Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Smartphone OS do you prefer?

Comments

• Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271

I am plotting a switch to Cyanogenmod version of Android.

I have a Nexus 4, and Google is just too intrusive.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Vrika

Android, I feel I can do more with Android. It's not always the most intuitive, but with some tinkering it always lets me do what I want, and I like how my Nexus device has received OS updates.

Plus it's more than 100$ cheaper than similar iOS device.

the samsung tablet i bought 18 months ago has never received a system update

(it came with 4.1 when i bought it)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007M506WS

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/id-1963742/samsung-galaxy-note-updates.html

As of 10/21/2014 the North American model of the note 10.1 gt-n8013 has not gotten an update to kitkat yet. Most of the world got the n8010 model for wifi only, and they are all updated to kitkat. I expect the kitkat upgrade for N8013 is coming soon.

my samsung tablet is running 4.1 Jellybean and thats functional enough

but i wish android was less finicky about OS updates  (or more properly Samsung)

I will never buy a samsung tablet again -- they were horrible with OS upgrades for  2012 Note 10.1

Custom roms are your friends. You could skip Kitkat and goto the lastest 5.0 Lollipop. I buy nothing but Samsung myself as I love their tech and the prices. So many people buy Samsung there is lots of Custom Roms for them as well. Also no bloatware is awesome =-)

Normally custom roms are the way to go.. in most situations.. but I don't think any custom roms currently have S Pen support, which is really the only reason to buy a note.  I also have the same model Note 10.1 and am a little disappointed with the lack of updates.  I rarely even use it these days unless I'm reading an e-book.

I mean.. nothing is wrong with my note 10,1 at all,  everything still works... it would just be nice to have added functionality with the new releases. 

• MadcappMadcapp Member Posts: 20
    Android as pure as possible. I'll jbreak it if I have to.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by maskedweasel

Android, I feel I can do more with Android. It's not always the most intuitive, but with some tinkering it always lets me do what I want, and I like how my Nexus device has received OS updates.

As of 10/21/2014 the North American model of the note 10.1 gt-n8013 has not gotten an update to kitkat yet. Most of the world got the n8010 model for wifi only, and they are all updated to kitkat. I expect the kitkat upgrade for N8013 is coming soon.

but i wish android was less finicky about OS updates  (or more properly Samsung)

I will never buy a samsung tablet again -- they were horrible with OS upgrades for  2012 Note 10.1

Custom roms are your friends. You could skip Kitkat and goto the lastest 5.0 Lollipop. I buy nothing but Samsung myself as I love their tech and the prices. So many people buy Samsung there is lots of Custom Roms for them as well. Also no bloatware is awesome =-)

Normally custom roms are the way to go.. in most situations.. but I don't think any custom roms currently have S Pen support, which is really the only reason to buy a note.  I also have the same model Note 10.1 and am a little disappointed with the lack of updates.  I rarely even use it these days unless I'm reading an e-book.

I mean.. nothing is wrong with my note 10,1 at all,  everything still works... it would just be nice to have added functionality with the new releases. 

I have a Note 3 and I have used the pen maybe a dozen times and never in a way that made me go "I wana use this again" lol. Maybe I have not used the right apps with it. I really dont remember the last time I used the pen. I hope Samsung updates the OS on you. 

I have a Note 3 and I have used the pen maybe a dozen times and never in a way that made me go "I wana use this again" lol. Maybe I have not used the right apps with it. I really dont remember the last time I used the pen. I hope Samsung updates the OS on you. 

Yeah some people don't even need the S-Pen,  for me, I like to draw with it, and I actually do it quite a lot, which is why I got the 10.1 in the first place.  I looked up and saw that some ROMS do have S-Pen support, so I may test it out on my 10.1 if no updates come out anytime soon.  That I have that option is one of the main reasons I stay with android. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I have a Note 3 and I have used the pen maybe a dozen times and never in a way that made me go "I wana use this gain" lol. Maybe I have not used the right apps with it. I really dont remember the last time I used the pen. I hope Samsung updates the OS on you. 

