Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do people actually ROLEPLAY anymore?

Comments

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Originally posted by BeansnBread

Roleplaying is for D&D, chatrooms and the bedroom.

In all places, I am Vin Diesel.

Classic. 

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
     it was SWG for me great RP there.  wow used to have decent RP on WRA back in the day. .. now its TOR. Yes.. TOR.. best RP ive seen on current gen mmos. come to Ebon Hawk server see for yourself if you want RP at all in the SW setting. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Caldicot
    One of the reasons I play EVE Online is that the RP comes natural even when people are not actually RP:ing. It's truly something else.

You know, that was the coolest surprise I had in EVE.  Even though it has very little in terms of roleplay tools, I found a whole lot of cool, IC and lore-based bantering on the chat channels.

But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.  There is, quite frankly, very little to do while hauling or mining but RP in chat...so we did exactly that.  Not everyone, mind you, but enough people.

Still, I think the greatest problem--today, at least--is that the tail is now wagging the dog.  There are so few players who actually roleplay, that those tools that roleplayers rely upon have been disappearing.  Things like emotes, chat bubbles, /walk, props, decorative elements, roleplay spaces, social/special purpose costumes and clothing and so on.  It used to be that these things came standard on every MMO.  The last MMO I played that had all these elements was CoH (and the roleplay was great there), but every other MMO I've played since CoH has had some features, but not others.

If we ought to lobby for anything, we ought to lobby for inclusion of the basics...basics that are becoming endangered.  Because we can entertain ourselves very well, just so long as we have the tools to do what we do.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• makeit234makeit234 Member Posts: 5
    NO! PvP FTW! Kidding though lol. But I find the most fun in PvP/PvE still.
  • I know this may sound off or prudent or whatever but it's me in a nutshell.

I see roleplaying (where you actively go out and try to "act" out a role) as something that requires a lot of work for no reward. I see people that do it as either over-the-top "overt" types (I'm an invert type) or overly effeminate. 

I was in both WoW and SWTOR and saw people trying to roleplay. 90% of the chat seemed to be common courtises and related jabber or a laundry list of adjectives or verbs.

For me, the only reason I'm online really...is to PVP and kill my opponent. The more wise and/or skillful they are the more meaningful the battle to me.

I understand balance in all things, so with that, I understand PVE content (and the extreme would be RP) has its' place and needed mechanics, but given a preference, I would choose PVP over it any day.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by BlueTiger13

I know this may sound off or prudent or whatever but it's me in a nutshell.

I see roleplaying (where you actively go out and try to "act" out a role) as something that requires a lot of work for no reward. I see people that do it as either over-the-top "overt" types (I'm an invert type) or overly effeminate. 

I was in both WoW and SWTOR and saw people trying to roleplay. 90% of the chat seemed to be common courtises and related jabber or a laundry list of adjectives or verbs.

For me, the only reason I'm online really...is to PVP and kill my opponent. The more wise and/or skillful they are the more meaningful the battle to me.

I understand balance in all things, so with that, I understand PVE content (and the extreme would be RP) has its' place and needed mechanics, but given a preference, I would choose PVP over it any day.

I ask, who do you think people RP with if not other people?

RP is simply a form of non violent PvP (although it can lead to violent PvP and THAT is the best form of PvP there is....PvP for a reason other then the game lets me).

Me thinks you do not understand what RP is...

• Originally posted by Maelwydd

I know this may sound off or prudent or whatever but it's me in a nutshell.

I ask, who do you think people RP with if not other people?

RP is simply a form of non violent PvP (although it can lead to violent PvP and THAT is the best form of PvP there is....PvP for a reason other then the game lets me).

Me thinks you do not understand what RP is...

There is no such thing as non-violent PvP as the point of PvP is death. That's like saying those on foodstamps are non-welfare recepients lol when foodstamps is under the welfare umbrella.

EDIT: PvP is not the same as "social interaction." It's Player versus Player. The keyword is versus, like a contest. Generally meant to the death or "forfeit" guidelines.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

There is no such thing as non-violent PvP as the point of PvP is death. That's like saying those on foodstamps are non-welfare recepients lol when foodstamps is under the welfare umbrella.

EDIT: PvP is not the same as "social interaction." It's Player versus Player. The keyword is versus, like a contest. Generally meant to the death or "forfeit" guidelines.

No such thing as non-violent PvP huh?

Like chess?

Or a spelling contest?

Or a treasure hunt?

Or a racing game?

Or Tic-Tac-Toe?

Or shooting arrows at a target?

Or holding your breath underwater?

Again, I think you don't have a clue what you are talking about!

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294
    Originally posted by KeepInGates

I think it's Kids these days, bro. Their minds have been boggled down by the crap Tv shows, movies, and video games that seem to qualify as "Good writing".  Because of this, they don't know how to come up with a good story.

Haven't read the whole thread, but this is pretty much the reason I stopped roleplaying. Characters have no depth either or realism. I tried roleplaying in SW:TOR, a Darth with an apprentice (my gf) - and only after I earned the title. When a random bounty hunter play like my character is a kitty and threatens him for the hundreth time in the heart of the imperial fleet, where logically 50 troopers would swoop down to surround him I gave up. I'm tired of kids playing like there would be no consequence of anything; just because I don't actually have 50 players able to do that doesn't mean the character knows this.

It's not roleplaying, it's metagaming - and on a poor level. I wouldn't mind had it been in the middle of the Taris ruins - but in the heart of the Empire? C'mon... Not to mention it's the same type of player that would refuse a duel, and refuse losing a duel, even when it's logical (though, personally, I've had characters getting beat by the Sith etc. so often they're starting to get seriously traumatized).

Back in AoC, people could actually ROLEplay. From their characters perspective. I haven't had decent RP since then. I doubt i ever will (except table top).

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Just read the complaints and you will notice the majority play's the "quest rush to end-game" as that's all they seem to understand when they enter a MMORPG. Again just check the majority of complaints.

So roleplay or getting immersed within a MMORPG seems very uncommon for the majority I see around here sorry to say. 

• Ariel_ArilonAriel_Arilon Member UncommonPosts: 50

IF games actually rewarded good role-play perhaps there would be more of it?

The attitude I've experienced in my last MMO that I played in for over 3 years was that the company neither encouraged, supported, or rewarded good role play. So why bother making the effort?

Now if you wanted to mindlessly hack to bits guards or townsfolk as quickly as they respawned, you could earn tons of xp.

Even with its drawbacks I am considering Plane Shift because there role play is enforced.

Imagine that, a MMORPG that is, in fact, a mmoRPG!

My computer beats me in Strip Poker, but doesn't stand a chance against my Kick Boxing! >: D 3

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I feel like there isn't a shortage of roleplays right now, as much as the numbers are being thinned out far more then in the past having so many more games out there. The community is split out further making it harder to gather large numbers for a single game like it was possible in the past. I'm sure the push to action combat only makes it that much harder to also really work with the roleplay culture as well as it tends to make things a bit trickier to pull off, granted I don't think its effect is anywhere near the issue of having so many MMos to split out between.

Probably the games that will manage to get more of the community of roleplays are those more focused around lore and story with resources to support those roleplayers. Its likely good beacons for finding the Roleplaying community and finding more numbers.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Time for me to go all Grandma Dreamscaper for a bit.

I really do think it's a generational issue. While it's more true of the upcoming generation (the children still in elementary school), both it and the generation in front of them are spoiled beyond belief. The influx of instant gratification pay-to-convenience games we currently see are a direct response to this. I have several family members who work in education and the stories they tell are just mind boggling.

I'm pretty sure the lack of roleplaying that becoming more noticeable as time goes on is a direct consequence of this. While roleplaying is very rewarding, it's also rather difficult to do correctly, and for the I-want-it-now generations, "ain't nobody got time for that," as they would say. Why bother putting forth the effort to contribute to a cohesive narrative when you can just do the day's daily quest and get rewarded with a basket of shinies? Why contribute to a living, breathing world when you still have to clear The Dungeon five more times before you can upgrade to next armor tier?

We're raising the human equivalent of Pavlovian dogs.

<3

• DurandleDurandle Member UncommonPosts: 41

Hi friend. I played alb/guinevere and hib/percival too on daoc...these were my best gaming memories. I made a video tribute to those rp servers and those now long dead days...

• LalapaseoLalapaseo Member Posts: 16
    I fart in everyone's vicinities whenever I can in Firefall. That's probably me roleplaying as my childhood bullies.
  • PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by Lalapaseo
    I fart in everyone's vicinities whenever I can in Firefall. That's probably me roleplaying as my childhood bullies.

well, they messed you up, that behaviour is just crazy! 

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by Scambug
    Loads of RP going on in SWTOR. I don't participate myself (always thought RPing was a little creepy) but I always pick RP servers when possible, folks are more mature and pleasant there, I find.

The RP in SWTOR is horrible, everyone is the most powerful Sith Lord the universe has ever seen! 

• gideonvaldesgideonvaldes Member Posts: 148
    Some are, majority are not anymore.
  • trisoxtrisox Member UncommonPosts: 51

Iam still enjoying roleplay. Though im not able to do it in the most classic way - in a fantasy setting - i usually do it in arma3. Either iam playing a police officer on altis life or just that plain old semi-illegal guy from next door.

Enjoying it most of the times, but often there are people that are just looking forward  to destroying this experience.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    No role players creep me out. Moment they start referring to themselves in third person in whispers and start emoting....i run in opposite direction as fast i can.
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    It depends on how deep into RP you're talking. In AoC I ran into a guy that was using his hide ability and so I used my tracking ability to find him. When I interacted I called him by name and of course he was ((how do you know my name?)), I said because it says your name in the damn window, how are you "hiding" without cover?

Some people take things a tad too far in my opinion.
  • ULBlue13ULBlue13 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Bigdaddyx said:
    No role players creep me out. Moment they start referring to themselves in third person in whispers and start emoting....i run in opposite direction as fast i can.
    Reason for that is they're NOT referring to themselves, they're referring (out of character) to the character they're acting, just as an actor might say rude things about his character when he's off-stage.  For instance, a player can deliberately be playing a villain just to make things more fun, in which case explanation might be required:
    Sir Beazleblor: "Filthy son of a toad!  Begone ere I run you through with my good sword!"
    Sir Beazleblor (whispers): "((Nothing personal.  Beazleblor's just being a berk.  Feel free to kick him.  :-)  ))"

RP do get complicated.  But it can be a great laugh.
    If you write, be polite.
  • ULBlue13ULBlue13 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    I sometimes wonder if something similar to the reason people think "furries" are creepy has happened with MMO roleplay - i.e. because there are people who do ERP, some people have the mistaken impression that all MMO roleplaying is about sex!
    If you write, be polite.
  • johndoepjohndoep Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Do people even value random roleplay ex periences or is it all about gear/level acquisition (AKA Achievement), raiding, and PvP?
    It's pretty much the latter nowadays...
  • GrayPhilosopherGrayPhilosopher Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I still roleplay.

Currently playing Elder Scrolls: Online.

It most certainly isn't perfect and the game offers little in terms of meaningful player interaction beyond typing out emotes. There are however multiple guilds already, some of which I'm a part of, dedicated to roleplaying. People will often plan an event and take the role as a GM to direct a story or something, for other players to enjoy.

Other times we'll act out things like guild initiations for new members or whatever else comes to mind. Finally, there's the stale ol' tavern RP where people just huddle arund somewhere and socialize as their characters to no end. It can be good fun when you're in the mood for something chill, but I find that it gets old quickly when done extensively.

I think the problem is, like a few people have mentioned in the thread already, that most games just don't have ways for players to interact with each other, they're all too Theme Park-y. I've often looked at something like EVE Online, and while I haven't played it, I can't help but see immense potential for RP interaction in a game like this. Something as simple as being able to attack and steal other players' resources creates tension and opportunities for genuine player conflict, both in and out of character.