Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Next year is our big year."

MMOVet74MMOVet74 Member UncommonPosts: 76

Quote from IGN article posted today, Hickman says. "If you like what you see in Shadow of Revan, wait until you see what we have coming for you next year. Next year is our big year." 

looks like SWTOR fans should be excited, wonder what he means by "our big year".

Comments

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by MMOVet74

Quote from IGN article posted today, Hickman says. "If you like what you see in Shadow of Revan, wait until you see what we have coming for you next year. Next year is our big year." 

looks like SWTOR fans should be excited, wonder what he means by "our big year".

Star Wars VII, BW and EA dont want to lose that plane.    

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Here is a link to the article

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/24/revan-is-out-for-blood-in-star-wars-the-old-republics-new-expansion

I really like that they switched their focus to story-telling. That's where BioWare shines and that's what fans of SWTOR are really waiting for image

Quote:

The expansion is also just the start of a new push toward story-centric content, according to BioWare Austin General Manager Jeff Hickman.

"This is the first step on the next great story adventure for Star Wars: The Old Republic," Hickman says. "If you like what you see in Shadow of Revan, wait until you see what we have coming for you next year. Next year is our big year."  

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I really hope we get a new class or two.  I would even settle for some new advanced classes.
  • ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367

There's been exactly one class story in three years across 2 expacs, and it's still not out for a week. Dial back your hype and take BioWare's press releases with about a thousand grains of salt. Their last Q&A had both good and bad answers, and while they think very highly of the Forged Alliances flashpoint story it's been received as lukewarm by the players in general, YMMV.

Also I feel bad for the confusing way IGN is promoting the 12x XP boost, since this article is on the 24th and it's going away in a week, No mention of that in the article.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    The devs have said many times that there would not be new classes or races. Hopefully they will recant and make more races and classes.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

Originally posted by mayito7777
    The devs have said many times that there would not be new classes or races. Hopefully they will recant and make more races and classes.

Did you just completely forget them adding Cathar for cartel coins in RotHC? And Togruta on the way? I agree that they'll never add new classes though, they can't balance the 4 they have now.

Originally posted by Gorwe
    Speaking of which...

"We are giving 12x xp so players can have fun in stories and skip repetitive MMO things" is a HORRIBLE thing to say. Does it not remind you of certain other statement?

"...so we decided to give players what they really want and that means to cut boring MMO crap out. ... "

Remember that one?

WHY MAKE an MMO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE ONE???

Really...what madness is this?
    I agree, they should have just made a KOTOR 3, and maybe shoehorned in multiplayer minigames like they they felt they needed to on ME3. Their entire design philosophy and choices as an MMO seem really scattered and inconsistent. Massively Multiplayer and Story just don't mix well, because you get a bunch of people in different part of the story, asking each other to spacebar and skip to the gameplay. It's depressing that they didn't see this coming, and that people don't want to be grouped all the time, they just want the feeling of other people around them and seeing their accomplishments at a glance; to bad most of those visual accomplishments ended up being Cartel purchases instead of proof you beat something challenging.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Speaking of which...

"We are giving 12x xp so players can have fun in stories and skip repetitive MMO things" is a HORRIBLE thing to say. Does it not remind you of certain other statement?

"...so we decided to give players what they really want and that means to cut boring MMO crap out. ... "

Remember that one?

WHY MAKE an MMO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE ONE???

Really...what madness is this?

They finally realized who their REAL customers are and that chasing WoW crowd is pretty much pissing up the wind (and their own customers -BW/KOTOR fans) and i surely hope they back it up for REAL this time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As OP goes

They said that in:

And yeah, they sould do more than marketing for new Star Wars IP hype, but sadly, it seems marketing is all they will do.

The first thing that comes to my mind is REAL expansion, but yeah.

Originally posted by hikaru77

This always makes me laugh! The new Hobbit movies didn't generate traffic for LOTRO, they don't even advertise the game in the commercials before the movie. And SWTOR has even less to relate with the Star Wars movie next year than the Hobbit & LOTRO. There will be no spike in SWTOR interest from the movies.

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by Impacthound

This always makes me laugh! The new Hobbit movies didn't generate traffic for LOTRO, they don't even advertise the game in the commercials before the movie. And SWTOR has even less to relate with the Star Wars movie next year than the Hobbit & LOTRO. There will be no spike in SWTOR interest from the movies.

Except LOTR does not have the same type of cult following the Star Wars franchise does.  You don't see LOTR toys taking up entire sections of Walmart.  You can't compare the type of following between Star Wars and Lotr.  Plus LOTRO had been out for 8 years before the hobbit.  

Now I won't sit here and act like I'm 100% correct and make definite answers like you attempted "there will be no spike" but I would guess based on the facts I provided you, you are wrong.  

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    I do not trust Hickman...AT ALL!!!
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well as long as they do not repeat the CF that was the movie tie in they forced in to SWG with a big mallet. It was.. bad... really bad...

But i am inlcined to agree, they will piggyback on the next wave of star wars craze and even if the movie it self does not generate much of a spike the increase in awareness of the brand will. Now i am not saying it will catapult them beyond WoW in sub numbers but i think they will see a positive effect of the new movies.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by Tasslehoff35

Except LOTR does not have the same type of cult following the Star Wars franchise does.  You don't see LOTR toys taking up entire sections of Walmart.  You can't compare the type of following between Star Wars and Lotr.  Plus LOTRO had been out for 8 years before the hobbit.  

Now I won't sit here and act like I'm 100% correct and make definite answers like you attempted "there will be no spike" but I would guess based on the facts I provided you, you are wrong.  

Actually the LOTR fandom is even bigger than Star Wars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuMpDMDJ564

Star Wars may generate more toy sales, but toys are an irrelevant point when we're discussing movie viewership to MMO business. LOTR fans have traditionally been older demographics that are readers and likely already invested in strategy/role-playing and computer games. Adults are playing MMOs, not 8 yr old kids watching Disney shows. If LOTRO didn't attract a surge of business from their movies when you can actually interact with characters, storyline and locations in the game because they're in the same timeline, there's no way "The Force Awakens" will attract any significant number of new players to a 4 year old game that takes place 10,000 years in the past.

"You don't see LOTR toys taking up entire sections of Walmart," Actually you do in most areas, there's still action figures being made for the movies in stores, twice as many console and PC games being made and LEGO has a huge new product line that's current in most locations. YOU may not be a LOTR fan, but lots of other people are, and you can't deny or hide that they're a huge presence.

TL;DR trying to belittle a series doesn't disprove the point that movies don't drive MMO traffic.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/24/revan-is-out-for-blood-in-star-wars-the-old-republics-new-expansion

I really like that they switched their focus to story-telling. That's where BioWare shines and that's what fans of SWTOR are really waiting for image

That's why a lot of us badgered them relentlessly about it on the forums and during cantina events. And cited it as the reason for leaving on the exit surveys.

I'm glad to see it all paid off!

Though in all honesty, the break from story was probably necessary for them to strengthen their foundations with a lot of cool stuff, like Strongholds. image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

I love SWTOR and I am so glad I can turn my nose up at those who said this game will die because hey it is still here with grand plans and doing well. Wish I had more hours in a day but am busy in FFXIV ARR so cannot play SWTOR any more. My sis just bought Dragon Age Inquisition and I am going to try that too .

Just wanted to congratulate a great game like SWTOR and to cheer the players still enjoying this wonderful game.

Unrelated question why is malabooga always listed as user deleted even though he continues to post on many threads even after being deleted.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Actually the LOTR fandom is even bigger than Star Wars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuMpDMDJ564

Star Wars may generate more toy sales, but toys are an irrelevant point when we're discussing movie viewership to MMO business. LOTR fans have traditionally been older demographics that are readers and likely already invested in strategy/role-playing and computer games. Adults are playing MMOs, not 8 yr old kids watching Disney shows. If LOTRO didn't attract a surge of business from their movies when you can actually interact with characters, storyline and locations in the game because they're in the same timeline, there's no way "The Force Awakens" will attract any significant number of new players to a 4 year old game that takes place 10,000 years in the past.

"You don't see LOTR toys taking up entire sections of Walmart," Actually you do in most areas, there's still action figures being made for the movies in stores, twice as many console and PC games being made and LEGO has a huge new product line that's current in most locations. YOU may not be a LOTR fan, but lots of other people are, and you can't deny or hide that they're a huge presence.

TL;DR trying to belittle a series doesn't disprove the point that movies don't drive MMO traffic.

The main difference between Star Wars & LOTR fans is this:

LOTR fans mainly like to play D&D style games in a group around a table. While there is much role playing among the Star Wars crowd you'll find they mainly like to play video games over board games. 

How many LOTR fans do you know like the above?

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

Originally posted by echolynfan

LOTR fans mainly like to play D&D style games in a group around a table. While there is much role playing among the Star Wars crowd you'll find they mainly like to play video games over board games. 

I don't think a like for tabletop role-playing and strategy in real life & computer and video game interest are mutually exclusive. Especially considering the long list of Tolkien-themed games dating back into the 70's, along with many Tolkien-themed MUDs in the 90's.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/tolkien-games/chronology.html

The list for Tolkien single and multiplayer computer games is six times(!) as long as a similar one for Star Wars, snipped from Wikipedia below:

1980s

1990s

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

That's why a lot of us badgered them relentlessly about it on the forums and during cantina events. And cited it as the reason for leaving on the exit surveys.

I'm glad to see it all paid off!

Though in all honesty, the break from story was probably necessary for them to strengthen their foundations with a lot of cool stuff, like Strongholds. image

I'm also really impressed that all the fans asking for what they wanted was finally acknowledged. The devs did state outright in the Redwood Q&A(thread here) that they would have revisited story sooner but the work on GSF and Strongholds got in the way. It remains to be seen if they can deliver in quantity or quality, but it's refreshing for them to finally say something about it.

Originally posted by echolynfan

I don't think a like for tabletop role-playing and strategy in real life & computer and video game interest are mutually exclusive. Especially considering the long list of Tolkien-themed games dating back into the 70's, along with many Tolkien-themed MUDs in the 90's.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/tolkien-games/chronology.html

The list for Tolkien single and multiplayer computer games is six times(!) as long as a similar one for Star Wars, snipped from Wikipedia below:

1980s

1990s

Umm what are you talking about since 2000 you think lotr and SW are the same when it comes to console and pc?  Are you kidding?  LOTR has what Lotro and a few Lego games?  SW has Knights of the old Rebuplic Series, the force unleaded series it had SWG now has SWTOR.  There is no comparison when it comes to pc consoles between lotr and SW since 2000 it's not even close lol.  

I like how you just ignore the points(and whole posts) you can't argue against, and decide to just bash things you don't like. Here's more facts(as if the six-fold lead pre-2000 wasn't enough, and you're ignoring it), since you can't bother looking them up yourself.

26 Lord of the Rings games since 2000: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-earth_in_video_games

and only 2 of them were LEGO(as if being LEGO invalidated anything)

28 Star Wars games since 2000: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_video_games

5 LEGO Star Wars games by the way, since you hate them so much(enough that they have a separate wiki page entirely)

You may not like LOTR, but the fact is they have a presence and audience in the video game market to match Star Wars, and you still haven't been able to dispute my original points.

Umm what are you talking about since 2000 you think lotr and SW are the same when it comes to console and pc?  Are you kidding?  LOTR has what Lotro and a few Lego games?  SW has Knights of the old Rebuplic Series, the force unleaded series it had SWG now has SWTOR.  There is no comparison when it comes to pc consoles between lotr and SW since 2000 it's not even close lol.  

I like how you just ignore the points(and whole posts) you can't argue against, and decide to just bash things you don't like. Here's more facts(as if the six-fold lead pre-2000 wasn't enough, and you're ignoring it), since you can't bother looking them up yourself.

26 Lord of the Rings games since 2000: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-earth_in_video_games

and only 2 of them were LEGO(as if being LEGO invalidated anything)

28 Star Wars games since 2000: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_video_games

5 LEGO Star Wars games by the way, since you hate them so much(enough that they have a separate wiki page entirely)

You may not like LOTR, but the fact is they have a presence and audience in the video game market to match Star Wars, and you still haven't been able to dispute my original points.

Are you sure you counted right?  Apparently you have a hard time telling the truth?  Or didnt look them up yourself.   Since 2000 Star Wars has had over 50 games...You also sit here and complain I ignore your post the points I didnt want to discuss, but then you go ahead and cut out the part that says I love LOTR and then say "you may not like LOTR"  absolutely priceless buddy!!

Since you like to act like you are always right I will go ahead and post all 50+ here for your viewer pleasure and to let the rest of the those who visit this website know what type of poster they will be dealing with if they choose to engage you in a discussion.  Not only did I catch you in a lie but pretty sure i disputed your original points.  

Lord of the Rings has 23 video games since 2000 that includes 5 expansions from LOTRO.

SW has 28 LMAO you are pretty funny....51 or 28 whats the difference right?  

So your "fact" actually isnt a "fact" SW having almost double the amount of games since 2000 to most people wouldnt equal a "match" maybe to you but then we would call that an "opinion" not a "fact"  you should learn the difference between the two if you are going to use the word "fact".  

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (2013) - multiplatform pinball video game

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (2013) - multiplatform pinball video game

Star Wars: Episode I – Obi-Wan's Adventures (2000) - Game Boy Color

Star Wars: Obi-Wan (2001) - Xbox

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2002) (Action) PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox

Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones (2002) - Game Boy Advance

Star Wars: The New Droid Army (2002) - Game Boy Advance

Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith (2005) - PlayStation 2, Game Boy Advance, Xbox, Nintendo DS

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (2005) - Jakks Pacific TV Game

Star Wars GameKey (expansion) (2006) 

Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Lightsaber Duels (2008) - Wii

Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Jedi Alliance (2008) - Nintendo DS

Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Republic Heroes (2009) - Windows, PlayStation 2, Nintendo DS, PlayStation Portable/PlayStation VitaXbox 360PlayStation 3, Wii

Clone Wars Adventures (2010) - Windows, Mac

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2013) - Multi-platform pinball game

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (2002) Windows, Mac, Xbox, Nintendo GameCube

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (2003) Windows, Mac, Xbox

Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (2001) Nintendo GameCube

Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (2003) Nintendo GameCube

Star Wars: Super Bombad Racing (2001) PlayStation 2

Star Wars: Racer Arcade (2000) Arcade

Star Wars Racer Revenge (2002) PlayStation 2

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (2001) Windows, Mac

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns (2002) Windows, Ma

Star Wars: Starfighter (2001) Windows, PlayStation 2

Star Wars: Starfighter Special Edition (2001) XboxStar Wars: Starfighter (2003) Arcade[2]

Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter (2002) Xbox, PlayStation 2

Star Wars GalaxiesAn Empire Divided (2003) Windows

Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed (2004) Windows

Star Wars Galaxies: Episode III Rage of the Wookiees (2005) Windows

Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience (2005) Windows (Since you are using LOTRO expansions ill add them all too. )

Star Wars Galaxies: Trials of Obi-Wan (2005) Windows

Star Wars Galaxies: Starter Kit (2005) Windows

Star Wars Galaxies: The Complete Online Adventures (2006) Windows

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2003) Windows, Xbox, Mac, iOS

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (2005) Windows, Xbox

Star Wars: The Old Republic (2011) (MMORPG) Windows

Star Wars: Battlefront (2004) PlayStation 2, Windows, Xbox, Mac

Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005) PlayStation 2, Windows, Xbox, PlayStation Portable

Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron (2007) PlayStation Portable

Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron (2009) PlayStation Portable, Nintendo DS

Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) PlayStation 4, Windows, Xbox One

Lego Star Wars: The Video Game (2005) Windows, PlayStation 2, Xbox, Nintendo GameCube, Game Boy Advance, Mac

Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy (2006) Windows, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Xbox 360, Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo DS, Game Boy Advance, Mac

Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (2007) Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, Wii, Mac, iOS

Lego Star Wars: The Quest for R2-D2 (2009) Unity[3]

Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (2011) PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS, Wii, PlayStation Portable, Windows, Mac

Lego Star Wars: The Yoda Chronicles (2013) Android, iOS

Star Wars: Empire at War (2006) Windows, Mac OS X

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (2008) Windows, Mac OS, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Wii, Nintendo DS, iPhone OS

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Ultimate Sith Edition (2009)

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (2010) Windows, Wii, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, iPhone OS