450

Even ANet admitted earlier that only 20% of their staff had been working on LS content. (All together 4 LS teams.) That's about 70-80 employees out of 350. NCSoft recently announced that they will talk about their plans on expansion packs soon. They usually tell us details when they are close to releasing new content. I'm pretty sure the first expansion pack is on the way and it's due to be annouced very soon. I'm expecting a launch in the forst half of 2015 but that's all my speculations based on information given in 2014.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Originally posted by rertez
    Originally posted by Deivos
    Nah they have an expansion on the way, they already hired on more people last year for it.

There is no expansion on the way.

“However, NCsoft is scheduled to launch an expansion pack for Guild Wars 2 in the US and Europe in 2015.”

Even ANet admitted earlier that only 20% of their staff had been working on LS content. (All together 4 LS teams.) That's about 70-80 employees out of 350. NCSoft recently announced that they will talk about their plans on expansion packs soon. They usually tell us details when they are close to releasing new content. I'm pretty sure the first expansion pack is on the way and it's due to be annouced very soon. I'm expecting a launch in the forst half of 2015 but that's all my speculations based on information given in 2014.

Well that is interesting. Thanks for the post.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Many including myself have said for a long time that they are more than likely to be building an expansion. It's a no brainer - the player base want it, the game needs it, guaranteed to make money, recently took on devs, little content comming out - and those devs are sure as hell building something for their significant salaries.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Source?

Can't

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

The source link is a pdf file from KDB Daewoo Securities Research on February 25, 2014, a company that since december 18, 2012 have predicted an GW2 expansion and first time to be scheduled for 2nd half of 2013.

http://www.kdbdw.com/bbs/board/message/view.do?messageId=182267&messageNumber=25&messageCategoryId=0&startId=zzzzz~&startPage=1&curPage=1&searchType=2&searchText=NCSoft&searchStartYear=2011&searchStartMonth=12&searchStartDay=30&searchEndYear=2012&searchEndMonth=12&searchEndDay=29&lastPageFlag=&categoryId=76

That company seems to be very bad at predicting GW2 expansion.

• gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164
    My, how times have changed, it is not that long ago that if I posted any negative comments about this game I would get banned from writing anything else for a few days. This happened several times, so now (apart from this post) I don't write much at all.
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by Nasa

The source link is a pdf file from KDB Daewoo Securities Research on February 25, 2014, a company that since december 18, 2012 have predicted an GW2 expansion and first time to be scheduled for 2nd half of 2013.

http://www.kdbdw.com/bbs/board/message/view.do?messageId=182267&messageNumber=25&messageCategoryId=0&startId=zzzzz~&startPage=1&curPage=1&searchType=2&searchText=NCSoft&searchStartYear=2011&searchStartMonth=12&searchStartDay=30&searchEndYear=2012&searchEndMonth=12&searchEndDay=29&lastPageFlag=&categoryId=76

That company seems to be very bad at predicting GW2 expansion.

You're right about the previous one but please note that NCSoft responded immediately right after false information was leaked by KDB Daewoo and they cleared the fact that no expansion was planned at that time.

You might want to consider the following statements too because apparently KDB Daewoo Securities is not just a random research company that is "predicting" stuff about NCSoft's business plans but

"As of the publication date, Daewoo Securities Co., Ltd. has acted as a liquidity provider for equity-linked warrants backed by shares of NCsoft as an underlying asset, and other than this, Daewoo Securities has no other special interests in the covered companies. As of the publication date, Daewoo Securities Co., Ltd. issued equity-linked warrants with NCsoft as an underlying asset, and other than this, Daewoo Securities has no other special interests in the covered companies."

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Well, in fact, NCSoft itself has been talking about GW2 expansion pretty much since the first earnings conference call after GW2 release.

That seemed to be the plan.

Then something happened and both NCSoft and Anet stopped talking about an expansion. (My speculation is stronger than expected gem store figures)

Now NCsoft started talking again of GW2 expansion in their earnings conference call.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by gw2fool
    My, how times have changed, it is not that long ago that if I posted any negative comments about this game I would get banned from writing anything else for a few days. This happened several times, so now (apart from this post) I don't write much at all.

You don't get banned for posting negative comments but how many people keep reporting you. Anyways, GW2 has been quite lately and staying dormant. Not much to talk about and living stories doesn't generate much interest around here.

A new expansion would be awesome to generate some interest in GW2 again. 

• pdq2004pdq2004 Member UncommonPosts: 37

I have thoroughly enjoyed this game, as a casual soloer, until I got to the "kill Zhaitan" part of the first personal episode. You are then REQUIRED to get  a group to complete it.  I went in with a group of 3 (no one else responded) and we were soon wiped several times. To quote one of my group mates, "this is too hard". And indeed it was. 

I personally soloed every other part until this. And then was forced to get a group. And later I heard that I HAD  to have a full group in order to complete this part. That sucks big time, especially when I could NOT get a full group.

So I thought I would just go on to the next episode, skipping the first one, and soon found that even the lowliest mobs were a handful while trying to complete the missions. 

That is when I decided to give it up and say the heck with gw2. So sad. Up until that point I had really enjoyed the game.  But guess it is time to move on. 

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279
    Guild Wars 2 is still trying to decide what kind of MMO it wants to be.  

-I am here to perform logic

• MorlewenMorlewen Member UncommonPosts: 45
    NCsoft stated during the last conference that they will reveal their plans in regard to expansion packs for GW2 in the not too far future. There will be something to reveal. But it has not to be an expansion pack many players would expect. It could be packs in gem store or packs in form of seasons. 
    Originally posted by pdq2004

I have thoroughly enjoyed this game, as a casual soloer, until I got to the "kill Zhaitan" part of the first personal episode. You are then REQUIRED to get  a group to complete it.  I went in with a group of 3 (no one else responded) and we were soon wiped several times. To quote one of my group mates, "this is too hard". And indeed it was. 

I personally soloed every other part until this. And then was forced to get a group. And later I heard that I HAD  to have a full group in order to complete this part. That sucks big time, especially when I could NOT get a full group.

So I thought I would just go on to the next episode, skipping the first one, and soon found that even the lowliest mobs were a handful while trying to complete the missions. 

That is when I decided to give it up and say the heck with gw2. So sad. Up until that point I had really enjoyed the game.  But guess it is time to move on. 

You are in the wrong genre my friend. These games aren't meant to be played solo. Please leave.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

You are in the wrong genre my friend. These games aren't meant to be played solo. Please leave.

Self-entitlement much? Who are you to tell me how to play the games I pay for?  

@pdq you probably messed up the mechanics. Arah story mode can be completed with 3 people. No more no less. Especially now after the New Player Experience revamp it is easier than ever. You are basically teleported around Orr. I personally don't like that idea because Orr provided something special. It was a dangerous place and you had to think twice before crossing into new region, trying to find your path. Especially when the game came out and was new and i was running with mixed blue white and rare gear. 

I would suggest you to check a vid on how its done, or read up about it on Dulfy or Gw2 wiki. The encounter does have some frustrating mechanics but if you know how to do them its only time consuming. 

No shame in it, my first story run with shitty gear took 4.5 hours :) 

My latest alt crossed it for 25-30 minutes. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Living story always seemed like water down content for me. More to do with keeping people using the gem shop over playing for the fun of it. They even said that the best return was on customers that play every 2 weeks and so the living story took that move, then season 2 will make the 2 week play model even more firm. IMO they need to add new static content more often. If I have not played in 2 years what is there for me to return to? The current living story. This game dose not play like a MMO with 2 years in the belt. With 2 years of updates you can play and feel like you have more to do then you do time. IMO living story should be there but not the main focus. 
  • KardiamondKardiamond Member UncommonPosts: 52

I happy to see Guild Wards 2 is still going well.

GW2 was probably one of the top MMO I ever played in my life, back to Ultima Online in the good old days.

WvW was one of he best pvp I ever had. The combat mechanism was really fun, you could make a lot of different build, being a PvP guy, PvE wasn't a chore as leveling was pretty fast.

I played for 8 month, which is a rare thing for me, i usually stop after 1-2 month. 

I don't the negative attitude GW2 can get on this forum. Is it perfect? No. But it does a lot better then most MMO. 

Pretty sure it will still be viable in the next years, with WvW you have a lot of replay value.

Originally posted by Leon1e

@pdq you probably messed up the mechanics. Arah story mode can be completed with 3 people. No more no less. Especially now after the New Player Experience revamp it is easier than ever. You are basically teleported around Orr. I personally don't like that idea because Orr provided something special. It was a dangerous place and you had to think twice before crossing into new region, trying to find your path. Especially when the game came out and was new and i was running with mixed blue white and rare gear. 

I would suggest you to check a vid on how its done, or read up about it on Dulfy or Gw2 wiki. The encounter does have some frustrating mechanics but if you know how to do them its only time consuming. 

Your kind is the #1 reason our MMO's have become shit single player games.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Leon1e

Your kind is the #1 reason our MMO's have become shit single player games.

Last I checked they haven't made solo raids in MMOs yet.  I also haven't seen an offline mode, MMO's with out a chat window, or an MMO that doesn't allow you to group.  Nor have I seen a BG or WvW/RvR PVP map designed for one solo person against 5,10,15 others, etc.  Do you mean the ability to kill a single mob solo?  That?  I remember being able to do that back in Neocron, SWG, and on up to present day MMOs going on 12 years now.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Currently i log in once every 2 weeks to unlock new living content for free

might return later to play it too, but not now..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I think GW2 is still kind of shallow for a MMO in terms of features. Maybe the upcoming expansion will change that.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I just read through the 1st couple pages in this thread.

There are a lot of people making stuff up in here.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by Adren
    Does anyone see this game changing in the next 2 years... I really want more then living story. This game has pretty much ruined me for other mmos. But it's lacking. Wish they would tell us what else they are planning to do for this game. It seems like the game is meant for just new ppl and ppl coming and going. It's like the developers were like " don't expect to make this your main mmo." I'm just upset cuz there is no REAL change to this game only thing they seem to have done was add fractals and the guild missions. They could do so much more to this game but they won't do it. The game is called Guild wars. I want gvg Guild halls. 10 man dungeons. They don't need to add gear grind. For 10 mans it could be a competition. 10 man guild fractals. Every week or month each guild goes into the fractals with there 10 ppl and they try to progress as high as they can each level getting harder and harder by the end of the week the guild who progress the most gets there name broadcasted over the server or all servers because of the mega server and win some sort of prize.. I dunno this game has so much potential to be more then what it is now sorry for wall of text I'm typing on my phone. But yea if you don't want gear grind you can at least have competition content for pve as well as pvp

I would say no. They have in their minds a vision and aren't budging much on it. I feel like a lot of the things that made the first game magical aren't there and won't be added. I mean, guild halls and battles, 10 mans, more fractals, etc. I don't see it being added. We'll see what the latest update will turn out to be, but I doubt will be an expansion in the traditional sense. They've proven time and time again they eschew tradition, even at the expense of the game's depth. Even in the first game, they'd add feature that were shallow in comparison to other games. I would say wait and see for the Heart of Thorns announcement details, and after let the game go if it doesn't add what you want. For me, HoT is the defining moment. Ironic, it's the point of no return. 

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by Destai

I would say wait and see for the Heart of Thorns announcement details, and after let the game go if it doesn't add what you want. For me, HoT is the defining moment. Ironic, it's the point of no return. 

^this

For me too. Right now its more keeping my account alive than real playing but for its the details of the upcomming Hot that decide if i will play or drop the game completely.