Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I would sub instantly if they had a non cash shop server.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I still find Archeage interesting. I've never played it because of the tainted corruption from day one.  

I would love to pay the sub fee, heck, I would even pay up to $60 for a digital download....THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE....Anything less is just nasty business practice.

Games often start off being sub based then F2P.  Well sets see it in reverse !!

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    I'm not sure the cash shop is really anywhere near the top of the list in terms of gameplay impacting issues.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by delete5230

I still find Archeage interesting. I've never played it because of the tainted corruption from day one.  

I would love to pay the sub fee, heck, I would even pay up to $60 for a digital download....THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE....Anything less is just nasty business practice.

This will never happen. It would mean TRION would actually have to do work and balance the game and provide real customer support.

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The game originally launched (in Korea) as a P2P sub game, but was converted to full freemium monetisation not long after launch.

Obviously, XLGames were not happy with the revenue generated by the subscription-only model, so it's highly unlikely that they'll be returning to it.

• JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

The game originally launched (in Korea) as a P2P sub game, but was converted to full freemium monetisation not long after launch.

Obviously, XLGames were not happy with the revenue generated by the subscription-only model, so it's highly unlikely that they'll be returning to it.

True, but we aren't Koreans, and this isn't Korea.

North American's are sick of being nickeled & dimed & scammed to death with fail2play games.

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by JackFrosty

North American's are sick of being nickeled & dimed & scammed to death with fail2play games.

That may be true, seeing as North Americans seem to have been very enthusiastic supporters of Cash Shop driven games. After all, they spend more per capita in Cash Shops than players in any other region of the world !

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    If it had a competent ethical publisher and a sub only option, maybe. With Trion, not a chance.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

SO you never even tried a game that is right up your alley (based on your posts here) because you get it for free?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Never going to happen. Unless you're WoW, as implied by the Super Data study posted here, it's more profitable developing your game so that it caters to getting a few select whales regardless of what's actually good for the long term fun, health, and life of the game to give you nigh unlimited amounts of money, and that gives a ton more revenue than going sub while also being a ton less effort and a much more standard science.  XLGames already learned that long ago when they switched the game from a sub model to an F2P model in the first place.  Trion already learned that long ago too when they switched Rift from a sub model to an F2P model (and given the trend and direction their business strategy has been going, they clearly realized it more and more as they made the cash shop in their games more and more "pay-to-advantage/win/whatever" as time went on).
  • ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

If I were Trion I would do exactly that:

Open 2 new servers without cashshop.

Enable charactertransfer to those servers from any other (for only 149 bucks)

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Since you haven't played this game, you have no idea how silly your statement is.

Subscription or not, cash shop or not, you can't magically create land for everyone to own when the game was never coded for it.

What you are really asking for is a complete rewrite of the game, might as well ask for an entirely different game. 

The downfall of AA has zero to do with it being a F2P game... but everyone just loves to use their favorite scapegoat to explain the downfall of yet another MMO.  The game was poorly coded from the start.  No amount of cash you throw at it is going to change that.

• TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Pepeq

Since you haven't played this game, you have no idea how silly your statement is.

Subscription or not, cash shop or not, you can't magically create land for everyone to own when the game was never coded for it.

What you are really asking for is a complete rewrite of the game, might as well ask for an entirely different game. 

The downfall of AA has zero to do with it being a F2P game... but everyone just loves to use their favorite scapegoat to explain the downfall of yet another MMO.  The game was poorly coded from the start.  No amount of cash you throw at it is going to change that.

Actually the worst thing you can do to any sandbox is destablize the economy and thats exactly what TRION did repeatedly through the cash shop.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

The game isn't a sand box.

The game is F2P and I still don't play it.

Adding a sub to the game as is would not make it better.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

If you (and others) were willing to pay the difference between F2P + Sub + MicroTransactions and P2P + Sub, no one would hesitate taking your money. However, as it would likely be $50k USD per month, per person for an empty server, it just hasn't happened yet. All that is needed to make it happen is the commitment + money.  Go for it!

