Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Actually looking for a casual MMO

tawlyntawlyn Member UncommonPosts: 15
Title pretty much says it all.  I work and go to school full-time so I'm looking for a MMO that I can dedicate a few hours (8-10) a week.  WoW was suggested but I feel like I am "late to the party" as everyone else is 90+ and I don't want to auto boost a character.  I prefer PVE focus with the occasional PvP if I get the urge.  Story and grouping are also important to me as well.  I don't mind paying a subscription but I would like to be able to try the game before I commit.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Comments

• mmorpglover1mmorpglover1 Member Posts: 49

Wow is a casual as it gets and don't worry about being late to the party.

You get a level 90 boost now in wow so you don't have to worry about the 1st 90 levels.

Just start where everyone else is and play the last 10 levels of the game.

If you want casual, it doesn't get more casual than that.

Edite: sorry, missed the bit where you don't want to auto level. Well, if you want casual in that case, go for guild wars 2 or wildstar.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Shroud of the Avatar just came  out, so your not to late to start. its on early access, it has solo, casual play, and some awesome crafting, one of the better ones I seen.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    i would recommend Guild Wars 2, its buy2play, 25 € on mmoga.com and has nice leveling, pve and good pvp (arena, world vs world ect.) a good mix of casual pve and competitive pvp.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• Cylon1337Cylon1337 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    RuneScape seems like the perfect game for you, its very casual and its free with a pay to play option. It has a ton of PvE (slayer, group slayer, bossing) Awesome quests with epic story lines. PvP as well! 

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

Well, i have to concur on recommending WoW as well.

Is as casual as it gets, it has you covered storyline wise with both dramatic and silly stories and events, it is quite easy to level up in it even by traditional means, which means you will not be "late to the party" for long AND right now is on sale so for like 5$ you can access pretty much everything except  for the last expansion.

Partying is mostly done in dungeons though, but you cannot expect otherwise out of a casual mmo since one of the main things of casual mmos is that they are soloable, thus killing the need for a party.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by slowpoke68

LOTRO is fantastic pve but grouping is non existent.

Just a minor correction, most of the group content is still there, simply it's not forced anymore besides the instances. So while it's tougher to gather a pug, especialy on the quieter servers, you can still play the whole game in a group if you want.

"I prefer PVE focus with the occasional PvP if I get the urge.  Story and grouping are also important to me as well.  I don't mind paying a subscription but I would like to be able to try the game before I commit."

Yep, LotRO is a nice fit for that, OP. There was also mentioned TOR, also a nice candidate for some casual play if you pay the sub. Neverwinter too, the game is almost like if it's designed for a casual, 1 hour / day playtime, dungeons are quick, professions have a long cooldown, there's an offline play-mode with SCA, and there's always new missions to play every day in the Foundry.

GW2 was mentioned as well, I don't play it, but as I've heard it's a casual wet dream :) so maybe you can check that too, it's on half price during the weekend.

• Well my vote goes to ESO, although there is no trial at the moment its less than 20 dollars some places. If not ESO then maybe SWTOR, but seriously; try ESO.

Its got some of the best quest in a MMO, and is story centric. PVP is also fun and you can play how you want (stealth, zerg, etc.)

Grouping was pretty bad at launch but is not to much of a problem. The best way to find a group is to say something in general chat. There are always people who would like to group up to do some things. 

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

For casual play that has good pve and a bit of pvp if you want to Neverwinter Online is a good bet.

After that I would say GW2 and then ESO. Imo ESO is the most amazing of the three (if you exclude GW2 spvp) but it has the slowest levelling curve, partly because it also has so much to do and the quests/lore are so indepth.

• RedsaltRedsalt Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Try: WoW, Rift, or LOTRO.

Redsalt... the other salt.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by tawlyn
    Title pretty much says it all.  I work and go to school full-time so I'm looking for a MMO that I can dedicate a few hours (8-10) a week.  WoW was suggested but I feel like I am "late to the party" as everyone else is 90+ and I don't want to auto boost a character.  I prefer PVE focus with the occasional PvP if I get the urge.  Story and grouping are also important to me as well.  I don't mind paying a subscription but I would like to be able to try the game before I commit.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

If story is your main drive I would suggest SWTOR, ESO, GW2, TSW or LOTR.  They are good leveling games that 2 of are F2P with ok restrictions as long as you are not over concerned about being the best of the best and 2 are B2P.  Each is a different game with it's own look and feel but has a pretty good story overall.  I don't think any of them are that strong end game however and for that I would look to something like WoW, EQ2, Rift, EVE, etc which have little to no real story in comparison but much more active end game scenes. 

• IsidiusIsidius Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Guild Wars 2
  • presidentnegpresidentneg Member Posts: 19

I'd say ESO too the quests are nice a step above most mmo, everything is voiced and the world look good. Big + for first person it actually feel like a rpg while WoW has more of a Diablo feel to it now: level fast.queue quick dungeons, major emphasis on gear grinding ( gears didn't matter as much in vanilla )  and questing isn't really fun.

WoW is casual until you hit 100, then you'll have to devote a good amount of time to farm gears to keep the competitive/necessary edge with everyone else as they progress higher. Random drops loots share it could take weeks or it could take months of farming the same bosses over and over again. In the end it's more of a chore than anything else, it's designed to keep people busy and subbed. On the other hand most of the top gears in ESO can be crafted and they work fine in both pve and pvp.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Going by what you stated then there is a few choices.

WOW has a f2p model that you can dive into and see if you like it.  Just pay attention to the pvp matches once you reach lvl 10 and see if the new combat system is as shitty as the old one.  For example the reason I quit was because you could have 5 players trying to kill 1 priest and never kill him.  That was just stupid crap and I quit playing because pvp was awful.

Rift-  You can dive into pvp at lvl 10 whenever you want and its fairly balanced and very fun.  I played this game a long time.  This is everything WOW shoulda been and more.

SWTOR-  You can also dive into the pvp at lvl 10 and it is very balanced as well and lots of fun.  It gives a good story for anyone who wants to just sit back and enjoy the game.

GW2-  IDK if you can really have fun in the pvp as a casual though.  But this is hands down the best game ever made.

ESO-  You can pop into the huge wvwvw pvp at lvl 10 and have a little fun every now and then.  But IDk how this is for casual gamers its very slow progression.

Are you onto something or just on something?