Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Landmark technollogy

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I personally think the landmark technollogy of crafting things is incredible..

i think SOE should sell it as an engine, i am sure it will work miracles for social world games like 2nd live.....

if they add tooling so players can create characters and annimations on top of that... It will even get better..

and then add a good scripting tool...

which will allow people to create their own virtuall worlds and enjoy them with their friends, does SOE even realise how much gold they have in their hands?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

I thought that was kind of where they were heading...

It's a slow process, but they plan to add in more and more tools that are usually only found in the dev studio. AI, scripting, item crafting/modeling, etc.

Doubt it will get to be as crazy as Second Life, but I believe that is more a long the lines of what they are aiming for.

The whole "build your own mmo" concept.

They could sell it to others, but I doubt it.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Its all talk and hype at this point, wait until something ships and you actually play it and then if you think its still good in practical use then talk about the what if's.

• Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271

Providing support for a next-gen engine is quite a bit more than just coding one.

Try UE4, it can do what you want, if you have the skill.

$20 a month, 5% of your sales, not a bad deal at all.

Originally posted by goboygo

Its all talk and hype at this point, wait until something ships and you actually play it and then if you think its still good in practical use then talk about the what if's.

Gotta have some "what if" conversations in here or it would just be complaining. Yay for positive conversation.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Allein

Gotta have some "what if" conversations in here or it would just be complaining. Yay for positive conversation.

It's called a reality check..  Think about it..  A company can hire 100 people full time to create a world, and that takes "YEARS" to complete, so selling this game to players will never happen so to speak..  Even Landmark with the thousands of players messing around has NO professional direction, and it's just a mess of scribble on a board..  Sure SOE has all the instruments to create an orchestra, but to allow the general public to just come in and play something would sound like shit.. 

I agree with gobo, lets wait till we see the product OUT OF THE BOX, before giving it a review..  Happy Holidays

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

i think SOE should sell it as an engine, i am sure it will work miracles for social world games like 2nd live.....

if they add tooling so players can create characters and annimations on top of that... It will even get better..

which will allow people to create their own virtuall worlds and enjoy them with their friends, does SOE even realise how much gold they have in their hands?

They bought a license from voxel farm...you have it backwards...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Rydeson
    Originally posted by Allein

It's called a reality check..  Think about it..  A company can hire 100 people full time to create a world, and that takes "YEARS" to complete, so selling this game to players will never happen so to speak..  Even Landmark with the thousands of players messing around has NO professional direction, and it's just a mess of scribble on a board..  Sure SOE has all the instruments to create an orchestra, but to allow the general public to just come in and play something would sound like shit.. 

I agree with gobo, lets wait till we see the product OUT OF THE BOX, before giving it a review..  Happy Holidays

Do you know what Second Life is?

Take the tech we have with Landmark plus whatever is coming down the pipe + the design/concept of something like Second Life and it would be a pretty crazy experience. Landmark is a much more restricted game.

Not sure what is in need of a review, we can use the current tools already, I'm doubting any more additional systems/tools will make the tech worse overall.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

They bought a license from voxel farm...you have it backwards...

Thank you, didnt know that... this totally removes the value of my statement, i tought it was owned by SOE...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    *Technology