Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Shooting for Longevity

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126

Focusing on the expansion may be premature, as shooting for longevity means giving people more things to try out for their enjoyment, even if they don’t completely become popular or well-adopted.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s Final Fantasy XIV: Shooting for Longevity.

image


¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


Comments

  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I just went to a total of 90 days and I'm now paid through December in my high 40s just doing the main storyline mostly.   Hopefully 50 along with Heavensward will present some worthwhile opportunities to stay on :)  
  • rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

    Ended up canceling my sub and paying close attention to expansion news.  Kind of over the tome/token grind and hope the expansion brings a healthy dose of variety to engaging end-game activities.

  • dolphin666dolphin666 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I'm enjoying this game, but unfortunately I'm about to fill up the allocated 200 players you can blacklist who gold spam. When it reaches 200, then what? lol
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Yeah the gold (gil) spam is nauseating.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by dolphin666
    I'm enjoying this game, but unfortunately I'm about to fill up the allocated 200 players you can blacklist who gold spam. When it reaches 200, then what? lol

    You clear it out, and start again. 

    Anyway I can't wait for heavensward.  

    Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

  • Best mmorpg I've played in years...
  • cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 7,217
    Originally posted by Nepheth
    Best mmorpg I've played in years...

    image

    Martens: "With all due respect, madam, where are you going with this?"
    Avasarala: "Wherever I goddamn like."
  • drivendawndrivendawn Member RarePosts: 2,144
    Yes they have built a fine base for the game to build off with expansions and I'm looking foward to seeing how Heavensward works out and what it will bring to the table.
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 193

    When they launched 2.0 I was there, but wasn't really impressed.

    Returned a month ago or so. Either I changed or they polished the game to a point I find it fun. And yes, I am very curious about Heavensward. New city state... Ishgard... Interrrrresting. :)

  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    FFXIV is a great game. Although I have left it to play WoD which is IMO better then 14, one day I ll be back. It s the second best MMO on the market IMO.
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 423
    DARK KNIGHT!!!!! cant wait
  • ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354
    i am looking forward to Triple Triad so I can never be productive at work again. if some didnt notice, the golden saucer game will be synced with a mobile app. ie never ending addiction D:
  • drivendawndrivendawn Member RarePosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by ZenTaoYingYang
    i am looking forward to Triple Triad so I can never be productive at work again. if some didnt notice, the golden saucer game will be synced with a mobile app. ie never ending addiction D:

    Yep, I am prepared for more laziness to enter my life thanks to this App.

  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,836

    I doubt there will ever be another FFXI created for longevity because everything now a days is on speed leveling and even FFXI went that greedy route when it attempted to sell it's Abyssea xpacs.It is a VERY simple game design,does not take any thought at all,just create the fights and the gear,not much for creativity there and why so many developers look to that same design.

    FFXIV is designed more like WOW grinding the same fights over and over for gear to allow you to take on the next tier.I find that far less enjoyable than playing the many classes that FFXI offered.Classes and combat in FFXIV is far less fun than what FFXI was.

    The Fun should be from the enjoyment of hanging out with others and enjoying the game and it's story and Lore and maps,NOT in the selfish grind for tiered gear.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Wizardry

    I doubt there will ever be another FFXI created for longevity because everything now a days is on speed leveling and even FFXI went that greedy route when it attempted to sell it's Abyssea xpacs.It is a VERY simple game design,does not take any thought at all,just create the fights and the gear,not much for creativity there and why so many developers look to that same design.

    FFXIV is designed more like WOW grinding the same fights over and over for gear to allow you to take on the next tier.I find that far less enjoyable than playing the many classes that FFXI offered.Classes and combat in FFXIV is far less fun than what FFXI was.

    The Fun should be from the enjoyment of hanging out with others and enjoying the game and it's story and Lore and maps,NOT in the selfish grind for tiered gear.

    Yep, thanks to the awesome community FFXI's style of gameplay encouraged, it could be a blast simply being in the world, not even doing anything in particular. I spent plenty of time just hanging out in L. Jeuno, having a blast interacting with people I'd never met or grouped with before. Talking, joking around, and so forth. I remember this one Taru couple (real life husband and wife) had a whole routine they'd do pretty often. It was all choreographed and scripted, and they were hilarious. Such good times.

     

    You won't experience anything like that in modern MMOs, because everyone's too busy "go go going" to the next instance/dungeon... or in XIV's case, hunt or FATE. Constantly on the go, chasing that next gear iLevel. 

     

    That's not just a FFXIV thing, though. That's a symptom of what's ailing the MMO genre at large anymore.

     
     
Sign In or Register to comment.