Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Ten RPG Features We’re Thankful For

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It’s Thanksgiving week here in America, and if you’re anything like us, you’re in a turkey-induced haze, ready to log into your favorite video game. It’s also a time of year to reflect and think about all of the things we’re grateful for. This week, the RPG Files is taking a break from its usual format to bring you the ten things we’re thankful for in modern RPGs.

Read more of Christopher Coke's The RPG Files: 10 RPG Features We're Thankful For.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

It's not just Destiny, it's GW2 as well. It's not received any real additions to it's exploratory side or secret locations either.

Seems to be a problem across all of MMOdom lately, If people actually made mmo's to be RPGs like they used to they wouldn't be so boring anymore after that initial content release you know the one I mean where the game launches people level to max, than wonder what is there to do at this point after about 5-6 months. That too seems to be a constant in the MMO worlds that have been released since 2011.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Skyrim felt less alive then e.g. Dragon Age or Mass Effect. While the NPCs do follow a schedule and go to bed and to work..that schedule is hard set. The moment the clock shows it's 6 in the morning *everyone* stands up. The moment it's 6 in the evening (or whatever) *everyone* goes home. Exactly 6 hours later, *everyone* goes to bed. And they do not take breaks.

Also, no one recognizes you. The archmage of Winterhold, Jarl in several different cities, dragonborn and slayer of dozen of dragons.. ""kill 10 rats". The NPCs also always say the same thing.

In games like DA or Mass Effect, even in Diablo (1 & 2 at least), people recognize you and what you did.

The only people in Skyrim that do are the asssasins etc. You accidently shoot a guy you didn't even know was there because he was 500 meters away and hid behind the dragon you wanted to kill 100 km from the next cities in the middle of the mountain during a raging snowstorm..but somehow they found out, even when you stow the corpse in the middle of a crypt filled with undead, when the last guy who even suspected of that crypts existence died 2000 years ago.

And the world is empty. Sure, it has hundreds of caves and crypts, but still rather empty, and they are exactly the same, down to the hallway leading back to the entrance as the last twenty you visited.

And it certainly does neither feature conversations trees nor multiple ending...

So yeah, i 'm thankful for living worlds, but Skyrim is hardly the best example..

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Thanks for posting DAI video with iron Bull... priceless LOL.

Dragon Age Inquisition is coming really close for me as THIS PErFECT one. All what was said: meaningful explorations, puzzles, codexes etc, surprising dungeons, well surprizing demons behind closed hut doors LOL. And DRAGONS.... scary stuff.  Classes are very diverse and I really want to try all of them, which means it will take me years to finish the game LOL. Nothing is wrong with that though. Combat needs some work (I play mage right now so I don't have complains but I know the melee classes do) , but when devs work it out it's going to be perfect.

I was not as excited with exploaraion in Skyrim, though I admit I did not spend much time there, got bored real fast. Also DAI is much more beautiful and diversified than Skyrim in my opinion.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by Gorwe

Yeah, I am thankful for more important stuff.

Games are just entertainment, you know?

Games make you happy, being happy makes you perform better in the more important stuff

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Gorwe

Yeah, I am thankful for more important stuff.

Games are just entertainment, you know?

But that wouldn't be an article for a gaming site now would it?

• xjohnyappleseedxjohnyappleseed Member Posts: 1

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    7 of these are not important to me, at all... and I have been an avid RPGamer for 26 years.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Most of your list I agree with.  But... numbers 8 and 10 I could do without :)

Romance is not why I play video games.  I am just not comfortable flirting with pixels.  Just a personal choice :)

The stories is iffy, for me.  "Savior of the Universe" stories are not good in MMOs when thousands of other players are also named as such.  However, stories that branch and give results based on previous choices are awesome :)

Otherwise, a great list!

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Good article.  I'm thankful for voice acting and being able to watch an entire game I won't be playing on youtube, makes a great movie.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Would be nice if those features could be found in MMORPG's too :p
  • GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Funny what's said about PoE.....really most people use 1-2 attack skills, and 2-3 defense skills, and that's it......not really a bevy of choice....other than what your alt will be....
  • JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    If it has action combat, it's not an rpg.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    Originally posted by JRRNeiklot

I totally disagree. It's not just the combat system that makes a game an RPG. Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Witcher 2, Mass Effect 2 are three big examples that come to mind. JRPGs are a little closer to what  you're getting at but even that's not totally consistent.

• ShavaKaShavaKa Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Exploration and mystery are a good one for me, I'd like to see some underwater development - could be a whole world right there. There's so much lacking in games yet and with all the microtrans, subs, dlc, sequels etc, it just seems like you're paying to play a commercial. Messed up.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by JRRNeiklot

I don't agree with that at all.

I suppose there are people who share your thinking but there are "rpg" players who just love to tick little boxes and add +1's for every little thing.

How dry.

To me a role playing game is about the story and the "role" you play within that story. It's about choices and its then about being able to build your character to support those choices.

For example, Deus Ex Human revolution is a fine role playing game but you aim to shoot.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo