Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild wars 2's longevity

Comments

• JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by saurus123

they are working on Raids, guild halls and GvG and ofc new expansion

plus LS every 2 weeks

Source?

Right. Cause there is no expansion coming.

Enjoy the living story, thats all your getting.

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

Originally posted by Deivos
    Originally posted by Thupli
    And as far as hiring for an xpac, no, they posted a job for someone with raid experience, likely to improve their work boss encounters. Otherwise, they are hiring to replace. They have Los a TON of staff that were with the game for a long time. High, high turnover rate at ANET.

Actually I mean they were hiring back old employees as well as loading up a new team to address an expansion.

I mean you don't have to believe me and there's functionally no real reason I guess you should when you don't know me and likely lack much information that'd relate to this being the case.

But point being they are working on actual expansion content.

Source?

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    The majorrity of the playerbase wants a real expansion pack once a year...  and are prepared to pay for that...  this is where they fail... fail hard...

But if they did this they would have to stop making new hats and purses for the cash shop :o

• macwoodmacwood Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by JackFrosty

plus LS every 2 weeks

Source?

• ScaredTurtleScaredTurtle Member UncommonPosts: 41
    ANET has a pretty big team. I am 99% sure an expansion annoucnement will be coming soon
  • AdrenAdren Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by ScaredTurtle
    ANET has a pretty big team. I am 99% sure an expansion annoucnement will be coming soon

i hope your right....

Originally posted by macwood

plus LS every 2 weeks

Source?

Products

As of May 14th 2013, there are no current plans for an expansion

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Upcoming_changes_and_features

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Rockard

I'd be surprised if they kept a stuff of 300+ only to
    produce the living story.
    They must be onto something.
    It's definitely not off their table(obligatory Anet answer).
    In the meantime you can enjoy more ways to customize
    your character with items you get by gambling RNG boxes.

I have my doubts that they really have 300+ working on GW2. It wouldn't be the first time they exaggerated a bit...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

The only way this game will EVER get an expansion is if people stop buying crap out of the GEM shop. Want to know why?

Because then they'll be forced to make an expanansion and sell boxes to make money.

But as long as they are milking the GEM shop, why bother with an expansion. It's a lot less work to just give people new hats and purses and feed them the living story then make an expansion.

Lets see, since game launch TWO YEARS AGO

NO new classes

NO new professions

NO new races

ONE new zone in 2 years

GEM STORE: About a 1,000 new items (and thats on the low end)

Where do you think ANETS focus is :P

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

ONE new zone in 2 years

3 new zones.

... and they release 2-3 things in the gem store every 2 weeks.  ._.  You can't possibly count 1,000 items.  Even if you counted all the minis and dyes separately rather than as the packs. (There's 54 dyes, and less than 300 gem store minis... around 60 of which came with the release of the game so don't really count as 'new items', and those are the VAST majority of things released)

I mean, it's more gem store items than it is new professions, certainly, but you can make your point without exaggerating. :)

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

The majority of the player base wants what I want. Why? Because I want it and choose to only notice comments and threads that support my opinion.

End of story!

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

The only way this game will EVER get an expansion is if people stop buying crap out of the GEM shop. Want to know why?

Because then they'll be forced to make an expanansion and sell boxes to make money.

But as long as they are milking the GEM shop, why bother with an expansion. It's a lot less work to just give people new hats and purses and feed them the living story then make an expansion.

Lets see, since game launch TWO YEARS AGO

NO new classes

NO new professions

NO new races

ONE new zone in 2 years

I don't know what's the difference between a class and profession in your mind. They are technically the same thing, fail 3 bullet point list :) as the rest of your post. 

Do we forget all the QoL improvements, the wardrobe, the sPvP revampS. The revamping of maps? The upgrades to WvW? 

Yeah i guess its easier to spew nonsense as a nonplayer. I've said it a hundred times and i'll say it again. Gw2 is a game that is fun for the ones that play it. No more, no less. If you are active, you always can find something new to do. The world gets updates often. 

And the GEM store is not having 1000 new items, that's bullshit and ignorant. They are rehashing old gem store items all the time, like Kasmeer's staff or Marjory's daggers. Things that are not there all the time. 

So .. yeah, go hate somewhere else. Your moaning has no grounds. 

In case that an attribute set is a profession in your weird mind, you know ... there are many attribute sets added to the game with basically every living world update. Latest one introduced being the Sinister's, which makes it great for necromancers. Some other guy was moaning about necroes being totally dull. Yeah ... no. 

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by sonicwhip2
    It's been two years already and most they have done is the meaningless living story and some cosmetic changes and QoL improvements here and there. Don't expect any real content any time soon like a new class, race, continent,etc.

Its the jumping puzzle mmo.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by FomaldehydeJim
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    Longevity of this game won't be a problem. It will be one of those that lasts 10-15 years at least. The game is just good.

Well, regular cashflow is quite a requirement for that to happen; and they forgot how to do that since GW1 it seems. 

GW2  quarters without expansions surpass those of GW1 with expansions.  

Guild Wars Factions was released April 2006. The 2Q06 (April-June) GW revenue was $14.7M.

3Q14 saw GW2 revenue of $17.6M  which was GW2 worst quarter to the date.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• jcsadonejcsadone Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

I left the game long ago.

Its a great game but it misses one big point of RPG games : Progression

There is absolutely no progression in the game. You reach max level in a week. You can buy basically best equipment.

And than there is no progression any more.

Sure you can grind for some minor cosmetic benefits , and thats it.

So, yes. Its all well, but no point.

And judging from experience so far. And apsolute panic they get when ever anyone asks them for future plans.

I think nothing is really in store.

the gif under Your post - tell me it's an actual sidescrolling 2D RPG, that is coming! :D

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Originally posted by observer
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

I left the game long ago.

Its a great game but it misses one big point of RPG games : Progression

There is absolutely no progression in the game. You reach max level in a week. You can buy basically best equipment.

And than there is no progression any more.

Sure you can grind for some minor cosmetic benefits , and thats it.

So, yes. Its all well, but no point.

And judging from experience so far. And apsolute panic they get when ever anyone asks them for future plans.

I think nothing is really in store.

Getting your character into full Ascended Gear is plenty of progression.

It's not needed though.  Exotics are just fine.  They are easier to craft, obtain from loot, and cheaper to buy.

The problem with Ascended, is that it takes too much effort for little stat gains.  You also cannot change the stats on them, which makes it even less appealing.  At least with exotics, you can craft a whole other set such as Valkyrie or Berserker, with a fraction of the cost and time it would take to make another Ascended set.

As far as the longevity of the game, it ended around 6 months ago for me.  The endgame of GW2 is the living story, and the devs are intent on keeping it that way.  Until they make the living story irrelevant or scrap it altogether, i won't be going back.  It's not interesting enough to keep playing.

That was exactly the point. Exotics are just fine for casuals who just want to enjoy the game. People like myself who are true MMO players know that the "little stat" gain you speak of is not so little at all. A 5% increase in stats which makes a huge difference in an MMO.

• jcsadonejcsadone Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by Leon1e

I don't know what's the difference between a class and profession in your mind. They are technically the same thing, fail 3 bullet point list :) as the rest of your post. 

Do we forget all the QoL improvements, the wardrobe, the sPvP revampS. The revamping of maps? The upgrades to WvW? 

Yeah i guess its easier to spew nonsense as a nonplayer. I've said it a hundred times and i'll say it again. Gw2 is a game that is fun for the ones that play it. No more, no less. If you are active, you always can find something new to do. The world gets updates often. 

And the GEM store is not having 1000 new items, that's bullshit and ignorant. They are rehashing old gem store items all the time, like Kasmeer's staff or Marjory's daggers. Things that are not there all the time. 

So .. yeah, go hate somewhere else. Your moaning has no grounds. 

In case that an attribute set is a profession in your weird mind, you know ... there are many attribute sets added to the game with basically every living world update. Latest one introduced being the Sinister's, which makes it great for necromancers. Some other guy was moaning about necroes being totally dull. Yeah ... no. 

GW2 class and profession difference:

Class - Warrior, Elementalist, Mesmer etc. You pick one on character creation screen, along with race, genderm looks...

Proffesion - Armorsmith, Chef, Tailor. You learn any given for small fee (only 2 active) to make the crafting magic. Not that GW2 have interesting crafting system - it's fun at the begining, but complitly lack of any substance to it.