Samsung announced they would update in June.  i'm confident it will happen someday

http://blog.gsmarena.com/kitkat-updates-seeing-samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-note-10-1-2014-edition-lte/

give or take 9 months image

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    From what I remember reading while Samsung pushes some alright features hardware, their support can be sketchy. Thats not Androids fault that is Samsung. Not bashing the company I owned a tab s and was happy with it. That said I love this nvidia shield tablet more.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Android all the way because apple is overpriced and simply not worth it . I like the choice android offers.
    Chamber of Chains
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

I LOVE my iPhone and ONLY date guys that use Apple stuff... it just smells of success.

Sz  :o)

• june32ndjune32nd Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Elmberry
    Originally posted by faye01

hi guys, i'm just wondering Which of these do you prefer  using for smartphone OS of your phone: Android, iOS or Windows phone?  if you've had extensive experience with both please post your opinion on why you prefer one over the other. 

Feel free to share your ideas guys :) thanks

There is a reason why iPhone is so popular despite it's much more expensive. I have both an android (work) and iPhone (private). After trying both of them I can just say iPhone is much more intuitive. However latest years I think android have improved their OS some. IPhone have also many more apps which you can buy compared to Android. OS is also really simple to use and intuitive. However if you like to customize lots of things maybe Android is your better choice, but if you have the cash and would like a phone which just work without much hassle, you should definitely go for iPhone, even if Android phones have become better and better each year. But it's my opinion. Even my 2 year old son easily learned how to use my iphone. When I gave him my Android he throw it away angry. :)

my nephew was 2 when i got my first android and he had zero issues with it. then again, maybe my family members aren't drowning in bias based on over-marketing and ignorant belief that it's a better options. Mac Book Air comes to mind, AotS did a whole piece on gadget pron section explaining they had to buy almost 1,000 dollard worth of add-ons and accessories to have it run like a laptop. But jesus was it thin! Apple has created an empire of over-priced and under-powered and general not up to snuff...

hows the iOS 8 going? still enjoying all the features Droid users have had for years now?

Originally posted by SaunZ

I LOVE my iPhone and ONLY date guys that use Apple stuff... it just smells of success.

Another great reason to go Android 

:-p

• june32ndjune32nd Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek

I'm an out and proud Apple fanboy. Get over it.

Apple could wrap dog shit in brushed aluminium and I'd buy it.

So, I guess I'm saying iOS. ;-)

you mean like the iOS 8? Seriously, this is why I use droid. To avoid becoming some arrogant, ignorant, trust-fund spending hipster who thinks because he's over-paid for a limited and harshly controlled OS that he's phone is superior. but hey at least you're cool and just like everyone else. 

Apple caters to the sheeple. It's like hearing people saying, "you should use a Mac, they don't have any virus or infection issues... that's because the majority of people don't use them.  Why bother hitting 10 people with a virus on Mac when you could hit 1000 people on Windows. 

what really grinds my gears is that Apple selling a Unix-based OS. Unix was meant to be free. Not glorified and stripped to shit and sold for as much as possible. Enjoy you're Apple Fanboy-ness, Enjoy having a phone so strictly controlled and limited in it's features and capabilities. Enjoy you're non-up-gradable desktops too. Oh you'd like to upgrade your Mac because it's hardware is out of date, fuck you, pay out the ass for a brand new one because we apple ain't giving you any chance to open your tower. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by june32nd
    Originally posted by Elmberry

hi guys, i'm just wondering Which of these do you prefer  using for smartphone OS of your phone: Android, iOS or Windows phone?  if you've had extensive experience with both please post your opinion on why you prefer one over the other. 

There is a reason why iPhone is so popular despite it's much more expensive. I have both an android (work) and iPhone (private). After trying both of them I can just say iPhone is much more intuitive. However latest years I think android have improved their OS some. IPhone have also many more apps which you can buy compared to Android. OS is also really simple to use and intuitive. However if you like to customize lots of things maybe Android is your better choice, but if you have the cash and would like a phone which just work without much hassle, you should definitely go for iPhone, even if Android phones have become better and better each year. But it's my opinion. Even my 2 year old son easily learned how to use my iphone. When I gave him my Android he throw it away angry. :)

my nephew was 2 when i got my first android and he had zero issues with it. then again, maybe my family members aren't drowning in bias based on over-marketing and ignorant belief that it's a better options. Mac Book Air comes to mind, AotS did a whole piece on gadget pron section explaining they had to buy almost 1,000 dollard worth of add-ons and accessories to have it run like a laptop. But jesus was it thin! Apple has created an empire of over-priced and under-powered and general not up to snuff...

hows the iOS 8 going? still enjoying all the features Droid users have had for years now?

