Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Smartphone OS do you prefer?

faye01faye01 Member Posts: 64

hi guys, i'm just wondering Which of these do you prefer  using for smartphone OS of your phone: Android, iOS or Windows phone?  if you've had extensive experience with both please post your opinion on why you prefer one over the other. 

Feel free to share your ideas guys :) thanks

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

I think it all depends on what your going to use it for, assuming your after something capable of more than just being a mobile phone and taking a few dodgy selfies to share with people on facebook etc. image

Android, is probably the safest bet for most things at this point image

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Niether of the 3 you mentioned. IMO the best smartphone OS is still Symbion (Nokia). 2nd best is Android (which I use now).
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

it mostly depends on your tastes and what os your friends are using

ios has the most boardgames adaptations

http://funboardgames.org/ios-board-games/

http://boardgamegeek.com/blog/164/ios-board-games

both android and ios have plenty to offer for entertainment

• TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208

Originally posted by Phry I think it all depends on what your going to use it for, assuming your after something capable of more than just being a mobile phone and taking a few dodgy selfies to share with people on facebook etc.   Android, is probably the safest bet for most things at this point
    I was trying to respond to this but I had to wait until I was able to stop laughing at this post sorry LOL

Android is the most virus infestedmalware infestedhacked piece of crap you can find for an OS for phones. To say it is the safest is probably the funniest thing I've ever heard LOL

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by TheGoblinKing

Originally posted by Phry I think it all depends on what your going to use it for, assuming your after something capable of more than just being a mobile phone and taking a few dodgy selfies to share with people on facebook etc.   Android, is probably the safest bet for most things at this point
    I was trying to respond to this but I had to wait until I was able to stop laughing at this post sorry LOL

Android is the most virus infestedmalware infestedhacked piece of crap you can find for an OS for phones. To say it is the safest is probably the funniest thing I've ever heard LOL

Unless you dont know exactly what you androids playstore is a virus and mallware infected pit...

you should only choose android if you cant pay the other 2 sollutions or are an abuser and not just a user

my choice would be IoS, 

- free ios updates for many years

- best support of 3rd party software in the appstore

- easiest interface

- allways does what you want

- retail vallue of used IoS devices is extremely high.

another option is windows, but the RT version on phones and lacks a lot of software options, windows however is by far the most secure option, espescially if you go for a windows pro tablet you also have access to all professional windows production software suits.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

Used both, Android by far if you are an experienced user, you can simply do a lot more with it including customization.

If you just use it to make phone calls and use facebook then you might be better off with iOS as its simple enough...

Another problem was that iOS simply did not have any good phones... just the iPhone and its screen was too small to do anything work related on it. Now with the larger iPhone this has changed but you still only have ONE option... compared to Android where i have a Note 3 with a stylus.

As i have noticed in the office, people who like simple phones and don`t use them for much except social stuff like the iPhone because its simple and easy to use while the ones that can actually use and need all that Android capability(including the better phones) use Android....

Then there is Windows Phone but it lacks features and i don`t mean the Samsung one that keeps the screen on as long as you look at it, but even the apps get slower updates there... 

• slikeytreslikeytre Member UncommonPosts: 40

Prefer Android - Better phones, better customization, better company... 

I would ignore anyone who says the android market is filled with malware.  Malware on android usually only consists of an app using push notifications and simply uninstalling the app fix's that quick enough.  Also looking at the Star rating or reading a few comments before installing apps goes a long way.  I cant remember the last time i even came across an app that was anything id consider malware though.

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Android by miles. More options in phones , tablets. More freedom to do what you want with it. If knowledgeable enough complete freedom from what I understand. Apple locks you into a small selection of products. Software that limits to some extent what you can do. I find the appstore argument a bit hard to believe. I've use an apple tablet and laptop recently and was not impressed at all.

I'm playing FIFA 15 from androids store on my shield tablet with the controller and its flatout amazing. I suck at it but that's another story. I wish shield had a few more games ported to it but can use my desktop to stream games or use the hub to stream them from Grid. I have little doubt other android tablets can do the same. Minus the Nvidia specific software. This is just what I currently have after my tab s 10.5 folded in half and someone tossed it out.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    None here I prefer discussion on game related stuff
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Personally 2 cans and a string works best for me. 

Don't have to worry about the Gestapo, I mean homeland security illegally and unconstitutionally recording my calls. And or my wireless provider to be illegally selling access to my call contents.

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269

Or you could read his post again. A bit more carefully.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Depends what you want out of your mobile OS.

Me I am "all business" with my phone so I like BlackBerry OS. Sure you have almost no apps for games and all that silly crap the masses do with their phones. But for email and document handling you cant beat it. :)

Long Live CrackBerry!

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305

Android. It's the most customisable OS and it's also not made by Apple. So you don't have to overpay for a phone to use it.

• ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Originally posted by faye01

hi guys, i'm just wondering Which of these do you prefer  using for smartphone OS of your phone: Android, iOS or Windows phone?  if you've had extensive experience with both please post your opinion on why you prefer one over the other. 

There is a reason why iPhone is so popular despite it's much more expensive. I have both an android (work) and iPhone (private). After trying both of them I can just say iPhone is much more intuitive. However latest years I think android have improved their OS some. IPhone have also many more apps which you can buy compared to Android. OS is also really simple to use and intuitive. However if you like to customize lots of things maybe Android is your better choice, but if you have the cash and would like a phone which just work without much hassle, you should definitely go for iPhone, even if Android phones have become better and better each year. But it's my opinion. Even my 2 year old son easily learned how to use my iphone. When I gave him my Android he throw it away angry. :)

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    This thread will be MMORPGs version of the movie Idiocracy before it's closed.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

I'm an out and proud Apple fanboy. Get over it.

Apple could wrap dog shit in brushed aluminium and I'd buy it.

So, I guess I'm saying iOS. ;-)

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

WIndows as of yet does not have enough apps to backing it to be worth buying IMO. They has some nice tech but what good is tech if you cant get the software you want. 

Apple, very few custom options, proprietary cables and software that keeps you buying apples products to get quality or all the cheap knock off that are really crap and dont stand up to ware and tare. So you end up spending more. Also apple over charges for their tech so you will be paying a mark of up 20-30% to get the same tech. Ok number of apps. Only good thing about them is the free OS rolls out you get. Something Android needs to work on.

Android. No one to tell you what you can and cant do with your tech. Its a user dream. You can customize anything you want and buy or swap cables with anything on the market as nothing is proprietary. You can buy a phone or table thats way more powerful then Apple products and pay much less. Number of apps out there and the number of free apps is on a level no company can touch. Only problem is when a new OS is rolled out the hand off between Google, the company that made your device and then the carrier you wont see as many updates as you would like but with custom roms you can get almost any update you want.

In the end Im a anything but apple guy. I love the freedom to do what ever I want with my device. From what I put on it or where it comes from. Being able to even change the OS to a custom rom you cant beat it. Android is all about freedom, lower prices and so many free apps you almost never have to pay for anything.

If you install side loaded apps you can get burned but that the thing you have the freedom to install anything you want. Apple has things locked up so tight sure its rare you mess things up. But with Android I have the freedom to download hacked apps not pay a red cent. Sometimes that comes at a cost of getting a virus but its so easy to stick with the google store thats very low risk or factory reset and fix the problem in a few min it dont matter. 

Originally posted by Elmberry

There is a reason why iPhone is so popular despite it's much more expensive. I have both an android (work) and iPhone (private). After trying both of them I can just say iPhone is much more intuitive. However latest years I think android have improved their OS some. IPhone have also many more apps which you can buy compared to Android. OS is also really simple to use and intuitive. However if you like to customize lots of things maybe Android is your better choice, but if you have the cash and would like a phone which just work without much hassle, you should definitely go for iPhone, even if Android phones have become better and better each year. But it's my opinion. Even my 2 year old son easily learned how to use my iphone. When I gave him my Android he throw it away angry. :)

Thats funny because my 80 year old mother in law was the other way around. Tried her friends Apple tablet as a lone for a week and could not get things done she wanted to and after a week she could only really cruse the web. I bought her an Android Tab 3 tablet and within a few days she was doing things that shocked me. She loves her tablet. Kitkat 4.4 really upped the UI. Funny some of Apples new reveals for their UI was all taken from Android lol. Not saying Google has not done the same thing but over time as things evolve I think UI will not matter much between the two other then the ability to customize and that is king with Android. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Thats funny because my 80 year old mother in law was the other way around. Tried her friends Apple tablet as a lone for a week and could not get things done she wanted to and after a week she could only really cruse the web. I bought her an Android Tab 3 tablet and within a few days she was doing things that shocked me. She loves her tablet. Kitkat 4.4 really upped the UI. Funny some of Apples new reveals for their UI was all taken from Android lol. Not saying Google has not done the same thing but over time as things evolve I think UI will not matter much between the two other then the ability to customize and that is king with Android. 

