Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most powerful classes

YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

I have been playing around with several different builds, and so far I have found three really strong classes:

Knight enchanter: this is the only class I think is actually OP or a little broken. I does huge damage even without good gear and attacking generates a barrier that protects you. Also has access to the best gap closer (fade step) that can damage and freeze enemies you move through, and your magic sword reflects projectiles - including some dragon breath attacks! Perhaps the best thing is if you roll this class you don't have to put up with Viviane.

Reaver: Probably my favourite. Does ungodly damage. No really, its insane. It takes a while to get the hang of because the powerful spamable reaver attack (that turns your arms into dragons claws!) drains health instead of stamina. Its not the one man army that is KE, but if you have a tank to take agro the reaver gameplay is extremely satisfying, the feedback from the attacks, the animations, and the huge damage numbers are really well done. Craft a sword that produces guard when you attack for more survivability.

Tempest: The tempest skills are quite interesting, and while it doesn't pack the same punch as a reaver, gameplay is a bit more diverse. Basically you get three core skills- one that lets you use any ability for free with no cd for about 5 to 8 seconds (can get off about 5 shadow strikes in a row, which is a lot of damage), another coats you in ice for 5 seconds or so and gives 85% damage protection while freezing enemies that hit you, and the third basically stops time for 10 seconds. Mixing that in with the rogue stealth and evade skills gives a pretty fun playstyle. However, for some reason I find the rogue attacks don't track or "stick" to targets as well as the other classes so it is frustrating sometimes when you blow a CD but can't make the best use of it.

Anyone else found any fun/powerful builds?

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Rift Mage is a blast, lots of AOE and weakness stuff that makes your spell stronger. Pull all your enemies into one spot and throw down a electric field to hold them, then fire or ice rune down on them and whatever other AOE you can throw out. Good stuff.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

Hmm I am just playing on normal mode and I did read a lot about how oped the Knight Enchanter was and since I was only playing on normal difficulty I thought I would just play something I liked instead of worrying about tactical camera and such.

I suffer from motion sickness and even a game like ESO gave me difficulty after awhile. I was therefore reluctant to try the melee classes in the game as controlling in melee might give me the dreaded headaches. 

I decided to try the archer and mage. Of the two I actually like to climb somewhere and one shot something. I know that does not sound powerful . So far I have set Cassandra to defend herself and Solus to defend her. I am hoping for a minimal acquaintance with the tactical camera in my play through. I am awful with the controller even though I play some Play Station 3 games like FFXIII and such but my navigation is beyond horrible. I guess my pick would be an artificer archer for the bonus percentages but I guess compared to your class abilities mine sounds pitiful. I would use crowd control and shoot from an elevation ....yes sounds like a plan.

Chamber of Chains
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Originally posted by cheyane

Hmm I am just playing on normal mode and I did read a lot about how oped the Knight Enchanter was and since I was only playing on normal difficulty I thought I would just play something I liked instead of worrying about tactical camera and such.

I suffer from motion sickness and even a game like ESO gave me difficulty after awhile. I was therefore reluctant to try the melee classes in the game as controlling in melee might give me the dreaded headaches. 

I decided to try the archer and mage. Of the two I actually like to climb somewhere and one shot something. I know that does not sound powerful . So far I have set Cassandra to defend herself and Solus to defend her. I am hoping for a minimal acquaintance with the tactical camera in my play through. I am awful with the controller even though I play some Play Station 3 games like FFXIII and such but my navigation is beyond horrible. I guess my pick would be an artificer archer for the bonus percentages but I guess compared to your class abilities mine sounds pitiful. I would use crowd control and shoot from an elevation ....yes sounds like a plan.

Yeah I was thinking of artificer archer as well, its cool how you can set up really powerful opening attacks on the archer from stealth. And the artificer brings those traps and some group support I think, as well as that archery focus ability that looks sweet.

The trouble was I ended up just playing Iron Bull as Reaver all the time instead of my toon, I also quite like the sword and board gameplay because you can really block and weave in and out of combat, pretty cool blocking a dragon's breath attack and watching it get deflected back towards the beast.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Well I've only played Knight Enchanter to end-game so far and it definitely has all the tools to solo dragons at least on Normal difficulty and the last fight was very easy. 

I used just 5 spells most of the time: The spammable AOE blade attack, the 2s invulnerability + explosion, Immolate and Fire Mines together with the fire passive that adds 1/2 of your barrier as damage and the gap closer - mostly to get back under the dragon when it jumps to a new place.

