Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best mmorpg ever created is...

Comments

• ElshiraElshira Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Asherons Call
  • LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

UO and SWG because they felt like MMO's. Now a days the worlds created aren't even utilized except for leveling, and after that it's instances galore.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Apparently, according to our site skins... it's actually League of Angels. At least, that's what they seem to think.

/snicker

Considering they are advertising just about everywhere, there must actually be a lot of people that share your opinion! ;)

All that money's gotta come from somewhere.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Everquest 1 (in it's pre-Planes of Power years).  While the graphics, interface, and smoothness of animations had issues, the concept of an open, dangerous, mysterious world, with many races starting in their own dedicated racial areas, and all you were given was a rusty sword, leather rags for armor, and an inaccurate map made adventuring pure gold.

Challenge  (if you conned even with a moonster, the fight could go either way.  No face-rolling of "elites".  Also, big tough-looking monsters were ... really big and tough.)

Consequences  (play carelessly or "zerg" and you paid the price.  Scary areas were ... scary because of this.)

Choice (freedom to roam and wander, even into high level areas, none of this "on rails" bull)

Community (you needed friends or had to be a tough hombre to go it alone)

Emergent gameplay (you figured out how to make the world work for you.  If you found a good mining or harvesting area that was out of the way, you could take advantage of this opportunity.  One time, I killed tons of skeletons, just to harvest the bones and sell to necromancers for a hefty profit.  Stuff like that.)

Mystery  (There was always a little bit more to the world than you could see.  Hidden quests, areas, etc...)

We may see this kind of gaming again (but hopefully with improved graphics, animations, and U.I.).  Right now, we are in the phase of game companies presenting single player games as MMO's and scooping up new players for cash.

I couldn't say this better.  This is definitely near the top of my list.  My list is as follows:

1. EQ1

2. DAoC

3. Wow (vanilla - TBC)

4. City of Heroes

5. Asherons Call / Shadowbane

Although I would say the top 3 could move around a bit, hard for me to choose between them or put them in a numerical order.

• RorhcRorhc Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Best MMORPG , to me atleast , was EQ1 (pre Planes). It was my first so I guess that makes my opinon kind of biased but I did make a lot of plat as a druid in those days.

This could end up being very interesting.

• Noobzilla_YouTubeNoobzilla_YouTube Member Posts: 21
    My two favorite of all time were Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot. I loved playing those games from the late 90s to early 2000s but due to playing them I missed out on some gems like SWG, AC, AO & Shadowbane which all might have made my top five if I had the chance.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Lukooone

No doubt for me and for many people : Archeage!

Why?

Trions incompretence + plex dupe abuse + pay to win + 30 hours maintenance on weekend + ...

AND

At this hour 14:28pm on a tuesday : all USA servers on high populatior or  -+500 peep queue!

Having a blast everyday, having fun everyday, I am very sorry for you people that are not trying it because of the haters and bad comments in many forums like this one, YOU ARE THE ONES LOSING IT.

Enjoy Arathi Basin num. 349857337689...

Drooling with sarcasm, yet none seem to notice

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Everquest 1 (in it's pre-Planes of Power years).  While the graphics, interface, and smoothness of animations had issues, the concept of an open, dangerous, mysterious world, with many races starting in their own dedicated racial areas, and all you were given was a rusty sword, leather rags for armor, and an inaccurate map made adventuring pure gold.

Challenge  (if you conned even with a moonster, the fight could go either way.  No face-rolling of "elites".  Also, big tough-looking monsters were ... really big and tough.)

Consequences  (play carelessly or "zerg" and you paid the price.  Scary areas were ... scary because of this.)

Choice (freedom to roam and wander, even into high level areas, none of this "on rails" bull)

Emergent gameplay (you figured out how to make the world work for you.  If you found a good mining or harvesting area that was out of the way, you could take advantage of this opportunity.  One time, I killed tons of skeletons, just to harvest the bones and sell to necromancers for a hefty profit.  Stuff like that.)

Mystery  (There was always a little bit more to the world than you could see.  Hidden quests, areas, etc...)

We may see this kind of gaming again (but hopefully with improved graphics, animations, and U.I.).  Right now, we are in the phase of game companies presenting single player games as MMO's and scooping up new players for cash.

