Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: The Great MMO Face-Off of 2014

Comments

• vusak11vusak11 Member Posts: 1
    I can't vote on either TESO or Wildstar. I love them both! :(
  • Ambrose99Ambrose99 Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Aeander

Eesh, the bracket setups are going to create quite a few sad scenarios. Like with GW2 and ARR, they're both worthy titles and it's sad to see either knock out the other this early.

I agree. It should've at least been seeded. Seeding creates the most fair results, imo. 

Would've done the Newbie list more like:

GW2 vs Trove, FFXIV vs Firefall, Destiny vs Darkfall, SWTOR vs Defiance, TESO vs Planetside 2, ArcheAge vs Marvel Heroes, Rift vs Neverwinter, TSW vs WS. But yeah, seeing a matchup of GW2 vs FFXIV in the first round, that should be a Final 4 type matchup. 

• presidentnegpresidentneg Member Posts: 19
    Wildstar felt like a cheapo f2p game little to no immersion at all and the character creation faces didn't help either.

• GuliesGulies Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Come on DAoC you got this (: RvR, enough said.

It is what it is!

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I'm sure its been said many times but these matchups don't quite make much sense, it will all come down to a popularity contest. Which is by all means fine,  but this was supposed to have legit categories.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• runies4lyferunies4lyfe Member Posts: 1
    Lets go Runies!!!!
  • Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    ASHERON'S CALL FTW :) oh the memories
  • VolnusVolnus Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I am sorry but hell to the no.. Destiny is not a mmo... It would have been better if we compared Global Agenda to FireFall.. 
  • Where is Final Fantasy XI? ¬_¬
  • PurefunkPurefunk Member Posts: 1
    Where in the hell is SWG? Star Wars Galaxies was an awesome game and deserves to be on the list somewhere. I enjoyed some great times in SWG from 1v1 pvp battles in the middle of nowhere to 50 v 50 pvp wars. And all the while you could have real player bounty hunters coming after you at any time. Have never seen that in a game since.
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Runescape & Asherons call are 50% each, amazing.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by emota

Ewww, Archeage vs DF, DF is.a proper sandbox, AA is well, cringe worthy.

DF is a proper sandbox???

If proper is defined as NOT AT ALL - then you'd be correct.

DF is not a sandbox period - what tools are given to players to make it a sandbox??

AA is not a sandbox either - just to get that out of the way.

Sandbox =/= Minecraft.

Darkfall is sandbox because it has no levels, and as such no level bracketted leveling zones, it has a strong crafting component and great housing mechanics and territorial conflict through conquering keeps. 

No levels and no bracketted zones has nothing to do with sandbox.

Sandbox = players are given tools to change gameplay in a permanent way

Minecraft is a good example of sandbox because a ton of tools are given to players to create all types of gameplay

DF has territory control as the only sandboxish feature, crafting in DF is not really sandboxy IMO

Again DF has far too few sandbox features (like 1) to be called a sandbox - if DF is a sandbox than every game that has crafting and territory control is a sandbox

Sorry DM, but you are on the losing end here.  DF is most certainly a sandbox.  I don't grasp where you got the idea that you have to be able to change the game world to be a sandbox because I have never seen that in any sandbox definition.  Some sandboxes do let you do that, but it is not a basic requirement.

The difference between a sandbox and a themepark, a sand box has no classes, it is skill based.  It is also open ended, you basically can do anything you want, you are not tied down to a series of quest lines.   I think you are getting way too specific here.

So Trove is not a sandbox game according to your definition as it HAS classes and is NOT skill based.

And I am being too specific?

The degree of how much a game is a sandbox is determined how many tools are given to players to create/change and impact the game in a meaningful way.

That is the CORE aspect of a sandbox - if you are not given any tools to play in the sand - the entire sandbox is pointless.

Classes, skills and other systems can exist or not in a sandbox game - you can have an open ended non-linear game with classes and set skills.

According to your definition, there has never been a sandbox ever except for Minecraft.

The entire point of a sandbox is freedom to choose.  Please explain how a class system allows any kind of freedom of choice for character development?  Right it does not.  Having class structures in a game is just done because lazy developers don't want to attempt balancing a skill system.  Classes in any game immediately eliminates the major point of a sandbox, the ability to develop your character as you like.    As to EQNext andTrove, definitely not a sandbox.  SOE  and Trion do not grasp the concept.   Just because you can minecraft the environment does not make it a sandbox because your character development is severly restricted by the class system.

• bangggg4444bangggg4444 Member Posts: 1
    Runescape should win. Best game EVER invented.
  • MikikotoMikikoto Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I fail to see how GW2 is beating ARR. ARR has been solid out the gates and still pumping content with little to no downfalls. 
  • So theres 2 Guild Wars games on here, 2 EverQuest games, Runescape, and Champions Online.. but no Ragnarok Online? Your picks for this competition are flawed as fuck.
  • Originally posted by bangggg4444
    Runescape should win. Best game EVER invented.

Get a life will ya? Stop making new accounts just to complain that a poll based on opinions are not going your way...

• Rithic3Rithic3 Member Posts: 1
    Vote RUNESCAPE! 07 is getting better guys.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Most odd matchups ever...like...ever...made no sense...plus how could SWG not be in there.  Would have made sense to have things like:

Darkfall vs L2 (two hardcore pvp games)

SWTOR vs SWG

etc...do some research guys...come on....

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• SikksensSikksens Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Defiance vs Planetside 2 so much why
  • bulrog099bulrog099 Member Posts: 1
    Runescape vote is too close
  • armyofcarrionarmyofcarrion Member Posts: 1

Validly Played characters & time in game is the real winner for this.

As I know many people voting never installed several of these games.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by bulrog099
    Runescape vote is too close

yep Asheron's Call should be detroying it.

• SkeahSkeah Member Posts: 1
    I think you forgot FFXI isnt ?  More than ten years online...
  • AuskingdomAuskingdom Member Posts: 1
    Runecape 4 life!!
  • mozepymozepy Member Posts: 6
    Does Marvel even count? It's just a Diablo clone. It has premade characters!