This!!!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

This!!!

regardless of past versions -- they are both doing well

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Android-5.0-Lollipop-vs-iOS-8.1-the-best-compared_id62245

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by SaunZ

Another great reason to go Android 

:-p

You only want her dating losers? :-p

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • faye01faye01 Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by Phry

I think it all depends on what your going to use it for, assuming your after something capable of more than just being a mobile phone and taking a few dodgy selfies to share with people on facebook etc. image

Android, is probably the safest bet for most things at this point image

i was laughing so hard on this, somehow this true done it a lot of time taking selfie anywhere at anytime lol. 

but yeah, android established itself strongly on market and maybe 3/4 of the human population using mobile now chooses android over those two i mentioned about and this thing got its lower price compared to iOs. :)

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I like Windows Phone 8 the most with a  mostly stock Android a not too distant second.

Lumia 928 / WP8

My Lumia 928 was probably the best phone I've owned. Everything just worked seamlessly and smoothly. Unfortunately I have to use Google services for work and that just doesn't happen on a Windows Phone. I really hate how Google and Microsoft battle it out with the user losing.

One thing I loved about this phone is there was no battle with putting apps on the local or SD storage like I do with Android. It felt solid and wasn't too big. It also took great pictures and had a ton of camera lenses and apps to mess around with. I didn't get to mess with Cortana on my phone but I did like what I saw of it on another phone. It was a useful assistant.

The hardest adjustment was getting used to the UI and how apps work, but after a couple of weeks I got it down and enjoy how it works better than the old iOS/Android pages of icons method.

The last nice thing about this OS ecosystem is that Microsoft has said they will offer WP8 upgrades to Windows 10 which is going to dramatically improve the WIndows to Windows Phone experience, especially with the unified store.

Galaxy S5 / Android

My current phone is a GS5. I'm not unhappy with it. One thing that is nice about Android is the huge app selection although that is not as significant now as the WP has any major app I used, except Google services. If you're an Amazon user then Android has an easily accessed and safe second app store, but there is a lot of overlap with that and Google Play.

One nice things about Android is how it can be customized even without installing Cyanogen. I really hate the standard Samsung window manager. I installed Google Now and let it be my app starter and I have a very Google Play edition experience with my phone now.

Google Now isn't quite fully baked yet, and I think Cortana is actually more useful if you use your phone for business, but they are improving it. If you can get a Google Inbox invite, then using it with Google now, voice, and Hangouts is pretty useful

Conclusion

Overall I would say if you're a Windows user not heavily tied into the Google ecosystem (i.e.: you don't need to use Hangouts, voice, and the like for your work), then get a nice higher end Windows Phone. If not then get the most stock Android phone you can. Avoid Samsung if possible, but don't sacrifice hardware power just to avoid them. Lastly stay away from Verizon if you can. They have been a major pain in my ass. They're the sole reason I don't have WP8.1 on my Lumia or up to date Android on my GS5.

If,

1. Windows had more , better phone tablet options I would love Windows to have a windows device.  Assuming the software and hardware essentially allow the user to have the same freedom as pc's.

2. My only real gripe about Android / Google is privacy.  I don't know what IOS's Eco system is like not that familiar with Apple devices. I use to manage my stuff to the point of having clean emails for just about everything. Pages of unique and completely random passwords  for everything.  I have had my identity used malicously. You can look at some of my older post pre smart phone tablet user. Give me a device that doesn't want to tie me into a Eco system at every turn and I'll instantly buy. I've formed some bad habits using Android.  That seems to be the exact opposite of what most people want however. So i am boned I guess.

I really am loving my shield tablet. It fucking blows the Samsung tab s 10.5 tablet I had out of the water. Price point . great forward facing speakers good for movies. Perfect size. Powerful. Only down side is its not the 64 bit chip.  $299. For wifi version. Hard to beat that price point with what this device can do and I've yet to try certain key features. Windows on this and I would have been in heaven. I think? Might not be powerful enough. 

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

If iOS weren't by Apple and two-three times the price, It would be my choice because it is simple and stuff just works - the advantage of full control of everything and a limited set of hardware. Apple are just dicks, and macs are overpriced and macOS were outdated in 1995..iOS unfortunately saved them from extinction. The problem with Apple in a nutshell is they try to be different, just to be different, not to be better.. Which has lead to a few good things and a shitload of crap, technically.

If Windows phone had any kind of marked share that would ensure most developers making apps for it, that would be my choice. Having made applications and apps for many different system, I have found a new appreciation for Microsoft.. Yes they were also kind of dicks but that is history and atleast not as bad as Apple and also they are not in the data collecting business like Google is.

So I am going with Android based on principle and price, although Android is horribly managed and error prone. Writing apps for android is a nightmare of trying to fit 100k devices with 100k different OS versions and funny firmware. Google are inventors and always on the edge, and that is a problem when it comes to delivering a good product to the end user.. It is getting better with Android 5, but it will take years before the majority of phones get there. If you are on the lookout for an android phone I can recommend the OnePlus One, just got one myself.

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561

I like windows phones because I love the interface. It's very simple. You just have the main page where you can pin applications and scroll and the second page that has a list of all your applications. I like that all the icons are squares and fit neatly with each other. I also very much like that the applications are on one page where you can scroll up and down instead of multiple pages like android or apple. You can also choose the color scheme for the icons and background.

I know android and apple have more applications on their market place but I don't care about that. I use my phone for call, text, email, web, occasional picture and audio books and honestly it's perfect for me. It's a nokia 520 that I bought for about $50.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Sorry but not sure what connection this has with MMORPG's. Hope this site will not turn to general forum with all in one.

• SwartLodewykSwartLodewyk Member UncommonPosts: 18

Posted by Nanfoodle on 12/01/14 at 8:17:09 PM

<div showborder"="">

WIndows as of yet does not have enough apps to backing it to be worth buying IMO. They has some nice tech but what good is tech if you cant get the software you want. 

Apple, very few custom options, proprietary cables and software that keeps you buying apples products to get quality or all the cheap knock off that are really crap and dont stand up to ware and tare. So you end up spending more. Also apple over charges for their tech so you will be paying a mark of up 20-30% to get the same tech. Ok number of apps. Only good thing about them is the free OS rolls out you get. Something Android needs to work on.

Android. No one to tell you what you can and cant do with your tech. Its a user dream. You can customize anything you want and buy or swap cables with anything on the market as nothing is proprietary. You can buy a phone or table thats way more powerful then Apple products and pay much less. Number of apps out there and the number of free apps is on a level no company can touch. Only problem is when a new OS is rolled out the hand off between Google, the company that made your device and then the carrier you wont see as many updates as you would like but with custom roms you can get almost any update you want.

In the end Im a anything but apple guy. I love the freedom to do what ever I want with my device. From what I put on it or where it comes from. Being able to even change the OS to a custom rom you cant beat it. Android is all about freedom, lower prices and so many free apps you almost never have to pay for anything.

Any one who have ever visited the windows phone store will disagree there more than 300 000 according to cnet.

Apple have a free os upgrade for life hence not over charging for that some great free apps aswell.

Edward Snowden (wikileaks) have warned us against the new Evil that is Google. EU are closing down on Google with new legislation and Google self have admitted they no longer are the good guys.  :) Google loves to spy on you. "Just as a sender of a letter to a business colleague cannot be surprised that the recipient's assistant opens the letter, people who use web-based email today cannot be surprised if their communications are processed by the recipient's ECS [electronic communications service] provider in the course of delivery."  .... Google can read your email !

All the major 4 Windows 8.1 (soon windows 10 :)), IOS , Android and Blackberry have great advantages I Would place them as follows :Windows 8.1, New Blackbery and IOS close second , Android trailing behind. That is the reason that Google is not releasing there software for windows (The ease and low cost of developing for WP have made it possible for 3rd parties to preform these tasks though ... bad luck google) Eventough google is making the same monumental mistake that blackberry did with BBM they seem to not care something that in 3-5 years time the will regret. with the new Blackberry phones being so good and the amazing oppertunities that windows 10 not windows phone 10 will offer phone users

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

I'm an out and proud Apple fanboy. Get over it.

Apple could wrap dog shit in brushed aluminium and I'd buy it.

So, I guess I'm saying iOS. ;-)

you mean like the iOS 8? Seriously, this is why I use droid. To avoid becoming some arrogant, ignorant, trust-fund spending hipster who thinks because he's over-paid for a limited and harshly controlled OS that he's phone is superior. but hey at least you're cool and just like everyone else. 

