Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old gamer looking for relaxing mmorpg

cd_bluecd_blue Member UncommonPosts: 14

I have been out of MMORPG scene for a really long time. I am thinking about getting back into it but I think my dungeon grinding/raiding days have past me.

As I have gotten older ive  gotten more into games like Minecraft, Mount and Blade, type open ended sandbox games. So thought I would see what suggestions there might be out there.

I really don't much care about grinding for gear at all. I was doing all that pre-Kunark EQ and for many years later heh.

What I am looking for more is something to play while kicking back, listening to music, and just relaxing. Game based around crafting, exploration, getting achievements, collecting pets, etc etc.

To give rough idea... When left WoW many years ago most my time I spent collecting mounts/companions, had every tradeskill maxed (made ton of gold which I also found fun), mined when I was bored and wanted to just chill, and farmed old dungeons just for sake of it. I spent vast amount of my time either play with my wife or just solo (mostly solo)

Just thought ask see perhaps what was out there. Was considering Trove but not so sure about it. Also I don't care if it's F2P or not. Actually do like subscription model better but with that said F2P would be fine :)

Also want to stay away from forced pvp

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Comments

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but you could try Therian Saga. It's a sandbox, browser, crafting game thats f2p. Crafting is the main attraction of this game and it is slow paced. I've been playing for a few months and still enjoying it.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    You can give Rift a try have many and many stuff to do what you may be looking for with out needed to pay or rushed, can take some time to do what Rift have to offer in the game. Is not really sandbox game, but you can do what ever you like at your own time.
  • AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

I would look into Elder Scrolls Online (ESO).  It has interesting crafting, plenty of exploration and seems (to me) to be a game you can just putter around in while relaxing, discovering nodes to farm or chests to open.

If I were you I would look into that game.  Best of luck.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Also agree on ESO, if you like great lore and quality storytelling/questing eso is the best there is (crafting is awesome too)

An alternate is LOTR - really nice atmosphere in game.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• rhan101277rhan101277 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Ryzom is good, it is more difficult that other games and it is older.  I'm enjoying it.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Eq next landmark...

if you like minecraft, you sure are gonna love this, and it might get you in tune fro EQ next itselves

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    As someone else mentioned, LOTRO. It is more story driven and seems to have a more adult player population.  The controls and movement are a tad clunky, but the rest of the game is very solid. No open world PvP so you don't have to sit on the edge of your seat while trying to relax :).

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• rochristrochrist Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I think LotRO and EQ2 would be good to check out. Both have sub-free and subscription options. So you could download and check them out for free and subscribe later if you felt like it or thought it would benefit how you play.

Both have content that can be worked through solo or with a friend or two. They both have a heavy emphasis on crafting. EQ2 has a greater emphasis on collections and an incredibly robust housing system. LotRO has a great social community if you enjoy roleplaying.

I would recommend trying EQ2 first and then LotRO.

I second LotRO. It's a very relaxing game. Beautiful and expansive scenery to boot.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    LOTRO is your game. The "progress" is not based on raids. Lots of classes. Tons of deeds to grind. No sub pressure. Scalable instances which you can solo for fun or group for a challenge. "Best gear" does not come from dungeons or raids. No "guild progression" pressure. Mature and decent community. Beautiful and MASSIVE world to explore.
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419

A solid vote for LOTRO.  Lots of deeds to collect, good community, good crafting, vast open world to explore, excellent lore.  With the exception of a few 3/6/12 man dungeons, the entire game is soloable.   Landscapes vary greatly and the game narrative slowly carries you to the war front as the story of the Lord of the Rings unfolds.  Anyone who enjoys collecting can spend a very long time collecting all the deeds LOTRO has.  In addition, festivals have more deeds, mounts, housing items and cosmetics to acquire.   Free or sub, with parts of the game locked to free, but unlockable with Turbine Points, which you can acquire in-game through accomplishing deeds. 

• krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

I suggest Project Gorgon. Its in development , is free during this pre alpha testing phase and has no cash store.

Crafting, Exploring, no forced pvp,  and tons of lore and fun! < like fighting a skeleton , it stopped fighting me and said " I'm tired of this! " then walked away, i couldn't stop laughing!  You don't level your character like other MMO's, you level your skills by doing them.

Reminds me of the fun i had in old EQ 1 when it released, minus all the server crashes and downtime, rofl.  

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    I like Diablo 3 for mindless arpg fun.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by cd_blue

What I am looking for more is something to play while kicking back, listening to music, and just relaxing. Game based around crafting, exploration, getting achievements, collecting pets, etc etc.

Based on those lines I'd second (or 5th? :) ) LotRO too. Great music (not just the OST, but player music as well), relaxing gameplay, mature and nice community, huge area to explre, truckload of "achievments": deeds, titles, mounts for collecting, and since Fangorn cosmetic pets as well, more and more of those added with every update (sadly, imo, but I admit, some of those pets are cool)

Game based around crafting is not a perfect fit though, crafting is "just" an important part. You can level your character strictly by crafting (very slowly), and crafting is highly needed for the endgame and at the level cap, but I wouldn't say the game is based around crafting...

Not only the forced one, you can stay away from every pvp entirely :) It was only a post-launch addition to the game, totally optional and if you want, you can easily forget it even exists.
  • damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Try a tale in the dessert. That sounds right up your alley.
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

I have been out of MMORPG scene for a really long time. I am thinking about getting back into it but I think my dungeon grinding/raiding days have past me.

... spent collecting mounts/companions, had every tradeskill maxed (made ton of gold which I also found fun), mined when I was bored and wanted to just chill, and farmed old dungeons just for sake of it. I spent vast amount of my time either play with my wife or just solo (mostly solo)

Just thought ask see perhaps what was out there. Was considering Trove but not so sure about it. Also I don't care if it's F2P or not. Actually do like subscription model better but with that said F2P would be fine :)

Guild Wars 2, hands down.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Guild wars 2 or ESO.

Either should fit your needs nicely. I prefer ESO just for the setting & lore, but GW2 is a great casual game as well.

• cd_bluecd_blue Member UncommonPosts: 14

Thanks everyone for the reponses really appreciate it :) Downloading few of them now.
    Project Gorgon seems like very interesting game at least as a side game for certain.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    try shroud of the avatar,the developer that made all the ultimas.
  • jaiceafjaiceaf Member Posts: 46
    A solid vote for Project Gorgon. I've been playing 3 days and I'm hooked. Classic old school feel, coupled with lots of exploration / figure it out yourself mechanics. No hand holding, yet so easy to become side tracked with so many things to do from the second you start.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    People will scoff at this suggestion, but a career as a miner, industrialist, mission runner in EVE would well meet most of your criteria.

Sorry, no pets, though some folks collect the corpses of the players they pod kill.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RotgrubRotgrub Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited October 2020
    Hello,  From an old dude who has been there and tried that...... Wurm 
    Post edited by Rotgrub on
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

10th-ing the LOTRO suggestion for all the reasons everyone has already mentioned, plus one I didn't see mentioned: The Secret World.

It's not the usual mmo in several ways, and I was able to solo everything but the high end content. I was very immersed in the fantastic lore, problem-solving the variable missions and the flexibility of the skill wheel for trying our different builds and playing however you'd like.

I keep TSW on my pc for the times when I want something very different.

• NuzanNuzan Member UncommonPosts: 33

Ryzom may be an appropriate game. It is a sandbox game, quite old but still alive. The setting is quite unusual, a kind of science fantasy with four playable races on a living plant planet. There are five countries to explore with landscapes changing during seasons, daylight and nighttime cycle and weather. Gameplay is a sandbox around hunting and foraging material and crafting since every gear is plaver made. Exploring the country, watching herds of animals wandering around while prospecting and digging material sources makes a great part of the gameplay. Digging for material and watching the daytimes passing by while listening to the natural sounds can be quite relaxing. Leveling is classless, skills can be leveled by doing them. Player community is friendly and helpful and likes to chat. Pvp is possible but not enforced.

An informative Ryzom blog can be found here http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Jianyu/012010/5629_Getting-Started-in-Ryzom

and a description about the crafting system http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/katriell/052009/3747_How-crafting-in-Ryzom-works.

Home page is here: http://ryzom.com/

Maybe see you on the rootball!

Oren fyrai, Nuzanshi from the fyros desert folks

• Cylon1337Cylon1337 Member UncommonPosts: 7

As I have gotten older ive  gotten more into games like Minecraft, Mount and Blade, type open ended sandbox games. So thought I would see what suggestions there might be out there.

I really don't much care about grinding for gear at all. I was doing all that pre-Kunark EQ and for many years later heh.

To give rough idea... When left WoW many years ago most my time I spent collecting mounts/companions, had every tradeskill maxed (made ton of gold which I also found fun), mined when I was bored and wanted to just chill, and farmed old dungeons just for sake of it. I spent vast amount of my time either play with my wife or just solo (mostly solo)

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

I know of the perfect game for you, check out RuneScape @ www.runescape.com 

It has crafting, mining, woodcutting and more! Everything your looking for and more! 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    People will scoff at this suggestion, but a career as a miner, industrialist, mission runner in EVE would well meet most of your criteria.

Sorry, no pets, though some folks collect the corpses of the players they pod kill.

I wouldn't scoff.  EVE is the first that came to mind when I read the OP and seems to be the perfect fit except like you said, no pets. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor