Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: The Great MMO Face-Off of 2014

Comments

• KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

The hardest decision was TESO vs. Wildstar.

Both so disappointing.

I'm surprised Wildstar was even remembered, let alone considered to be in a poll. lol.

• GuliesGulies Member UncommonPosts: 4
    UO CANNOT LOSE!

It is what it is!

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Mikikoto
    I fail to see how GW2 is beating ARR. ARR has been solid out the gates and still pumping content with little to no downfalls. 

In the West GW2 is more popular.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • DocFallujahDocFallujah Member Posts: 1
    IM going to venture to say that if any game can beat WOW it would be Destiny. Not because it has more people as i don't know, but because it is on 4 Consoles, which reaches a larger group of people, that WOW doesn't have(meaning they play destiny more than they would play WOW).
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Mikikoto
    I fail to see how GW2 is beating ARR. ARR has been solid out the gates and still pumping content with little to no downfalls. 

Exactly. For me personally GW2 is the best example of an MMO I don't want to play never again.

• ealelasealelas Member Posts: 1
    Choosing between FF14 and GW2 was so tough for me :/ both are really good games D:
  • DimmerMeerDimmerMeer Member Posts: 2

Wow, that certainly is very random. Poor Aion, having to stand up against a fan favorite like LotRO. A lot of my friends in Aion actually came from LotRO.

FFXIV has a hard fight ahead of itself, but I'm happy to see it's keeping up the steam against GW2. I'm just not a fan of the GW franchise.

ArcheAge is doing great against DarkFall... But honestly, I've never heard of DarkFall until now. It's good to see they've pit niche against niche in this case though, it seems.

Anyway, to the earlier debate between AA and DF about sandboxes... I think the term is horribly arbitrary. Both claim to be sandboxes, and both have players who either defend or dismiss those claims while they play the game. I think it's a simple buzzword to get people excited that the game might have many, many features, and unique bits of gameplay to them. Seems that all MMORPGs have some form of progression in them. Anyway, they weren't matched against each other because of degrees of sandboxiness. They were matched together because somebody pulled their names out of a hat.

My argument for ArcheAge against what I've seen of DarkFall thus far would be: Graphics and animation. I'm really picky about how my games look. If it's ugly and has amazing gameplay, I can't play it. If it's pretty and has its faults (but is still playable), I'm a long-term fan. This is why I could never get in to WoW. I didn't like the art style, and when it came out, I had been playing the (more aesthetically pleasing imo) FFXI. And, this is why I don't think I could ever play DarkFall. It's just... ugly looking to me.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222
    Darkfall is basically the hardcore MMORPG that sandbox and PVPers claim they want, but really don't.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• blutm8blutm8 Member UncommonPosts: 86
    i dont get it.. you really cant compare those games with each other...
  • MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Where is FFXI in the vet catagory? Anarchy Online vs FFXI? Strange there we so few vets to choose from and 2 of them was missed completely.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    I am in physical pain from having to choose between GW2 and ARR. Ugh.
  • VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177
    AC vs Runescape lol..... you can tell everyone who voted runescape more than likely never played AC.
  • MrLee95MrLee95 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    How is ESO beating out Wildstar!?!?!? 
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

GUILD WARS 2 BABY!!!!!!

Until we meet  up with WoW :D

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    GO GW2 and Runescape!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Just wondering about a single result, how can people vote runescape is better then asherons call

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• FanOfSupermanFanOfSuperman Member UncommonPosts: 144

The toughest choice for me in that list was:

Aion vs LOTRO

But in the end I had to go LOTRO.

• mozepymozepy Member Posts: 6

It really is a shame DCUO is not on here. It's beats many of the big guys in character creation in both aesthetics and gameplay choices. And there are games like Marvel that really shouldn't be on here.

It's also more active than many of these.

Put DCUO up!!! 

• Zaphkiel42Zaphkiel42 Member Posts: 1
    Why the hell is FFXI not on this list? Not only was it the first ever cross platform MMORPG but it actually surpassed Everquest's sub number before WoW came out and is still going to this day, on a subscription model no less. There's really no justification for leaving it off.
    Originally posted by Zaphkiel42
    Why the hell is FFXI not on this list? Not only was it the first ever cross platform MMORPG but it actually surpassed Everquest's sub number before WoW came out and is still going to this day, on a subscription model no less. There's really no justification for leaving it off.

I keep wondering if there was round before this one. If not then did a monkey choose names from a hat? Or maybe somebody who has no concept of the industry.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Why is Destiny and Marvel Heroes even on there, they arent even MMO's are they?
  • iGumballStariGumballStar Member UncommonPosts: 106
    This may as well end up with GW2 vs WoW in the finals.
  • DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Originally posted by trancejeremy
    Darkfall is basically the hardcore MMORPG that sandbox and PVPers claim they want, but really don't.

Don't try to lump the two together.  Just because I will only play an MMO with PvP doesn't mean that I want to spend my time playing Full Loot PvP, that just bums me out.  Lots of PvPers are in the same camp as me I'm sure, since I have talked to a great deal of them in games I have played.  I very much prefer EQ's old Zek ruleset, loot one item from your kills.  I don't mind some sort of setback but I don't want to be severely punished because I got killed by a gank squad.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

where is Ryzom?

Originally posted by Effin_Rabbit
    Why is Destiny and Marvel Heroes even on there, they arent even MMO's are they?

Don't know about Destiny. To me there are 2 main elements to an MMO: a persistent  world and custom avatars, to a point where you have reasonable chance to create a unique identity. If you don't have those you can make an argument that almost any game with an online multi player element is an MMO. I'd like to know what their criteria is.