About rest - hard to tell. I actually left GW2 because it became game not for me. With every update it's going further aways from the product I paid to get. As You wrote "If you are active, you always can find something new to do" - that is complitly not true for me. After 2 years I have nothing to do, except new LS that I don't like in the first place. But hey - de gustibus non disputandum est. I'm not forcing anyone to leave the game, because I don't like it. Just to say there is always stuff to do is big overstatment.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

I got a secret hope that gw2 could turn into a real mmorpg. When I wander around in Gw2 doing my solo thing, I keep thinking to myself, if only this world hosted a better game, a real mmorpg, there would be no contenders.

They got the tech and the team, they got a good base game to build on and they got player numbers. All it takes now is balls to change direction, make the changes that is needed to make the experience interesting and exciting, giving players a reason to enjoy the beautiful world.. taking a step away from the dreaded themepark formula and trying to make the game a world for players. Gw2 is not that far away, they got all the building blocks, all they need is a change in philosophy and use it slightly different.. changing mindset however is the hardest epic battle of them all.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

It is nice to see that I am not the only one thinking that they will never make an expansion. JackFrosty added some good points.

There are some stuff that many expect from expansion like new class and/or race, but this will be a problem here.

New race: The data shows that more than 50% of characters are humans or norn(big human) with human having the clear bigger numbers. So the 3 other races are less than 50%. Low chance that many characters will be of any new race.

New class: This will just add to the balancing problem with all the new skills from that class. They want to avoid using time on balancing.

They should be careful with big changes to the core of the game. I think they dont want to repeat the NGE failure in SWG.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Guild Wars 2, while it is a well-made game, is the McDonalds of the MMO world. Hit the drive-thru, get a lvl 80 dropped in your lap, then come back tomorrow for another one. 

One cannot expect longevity in an MMO when it takes 20 hours of play time to hit cap and then have nothing to look forward to other than horizontal progression. Heh, horizontal progression....does that even make sense?

Joined - July 2004

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by Adren
    Does anyone see this game changing in the next 2 years... I really want more then living story. This game has pretty much ruined me for other mmos. But it's lacking. Wish they would tell us what else they are planning to do for this game. It seems like the game is meant for just new ppl and ppl coming and going. It's like the developers were like " don't expect to make this your main mmo." I'm just upset cuz there is no REAL change to this game only thing they seem to have done was add fractals and the guild missions. They could do so much more to this game but they won't do it. The game is called Guild wars. I want gvg Guild halls. 10 man dungeons. They don't need to add gear grind. For 10 mans it could be a competition. 10 man guild fractals. Every week or month each guild goes into the fractals with there 10 ppl and they try to progress as high as they can each level getting harder and harder by the end of the week the guild who progress the most gets there name broadcasted over the server or all servers because of the mega server and win some sort of prize.. I dunno this game has so much potential to be more then what it is now sorry for wall of text I'm typing on my phone. But yea if you don't want gear grind you can at least have competition content for pve as well as pvp

I don't expect ArenaNet to make this game more fleshed out. They have in their heads a vision that no choir of requests can change. It's already been 2 years and we've had only trickles of content. The way I see it, they've a hard time distinguishing between grind and actual fun RPG game modes, between challenging and annoying. They don't want to adhere even slightly to people's expectations. It's a shame really - they have a great core game here. They also have a lot of quality of life changes in there, one's that I miss when I play in other games. While some of the changes and additions have been good, they're still minute. 

• TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208

This unfortunately is a good point.

Until people give them a reason to make an expansion ( ie financial gain instead of revenue from the gem store) I think they will just continue with the model they have.

• bostonjonbostonjon Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Deivos
    Nah they have an expansion on the way, they already hired on more people last year for it.

There is no expansion on the way.

well in the most recent earnings call they said and ill paraphrase 'now that the game is two years old, they will be talking about expansion plans soon'.   sounds like an expansion to me.  so there's that, of course this wont change your mind.   

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by TheGoblinKing

This unfortunately is a good point.

Until people give them a reason to make an expansion ( ie financial gain instead of revenue from the gem store) I think they will just continue with the model they have.

Nope. That's how a game studio gets shut down. Get your facts straight.

• obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189
    GW2 is doing just fine and will so for many year's ahead. With or without an expansion, it will plug away sucking up people's monies. Don't believe me ? Come back in 3 years and see people talking about how it's still dying.