Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon Video is more Transparent and Passionate than ever

2»

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by DMKano

I'd love to see this project succeed.

Its sad to see so many not willing to give others more chances.

People make mistakes in their life, sometimes a great deal of mistakes, are they not deserving of another shot?

I believe that everyone should still be given another chance - especially when they have zero backing like Brad has here.

I don't get why folks are treating Brad as they would a murderer on death row - with no ability for redemption.

Its pretty sad to judge another so harshly, especially when there is no harsh crime.

I'm not sure people are treating Brad like a murderer on death row. But I do see people treating him as someone who took about 40% of the games funds for his personal use.

The point of kickstarter is to get money for a project without having to take out a loan or sit down with investors. It's not his personal bank account. If he's having real life issues and needs the money, I'm sorry to hear that but he should do what everyone else has to do, get a paying job. Tough times are tough times, if you need to work full time while also working full time to produce your project, then that's what you have to do. I'm not sure why Brad should get a pass on this, no one would give you nor I a pass on it.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I am hoping for the best with this one. I am in the same boat as everyone else who wants a spiritual successor to EQ. In my mind, gameplays always trumps graphics. I prefer the graphics I saw in this video to the cartoony EQN graphics.  Also, no ones knows what features this game will have or what the gameplay will be like.  I think with the right deatures and gameplay this game could be the one everyone has been waiting for who liked EQ.
  • Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

Unfortunately I am at work, so I was only able to view a couple mins of the video thus far.  I have to admit, I like the weather affects, especially the snow accumulating on the ground.  It seems only EQ was able to make weather affects matter and actually affect gameplay/immersion.  Loved the rain and fog in that game making visibility low.

Anyway, back to the whole project.  I started out during the kickstarter of this project as a HUGE HUGE supporter and fan.  I really like the direction they want to take this game and the type of game they are trying to create.  However after all the hoopla with the donation funds, kickstarter and finding out about the whole Vanguard debacle, I pretty much lost my faith.  Some of the other rumors about Brad I don't put much stock into cause it seems based on rumor and conjecture.

I've mildly followed the game since, mainly just from posts on their facebook page and viewing the photos/videos.  I think some credit is deserved from where this started to where it has come too.  At the end of all the hoopla I said that they just needed to be quiet and work on getting something worthwhile to show to investors to get more backing and it seems that's what they've been doing.  The amount of progress from where they started the kickstarter is quite staggering. 

Is it ready for alpha? No.

Is it ready for investors eyes? No but considerably closer

Is it ready for another kickstarter? No

Is it progressing and on track to do the above mentioned? Yes

Considering they started with nothing but paper, they have moved the game in a positive direction with what I would consider a very good framework of a game.  They have some zones, mobs, players, UI, weather, music, abilities/skills, combat, particle effects and basic graphics.  It's a good framework and with some more financial support updated graphics and UI changes can be added to get it to more of a working alpha/demo.  With using a purely Volunteer dev team since losing all the other original devs, it's impressive they got this far.

Theres still a ton of work to really impress folks but I think compared to where they started, they have made some good progress.  I'm not willing to throw money at them but I'm at least feeling more optimistic about the project.  Time will tell how it all pans out but I'm willing to give a second chance or at least continue to follow to see how it progresses.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Originally posted by DMKano

I'd love to see this project succeed.

Its sad to see so many not willing to give others more chances.

People make mistakes in their life, sometimes a great deal of mistakes, are they not deserving of another shot?

I believe that everyone should still be given another chance - especially when they have zero backing like Brad has here.

I don't get why folks are treating Brad as they would a murderer on death row - with no ability for redemption.

Its pretty sad to judge another so harshly, especially when there is no harsh crime.

You don't seem to understand. Brad has already used his 6th, 7th and 8th chance. There comes a point where even if you don't condemn someone, you don't let them near your bank account either. It's just common sense.

Another example. You may think Micheal Jackson deserves a 3rd chance but you probably wouldn't let your 8 yr old son sleep over his house either.....

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250

I don't know anything about Brad McQuaid other than what is on Wikipedia:

It was later revealed, in early May, that McQuaid had taken a three month advance payment of $45,000 of the $147,000 raised for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. This raised significant questions about the viability of the project.

A quote from Wikipedia. If this is true, I will definitely not be supporting this game. The video also looks terrible. If I wanted to play a game from 2001, I would.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Brad McQuaid , those are the 2 words that make me avoid any pc game he's involved in. If people didn't learn about who and what he was during the Vanguard fiasco, then you deserve to have your money taken.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    The game appears to be coming along nicely.  I enjoyed the video.  It brought back memories of EQ and the music reminded me of VG. I'm still waiting for a proper sequel to EQ.  Brad won't get my cash until the game is released and finished.  The kickstarter was evidence enough to take a more conservative approach when it comes to Brad.  I do wish Brad success due to him being the only dev willing to make another proper EQ.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Zarf42

I don't know anything about Brad McQuaid other than what is on Wikipedia:

It was later revealed, in early May, that McQuaid had taken a three month advance payment of $45,000 of the $147,000 raised for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. This raised significant questions about the viability of the project.

A quote from Wikipedia. If this is true, I will definitely not be supporting this game. The video also looks terrible. If I wanted to play a game from 2001, I would.

Yes, McQuaid came out and gave some BS excuses as to why he pocketed 45k for himself, but they didn't amount to much.

This was after the failed KS, and when he was taking direct donations to his "site".

Anyone who gives anything to this guy should have their head examined.

(On the other hand, might as well give some cash to BM, cocaine doesn't buy itself! :P)

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Shrug. This vid looked like something from the distant past. Back then there was an MMO 100 times better and it was called Everquest.
  • DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146

Color me surprised. The environmental gfx are already up to par; definitely a visual style I could see myself enjoying. And obviously they have some good music guys, if that score is original. Clearly the animations, UI, effects etc. are still a work in progress with a long way to go. Lets just hope that their writers and developers will have enough steam left in them after these matters are addressed to properly optimize the engine as well as make the world deep enough and convincing enough to keep player's attention longer than a few hours. That will be the big sticking point for me.

As for the peanut gallery, you can basically just ignore it. If Visionary Realms can get their ducks in order and get enough players/guilds in who give positive feedback and press coverage, all the naysaying and boohooing will have been for naught. Just so much hot air.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Unfortunately, when you have the kind of rep that Brad has, you need to show 200% more good results than anyone else before you're taken seriously and "given another chance".

Perhaps there are "good reasons" why he had to use a significant chunk of the game funds for his own personal needs, but it was like waving a red rag in the face of an irritated bull. Too many people instantly thought: "Uhoh, here we go again..."

• ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195

I really love the music in the trailer.

However many things needs to improve like...

1. Models: Company needs to bring in someone which is good at creating models, both for monsters and characters, as I wants to look cool when I play games. Example of bad looking model: Women with large shoulder pads (looks like a badly done asian version of a woman) and the ghoul just looks horrible.

2. Spell effects: The spell effect which looks like 20 arrows hitting the ground just looks horrible. Remove physical looking objects on spell effects please and you will have a winner. Spells effect in EQ felt epic because they consisted of beautiful particles.

Just my 2 cents. Other than that it looks the game has made some progression. Hopefully within a year or so it will look good.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    They need to keep working at restoring public opinion instead of hiding from it. The next step being opening up their pay to post forums. Alot of good suggestions are being lost because they are afraid of much deserved trolling.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    It looks like their plan now is to work on improving the graphics to try and attract investors or maybe they will take another crack at kickstarter.