I'm starting to replay with an archer now although I was tempted to go dual-wield assassin instead... maybe my 3rd one.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

Templar

This one is more of an offensive support line than a tanking line, but it packs some serious punch. It has quite possibly the best defensive Focus skill in the game. Spell Purge strips all barriers and other beneficial opposing effects while dealing heavy damage to foes when you do remove something. It's also an Eldritch Detonator (the best kind), so it works extremely well with a Winter mage. It brings a damage buff that works well with the Battlemaster's damage buff. It also packs the game's longest stun - in an AoE.

Rift Mage

Great for giving the caster great mana upkeep while keeping enemies weakened permanently. This line is a huge asset to a team.

Tempest

Everything here is useful. All of the Flasks are awesome. Its ability to improve elixirs is awesome. Its damage buff is good. Its Focus skill is strong. You can use Flask of Fire to spam its Focus skill with no Focus cost or cooldown. Take this line with the left half of Sabotage and you're going to be a powerhouse. This one makes a better Inquisitor line than a companion line, in my opinion, because of its high skill floor and synergy with Elixir-based Inquisition Perks. It's one of those that you should probably gear your playthrough around maximizing.

Artificer

Again, this is one of those trees that is just useful across the board. It makes itself an incredible asset to the team thanks to its incredible passives, heavy synergy with Archery and Sabotage, and increased proficiency with Traps. Pair with an Inferno mage for max effectiveness.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Originally posted by Aeander

Templar

This one is more of an offensive support line than a tanking line, but it packs some serious punch. It has quite possibly the best defensive Focus skill in the game. Spell Purge strips all barriers and other beneficial opposing effects while dealing heavy damage to foes when you do remove something. It's also an Eldritch Detonator (the best kind), so it works extremely well with a Winter mage. It brings a damage buff that works well with the Battlemaster's damage buff. It also packs the game's longest stun - in an AoE.

Rift Mage

Great for giving the caster great mana upkeep while keeping enemies weakened permanently. This line is a huge asset to a team.

Tempest

Everything here is useful. All of the Flasks are awesome. Its ability to improve elixirs is awesome. Its damage buff is good. Its Focus skill is strong. You can use Flask of Fire to spam its Focus skill with no Focus cost or cooldown. Take this line with the left half of Sabotage and you're going to be a powerhouse. This one makes a better Inquisitor line than a companion line, in my opinion, because of its high skill floor and synergy with Elixir-based Inquisition Perks. It's one of those that you should probably gear your playthrough around maximizing.

Artificer

Again, this is one of those trees that is just useful across the board. It makes itself an incredible asset to the team thanks to its incredible passives, heavy synergy with Archery and Sabotage, and increased proficiency with Traps. Pair with an Inferno mage for max effectiveness.

Great points about the Templar, I think I will start taking Casandra out more now because as the game goes on more and more enemies have barriers, and the extra damage and cc would be quite a boost.

My inquisitor is a tempest dual dagger with the left side of the subterfuge tree. I have been spamming shadowstrike with fire flask, I didn't know you could use it to spam the focus ability- that is OP! I still find myself switching to Bull a lot though- he just tears through enemies with such ease. Next run through will be as reaver.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I have had success with an archer and mage.  I think the key isn't so much how you build your own character, but also how you build the others.  I look at my build like a team rather than individually and try to balance them out to get synergy among my team.   Perhaps taking this approach will wield you more success.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Tempest can be super OP in bursts. As in, build up your focus, pop your flasks and then Thousand Cuts. Oh did that dragon have health? Not anymore. Even better if you have your party members debuff the target's defenses before you go HAM.

Archer and Assassin rogues can pretty much 2 shot anything that's not elite/boss, but they require player control to achieve this.

Champion does not die. Ever. If I'm fighting a dragon and I've lost my party and don't feel like spending an hour whittling away with the tank I have to exit the game because champions don't die. They gain guard faster than any incoming damage. Not to mention you can just go immune get your guard up if it's at 0 for whatever reason and carry on face tanking everything.

Rift mage + Frost is fantastic control. Add a battlemaster 2h warrior and the mobs basically just take whatever you give them.

KE is no where near OP or broken. Tanky with moderate damage, but nothing special. Think fade cloak does big damage? That's cause you're playing just about every other damage dealing class wrong.

Necro + fire is AoE king, too bad spirit mark sounds way way better than it actually is. It super sucks!

Reaver can be crazy damage, but you have to manage to get hurt first, which can actually be annoying when you want it to happen as party members will put barrier on you or the tank will taunt or boost your defenses with buffs. It's funny, other melee, like rogues, take lots of damage regardless. But when you want to get hurt it just doesn't happen lol.