Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats some MMOs that are good for jumping right in for Fun day one hour 1?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

I thought SWTOR was a great leveling experience.  The best I've seen.

GW2 had a decent beginning experience I guess.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Marvel Heroes 2015 if you want to get right in to action or story.

Defiance is worth it for the story with what they hit you right away, if don't like fps mmo may skip this one.

Trove still have long way to go, but is met to be short game atm, and go out and play right away.

Neverwinter good for is start story get you in the action.

I can't think of any other game atm, but so far my list if you want something to play with out leveling to get to a point to have any fun for 1 hr.

• TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Believe it or not DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE is perfect for this!

Its a fully instanced MMO thats dungeon based only so you can pop in, join a group right away (its a manual joining system but works well) and your off and running doing a dungeon!

Then when your done, you can either go run another one or log out for the evening etc.

Its almost feels like a FPS shooter in that sense. You can jump, run a dungeon and pop out again.

Great for what you are looking for :)

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I am going to agree with SWTOR. 

Not sure about GW2. Haven't played since, but I have read there are plenty of players up in arms over the new player experience.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

I do that all the time with the following.  I also like these because you don't have to spend a lot of time managing your inventory space.  GW2 you can access the auction house to sale stuff from your current location easily.  I hate spending lots of time managing inventory.

Marvel Heroes

GW2 - the same as above, if you already have high level characters, use the browser boss timers to log in at the right time.

TSW

STO

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Planetside 2

When you log in, you can jump right into the battles with the rest of the players of all levels and you can actually win some fights against higher levels.

I would be playing it if I had a computer that ran it well :(
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Planetside 2
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

ESO - its fun right from the start and the story, exploration, and crafting are all pretty solid at whatever level you are at. With crafting for example you will be actually making items that are good to use right from the start. The way the combat is set up it is fairly enjoyable to fight even without all skills unlocked.

NWO: The first 10 minutes are somewhat boring but it quickly picks up the pace and is an enjoyable and interesting adventure, with only a few dull/grindy parts in it. A lot of it kind of felt like a third-person version of diablo to me for some reason.

GW2: If you like instanced pvp you can jump in and start pretty much straight away, so it has that. Not sure how good the pve part is anymore. From memory the pve didn't seem as fun or interesting as ESO or NWO, but it had good crafting and I remember just wandering around and finding "secret" places which was kind of fun.

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    I would say that SWTOR is perfect for the odd hour here and there.  The flashpoints, pvp and quests can all be completed in small doses.  
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by FomaldehydeJim
    I would say that SWTOR is perfect for the odd hour here and there.  The flashpoints, pvp and quests can all be completed in small doses.  

Agreed. Very engaging story and lots of fun to boot. I mean there are freakin' lightsabers! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• sibi425sibi425 Member Posts: 3
    Planetside 2...
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I am going to agree with SWTOR. 

Not sure about GW2. Haven't played since, but I have read there are plenty of players up in arms over the new player experience.

I'm with you there. Although I can't see GW2 being any worse off for the new update. Before you constantly had to pause your story to go grind public events so that you could get the next mission in the story chain.

Nowadays you just grind to a specific level and then get to do the whole "chapter" at once rather than do one mission, grind 1-3 levels, get another story mission, grind another 1-3 levels to get the next one, rinse and repeat. I always found it to be incredibly immersion breaking.

"The Queen needs to see you immediately!" which translated into "Go run all over the countryside for a few hours, and do a bunch of random crap before going to see the Queen." xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• LukoooneLukooone Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Planetside 2

But, but, but he attacked me when I was low life! 

Yes, HE DID, why you cant do the same to him? 

Uf that will take me a lot of time... 

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

• giftedHorngiftedHorn Member UncommonPosts: 106

I agree with Marvel Heroes, Neverwinter, and SWTOR. One nice thing is that they are free to play, so no initial investment needed.

Marvel Heroes -- real slick game, run by guys who know what they are doing. Best MMO management post-launch I have seen. Good cash shop, you won't get ripped off.

Neverwinter -- as another poster on these boards said, "most visceral combat mechanics ever". Has a gritty look for a fantasy RPG. Watch out for the cash shop, there are some bad deals in there.

SWTOR -- your fix for Narrative. I love the starting worlds. Also the PvP is not bad.

• klagmireklagmire Member UncommonPosts: 95

Planetside 2 is the best log on FPSMMO out to date. If you like FPS games as I do with playing all the BF series, then you'll love ps2. it has progression to get better weapons and abilities, along with a huge social aspect of being in a coordinated platoon attack on a  base territory. Its a very fast paced game, and you need a decent computer to play effectively. See system req. 

Played:SWG(pre NGE/CU sucked)Yep its true, anyone who quit SWG because of the NGE/CU missed out on a much better combat system. DCUO, Fallen Earth, STO, The Secret World. Battlefield series. Planetside 2. Still playing SWG.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

The Secret World

World of Warcraft

Guild Wars 2

Elder Scrolls Online

Joined - July 2004

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

Guild Wars 1 & 2 are both great choices.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Marvel Heroes, Diablo 3, League of Legend, World of Tanks.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    GW2 and WoW would be my top picks.  Fast combat, skills open up quickly, and no lengthy tutorials.
  • MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84

I also recommend RIFT for quick gameplay.  Even at max level (okay, max level -1), I still occasionally join in events in the starter zone (with downleveling).  On the roleplay server (Faeblight), I find more people on the Defiant faction than the Guardians.  Your mileage may vary on other servers.  If you have trouble finding a group for any reason, there are always Instant Adventures that teleport you to an ongoing series of mini-missions for cooperative frag-fest PvE fun.

Someone else recommended DDO (Dungeon & Dragons Online).  It's been a long time since I've played that one.  The graphics were nothing to write home about, even when the game first released, but don't miss out on the opportunity to hear game narration for your missions (even Gary Gygax himself... although it turns out he's a terrible narrator).  It also had wonderful game physics where a player with a shield could block arrow/ray attacks on other players if placed in the line-of-sight.

• Moguy3Moguy3 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    6189 posts and you have to ask about what game is good to get into? Trolling? /facepalm
  • VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Neverwinter

I'm ultra casual who many times just get an hour or two play blocks and segmented. you can do a lot in Neverwinter in short periods of time and don't need to feel immersed or too involved to have fun and be entertained unlike most heavy progression MMOs

second would be marvel heroes online if you prefer zen like hack and slash action

• SerignuadSerignuad Member UncommonPosts: 98

We need to start thinking of MMO's as we do music or literature or the movies. There is not one MMO or one game that will be universally satisfactory to everyone's taste. MMO's don't come in one genre just as books or music doesn't come in one genre. Change and innovation is a good thing in the MMO industry just as it is in literature and music, but every MMO doesn't need to push the envelope or be cutting edge to be "good" or fun. It just needs to be good. The same is true for music. The same is true for books or for movies. Music evolves. MMO's evolve. Storytelling evolves. And in doing so, it doesn't make obsolete or not enjoyable everything that's been done before. 
  • shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    VINDICTUS OR DRAGON NEST. Good from start
  • Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    Read a book