Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: Welcome to Draenor

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This week I share my thoughts on the Warlords expansion so far and then we check out some of the Tier 17 gear we’ll find in the upcoming Highmaul raid.

Read more of Reza Lackey's World of Warcraft: Welcome to Draenor.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I'm having an absolute blast so far! It's definitely the first step towards Blizzard making WoW a more well rounded and interesting game beyond gear grinding.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I swam to the bottom and lottery that as well, when I was down there at first I did not see it, Itthought "why am I even down here" then I found it, the I thought " who in the hell is ever going to come down here?" I guess I know now. Excellent expansion - this one killed mop who killed cata who killed wotlk who killed bc who killed vanilla, Wow just keeps killing itself.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15368408583

This is what a lot of forums posters think about Garrisons, 100 up votes.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by bcbully

So let's get this straight you don't play WoW but scan their forums for a post that will help your agenda? Is that correct? If you actually read through that thread you would see there are more people who actusllu enjoy the garrisons. 

You should also know that in all games the forums are a small percentage of players and typically lean towards negative feedback the fact that more defend the garrisons on the forums proves people enjoy them.  Picking one negstive thread out of your daily scan of a video game forum you don't play doesn't mean "this is what a lot of forum posters think of the garrisons."  If you actually played the game you would see ingame chat is full of people talking about enjoying the garrisons talking with one another about how to improve the garrison look for groups to help with the garrison invasion (I know you don't know what that is but doesn't matter).  

Also since you apparently stalk the WoW forums even though you don't play the game you should also know the 99 up votes it's very common for any negative post.  It's been this way in the WoW forums forever.  Negative post gets up votes positive post gets down votes.  So attempting to make it seem like the up votes matter is hilarious and shows your true agenda towards WoW. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Nepheth

Dude, you really have some serious problems. I feel sorry for you...

Think of it as a Public Service Announcement. Us gamers are all we got. If you disagree, you should do so image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Think of it as a Public Service Announcement. Us gamers are all we got. If you disagree, you should do so image

I think you must have hit the wrong link when you were going to the ESO forums?

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

as a huge critic of the recent WoW expansions, I am completely hooked on this expansion.  Regular end-game dungeons are a challenge (at least for tanks), much like FFXIV.  I can't imagine what heroics have in store for me, but Im excited.  

The story itself is amazing and my garrison is the best thing that has happened to a PTP game in a long time...funny thing is...FTP games having been doing something similar for years, but at a real cost.  With WoW, you pay the sub and that's it....nothing else.  Garrisons are a game within a game.

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

ESO must be an incredibly boring game.  Because you spend more time scanning the forums of other games than playing it.  That's too bad.  Hopefully you can find the "next greatest game" soon.  

Yawn.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Tasslehoff35

So let's get this straight you don't play WoW but scan their forums for a post that will help your agenda? Is that correct? If you actually read through that thread you would see there are more people who actusllu enjoy the garrisons. 

Most people scan forums to see player feedback, keep up with game news, etc.  What he was doing is completely reasonable, seeing player feedback.  It's the same exact thing you probably do or have done on these forums.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Originally posted by Tasslehoff35

Most people scan forums to see player feedback, keep up with game news, etc.  What he was doing is completely reasonable, seeing player feedback.  It's the same exact thing you probably do or have done on these forums.  

I wouldn't say most people. And going to the specific game's forums that you don't play to find negative feedback is just a little trollish.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Often min / maxers are their own worst enemy. Seeing a path that maximises rewards often end up being the repeat circle that drives you nuts.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

10+ million players.. 100 up votes. *shrugs*

• ConjureOneConjureOne Member UncommonPosts: 233
    WoW is just so 2000 and late, no matter how good the expansions to it are, its like upgrading a 1998 vw golf with brand new rims instead of just buying an overall better  and modern new model ...
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

10 million players all playing mostly by themselves, but paying a monthly fee as if they are playing online with others.

Phasing = single player game

I am awestruck by your mind powers where you know exactly how 10+ million players are playing the game.

10 million players all playing mostly by themselves, but paying a monthly fee as if they are playing online with others.

Phasing = single player game

I am awestruck by your mind powers where you know exactly how 10+ million players are playing the game.

I'm just quoting you.  Maybe I misread your post.  But you mentioned 10 million, did you not?

I think you misread..i wasn't talking on behalf of majority infact i was trying to make an opposing point. 100 votes out of 10+ million player base means absolutely nothing.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375

that will change they are supposed to release the first raid today

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

Even if it's 100 upvotes i would still not shrug it off imho. This i the Wow forums where talking, one slightly negative comment about the game can have you downvoted into oblivion and insulted till the cows come home, that 100+ people agree on something negative about the game is crazy in itself to me (it doesn't include those who agree, but haven't upvoted). Also you have to consider how quickly this has happened, you tend to see these comments a few months down the line, but there normally greeted by people telling them leave or "can i have your stuff?". Like i said for so many to agree so early into the xpac is mad. 

There's also a topic like this on the Eu forums, think only just started and it seems to be heading in the same direction as the one linked. 

The levelling experience is fun, it's the best since Vanilla and Tbc, but i can see what people are getting at, a lot of the content is on a timer, wait 1, 2, 5, 10 hours, wait a day. Proffs seem to be the new one hit with this, which i think a lot of people are hating. People are starting to see that the game is catering to players who log-in for 10 min a day, while this has been said for a while, blizzard have just made it very obvious now.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by ConjureOne
    WoW is just so 2000 and late, no matter how good the expansions to it are, its like upgrading a 1998 vw golf with brand new rims instead of just buying an overall better  and modern new model ...

Newer model cars are only better if your on crack. Give me a classic from the 60's or 70's we will do a head on collision and lets see who ends up surviving or with the least damage to their body.

Age doesn't mean anything Everquest has been around almost two decades and is still going strong. 

your attempt to troll is a /fail.

• AshbornAshborn Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Full disclosure: don't play wow, currently.

But did in the past and was fun.

Question remains; for most former players I think is is this like every other expansion that's been released since 2000, for all games.

Where we invest our time and money and then discover after a short period of time (usually 2 months) that no this expansion didn't increase the longergevity of the core game.

I'm not a locust who devours content rapidly; but with each expansion iteration of any game so far that's been realsed we come to the realisation, or at least I do, about how little there is to do, which can become a grind for gear etc.

Most of the time I spent in wow I aw role playing which was brilliant as they have such an awesome system in place (species : languages).

But rather than feed the locusts with content that most players burn through, how about releasing content which encrouges emergent gameplay.

For instance: why not have it so out quests influence the surroundings of a city: or even by doing the dungeons/raids

Example: certain percentage of players complete dungeon within a certain time frame; let's say a month and 2m dungeons runs are done, how about changing the agresssion of the surrounding monsters near city/dungeon/raid in pve.

For instance they mount an attack on stormwind, he'll you can make it a special event that GM kick off.

Either way developing content for locusts, whilst in the short term will bring back players, it won't keep them.

I've seen the reviews and watched gameplay videos and yes I admit it's fun and looks great, but will it stand up in the long run, where previous xpacs have failed, I can hope so.

Either way for me if I come back it won't be for the vaunted xpacs, but mainly for the great role playing community (I'm not a hardcore role player) as they are in my experience really welcoming

Personally I hope that the next xpac is designed with emergent gampeplay in mind. Rather than standard content gluttony.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Herase

Even if it's 100 upvotes i would still not shrug it off imho. This i the Wow forums where talking, one slightly negative comment about the game can have you downvoted into oblivion and insulted till the cows come home, that 100+ people agree on something negative about the game is crazy in itself to me (it doesn't include those who agree, but haven't upvoted). Also you have to consider how quickly this has happened, you tend to see these comments a few months down the line, but there normally greeted by people telling them leave or "can i have your stuff?". Like i said for so many to agree so early into the xpac is mad. 

There's also a topic like this on the Eu forums, think only just started and it seems to be heading in the same direction as the one linked. 

The levelling experience is fun, it's the best since Vanilla and Tbc, but i can see what people are getting at, a lot of the content is on a timer, wait 1, 2, 5, 10 hours, wait a day. Proffs seem to be the new one hit with this, which i think a lot of people are hating. People are starting to see that the game is catering to players who log-in for 10 min a day, while this has been said for a while, blizzard have just made it very obvious now.

There is also a lot of posts making fun of the OP for running in circles doing the same 3 things over and over. WoW is a huge game with lots to do. Someone on that thread asked a very simple question, "what do you want to do?" The Garrison is just a small % of the content. 

Umm you seem a little confused there.  In the WoW forums negative post get the up votes and positive post get the down votes it's been this way for awhile.   

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

There is also a lot of posts making fun of the OP for running in circles doing the same 3 things over and over. WoW is a huge game with lots to do. Someone on that thread asked a very simple question, "what do you want to do?" The Garrison is just a small % of the content. 

Not only that, but the OP of that thread can't even do silver proving grounds to unlock heroics which is why he's got a 571 item level. WoD is the most feature rich expansion of WoW. The only thing MoP had more of is dailies. WoD has more everything (and better everything too).

If you lock yourself in your room and spend your time doing a couple things over and over, I'm not sure whose fault that is. I have way too much to do in WoD and not enough time to do it in. 631 Tank gear, 634 dps gear, found all treasures in two zones, have full PvP gear, haven't touched pet battles, brawler's guild, or challenge modes, I still have dailies in my quest log from 2 days ago and I haven't participated in the LFG MC, Tarren Mill PvP, or Ashran PvP.

I can't say I'm sad that I don't have to do 50 dailies in order to unlock more dailies. Remember Burning Crusade (many people consider it the best WoW xpac), everything was tied to dungeons. No dailies for the first 5 months. You just ran dungeons in order to get rep to unlock heroics and get keyed for Kara. And there were BG's. That's it. Dungeons and BG's until Arenas and Dailies were introduced. Complaining about a lack of things to do in WoD is a farce.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

True, but it's clear these are the three things the OP wants to do, but can't due to the fact the content has been heavily gated behind a timer now. Professions where something you could spend hours upon hours doing, farming, crafting and selling, now it's restricted so you can only make things either 3 hours,10 hours or 1 day and your Garrison gives you all the resources you need. So you find yourself just sitting around waiting for things to come of CD.

There is other things, but pushing people into gameplay they don't want to do isn't a great move.

True, but it's clear these are the three things the OP wants to do, but can't due to the fact the content has been heavily gated behind a timer now. Professions where something you could spend hours upon hours doing, farming, crafting and selling, now it's restricted so you can only make things either 3 hours,10 hours or 1 day and your Garrison gives you all the resources you need. So you find yourself just sitting around waiting for things to come of CD.

There is other things, but pushing people into gameplay they don't want to do isn't a great move.

Crafting is not gated behind garrisons. Do you even play WoW? All thoughout WoD there are resources that can be mined, picked, skinned, disenchanted ect ect none of the above require any type of cool down or gate behind the garrison.  Now if you are complaining about taking 28 days to create a ilvl 640 item well again that is nothing new it took 28 days to do it in MoP and expansioms before.  
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    After the past two embarrassing expansions (that introduced a few good features to be fair), I am enjoying myself in WoW like I haven't since Wotlk.  Blizzard finally nailed it after all these years.