Apple caters to the sheeple. It's like hearing people saying, "you should use a Mac, they don't have any virus or infection issues... that's because the majority of people don't use them.  Why bother hitting 10 people with a virus on Mac when you could hit 1000 people on Windows. 

what really grinds my gears is that Apple selling a Unix-based OS. Unix was meant to be free. Not glorified and stripped to shit and sold for as much as possible. Enjoy you're Apple Fanboy-ness, Enjoy having a phone so strictly controlled and limited in it's features and capabilities. Enjoy you're non-up-gradable desktops too. Oh you'd like to upgrade your Mac because it's hardware is out of date, fuck you, pay out the ass for a brand new one because we apple ain't giving you any chance to open your tower. 

Wow, I'm just answering the question posed by the OP. I made no value judgement about any other mobile OS or any person using them. This has nothing to do with you and whatever misplaced anger you seem to have. Seek professional help...or ask your parents to change your diaper, troll.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Windows because of Cortana.

It also looks good , is responsive and not everyone and their grandma has it (looking at you iTrend)

The apple crap has continued to go downhill since Jobs died, did you see the newest commercial for what the iphone 6 can do? It can transfer a call to your ipad.... WOO WEE! Something third party apps have been doing for some time now... but its commercial worth when they finally catch up...

Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by june32nd Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek I'm an out and proud Apple fanboy. Get over it. Apple could wrap dog shit in brushed aluminium and I'd buy it. So, I guess I'm saying iOS. ;-)
      you mean like the iOS 8? Seriously, this is why I use droid. To avoid becoming some arrogant, ignorant, trust-fund spending hipster who thinks because he's over-paid for a limited and harshly controlled OS that he's phone is superior. but hey at least you're cool and just like everyone else   Apple caters to the sheeple. It's like hearing people saying, "you should use a Mac, they don't have any virus or infection issues... that's because the majority of people don't use them.  Why bother hitting 10 people with a virus on Mac when you could hit 1000 people on Windows.    what really grinds my gears is that Apple selling a Unix-based OS. Unix was meant to be free. Not glorified and stripped to shit and sold for as much as possible. Enjoy you're Apple Fanboy-ness, Enjoy having a phone so strictly controlled and limited in it's features and capabilities. Enjoy you're non-up-gradable desktops too. Oh you'd like to upgrade your Mac because it's hardware is out of date, fuck you, pay out the ass for a brand new one because we apple ain't giving you any chance to open your tower. 
    Wow your a jerk. You sound like your the one wanting to be the cool kid with this I don't buy what the ignorant masses buy bull shit and treating people like less than human because they like something you don't.

Not really it just sounds like he hit a nerve and you are overly sensitive quite possibly because you can relate.

Originally posted by june32nd Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek I'm an out and proud Apple fanboy. Get over it. Apple could wrap dog shit in brushed aluminium and I'd buy it. So, I guess I'm saying iOS. ;-)
      you mean like the iOS 8? Seriously, this is why I use droid. To avoid becoming some arrogant, ignorant, trust-fund spending hipster who thinks because he's over-paid for a limited and harshly controlled OS that he's phone is superior. but hey at least you're cool and just like everyone else.    Apple caters to the sheeple. It's like hearing people saying, "you should use a Mac, they don't have any virus or infection issues... that's because the majority of people don't use them.  Why bother hitting 10 people with a virus on Mac when you could hit 1000 people on Windows.    what really grinds my gears is that Apple selling a Unix-based OS. Unix was meant to be free. Not glorified and stripped to shit and sold for as much as possible. Enjoy you're Apple Fanboy-ness, Enjoy having a phone so strictly controlled and limited in it's features and capabilities. Enjoy you're non-up-gradable desktops too. Oh you'd like to upgrade your Mac because it's hardware is out of date, fuck you, pay out the ass for a brand new one because we apple ain't giving you any chance to open your tower. 
    Wow, I'm just answering the question posed by the OP. I made no value judgement about any other mobile OS or any person using them. This has nothing to do with you and whatever misplaced anger you seem to have. Seek professional help...or ask your parents to change your diaper, troll.

I have to go out of my way to point out yet another super-sensitive user who's response shows a nerve was hit, an indication that the poster he was responding to was absolutely correct.