I highly doubt that...

its a fact that IoS is more intuitive espescially for people with no earlier computer experience...  

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I highly doubt that...

its a fact that IoS is more intuitive espescially for people with no earlier computer experience...  

You calling me a lier? :-P I would let my mother in law respond but she does not know what a forum is lol. She did figure out Instagram on her own lol

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Android, I feel I can do more with Android. It's not always the most intuitive, but with some tinkering it always lets me do what I want, and I like how my Nexus device has received OS updates.

Plus it's more than 100$ cheaper than similar iOS device.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

All of these systems have their benefits.

iOS is alright, but primarily the only reason I tell people to use or keep iOS is because either:

A) They really don't need to do anything other than make calls, and listen to music

B) They've been using iCloud or iTunes and want to sync their information with their phone.

Once you become entrenched in the apple world, its easier to stay there than to move on to something else.  Apple works great with apple.  Android works great with everything,  but it takes a little more setting up.  Googles cloud services are really all I ever need, and it syncs with all of my windows based and android based items with ease.

For example, when my company was finally done with the whole Blackberry fiasco, they tried migrating to the iPhone for business despite me saying they should move to android.  They lasted a month, and now they are all running on Galaxy Notes, either version 3 or 4.  One user is still on an old Q10 blackberry because some people will never change.

I use an Android device...  and love it, but I was an early adopter for android and I'm more of a high end user.  More than half my family is on android too, not so much because its their preferred operating system (because they don't care about the operating system)  they care about affordability and having their choice of phone.

That being said, prior to kitkat,  and with google finally trying to reel in fragmentation of their operating system among all the different brands, that is one thing you don't have to worry much about with iPhone.  Fragmentation does give way to lots of different and unintended results with certain apps running differently on different phones, carriers, and hardware.

And as for malware and viruses,  its extremely rare that the majority of users get anything like that on their phones.  I install apps outside of the appstore as another user mentioned,  but I have the app "lookout"  which is more than just an antivirus, its a security tool that all of us in our company have that will also wipe data if you lose your phone (and also has options so that you can find your phone if lost).   In all the apps that I've downloaded OFF of googles market, only one contained a virus, and it was caught.   (and you have to disable the security to download these apps anyways).    So the average user will never have an issue with malware. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Vrika

Android, I feel I can do more with Android. It's not always the most intuitive, but with some tinkering it always lets me do what I want, and I like how my Nexus device has received OS updates.

the samsung tablet i bought 18 months ago has never received a system update

(it came with 4.1 when i bought it)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007M506WS

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/id-1963742/samsung-galaxy-note-updates.html

As of 10/21/2014 the North American model of the note 10.1 gt-n8013 has not gotten an update to kitkat yet. Most of the world got the n8010 model for wifi only, and they are all updated to kitkat. I expect the kitkat upgrade for N8013 is coming soon.

my samsung tablet is running 4.1 Jellybean and thats functional enough

but i wish android was less finicky about OS updates  (or more properly Samsung)

I will never buy a samsung tablet again -- they were horrible with OS upgrades for  2012 Note 10.1

Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Vrika

the samsung tablet i bought 18 months ago has never received a system update

(it came with 4.1 when i bought it)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007M506WS

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/id-1963742/samsung-galaxy-note-updates.html

As of 10/21/2014 the North American model of the note 10.1 gt-n8013 has not gotten an update to kitkat yet. Most of the world got the n8010 model for wifi only, and they are all updated to kitkat. I expect the kitkat upgrade for N8013 is coming soon.

my samsung tablet is running 4.1 Jellybean and thats functional enough

but i wish android was less finicky about OS updates  (or more properly Samsung)

I will never buy a samsung tablet again -- they were horrible with OS upgrades for  2012 Note 10.1

Custom roms are your friends. You could skip Kitkat and goto the lastest 5.0 Lollipop. I buy nothing but Samsung myself as I love their tech and the prices. So many people buy Samsung there is lots of Custom Roms for them as well. Also no bloatware is awesome =-)