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Allods online a f2p game, open a sub only server, right now is not doing so hot for months, not saying Arche Age will end up same way, But if they made a sub server for Arche Age most the items and other stuff will be put on a bigger wall grind, then the f2p it self to keep people playing for that sub fee.

But right now I don't see a sub server making it, do to tons of hate around arche age, and most mmo that came out that is sub trying keep there number up after mass about drop off they had.

Sub market is not dead, just no good options for them to jump in a sub market unless there aiming to take wow sub, like FF14 doing with there new flying mounts.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I don't think AA was ever intended to be a B2P game, as there are some items only available in the shop that many folks would consider essential (looking at you, worker's compensation).

You could level the playing field by removing those items but then AA would not be the cutthroat PvP game it is intended to be.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Superman0X

If you (and others) were willing to pay the difference between F2P + Sub + MicroTransactions and P2P + Sub, no one would hesitate taking your money. However, as it would likely be $50k USD per month, per person for an empty server, it just hasn't happened yet. All that is needed to make it happen is the commitment + money.  Go for it!

Well, $50 a month per account is a bit steep, but I would easily pay $25 or $30 a month for a "premium service" server were it to have benefits that I think are worthwhile.  (active, strong, online moderation being one of them).

Heck, make the benefits enough, you could probably get $50 a month from me.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165

This is something that I wish all MMO's would do, P2P and F2P servers. You buy the base game and pay $15-$20 a month, you're put on a P2P server without a cash shop, otherwise, have fun on your F2P server.

That's one reason why I'm hesitant on playing EQN with their F2P model. I'll gladly pay SOE a monthly fee to get rid of their cash shops on a server as long as they include cash shop items as in game drops.

This industry is really due for a subscription price increase anyways. When was the last one? UO started at $9.99 monthly same with AC, EQ started at $9.89 and I can't recall who was the first to jump to $14.99, but that had to be about 15 years ago. I'll gladly pay $20 a month for the right MMO.

• ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Please Trion, just one server? That would be a good marketing strategy and I would restart for it.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by JackFrosty

So you are speaking for the entire North American playerbase now. Can you just drop the pretense and say I instead of we?

Besides you praising the F2P model because you have apparently figured out how to take advantage of the system and other players, I have basically been reading nothing but complaints about it.  He speaks for most of the players I'm sure.  Except the penniless who would of course rather play it as a free to play over not at all.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Enbysra
    Originally posted by Jaedor

I don't think AA was ever intended to be a B2P game, as there are some items only available in the shop that many folks would consider essential (looking at you, worker's compensation).

You could level the playing field by removing those items but then AA would not be the cutthroat PvP game it is intended to be.

Actually, ArcheAge was originally a subscription game in Korea. I forget what the exact reason was (I know I have seen an article on it a good 2 months or so ago, and I can not seem to find it again at the moment), it may or may not have been doing poorly. MMORPG's in Asia do not generally go F2P because they are doing poorly, F2P is really just the predominant trend. Whether or not it was doing poorly, the companies in the industry know they make more money by having a "free to play" business model, particularly as they are implemented the majority of the time. That likely had a contributing factor to the change originally, but not necessarily.

The article I read on the topic said it struggled to retain enough subscription players.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Trion should just drop AA and either focus more on what they have or just create an AA like title themselves. Its too risky dealing with developers when you're used to dealing with issues on your own time-table and not relying on someone else to fix issues.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    Trion should just drop AA and either focus more on what they have or just create an AA like title themselves. Its too risky dealing with developers when you're used to dealing with issues on your own time-table and not relying on someone else to fix issues.

I agree 100%....And without a cash shop.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Just wanted to stop by and throw my hat into this saying, I'd definitely play AA again on a new server, untainted by marketplace dupes, without any p2w crap.  Thats it.  Just the game in a pure form.  I'd be twice as inclined to play if said server removed the luck factor in progressing your character.  Those two things killed AA for me, and the 30 other people I played with.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I would not even consider subscribing to the game. It's full of bots, unresolved exploits and hacks... I even bought the alpha package for €135, enjoyed the (pretty clean) gameplay for those 8 months or so, but at the end the mentioned problems kinda killed it for me :(