So many good things of the past....  And SOE realises the MMO market went in the wrong dieection, they are moving back to the roots, 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236

• klagmireklagmire Member UncommonPosts: 95
    well of course its SWG. play it all the time. Oh and PS2 is pretty epic.

Played:SWG(pre NGE/CU sucked)Yep its true, anyone who quit SWG because of the NGE/CU missed out on a much better combat system. DCUO, Fallen Earth, STO, The Secret World. Battlefield series. Planetside 2. Still playing SWG.

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352

Why?

Trions incompretence + plex dupe abuse + pay to win + 30 hours maintenance on weekend + ...

AND

At this hour 14:28pm on a tuesday : all USA servers on high populatior or  -+500 peep queue!

Having a blast everyday, having fun everyday, I am very sorry for you people that are not trying it because of the haters and bad comments in many forums like this one, YOU ARE THE ONES LOSING IT.

The game is for sure a good game, but it is handled poorly. I will gladly pick this game up in 4-5 months if Trion sorts the problems out of the way.
  • klagmireklagmire Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by SwampDragons

Why?

AND

The game is for sure a good game, but it is handled poorly. I will gladly pick this game up in 4-5 months if Trion sorts the problems out of the way.

Um yea lots of available lots for your house or farm? I think not. Very limited space.

Played:SWG(pre NGE/CU sucked)Yep its true, anyone who quit SWG because of the NGE/CU missed out on a much better combat system. DCUO, Fallen Earth, STO, The Secret World. Battlefield series. Planetside 2. Still playing SWG.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

1) Asheron;s Call no doubt best MMO ever made

2) Horizons/Istaria-rough start, but the concepts in this game were epic

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Drooling with sarcasm, yet none seem to notice

I agree the OP is drooling. He should have just titled his thread "Why I Hate Archeage - reasons you've all heard before" and been done with it. But congratulations. I can't give you (the OP) points for being clever, but I will give you credit for being deceptive.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    The Realm Online
  • preachmorepreachmore Member Posts: 75
    city of heroes/villains for me .... when it was alive, it was the only game i needed for my gaming time

All-time fave : City of Heroes/Villains

Played and returning from time to time : GW2, Tera, CO

Played: Aion, Archeage, DCUO, FXIV:ARR, Rift, SWTOR, TSW, Vindictus, Wildstar

Playing atm : WoW, Hearthstone, Tera, GW2

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Well said!

But I have put to City of Heroes above EQ1. The community was a big part of my experience. It seemed a great percentage of players interested in the game were also interested in role playing a super hero, not a dick.

EverQuest is a close number 2 for me, though :)

[EDIT]
    PS: ROTFLMAO Bill :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

1) Dark Age of Camelot

2) EQ1 before Planes of Power

3) SWG at sunsetting.  I was a pre cu player who quit over nge, but I went back in the last few months before it went down, and holy shit they added so much content  that I felt like the only thing Pre-CU offered was the class system.  I miss the class system but all the content was much better.

4) EQ2 Post Desert Xpac, launch was horrible.

5)  EvE

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    So many good things of the past....  And SOE realises the MMO market went in the wrong dieection, they are moving back to the roots, 
    I am taking a wait and see attitude here. SOE does not have my trust to NOT produce something that "the masses" will flock to :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Was this OP even asking for lists of best games? Sounded like he was trying to make some point about AA...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Was this OP even asking for lists of best games? Sounded like he was trying to make some point about AA...

A confusing one at that: hard to tell if he was being sarcastic in the first or 2nd part of his post.

I won't rank them but here are my all time favorite 5 in alphabetical order:

Asheron's Call

Dark Age of Camelot

LOTRO

SWG

WOW

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324
    EVE Online. Its not perfect (combat), but it has no competition in MMORPG genre.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

1. SWG - Loved the community, crafting, space ships, and the setting.

2. WOW - Best all around mmo.

3. WAR - Favorite mmo PVP

4. SWTOR - Great story telling, liked the companion system, and the setting.

5. Rift - Good all around game, favorite class in any mmo (healer mage)

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Best experience was Anarchy Online before they implemented a cash shop.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

SWTOR for me. The only MMo I am actually excited to play all the time... 

Honorable second and third: EQ2 and TSW

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E